Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dublish posted:

Thank you, but I think you'd better keep it unless you want me to call in some artillery strikes. I'm certainly not going to put a FO team on the front line.

Would you mind attaching it to the battalion level then, Davin? We want to use it to get more eyes on pathless plain.

(but I can't promise that the ural won't get stuck in the swamp)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

abelian posted:

Would you mind attaching it to the battalion level then, Davin? We want to use it to get more eyes on pathless plain.

(but I can't promise that the ural won't get stuck in the swamp)

Done.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Hey Davin, how's this for an idea - why don't we call in a short, intense 152 bombardment on where their tanks have been spotted? We have an FO already in position, and if they stick around doing the Pop Smoke and Retreat dance, that could really Ruin Their Day.

3 Tubes, Medium/Heavy type deal? Put half our artillery on this, leave the other half of the 152's on standby in case something crazy comes up on another front.

That would be 15 rounds per tube, * 3 tubes, about two minutes of firing. Approximately. Since turns are two minutes that's the max we can reasonably expect to work.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 19, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Ok, thanks.

glynnenstein posted:

That's from the game forums. It's an easy call with some stuff, but maybe the T-90A is a borderline call. The game does say there's "commander's video" on the A variant so I always figure he has access to upgraded spotting buttoned.

I did some testing. Two vehicles, T-90A vs M1-A2 SEP. 620 meters apart, in what I would term "semi-keyhole positions" (some scattered buildings and trees obscuring some of the line of sight, starting straight at each other, with cover acs so that they would not engage each other. Both had "regular" veterancy levels.

There is a ton of variability in the spotting times. In 22 trials with the vehicles buttoned, the T-90 took as long as 68(!) seconds to get a suspected contact, and as short as 2 seconds. The Abrams had a max time of 37 seconds (then another 7 after that to get a solid spot). Interestingly, once getting a fuzzy contact, it seems like the game rolls a die every 7 seconds to see if the suspected contact upgrades to a full blown contact.

Because the variance is so high, I don't have a lot of confidence in an experiment with only 22 trials, but it seems that being unbuttoned helps the T-90 at that range by a noticeable margin. The results are less clear for the Abrams, but it seems to provide a slight benefit there as well. Full results.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

abelian posted:

Are you sure about this? It flies in the face of reality. I'd expect a buttoned tank to have good to excellent spotting in the direction that it was facing, but very poor situational awareness. And in the T-90A, the gunner has a thermal sight, but the commander does not.

Even in something like the SEP, the commander's independent thermal viewer is only a few inches from the top of the cupola, so the TC should be able to both use both his fancy sensors and scan the battlefield with his mark 1 eyeballs at the same time.

I'm curious enough now to try to test it out in the editor.

Let me know what you'll find. Our bunker/turret will need all the spotting it can muster.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

FrozenLiquidity posted:

Let me know what you'll find. Our bunker/turret will need all the spotting it can muster.

See the post right before yours :P.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Battalion HQ level assets

Command vehicle #1
Stay put.

Command vehicle #2
Move as shown:

FAC
Move as shown:

HQ tank
Unbutton. Reverse a little bit more than 1 tank's length as shown, in order to get hull down.

Mortar battery FO Ural
Has now been attached to me. Move as shown:

Battalion FO
Call in any fire mission as directed by PC or by Davin.

abelian fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 19, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
:question: for 3 coy :question:
Who is in charge of the weapons platoon? It would be really nice if you could park the BTRs somewhere other than the main road...

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders for 3 Company 2 Platoon 'Concerned Ukrainian Citizens', Weapons Platoon 'Humanitarian Convoy' and Battalion ATGM platoon 'Lost Muscovite Football Team'

Rifle Group
Move 3rd BTR like so:

All others continue last orders.

ATGM carriers 1 & 2.
No new orders.

Weapons Platoon
Drop off an ATGM team by DSM's position. Continue to the point shown. Quick Pace. The HMG carrier should drop a team near the crossroads (They can move into the nearest house for the moment), and then meet up with the ATGM carrier using any fast route.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

3./1. Motostrelki "Prancing Weasel"
BTR1 with 3/1/1 Inf and 3/1 HQ
BTR2 with 3/1/2 Inf
BTR3 with 3/1/3 Inf

No new orders, follow previous orders:

Company pals any objections or ideas?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

abelian posted:

Ok, thanks.

I did some testing. Two vehicles, T-90A vs M1-A2 SEP. 620 meters apart, in what I would term "semi-keyhole positions" (some scattered buildings and trees obscuring some of the line of sight, starting straight at each other, with cover acs so that they would not engage each other. Both had "regular" veterancy levels.

There is a ton of variability in the spotting times. In 22 trials with the vehicles buttoned, the T-90 took as long as 68(!) seconds to get a suspected contact, and as short as 2 seconds. The Abrams had a max time of 37 seconds (then another 7 after that to get a solid spot). Interestingly, once getting a fuzzy contact, it seems like the game rolls a die every 7 seconds to see if the suspected contact upgrades to a full blown contact.

