Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So, uh, stupid question.

Was Kron's breakout ever portrayed as an attempt at freedom? The navy seemed to be making a vengeance run against the League from the very first for leaving an entire star system of people to die. I don't know where the "we were fighting for freedom and not total genocide" thing came from in the end, as the entire early war effort is trying to stealth pop out in the League HQ to kill them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I guess it inherently was one since the league had locked them in, fighting to break out was by necessity a fight for freedom from their imprisonment. And I guess that the league HQ would make a great strategic target, no one likes fighting an organized and capable enemy.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Kron was in it for vengeance but who knows what he was saying to people to get them interested in actually joining up and fighting. Considering how loose the entire Navy is that they'd regress to old ways and start firing on each other at first sign of lost leadership (Boreas bad endings), there's a significant amount of malcontents in the organization.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's pretty funny to me that they introduce aliens for like 3 missions and that's about it. Seems like a total waste.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Don't you worry, Aliens are all over the place in Red Sun :smug:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Update 16 - New Kids on the Block

Colony Wars Red Sun Episode 1 - Magenta System
Valdemar, a hapless nobody and former miner is contacted by a man utilizing some kind of alien tech and is told to track down the Red Sun, a starship that would decide the fate of the human race better than the war between the League and the Navy could. He quits his job and joins a mercenary guild, taking on military contracts for money to support himself in the search for truth and the objectives given by his phantom general...

This game does a lot of things I do not like. It changes the scope and scale we've been used too drastically and while it's kind of cute, gameplay-wise, the change from the war story aspect is ultimately what had me say this game was no good back in the day. What I definitely didn't remember was how piss easy this game was. When I say I camp the spawn points in almost every mission from now on, that flares and regular missiles are useless, I meant it. I like the idea of maintaining your ship, buying new ships, buying new weapons, and of course having my combat rating tracked, but you can tell there were some blanket changes made just after the first hub. The big thing is that you don't even have to worry about heat management after getting the first new ship, and that's with three lasers (I'M GONNA KEEP SAYING IT :D)and a lot of missions require you to be way too fast to screw with missiles or locking on when I can just hit X about 20 times really fast and kill an entire field of dudes and their puny "capital" ships.

The loss of proportion and scale is also a huge issue for me. All the fleet ships are tiny and the fighter craft are all over the place, each one like 1/5th or 1/3rd the scale of the fleet craft which should be looming over them. Oh well. At least I don't have to worry about any Navy or League status in this game and can just shoot whoever I want.

At least, for the most part :smuggo:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Stomper is a :3: name for mechs compared to the usual acronym poo poo.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Everything in this game is just so... stubby.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I kind of appreciate the 'Star Wars' feel they have going on with the music rather than the atmospheric stuff in the previous games. Shame it's so easy and lost the sense of scale.

I guess the guy who said that mission was the hardest in the game never bought three lasers.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well that was, uh, different... a considerable departure from the first two games to be sure. Not sure why they stuck with the Colony Wars branding on this when it has virtually no connection to them beyond the opening cutscene (so far I guess).

Guess we'll see how this plays out since I never played this myself. Since there was never any follow up afterwards I imagine it didn't do as well as people hoped.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Fun fact. This game was so easy I never actually saw any of the bad endings (are there bad endings?). This was back before YouTube, and I hated the game so much that I was never going to play it again, so this will be the first time I actually see bad endings.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

As best I can figure the game overs only happen during failures on Engram missions.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Oof, I never picked up Red Sun back in the day either, despite being a fan of the first two. What the hell happened I wonder. You can see the developments between 1 and 2, but it's like a completely different dev worked on this one.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

That is in fact the case. If you take a look at the "making of..." videos on Red Sun, they handed it over to another branch/division whatever, Leeds Studio. It's still Psygnosis but it wasn't entirely the main team behind 1 and 2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That seems like pretty much where I stopped. Honestly it didn't seem that bad back then but that's probably because I was expecting the game to ramp up into something more like Colony Wars or Vengeance but just never continued. It's not even that bad now if I'm being honest and ignoring impressions and hints of the future game already given out - a smaller scale but a more cohesive story and characters with a decent enough mystery for a space shooter, and surely the combat will get more complicated as the game goes on right? :v:

Guess we'll see how it goes.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Sadly, the fact is that Psygnosis was actually not a very good games studio. Colony Wars 1 and 2, Lemmings and G-Police (why has nobody ever LPed THAT?) were pretty good, but man...Blast Radius? Dropship?

I never actually beat this game. I got to a certain mission with a ton of escape pods and just hit a wall.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Polaron posted:

G-Police (why has nobody ever LPed THAT?)

I played that as well during the early PS era - I suspect no one has LPed it here because it is sadistically hard and while it looks great you probably won't be able to see 90% of the game before you just give up.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You have more hard points.

Why have you not installed more lasers?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Three Lasers on firing is the max and Anti-shield/Hull lasers are worthless.

They get even more so when you see what I buy in the next video.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Lunethex posted:

Three Lasers on firing is the max and Anti-shield/Hull lasers are worthless.

They get even more so when you see what I buy in the next video.
THAT IS JUST NOT RIGHT.

