Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Old Binsby posted:

Ok so oval racing in a skip is not a part of my current skillset. Microphone wasnt working so couldn't complain about it either, when I steered into a wall fidgeting with my pit settings I realized it was time to call it a night. Hope to see you guys next week, maybe I'm a little more competitive if we turn right every once in a while.

I do wonder though, hotlapping I turned laps of around 18 seconds flat around bristol on a decent lap in default weather. What in the name of christ can you do to knock .3 of a second off that?? I just keep it in 4th, lift a little for each corner and try to keep as much exit speed as possible. Is this not the trick to turning left?

With the proper setup that prevents the skip from bottoming out, you don't need to lift at Bristol at all unless you're in traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I did a slight lift on corner entry basically every time, it helps set the front instead of just scrubbing off speed with the right front tire. It seemed to work fairly well :v:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

gently caress. I forgot about gooncar and went for a burger and had a nap instead.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CaseFace McGee posted:

I did a slight lift on corner entry basically every time, it helps set the front instead of just scrubbing off speed with the right front tire. It seemed to work fairly well :v:

I did the same thing and it worked really well for me (until the final turn).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah the last turn didnt' work out for a lot of folk.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Harveygod posted:

I did the same thing and it worked really well for me (until the final turn).

I also did the same thing and now I can see why we ran as the top 3 for so long :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is anyone opposed to switching the Iowa week for the USA speedway week or something? I'm not in town on October 23rd and I really want to drive Iowa.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
This is purely curiosity at this point, because I'm not sure if I'm around that weekend and haven't even bought the track yet, but has anyone started thinking about Le Mans yet? I'm possibly interested in either the HPD (which everyone will be driving) or the Ford.

e: nm still broken

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 28, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Man, this April Fool joke is elaborate...

iRacing posted:

Development work on dirt is going great! The physics, art, and track dynamics systems are all starting to work together in real-time. Today we took the #25 Sprint car out for a spin at Eldora Speedway. Here you'll see the first glimpse of a prepared track beginning to develop a groove. Not yet visible but almost ready will be the accumulation of loose dirt and a cushion. Again, this is all dynamic... the track will constantly change and react based on the cars, resulting in an unparalleled dirt racing simulation.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I keep it positive by believing that the research they're wasting on dirt is going to give them a better understanding of tires, track, dynamic surfaces, etc.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so many people have been whining about dirt for so long, it'd be funny if the races all die off after 1/2 a season.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I didn't really pay attention to the dirt plans, how are they going to handle incidents? Isn't contact inevitable in those races?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

tater_salad posted:

so many people have been whining about dirt for so long, it'd be funny if the races all die off after 1/2 a season.
I think this is absolutely what's going to happen. We as a species can barely figure out how to drive a street stock around Charlotte. And we think this is a good idea? There seems to be a lot of confusion about the difference between "this is a hilarious curiosity in a practice session" and "I have even the slightest ability to drive with any success near anyone for any length of time without exploding into a ball of rage". Within 2 seasons, the dirt series will be populated by roughly the same size audience as the current Sprint Car or SK Modified series - which'll be interesting too, because those series overlap with dirt as far as interests go, so dirt should effectively kill a few series off.

GhostDog posted:

I didn't really pay attention to the dirt plans, how are they going to handle incidents? Isn't contact inevitable in those races?
Everyone agrees they have to do something, be interesting to see what that is though.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 29, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

tater_salad posted:

so many people have been whining about dirt for so long, it'd be funny if when the races all die off after 1/2 a season.
It's hard to escape the notion that support for dirt is a meme from the iRacing forums that got out of control.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dirt SR is going to have to be REALLY forgiving too dirt cars beat and bang on each other quite a bit, and driving on dirt is a bit less straight line. I mean you're almost at "loss of controll" lines if you are drifting through the corners.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They said they will be reworking how incidents work for dirt and that will be spilling over into the other racing types. Even if official series don't become popular, there will be leagues for dirt.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Everyone agrees they have to do something, be interesting to see what that is though.

Maybe a separate license? Oval, Road, Dirt?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dirt is going to be such a cluster gently caress when it launches. It's going to be so :magical:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure the existing playerbase will try dirt out for a week and then almost universally say 'gently caress, this is HARD, I'm going back to Carb Cup'.

What I don't know is if there's a big market out there of people wanting a dirt racing sim to come out (since the only other option I know of out there is a mod for the original rFactor) who will rush to throw money at iRacing once it is released.

e: and whether iRacing's hopeless marketing attempts will ever manage to find those people.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 29, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There will people who will join up for dirt ovals and will only run dirt ovals. Look at the paved oval people who get pissed off anytime road content is added because they refuse to do anything on the road side.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Norns posted:

Dirt is going to be such a cluster gently caress when it launches. It's going to be so :magical:

I have spoilered the below to protect the sensitive minds out there, read at your own risk:

Fixed Trucks at Eldora

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Helicon One posted:

I have spoilered the below to protect the sensitive minds out there, read at your own risk:

Fixed Trucks at Eldora

This will be a glorious clusterfuck.

