Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Hopefully it means we'll be able to craft ourselves chainsaw arms soon

That would be incredibly rad.

I'm hoping we get a couple new mutations later on too, it feels like we're lacking a few classics such as tentacles and acidic spit. It'd be cool to get one that gives you a bit attack and/or different bonuses with appropriate negatives (vegetarianism/carnivorism, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Caves of Qud: Would be good if it actually had content

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Unormal posted:

Caves of Qud: Would be good if it actually had content

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself, there's plenty to be found!

Like this randomly generated book with 57 pages!

:psyduck:

But in all seriousness, the game is great.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I concur. This game is bloody amazing. Please keep working on it! With an eventual IOS version I will be playing it everywhere I go.

Started a new tinkerer/hunter style character last night and stumbled onto a space-time vortex in an underground biome 1 stair up from the waterlogged tunnel. It had insanely powerful creatures coming out of it that started to fight the mechanimist priest, paladins, etc that had spawned next to it too giving me some carbide armour and a folded carbide long sword when one of them died. There was also a dromad merchant about 8 tiles away from it.

After messing around with the wish command on a test character and realising you can spawn campfires, bedrolls and torch sconces I've pimped out a house in Joppa to call my own.

Have you considered adding the skill/ability to build walls and such? Being able to carve out a house in this game would be awesome.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 5, 2016

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Your feet is dismembered! Play again?

(I hope this never gets fixed)

edit: I just found a body of liquid called 'Empty'. I thought maybe it was just an empty pool, but I could actually fill a waterskin with it and empty it out all over myself, soaking my spines and shoes with [] (blank space)

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 1, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Pumpkinreaper posted:

edit: I just found a body of liquid called 'Empty'. I thought maybe it was just an empty pool, but I could actually fill a waterskin with it and empty it out all over myself, soaking my spines and shoes with [] (blank space)

Go to the fungal jungle and see if you can make some empty oozes.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Pumpkinreaper posted:

So you're saying you found a full empty? Man, this is Roadside Picnic all over again! Just be careful around silvery cobwebs :ohdear:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

So you're saying you found a full empty? Man, this is Roadside Picnic all over again! Just be careful around silvery cobwebs :ohdear:

...that is brilliant.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
I'm unable to select a bunch of character backgrounds to start the game. Arconaut, Scholar, Warden, Water Merchant, and Watervine Farmer are all mysteriously unselectable in character customization (the Next button does nothing). I also can't even select a True Kin!

edit: This is for the Overlay UI only. The console-based UI works fine.

Cybermg fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 2, 2016

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
edit: I've literally forgotten how to edit posts

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Unormal posted:

• If you return to the surface from world map, without moving on the world map, you will return to the same location on the surface.

:yeah:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Tread catiously.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
If you haven't tried a build that uses proselytize/beguile (or both), you need to.

It's fun seeing how many things you can get a follower to wear/wield.

Like for example, I currently have an eyeless crab follower wearing an elastyne skin-suit and can't get the mental image of it wearing a plug-suit (evangelion) out of my head.

edit: Dressup is fun.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 2, 2016

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Double posting if only because I had something ridiculous happen.

So, I was tackling Bethesda Susa after having done Golgotha (and having befriended a certain Mollusk and made him a follower), I encounter the first of the troll bosses. This was my second time getting this far and didn't have a hard time with any but the last one, so I go into it and don't think much of when he gets into melee range.

Dude uses hook and drag and runs back to the pool of luminescence, with me in tow, so I decide to use force bubble to get some breathing room and maybe take things a little more seriously.