Because the variance is so high, I don't have a lot of confidence in an experiment with only 22 trials, but it seems that being unbuttoned helps the T-90 at that range by a noticeable margin. The results are less clear for the Abrams, but it seems to provide a slight benefit there as well. Full results.

The variability in spotting in the game is pretty wacky. Looking at the battlefront forums for other tests gives gives info all over the place. Here's an example with some testing in the tenth post: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/122267-possible-reason-to-bm-oplots-spotting-issues/

Someone posted an allegedly internal/beta test lists that might be useful. Vehicles that should always spot better when buttoned: M1A2 Abrams, T-90AM, BM Oplot, M2A3 Bradley, M3A3 Bradley, M7A3 B-FIST, Khrizantema, Tunguska.

Vehicles that can't use advanced sights unless unbuttoned: M1151 Recon Humvee, M1167 ATGM Humvee, M1127 Stryker RV, M1131 Stryker FSV, M1200 Armored Knight.

The post citing a dev's advice to "keep tanks buttoned and jeeps unbuttoned" seems way to strong a statement with a short list of vehicles where that's good advice.

Relevant to us, what I've seen suggested is that the T-90A commander lacks a panoramic sight and therefore it best to unbutton our tanks.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

glynnenstein posted:

The variability in spotting in the game is pretty wacky. Looking at the battlefront forums for other tests gives gives info all over the place. Here's an example with some testing in the tenth post: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/122267-possible-reason-to-bm-oplots-spotting-issues/

Someone posted an allegedly internal/beta test lists that might be useful. Vehicles that should always spot better when buttoned: M1A2 Abrams, T-90AM, BM Oplot, M2A3 Bradley, M3A3 Bradley, M7A3 B-FIST, Khrizantema, Tunguska.

Vehicles that can't use advanced sights unless unbuttoned: M1151 Recon Humvee, M1167 ATGM Humvee, M1127 Stryker RV, M1131 Stryker FSV, M1200 Armored Knight.

The post citing a dev's advice to "keep tanks buttoned and jeeps unbuttoned" seems way to strong a statement with a short list of vehicles where that's good advice.

Relevant to us, what I've seen suggested is that the T-90A commander lacks a panoramic sight and therefore it best to unbutton our tanks.

this loving game

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Hey, fun fact I just learned:

Battlefront posted:

As far as I know... ground conditions + vehicle ground pressure + vehicle bonus/penalty + crew quality = chance of bogging. I also thought that speed had something to do with it, but it turns out that is not the case. Seems to be one of those things that was planned/discussed, made it into the manual, and has remained there even though it never was coded.

This is from 2014, and was in reference to Normandy, but apparently remains current in Black Sea. Insane.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

Hubis posted:

this loving game

Right then, unbuttoned it is!

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

:siren: 3/5 ORDERS :siren:

HQ Tank
No change.

Tank 1 (on hill near tower)
No change.

Tank 2 (wtfstuck!)
Turn out and get that turret pointed back towards the last seen enemy contacts.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

glynnenstein posted:

This is from 2014, and was in reference to Normandy, but apparently remains current in Black Sea. Insane.

"made it into the manual, and has remained there even though it never was coded."

MANUALS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY :smithicide:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

glynnenstein posted:

:psyduck:

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hubis posted:

"made it into the manual, and has remained there even though it never was coded."

MANUALS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY :smithicide:

groggames.txt

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

glynnenstein posted:

:wtc: That's Elder Scrolls Daggerfall level of shoddy coding! Come on!

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

professor_curly posted:

Hey Davin, how's this for an idea - why don't we call in a short, intense 152 bombardment on where their tanks have been spotted? We have an FO already in position, and if they stick around doing the Pop Smoke and Retreat dance, that could really Ruin Their Day.

3 Tubes, Medium/Heavy type deal? Put half our artillery on this, leave the other half of the 152's on standby in case something crazy comes up on another front.

That would be 15 rounds per tube, * 3 tubes, about two minutes of firing. Approximately. Since turns are two minutes that's the max we can reasonably expect to work.

Davin, this is the approximate mission we were thinking of calling in:

Any thoughts?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

abelian posted:

Any thoughts?

One battery, Heavy/Short, in that area? Looks good. Probably should have called it in a few turns ago, but oh well. I'll edit my orders post.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

One battery, Heavy/Short, in that area? Looks good. Probably should have called it in a few turns ago, but oh well. I'll edit my orders post.

We want to do heavy intensity and at least medium duration. That should use around 30-36 rounds total. I think fewer rounds than that is just not enough to cover a wide enough area.

I biased the mission towards the west of where we think they are.. in the hopes of driving them to the east where our tanks and ATGMs have good lines of sight.

Unfortunately the FO is /still/ getting into position. My fault for getting him bogged. So we didn't really have anyone in position to call it in until now. And we expect our rangefinders to keep them bottled up for a little while.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

abelian posted:

We want to do heavy intensity and at least medium duration. That should use around 30-36 rounds total. I think fewer rounds than that is just not enough to cover a wide enough area.

