Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hey I'm posting an update on time for once!

Episode 33 - Firing Blind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Fire Deku sticks can't melt ice beams. The moon falling is an inside job.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh wow. It never occurred to me to just walk up to the Wizrobe and punch him in the face. I always used arrows.

I also never noticed that the real one shows up on the map. :psyduck: I can't believe how much I'm learning about this game, here!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You need to correct youself before you've co-rwrecked yourself.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That was a good wizard battle.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh wow. It never occurred to me to just walk up to the Wizrobe and punch him in the face. I always used arrows.

I also never noticed that the real one shows up on the map. :psyduck: I can't believe how much I'm learning about this game, here!
This is one of the reasons I enjoy watching Fae's blind LPs.

I learn so much!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
How did I miss this thread for so long? :psyduck:

I loved the Ocarina of Time playthrough, and this game might be even more amazing to watch as a blind LP.

Good luck Faerie Fortune! I hope you are thoroughly enjoying the game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can honestly say it's never even occurred to me to just hit that dude with a sword, I've always just stood in the middle of the room and shoved arrows down his face.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lens of "I dunno, probably true"

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

ikanreed posted:

That faerie was a Lie. That's why it didn't appear.

Also the Ice. It too was falsehood.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Snowhead is probably my favorite dungeon. Being a Goron is fun, for starters. The gimmick is interesting without being tedious and there's no particularly overwhelming fights or annoying sections. My only issue with it is I can never remember how to get to one of the Stray Fairies.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

ikanreed posted:

I'm super sick right now and this post was so funny to me that I nearly died laughing, RIP me.

Anyway, here's an update!

Episode 34 - Lunch Break

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Shei-kun posted:

This is one of the reasons I enjoy watching Fae's blind LPs.

I learn so much!

See also everyone's reaction to how useful deku nuts actually were in OoT.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'm super sick right now and this post was so funny to me that I nearly died laughing, RIP me.

Anyway, here's an update!

Episode 34 - Lunch Break

As someone who is also sick and staying home today, this was the best thing.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Is the video stuttery for for anyone else or did last night's Issac stream curse my computer?

(by the way if you haven't, watch the issac stream. It's 2 hours long but there's some glorious moments)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I can probably explain why the lens doesn't work(since fae asked in the video), but it gets pretty technical.

So there's this concept called a stencil buffer where you prerender your objects onto a hidden buffer, that basically acts like, well, a stencil, you cut out a chunk of the screen and either ONLY render there or DON'T render there, or make the rules for rendering those sections different(such as the red border effect on the lens of truth).

And there's another very similar concept called the Z buffer, which is a lot like the stencil buffer, but it keeps a distance of the last object rendered to each pixel. Then, when a new object is rendered, it throws out pixels that are further away than the existing one. So when you draw the wall first, and the guy hiding behind the wall second, it still just shows the wall.

So with a modern computer graphics card, that's just like instructions you pass when you render an object. "Draw this apple in the upper left corner of the screen, except where the stencil buffer is written" Every computer follows the instructions as given.

With build-to-purpose 3d consoles like the dreamcast or n64, it didn't work that way, you loaded up a bunch of objects into memory, and set flags on them, and the graphics hardware would just follow a bunch of predefined rules about how to render them based on some flags buried with the objects. No explicit instructions are given, just a rule somewhere that says if FLAG_A on OBJECT-B- then use stencil buffer rule C. Worse still, some of the special graphics hardware could literally be part of the game cartridge instead of the console.

Back to the main explanation, it's probably the case that the intended behavior for the set of flags on the "untrue" terrain is "If LENS_OF_TRUTH STENCIL BUFFER: don't render, don't update zbuffer, else do both"

The emulator is doing the first part, not rendering the fake image, but it's still overwriting the zbuffer, making the effective distance of the real pixels the same as the distance of the fake image, and that's closer than the fairy, which then won't show up because it's "behind" the real pixels with the fake pixels' distance values. And being a sprite, it's presumably rendered after level geometry.

