Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Hey Dana, I took your waifu out to dance while leveling my Tellah...

Ice blitz elemental chains are hilarious. Tellah's sitting back there watching, throwing singles in the air like "drat, girl put in work" :laffo:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Fenrir posted:

Hey Dana, I took your waifu out to dance while leveling my Tellah...I

Ice blitz elemental chains are hilarious. Tellah's sitting back there watching, throwing singles in the air like "drat, girl put in work" :laffo:

Yeah, it's pretty dang ridiculous seeing 600k numbers popping up, it made me laugh pretty hard. Our two pinks kill them all in ONE ice blitz, let alone the follow-up one that *also* chains. poo poo be dumb, yo. :)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Exdeath is the better 6* mage, right? Maybe I'll just not give a gently caress about his LB and level him up already so I have the dude ready for new content. My tentative mage team once 6* are out will be Kefkax3/Exdeath/Terra or Kefkax2/Exdeath/Terra/Vaan. I have too many Kefkas please send help. Also god I need to get rid of this Krile ASAP she's cramping my style.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Exdeath at 6* natively learns Magic Killer Passives, Dualcast, Meteor, a Light Magic version of Meteor that hits harder, and an Earth version of the current -ga level spells.

So yes.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Trilin posted:

Power creep applies to 3* characters too - but they just obviously won't be on the level of 6* characters.
Characters like Faris, Ovelia and Guy are pretty darn good despite being 3-5* characters, just like how Charlotte was not that bad at all.

^ This, very much. Between new 3* bases, unit upgrades (almost all for 3* bases), the story units, loot from story content, trials, and espers, the game does try to give you just enough to get by even if your pull luck is abysmal.

Consider that, with just the story units, you have a 4-person team with Cheer, Focus, and Power Break. You can kit the story units out fairly well, too. Get your espers to 2*, make your hero rings, clear those trials, make +stat materia (maybe a Cura for Rain).
Right now, you could get Lasswell to 290+ Atk and Rain to 260+ Def and kit both with enough abilities to be functional.

Yeah, the grind for all that is a bit of a pain. But it's just for if you have literally no luck on pulls and have nothing better than the story units to build up. And if you pull better units later, most of the stuff you grinded up boosts them, too.

But yes, it -is- very frustrating to keep pulling trash along the way to getting better units. This is, after all, video game slot machines. It's designed to make you keep pulling. 6*s are extremely pretty.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wonder how many motherfuckers rerolled accounts just to get on that poo poo Waifu game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dias posted:

Also god I need to get rid of this Krile ASAP she's cramping my style.

I think someone said a future update gives Krile a 5* that's actually pretty decent, so you can look forward to that I guess!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

AegisP posted:

Exdeath at 6* natively learns Magic Killer Passives, Dualcast, Meteor, a Light Magic version of Meteor that hits harder, and an Earth version of the current -ga level spells.

So yes.

The light ability is identical to Ultima, not Meteor, it's also a skill so he can use it while silenced, though that probably means he can't dual cast it.

Yea, his 6* form is ridiculous.

CoD 6* is pretty nuts too, and can finally equip materia.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ShinyDais posted:

^ This, very much. Between new 3* bases, unit upgrades (almost all for 3* bases), the story units, loot from story content, trials, and espers, the game does try to give you just enough to get by even if your pull luck is abysmal.

Consider that, with just the story units, you have a 4-person team with Cheer, Focus, and Power Break. You can kit the story units out fairly well, too. Get your espers to 2*, make your hero rings, clear those trials, make +stat materia (maybe a Cura for Rain).
Right now, you could get Lasswell to 290+ Atk and Rain to 260+ Def and kit both with enough abilities to be functional.

Yeah, the grind for all that is a bit of a pain. But it's just for if you have literally no luck on pulls and have nothing better than the story units to build up. And if you pull better units later, most of the stuff you grinded up boosts them, too.

But yes, it -is- very frustrating to keep pulling trash along the way to getting better units. This is, after all, video game slot machines. It's designed to make you keep pulling. 6*s are extremely pretty.

Don't ask how long I used the main characters because I didn't know you could switch them out. I also never knew Fina was playable for the longest time either... :saddowns:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think someone said a future update gives Krile a 5* that's actually pretty decent, so you can look forward to that I guess!

Yeah, I heard something about that. She's just sub-optimal at the moment, especially with a third Kefka and an Exdeath on reserves.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

Krile gets an amazing 5* upgrade. She becomes a solid nuker and amazing healer and can pull both duties at once.

Rydia and Kain get good 5* upgrades very soon, too (3~5 banners/weeks, at a guess). Rydia gets solid caster stats, Meteor, and even +60% Evo Mag for comedy's sake. Kain basically just gets really good Atk, but pre-Barrage TM his Jumps do hit quite hard.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Krile right now is a pretty nice flex damage dealer/healer considering she can Dualcast already. It's just she's very fragile and probably is better replaced by someone else until she hits 5*.