This happened (Read bottom to top):

quote:

> luminous luminous luminous Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x7) for 37
damage with his two-handed carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [20]
> luminous luminous Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x7) for 23 damage with
his two-handed carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [22]
> luminous bloody Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x7) for 31 damage with his
two-handed carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [27]
> Your right hand is dismembered!
> You drop the scoped masterwork carbine 9 1d10 [lead slug x24].
> You unequip scoped masterwork carbine 9 1d10 [lead slug x24]
> You drop the fullerite dagger 6/10 2d5.
> You unequip fullerite dagger 6/10 2d5
> The luminous Jotun, Who Parts Limbs dismembers your Right Hand!!
> Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x7) for 22 damage with his two-handed
carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [22]
> Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x7) for 21 damage with his two-handed
carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [15]
> Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x6) for 21 damage with his two-handed
carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [18]
> The Jotun, Who Parts Limbs cleaves through your armor!
> You died.

You were killed by Jotun, Who Parts Limbs.
> Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x1) for 8 damage with his two-handed
carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [9]
> You begin bleeding!
> Your feet is dismembered!
> You drop the plastifer sneakers 1 1.
> You unequip plastifer sneakers 1 1
> The Jotun, Who Parts Limbs dismembers your Feet!!
> Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x2) for 9 damage with his two-handed
carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [18]
> Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x2) for 16 damage with his two-handed
carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [12]
> Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x6) for 33 damage with his two-handed
carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [24]
> Jotun, Who Parts Limbs hits (x3) for 9 damage with his two-handed
carbide battle axe 10/10 1d8! [12]
> The Jotun, Who Parts Limbs cleaves through your armor!
> You pass by a green tile.
> You pass by a white tile.
> You pass by a green tile.
> You pass by a white tile.

Yup, 58 attacks in one round for 257 damage total. Almost 3 times my life :shepface:

I couldn't even get mad that force bubble didn't work.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jotun is a goddamn slaughter machine and you do not want to be in melee with him under any circumstances unless you are also a goddamn slaughter machine. Don't even give him a chance to charge you.

Congrats on recruiting Slog though. I didn't even know that was possible :stare:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I couldn't even get mad that force bubble didn't work.
Unless something's changed very recently, it should.

My go to tactic for Jotun is force wall/force bubble + masterwork carbine to the face.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

tooterfish posted:

Unless something's changed very recently, it should.

My go to tactic for Jotun is force wall/force bubble + masterwork carbine to the face.

Force bubble works but it won't separate you from someone already in melee.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No it should do that too, unless there isn't room for them to be pushed back.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Hook & Drag might interfere with that.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Getting someone stuck between your force bubble and a wall should splat them. It'd be broken but fun.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

How does auto-eat decide what to munch on? Can I carry around tacos as trade goods or should I stash them somewhere?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

resistentialism posted:

How does auto-eat decide what to munch on? Can I carry around tacos as trade goods or should I stash them somewhere?

Stash them. I dunno the rule, but it can and will eat yuckwheat and other extremely valuable things as a snack.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hook & Drag might interfere with that.

That is probably why it didn't work.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

Jotun is a goddamn slaughter machine and you do not want to be in melee with him under any circumstances unless you are also a goddamn slaughter machine. Don't even give him a chance to charge you.

Congrats on recruiting Slog though. I didn't even know that was possible :stare:
At this point I think black slimes are way more dangerous than the slug of samson because black slimes give you delicious game-ending ironshank and it's easier than ever to get rid of glotrot.

buff glotrot please

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

buff glotrot please

Upgrade glotrot to an aggressive necrotic infection in a random body part. If it rolls face, you got classic glotrot. Otherwise you might end up with Ash-Foot, Brain Fever, Gang-nail, or even Sloughback, which doesn't sound too bad until your entire back climbs off your body like some demonic gangrene slug and tries to kill you.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

At this point I think black slimes are way more dangerous than the slug of samson because black slimes give you delicious game-ending ironshank and it's easier than ever to get rid of glotrot.

buff glotrot please

How is it game ending? Or is it because it cripples your move speed?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Pumpkinreaper posted:

How is it game ending? Or is it because it cripples your move speed?

It'll eventually slow you down so much you can't move.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
182 reviews till we have a shot at showing overwhelmingly positive on Steam; if you like Caves of Qud each positive review helps a lot. :)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Upgrade glotrot to an aggressive necrotic infection in a random body part. If it rolls face, you got classic glotrot. Otherwise you might end up with Ash-Foot, Brain Fever, Gang-nail, or even Sloughback, which doesn't sound too bad until your entire back climbs off your body like some demonic gangrene slug and tries to kill you.

