Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Mr. McGibblets posted:

I'm saying bench him for a few innings, not the end of the world guys.

What exactly do you think this would accomplish, other than burning a bench bat for no good reason?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't know about benching him but gently caress man. I think Tim Tebow might have been able to do better than 1 for 23 so far. I'd much rather Arrieta were hitting.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Baseball is a hard game. Sometimes you go through rough patches. Benching Rizzo for any amount of time would be beyond idiotic.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously, benching Rizzo would be dumb. You just can't do that in the playoffs. Rizzo had a terrible start to the year and he still ended up hitting over .290 so I'm pretty sure he'll be alright.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yeah he'll break out of it and go on a tear. Just got to hope it's within the next game or two.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Yeah he'll break out of it and go on a tear. Just got to hope it's within the next game or two.

And that's kind of the scary thing. The Cubs are winning without Rizzo's bat. So just imagine what they could do with him actually hitting the ball.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nail Rat posted:

I don't know about benching him but gently caress man. I think Tim Tebow might have been able to do better than 1 for 23 so far. I'd much rather Arrieta were hitting.

Tebow is 0-whatever in the AzFL so uh...

EDIT: I am seriously considering paying for an ESPN Insider account just to read Kieth Law's excoriation of Tebow.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 17, 2016

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Clearly Rizzo's problem is that he isn't trying to hit the ball. Since it's the playoffs he should be trying to hit the ball instead. Putting him in timeout will make him realize that trying to hit the ball is better than not trying to hit the ball.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
If Rizzo is hurt or something sitting him might be smart but if he's just snakebit or yipping let him work through it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Is he trying different walkup songs as if that will make a difference? I know he usually alternated his normal two, but I swear I heard four different walkup songs last night.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nail Rat posted:

Is he trying different walkup songs as if that will make a difference? I know he usually alternated his normal two, but I swear I heard four different walkup songs last night.

He's always had a ton of walkup songs and they alternate through them in every AB. Intoxicated is always his first AB, then usually Bad Blood second, Drunk on Your Love third and Good Vibrations (Marky Mark) fourth.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Rizzo had a 3-41 slump in May this season, maybe he is trying to replicate that.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Has as good of a chance at doing something as benching him for a few innings does.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Tebow is 0-whatever in the AzFL so uh...

EDIT: I am seriously considering paying for an ESPN Insider account just to read Kieth Law's excoriation of Tebow.

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Tim%2BTebow%2Bgets%2Btorn%2Bto%2Bshreds%2Bin%2Bbrutally%2Bhonest%2Bscouting%2Breport&id=591736

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
They should send him down to AFL for a day.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Rizzo can get zero hits on the bench just as well as he can in the lineup.

I say give him one more game. I'm not expecting 3 hits or anything, but at least some good AB's and a few hard-hit balls or start someone else at 1B for Game 4. He's killing us.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Send Rizzo back to Japan.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Pulling Rizzo means more Soler which isn't ideal in any way

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

You guys are the biggest chicken little babies I've ever seen in my entire life, but I want nothing more than for your stupid fatalistic bullshit to become reality and validate you

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
complaining about cubsposting is now more annoying than cubsposting. congratulations, please see thread title

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Rizzo needs to go hoggin

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

wyoak posted:

Pulling Rizzo means more Soler which isn't ideal in any way

Not really. Can Zobrist play 1st? Put Contreras in left, then. Or put Zo at 2nd and Baez at 1st? What's our next best option defensively at 1B?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Poque posted:

complaining about cubsposting is now more annoying than cubsposting. congratulations, please see thread title
Not by a longshot.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Not really. Can Zobrist play 1st? Put Contreras in left, then. Or put Zo at 2nd and Baez at 1st? What's our next best option defensively at 1B?

Yeah you're right, could do Contreras in left with Bryant at 1B, Zobrist at 2nd, and Baez at 3rd. Works against lefties but you're giving up quite a bit of defense imo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You people are insane.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/Indians/status/788054472161452032

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think everyone needs to take the travel day to just relax. The Cubs will probably win every game Kershaw doesn't pitch

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Not by a longshot.

It's mostly alfbrot being a baby, there are some pretty awful cubsposters though so you're technically right

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Poque posted:

Nope.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

You people are insane.

I'm not advocating for pulling Rizzo - i think the team is significantly worse without him on both sides

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Indians twitter is on point

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

wyoak posted:

Indians twitter is on point

Yeah, those are top notch responses. Jose Bautista is a bit of a baby and I hate when he gets all whiny and sanctimonious.

There's been a couple bad strike 3 calls, but not "this is rigged" bad. They are not the reason the Jays are down 2-0.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

TMMadman posted:

And that's kind of the scary thing. The Cubs are winning without Rizzo's bat. So just imagine what they could do with him actually hitting the ball.

I've forgotten what Rizzo hitting the ball is like.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Rizzo can get zero hits on the bench just as well as he can in the lineup.

I say give him one more game. I'm not expecting 3 hits or anything, but at least some good AB's and a few hard-hit balls or start someone else at 1B for Game 4. He's killing us.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Statchat question: Does pitchFX include time between pitches/pickoff attempts? I assume that with all statcast stuff, the data is timestamped? Has anyone done any research regarding time between pitches as it relates to ERA or BABIP? Announcers always go on and on about pitchers that work quickly or work slowly and how fast working pitchers keeps the defense on its toes. Does this show up at all or is it just repeated bullshit? I assume that whatever pace a pitcher pitches at is the optimum for them in terms of being comfortable and primed to pitch, but is that true for the defense as well?

Maybe someone can do this work in between Pedro Baez pitches pickoff attempts?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

yep I was wrong

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The real question is why don't we have a gif of Javy winking at the camera yet?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gobias Ind. posted:

Yeah, those are top notch responses. Jose Bautista is a bit of a baby and I hate when he gets all whiny and sanctimonious.

There's been a couple bad strike 3 calls, but not "this is rigged" bad. They are not the reason the Jays are down 2-0.

Apparently Bautista did say later in the same interview that the umps were just making lovely pitch calls overall, not just against them.

But when you're the guy always standing at the rail yelling about the calls it's gets tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
All the same we take our chances
Laughed at by time
Tricked by circumstances

• Locked thread