Kinda like Indy Fixed at New Hampshire. I don't know why but that car will just randomly step the tail end out there unless you're super careful (i.e. slow).

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

There will people who will join up for dirt ovals and will only run dirt ovals. Look at the paved oval people who get pissed off anytime road content is added because they refuse to do anything on the road side.

I'm getting better about that. I've run several MX-5 cups at limerock this week. (Only because I'm too poor to buy Vegas Motor Speedway)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

IOwnCalculus posted:

Kinda like Indy Fixed at New Hampshire. I don't know why but that car will just randomly step the tail end out there unless you're super careful (i.e. slow).
In which Stripe tells a guy to drive...

You're probably running too low in the corners. Go up by the wall. The line for Indycars is different than for stock cars.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
One wee trick that works for the indycar and might work for all fixed oval series; if you're loose, you can fix it a bit by running a slightly higher line while if you're tight you want to be as low as possible. Doesn't always work but it's a good rule of thumb

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've had the high line bite me a time or two but yeah it's usually the low line that results in loose. Of course, if you can make it stick, it's the only reliable way around another car and can be used to catch someone as well.

It's just a bit of a mindfuck because right up until the rear comes around, it feels like everything is fine, and then suddenly you're staring at traffic hoping nobody plows into you.

I did that twice last night and still finished top 5 on the lead lap :haw:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
A guy tried to squeeze me into a wreck, so I turned him.

"Brake pedal's in the middle, Stripe!"

Oh I know where it is, bruh.

e: Need one of those sunglasses dropping onto my car gifs here or something

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 30, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

A guy tried to squeeze me into a wreck, so I turned him.

"Brake pedal's in the middle, Stripe!"

Oh I know where it is, bruh.

:krad:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

At Texas indy I got a "3 wide really" last week. I didn't have a cool stripe like response, it was something like, yep because you were both slow. Or something lame.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

tater_salad posted:

At Texas indy I got a "3 wide really" last week. I didn't have a cool stripe like response, it was something like, yep because you were both slow. Or something lame.
I'm up til 2, 2:30 every night thinking of snappy responses

"Then lift" is probably what I'm mic-ing up with in that spot tho

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 30, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Gooncar tonight? I'm not buying Bristol but am up for something after if there are other interested folks.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Been away from SA for quite a while and I haven't been playing iRacing a whole lot either. Just the odd race here and there. Is there any particular track that is worth getting? Was thinking of Le Mans or something but I'm not sure.

Also, yes, I'm still terrible

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Torabi posted:

Been away from SA for quite a while and I haven't been playing iRacing a whole lot either. Just the odd race here and there. Is there any particular track that is worth getting? Was thinking of Le Mans or something but I'm not sure.

Le Mans and Imola are both nice recent additions but I don't know if they're 'must have' tracks if you're not running them in an official series.

The Nissan GTP ZX and Audi GTO are the new hotness.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Le Mans and Imola are both nice recent additions but I don't know if they're 'must have' tracks if you're not running them in an official series.

The Nissan GTP ZX and Audi GTO are the new hotness.

Might get those two and the Audi. But I can't drive the Audi in official series yet. I'm only a D in road and C in oval. I'm also super awful at like 700 iRating in both. Maybe should focus on getting out of the awful bottom split first.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How to get out of bottom split... don't die and you'll probably get a top 10 every time.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is it just me or is the vive support buggy as gently caress.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

tater_salad posted:

How to get out of bottom split... don't die and you'll probably get a top 10 every time.

I never really crash into other people. I just go off track a lot. :v: I usually finish all my races regardless of how it goes but my iRating never goes up.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think that basically irating breeds irating and that it can be easy to get stuck. If you finish just as an example like, 6th 7th 7th then wrecked by a dude on the first lap, you probably gained no irating over those four races so it can feel like pushing a boulder uphill.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't been gaining much irating since I only race once or twice a week. I do gain irating since it's just a matter of finishing the race and being consistent. It's important to find a populated series and race during the SOF races so you're around people your own skill level. If you drive a less popular series, you're likely to get into a split with wildly different skill levels. if you've got a low irating, chances are there's no way for you to gain any at all unless the top two people crash out and disconnect.

There was a skip race at Sonoma where my number was second to last. I finished in the bottom half but ended up gaining 1 irating because some high irating people crashed and I ended up finishing ahead of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

For some reason they aren't updating the track rotation list in the Skip Barber forum. So I can't tell which tracks are about to leave rotation. Was thinking of getting three tracks since I haven't bought anything for iRacing in ages. Le Mans, Imola (Though I am a bit uncertain about this one since it doesn't look THAT interesting, but maybe I am missing something), and a third track. Any other recommendations?