Okay, that's your needlessly complex explanation of rasterization for today.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

That was interesting and more-or-less made sense.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I went into the Ice Cavern and as far as I can tell Link's traction and movement speed isn't any worse if he puts on the Hover Boots, however his running animation goes twice as fast so he looks like his traction is worse.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The Hover Boots negate most effects of terrain, including the slipperiness of ice.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 35 - Literally Standing On The Answer

One day, one day I will notice things. Today is not that day. Also we're fighting a boss next time!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think that last Stray Fairy would be a lot more intuitive to find if the game gave any indication that Deku Link's hovering is based off his radius from the flower, not time. His struggling to stay up always made me think it was time, and I legitimately didn't think it was the radius until this LP.

And I'm only saying this because you guys already said it in the video, but I agree that this boss is all sorts of fun. Probably my favorite in the whole series.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Yeah, I only knew the hover was radius-based because of some guide. Then again, I went with a guide for all Stray Fairies because I have no patience for this kind of treasure hunts but I wanted to see the rewards.

I'm also looking forward to the best boss!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Fae's first instinct to jump was actually a good one, she was just in the wrong location to try it. Rather than use the Deku Flower to reach that fairy, if you roll into a jump from the raised pillar in the direction of the arrows in this picture, you'll make it every time: http://i.imgur.com/RoYbPpi.png

Ends up being both much faster and just as reliable as using the Deku Flower.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

And I'm only saying this because you guys already said it in the video, but I agree that this boss is all sorts of fun. Probably my favorite in the whole series.

I'll second this. I'm definitely excited for the next episode.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
"Try interacting with it"

"IMMA PUNCH IT"

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Speaking of the boss, the next episode is probably my favourite episode of this LP so far so get excited for that!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, just gonna chime in and agree that the next boss owns hard.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Pyroi posted:

"IMMA PUNCH IT"

It was the correct reaction, too!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 36 - Can We Do That Again?

Good news: its boss time! I'll let it speak for itself!

Bad news: This is actually the end of my backlog. We haven't had a chance to record lately due to me being a dingus and we can't record this weekend.

Better news: We can't record this weekend because all three of us are doing a 24 hour charity stream for Extra Life! It starts tomorrow at noon EST and it'd be nice if you joined us! You can win some rad crocheted prizes made by yours truly, including a tiny Tatl and Tael!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Seriously, I love that boss fight. Such fun.

And yay! You guys can keep me entertained while I'm on third shift at my hotel. I usually finish my work by 1 and sit there reading until 7 so this will be a nice change of pace.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Better news: We can't record this weekend because all three of us are doing a 24 hour charity stream for Extra Life! It starts tomorrow at noon EST and it'd be nice if you joined us! You can win some rad crocheted prizes made by yours truly, including a tiny Tatl and Tael!

"Tomorrow noon" as in Saturday? Because the schedule says 10/30 and "All Hallows Eve Eve" and Saturday is the 29th.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bruceski posted:

"Tomorrow noon" as in Saturday? Because the schedule says 10/30 and "All Hallows Eve Eve" and Saturday is the 29th.

"Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of All Hallows' Evening), also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows' Eve, or All Saints' Eve, is a celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day."

All Hallows Eve Eve would be Oct 30.

edit: N/M, thought you were saying All Hallows Eve Eve would be Saturday 29

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 29, 2016

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Pyroi posted:

"IMMA PUNCH IT"

When I was about 11, I watched my buddy play through this temple at a sleepover, and we got completely stuck on this puzzle. We had no idea what to do at all, and were sitting there watching the clock slowly tick towards a reset, which would have been very frustrating. We kept hitting the button to bring the pillar up, then hitting the button to bring it down. Eventually I made a joke that I hated the pillar and he should punch it, dammit!

"....punch it again!"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bruceski posted:

Saturday, yes. It's technically correct for the timezones where 12:00 EDT is actually past midnight!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Okay, I think I'm on the same page now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love that the Deku Merchant keeps getting you. You are Anger in this clip (inside out spoilers):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRoP4AN-cN4

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Bruceski posted:

The date is for Australia time since the stream starts at 2am on the 30th. For those of us in non-Australia timezones, it starts on the 29th (that's today!) about 6 hours from now!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm not sure what my favorite part of that episode was.

GOHT BATTLE or the puppy endlessly running into a wall and barking.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Congratulations, you have defeated the Oxis of Evil. Now Goat there and sound the horn of the forces of good.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh I get it. His name's Goht and he's a goat and his name is pronounced "goat". Oh Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fedule posted:

Oh I get it. His name's Goht and he's a goat and his name is pronounced "goat". Oh Nintendo.

Goht 'em.