If you have room for more lasers on your ship, you should be able to fire them all at once. It's just basic science.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Update 17 - I won already

Colony Wars Red Sun Episode 2 - New India System Part 1
Valdemar takes on a bunch of illegal contracts and fends off a Navy war crime while being spaced in his own dreams! From killing park rangers, cattle rustling, being dumped in sub-space, and murdering innocent police forces, he at least makes a lot of money doing so, especially after participating in gladiatorial combat!

The hunt for Red October Sun over paradise continues, we just have to murder a lot of people first.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 9, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I played that as well during the early PS era - I suspect no one has LPed it here because it is sadistically hard and while it looks great you probably won't be able to see 90% of the game before you just give up.
God I vaguely remember renting that game as a kid...it was cool but yeah I never got anywhere with it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nothing like saving the galaxy through murder and theft.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Were the seeds of this game's weird rear end writing sown in Vengeance when the aliens showed up, wrecked everyone's poo poo and then kinda just got beaten and disappeared?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ugh - every video so far has just made me shake my head (metaphorically speaking, I don't actually move unless absolutely necessary). I don't want to say Red Sun is a 'bad game' in and of itself because it does look good for the time and probably maybe was fun at some point, but why is this tied to Colony Wars? It has virtually nothing in common with 1 or 2 and you could've called it literally anything else and it would still work...

Kibayasu posted:

Nothing like saving the galaxy through murder and theft.
This is what RPGs have taught me over the years. There isn't a problem you can't solve by killing someone and you should grab anything and everything that isn't nailed down to help you. Even daylight burglaries are justified if your quest is important enough.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ultrabindu posted:

Were the seeds of this game's weird rear end writing sown in Vengeance when the aliens showed up, wrecked everyone's poo poo and then kinda just got beaten and disappeared?

Maybe, but because the game was handed off to a completely different team, there's no way to be sure.

Update 18 - Humanity's greatest enemies are Pez Dispensers with awesome shoulder pads

Colony Wars Red Sun Episode 3 - New India System Part 2
Valdemar and Diva finally catch up to the Red Sun, but it has changed drastically since the Empiret news report on it. It's staffed exclusively by an unknown alien force that attack any who come too close to it, and seem possessed of dark plans that cannot be comprehended.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if the decision to change the design of the Red Sun was made before or after someone put a lot of work into those CG cutscenes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I kind of wonder if they were going to do a more traditional Colony Wars game but then decided to go gently caress it and make a knock off Wing Commander Privateer or Freelancer, except the PS1 wasn't capable of that so then they tried to awkwardly stitch the two concepts together.

It's kind of weird that Colony Wars 1 had the most basic gameplay structure but had a fully realized universe and then Vengeance greatly improved the gameplay but kind of felt that they were throwing darts on a wall as far as the setting and narrative go and then Red Sun feels like a completely different game altogether with Colony Wars and the odd reference here and there awkwardly slapped on.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So in this universe space is filled with air or did I miss something with our protagonist sitting on an asteroid with no helmet/headgear whatsoever? :confused:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So in this universe space is filled with air or did I miss something with our protagonist sitting on an asteroid with no helmet/headgear whatsoever? :confused:

There are a number of joke replies one could make here, but to your surprise you will find there are two good answers. One, it could just be any planet with a breathable atmosphere (which, you know, would be as fortunate as not dying if you got near a black hole) and the second answer, which you should keep in mind, will come up in the 4th hub world when I unlock the final ship.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lunethex posted:

There are a number of joke replies one could make here, but to your surprise you will find there are two good answers. One, it could just be any planet with a breathable atmosphere (which, you know, would be as fortunate as not dying if you got near a black hole) and the second answer, which you should keep in mind, will come up in the 4th hub world when I unlock the final ship.

An asteroid in an asteroid field with a breathable atmosphere? What's next, gundarks?!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The whole game is a snuggie-induced nightmare experienced by Mertens as he fitfully sleeps through people being shoved out the airlock directly across the wall from his bunk.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You know I saw that and figured I just missed 2 seconds of cutscene explaining it some sort of dream but I just went back and yeah, they just sort of start there so ???

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
It's Space Magic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Chris Roberts must've directed this game...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well I'm certainly seeing why this game was the last in the franchise

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Chris Roberts must've directed this game...

Chris Roberts did work on these games. Watch the very second episode (CW1) and you'll see his name on the wall of devs in that one cutscene.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I miss HEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLP guy. :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lunethex posted:

Chris Roberts did work on these games. Watch the very second episode (CW1) and you'll see his name on the wall of devs in that one cutscene.

That explains so drat much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Great Joe posted:

I miss HEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLP guy. :(

I have plans for that sound clip.

Update 19 - "I've killed a lot of people"

Colony Wars Red Sun Episode 4 - Interworld System
Valdemar and Diva arrive in the Interworld System, taking refuge at Unisoft Headquarters...alongside the Red Sun itself. Valdemar continues his winning streak in the esteemed Thunderbowl, helps out a xenophobic cult, shoots some pirates, and aids the legendary Dirt Warriors in their struggle against the Park Rangers who are trying to keep them from capturing a Protoshelp Queen! All this and more as the Sha'har confront Bill Kane and continue their journey...

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 18, 2016

• Locked thread