But man, I am definitely looking forward to Krile Dualcasting Curajas or Aerogas when she gets upgraded.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just hope I keep drawing repeat Vivis and Rydias so I can give her -Gas already.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Have you guys ever looked at Shantotto's kit? I took a look out of curiosity and it's loving impressive. If only she was 5/6*.

https://exviuswiki.com/Shantotto#Learned_Abilities

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Shantotto has a really good kit with almost no defense and 4* stats. I can see her becoming a pretty good mage at 5* if she gets W-Magic and some extra nukes. I also have three of the little assholes.

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009

Dias posted:

I just hope I keep drawing repeat Vivis and Rydias so I can give her -Gas already.

Sadly Krile has lvl 5 black magic at 4* and -ga is lvl 6 black magic.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fiss posted:

Sadly Krile has lvl 5 black magic at 4* and -ga is lvl 6 black magic.

Not even as a 5*? I'm assuming she doesn't get elemental coverage either, but if she gets a Aeroga...

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
At 5*, she can equip level 6 magics.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Dias posted:

Not even as a 5*? I'm assuming she doesn't get elemental coverage either, but if she gets a Aeroga...

At 5* she gets level 6 black/green/white magic use, and she also gets Aeroga and Curaja.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, very few characters have native Dualcast for all magic schools. Even Exdeath and Vivi only get Dual Black Magic. Once Krile has non-poo poo skills to use with Dualcast, she becomes a fantastic support unit, probably better than Tellah and Terra.

Trilin posted:

Power creep applies to 3* characters too - but they just obviously won't be on the level of 6* characters.
Characters like Faris, Ovelia and Guy are pretty darn good despite being 3-5* characters, just like how Charlotte was not that bad at all.

This, basically. The thing about 5* units (aka base 3*/4* units) is that they do get powercreeped upwards, but they're always going to lag behind 6*s in the numbers game, so they generally make better utility mages and support characters than damage dealers or tanks. As long as you don't expect them to be making GBS threads out Lightning Ice Blitz damage, they'll do just fine.

Granted, I say that and yet I know absolutely nothing about how good or bad the upcoming FF4 and FF13 5*s are, and the Brave Frontier 5*s are noticably inferior to the 5*s we have already so they aren't the greatest example.

EDIT:

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Have you guys ever looked at Shantotto's kit? I took a look out of curiosity and it's loving impressive. If only she was 5/6*.

https://exviuswiki.com/Shantotto#Learned_Abilities

Counterpoint: She's the one "mage" type character without a single intrinsic MAG boost passive. 93 MAG is dire enough as it is, but combine that with the fact she doesn't boost it as she levels up... at least Vivi and Krile get doublecasting to make up for their lack of passive boosts.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 6, 2016

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Ah yea, good point. I hadn't thought about MAG passives. That elemental coverage though...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I decided gently caress it and threw all my white Mega/Magicites at Ramuh. I know Carbuncle isn't too far off but whatever. Between that and the sweet Magi Robe from C-5, my Kefka is up to 362 MAG!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The really nice thing about Krile, is you can give her Bar- spells and have her put up two different elemental resistances if you need them for coverage, in one turn.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016
So, here's the FFBE Reddit's JP unit list. It's probably been linked in this thread before, and yeah it's probably a little bit of a pain to decipher. But this has every unit in the game in JP, listed in the order they first release (so it doesn't help determine when upgrades happen, but the GL wiki can tell you that). You can see a lot of interesting stuff in there. And I totally don't spend way more time than I should reading about units 2+ months away, nope.

KataraniSword posted:

Granted, I say that and yet I know absolutely nothing about how good or bad the upcoming FF4 and FF13 5*s are, and the Brave Frontier 5*s are noticably inferior to the 5*s we have already so they aren't the greatest example.

Unending Unit Discussion posted:

So, FF13 is probably the next banner after the remaining FFT units this Friday. It features I think 5 new units, so it miiight get split in two, but anyway. Sazh and Fang are the 3* bases. Sazh has Full Break and so he's a great draw even though he has no other real standouts. He has Curaga I guess? Gunners get bad stuff in this game. Fang is built a lot like Kain but like all non-Kains her Jump is inferior and she doesn't get anything to really make up for that loss.

Vanille, Hope, and Snow are all 4* bases. Snow is 6* max so he's probably way rarer anyway. Vanille is, surprise, a healer/supporter. She gets both Cheer and Focus, ooooh. Her healing is only Fina-level, though (no Curaja), and it's not like one unit can keep up both of those buffs for very long. Hope is good, though, probably actually worth being a 4* base. He has solid caster stats and gets many different -gas and Raise, so he's fairly comparable to Tellah. But his Def is much better, getting a +20% passive. Snow is our first 6* tank. He is suitably hard to kill and counters everything all the time pretty much.