Hello :allears:

Unormal posted:

182 reviews till we have a shot at showing overwhelmingly positive on Steam; if you like Caves of Qud each positive review helps a lot. :)

My fault for not writing a review. I couldn't come up with something like with Sproggiwood so I've been procrastinating.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think I've created a self-sustaining oil fire on the edge of a pool of oil slopping out from a weird mushroom. Hope you guys didn't model global warming.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I found a carbide dagger in one of the crates in Joppa with a True Kin eunuch build I've been trying out.

But then I got lost on the way to Red Rock and was slaughtered by a bunch of glowing apes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
After playing around with this back in the ASCII days, I've finally gotten around to picking up the full version. Decided to play as Master Yupa because if you're gonna play a post apocalyptic swordsman, there's really no better model.

Still haven't found an appropriate hat though. Please add one kthnx.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There's definitely "wide-brimmed hat" out there.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yiss.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

After playing around with this back in the ASCII days, I've finally gotten around to picking up the full version. Decided to play as Master Yupa because if you're gonna play a post apocalyptic swordsman, there's really no better model.

(snipped images)

Still haven't found an appropriate hat though. Please add one kthnx.

What show/movie is that?

Also I ran into an interesting bugged item after falling down a hole in the underground:

and its description

The icon for it is just a '?'

Now the real question is, do I pick it up and try to wield it?

edit: Nevermind

Double edit: I tried throwing it at a slumberling afterwards but it missed I guess. It belongs to the slumberling now.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 3, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Pumpkinreaper posted:

What show/movie is that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausica%C3%A4_of_the_Valley_of_the_Wind_(film)

I would be very surprised if it wasn't one of the influences of CoQ.

P.S. I think the end of the movie version is kind of weak and if you have the time, the manga is better.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 3, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Catsplosion posted:

After messing around with the wish command on a test character and realising you can spawn campfires, bedrolls and torch sconces I've pimped out a house in Joppa to call my own.

Have you considered adding the skill/ability to build walls and such? Being able to carve out a house in this game would be awesome.

I missed this idea.

Player Housing / Crafting DLC, Unormal. Because we want to live in Qud.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

I missed this idea.

Player Housing / Crafting DLC, Unormal. Because we want to live in Qud.

It'll certainly not make it into mainline 1.0; it might be something I might toy around on my own, without Freehold Game's blessing, with an off-label mod for, just for fun, though.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Unormal posted:

It'll certainly not make it into mainline 1.0; it might be something I might toy around on my own, without Freehold Game's blessing, with an off-label mod for, just for fun, though.

Hey, is there a roadmap showing off what you guys are working on/want to add to Qud?

Actually, are there anymore lore books coming to the game? I sat down and decided to read frivolous lives + the 3 moghra'yi books and I enjoyed the world building (though I'm still a little unsure of what has exactly been happening and if Qud is the region you're in or the world itself).

Oh, finally, there's a few skills/mutations that say they do 1d4 damage or something akin to that (quills for example), yet end up doing significantly more damage than what's listed. Is there some sort of scaling behind the scenes or am I missing something about the damage calculations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Hey, is there a roadmap showing off what you guys are working on/want to add to Qud?

Actually, are there anymore lore books coming to the game? I sat down and decided to read frivolous lives + the 3 moghra'yi books and I enjoyed the world building (though I'm still a little unsure of what has exactly been happening and if Qud is the region you're in or the world itself).

Oh, finally, there's a few skills/mutations that say they do 1d4 damage or something akin to that (quills for example), yet end up doing significantly more damage than what's listed. Is there some sort of scaling behind the scenes or am I missing something about the damage calculations?

You shoot like 10% of your quills in each burst and each one has a chance to do 1d4. Even at level 1 you have like 200 quills.