FF4 banner should have Cecil, Kain, and Rydia all featured and getting upgrades. All of them are 3* bases and get very nice upgrades. The new units are 3*-5* Edge, 4*-5* Rosa, and 5*-6* Dk Cecil. Edge is the best Ninja yet. No, he isn't good. Not even his TM, unlike Miyuki/Hayate! Sigh.
Rosa is another healer, of course, but at least she's really good. Stupid amounts of Spr will do that. Her flavor of support is Mp recovery, which is at least a new thing even if most 6*s get some Mp regen.
Dk Cecil was just discussed like a page ago- loads of Atk, but he's not Lightning/Luneth/Gilgamesh/Orlandu so do you really care?

TL;DR Sazh is a 3* Full Breaker. Cecil/Kain/Rydia get awesome upgrades with the FF4 banner. All the other new people suck or are not 3* bases.

... somebody will tell me if/when I start :spergin: too much, right?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I think you're fine.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
FF4 event pls come soon, I want my 5* Rydia already. Possibly getting Adam Copeland is an added bonus.

I rue the timing of Cactuar Dunes being this weekend

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

ShinyDais posted:

... somebody will tell me if/when I start :spergin: too much, right?

Nah man, this is all good. Makes me feel better about never drawing a 5-star base, you can help me with an idea of what I should burn these tickets on.

Current plan is to hold everything until Orlando, while doing daily pills everyday

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
We'll probably get 6* Cecil in about 2 months, followed by 6* CoD the month after, then 6* Exdeath a month after that.

On one hand, can't wait.
On the other, I need to train their lb's anyways.

Anyone know if the FF Type 0 units are worthwhile (Unit: Ace (6), Jack (5), Seven (5), Trey (5))? They're slated after ff4. If not them, then the FF3 banner right after is what I'd wait for.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I think I'll use the cactaurs to level a decent caster team. I could just take the easy way and level up 3 more Kefka's to go with my current Kefka and ExDeath but that seems so lame, having 4 Kefkas. Maybe I'll just max out Tellah and Golbez and Celes instead so that I have a cooler looking team.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Is there a maximum amount of friend points you can hold?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yes, 10,000 is the limit. If you try to accept more from login bonus/friend gifts, it'll give you a message that they'll be wasted if you accept them (it doesn't give this message for FP gained from taking companions into battle).

I've been at 10k for about a week, pulling a 10 summon on the FP banner every day so my FP aren't wasted. I want to stay topped off until another event where you can pull Cactuars from the FP banner.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mischalaniouse posted:

Is there a maximum amount of friend points you can hold?

I believe 10,000, so enough for 500 pulls.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
You guys are missing a zero or two there, I have 51,095 FP right now. 25 10-pulls so far and counting. By my math, 500 FP multi-pulls should be about 1 Million FP, which is...for REAL insane hoarders.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 6, 2016

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009
100,000 FP is the limit. It used to be a soft cap but now that's the hard cap since like two or three version updates ago.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Getting closer and closer to getting done with this event. just need 5800 Aracite Shards to get my tickets...I think I can swing all of that...maybe? And I get around 40-50 shards per PRO clear...116 more clears at 50 shards each, which will probably be in the 150s if not more...and at 10 Stamina each...1160-1300+ Stamina...when my max is 56...kill me...someone kill me...end my misery now :shepicide:

Kemix fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 6, 2016

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Well, on the other end of the spectrum, think I'm going to take advantage of the great rank exp this event and try to get to rank 75+, 59 at the moment. Got all I need with auracite, so on the last day I'll probably just buy extra 6 star awakening mats

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

m.hache posted:

Maybe this game isn't for you.

This game is great and I enjoy it immensely, because I've been able to make my initial 3* units powerful enough to clear everything.

It's some whiny retards in this thread that I can't stand. Oh no, you only got multiple base 4* units, your RNG luck is terrible, plead complain to us so we can all feel sad for you. Asshats. Same with the FFRK thread, before guaranteed 5* relic pulls, moaning about getting a couple sub-optimal 5* relics when others would go for multiple 11-pulls without a single one.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So uh... is Gaffgarion good enough? Or is he only there for the TMR? Just scraped up 250 Lapis to get a half-off and he was in it as a 4*.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Gaffgarion is like Garland but no doublehand, but has a Better Darkside.
If there ever was an event that you could only bring in one unit for some reason, Gaff is a good candidate. With an MP drain and a self heal (that costs 2k auracite) and life stealing limit break, good sustainability.

widespread posted:

So uh... is Gaffgarion good enough? Or is he only there for the TMR? Just scraped up 250 Lapis to get a half-off and he was in it as a 4*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Is there a way to beat the adv c3 ogre boss without a full breaker? Best I could manage was having my Cecil try to cover my mages, but the ogre does get through and one shots a mage.

• Locked thread