I biased the mission towards the west of where we think they are.. in the hopes of driving them to the east where our tanks and ATGMs have good lines of sight.

Unfortunately the FO is /still/ getting into position. My fault for getting him bogged. So we didn't really have anyone in position to call it in until now. And we expect our rangefinders to keep them bottled up for a little while.

Yeah, I wasn't blaming you for anything. If anything I blame myself for not predicting this line of events and ordering a pre-planned bombardment with 10 minutes delay. And I based the duration on how long you said you wanted the barrage to last (2 minutes), but MEDIUM sounds right for the number of shells.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
With "heavy" intensity, it'll start by opening the floodgates for a minute or so, but then slow to a trickle. Here's a test video that shows what it's like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPxQEB2785A

There seems to be a lot of variability in how many rounds it fires. I screwed up the recording on an earlier video, and the same mission used 36 shells and lasted about a minute longer than the one in the video.

Regardless of what we could have done otherwise, this will add to a growing list of problems for them, and should prevent them from getting too comfortable settling in over there.

We should expect that they've already called in artillery on our forward positions east of Viridian City. We should certainly be on the lookout for spotting rounds that aren't our own.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

2nd Company / 3rd Platoon

Cancel all previous orders.
BTR 3 is to move onto the road before moving QUICK to pick up 3/2.
BTR 2 is to wait for 3/1 to mount up.
BTR 1 is to finish moving up to pick up 3/3.
3/1 should mount BTR 2.
3/2 should MOVE to the forest edge to meet up with BTR 3 and mount up.
3/3 and 3/hq should mount BTR 1 when it arrives.

As soon as a BTR is mounted it will move QUICK and dismount infantry at arrival. Infantry will move at QUICK or MOVE to new positions.

NastyToes fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 19, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

abelian posted:

With "heavy" intensity, it'll start by opening the floodgates for a minute or so, but then slow to a trickle. Here's a test video that shows what it's like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPxQEB2785A

There seems to be a lot of variability in how many rounds it fires. I screwed up the recording on an earlier video, and the same mission used 36 shells and lasted about a minute longer than the one in the video.

Regardless of what we could have done otherwise, this will add to a growing list of problems for them, and should prevent them from getting too comfortable settling in over there.

We should expect that they've already called in artillery on our forward positions east of Viridian City. We should certainly be on the lookout for spotting rounds that aren't our own.

What's the call-in time on that? Do we think it will be particularly useful to be bombarding an open field 3-5 minutes from now? Serious question -- I kind of assume they will have moved mostly into covered routes by then, but I may be vastly over-estimating their mobility given our own experiences.

e:

abelian posted:

Any thoughts?

It seems like it would be more beneficial to call in the strike a little closer along that same line. It's not likely to do much to any tanks on station there, but calling it in closer to the crossroads/woods where they seem to be headed would hurt/delay them trying to advance.

NastyToes posted:

2nd Company / 3rd Platoon

Cancel all previous orders.
BTR 3 is to move onto the road before moving QUICK to pick up 3/2.
BTR 2 is to wait for 3/1 to mount up.
BTR 1 is to finish moving up to pick up 3/3.
3/1 should mount BTR 2.
3/2 should MOVE to the forest edge to meet up with BTR 3 and mount up.
3/3 and 3/hq should mount BTR 1 when it arrives.

As soon as a BTR is mounted it will move QUICK and dismount infantry at arrival. Infantry will move at QUICK or MOVE to new positions.

Do you want to QUICK move at the end there? I know we're in a hurry to get your guys deployed, but
A) they're already fatigued, and
B) there's confirmed hostile contact in that region and that area in particular

I feel like erring on the side of greater situational awareness and preserving your troops energy so they can actually be usefulwhen real fighting actually happens is probably much more important than getting there in 2 minutes versus 4.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 19, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
But I didn't tell my dudes to stay put!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

A more decisive turn than I expected, and a fast turnaround on that video.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I guess call the Germans and tell them gg.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016
Holy crap.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmWwkEa082g

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kmyel0esqk4od4/Goon%20Game%20Turn%2013%20RUS%20Replay.bts?dl=0
Password: Poutine

Orders will be final on Friday at 18:00 EST, two minute turn!

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 20, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sweet loving jesus.

:ohdear:

Thank god for the recon squad.

Can we hold this position or is it time for some reversing-leaping-overwatch back towards Victory Road? Or are these tanks committed?

:negative:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Situation just went fucky

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Ya I'm going to listen to my instincts here and say you should probably get your armor out of the town and onto the Highway while you have the chance Phi.

Is calling in an emergency bombardment faster? How quickly can we drop artillery on that southern concentration?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yooper posted:

Sweet loving jesus.

:ohdear:

Thank god for the recon squad.

Can we hold this position or is it time for some reversing-leaping-overwatch back towards Victory Road? Or are these tanks committed?

:negative:

It's going to take a ton of luck for those tanks to survive. If we smoked and reversed away right now they might make it, but still a pretty good chance they end up maneuvering into dangerous positions. The javalin has a 75m minimum range and will kill anything. The LAW the US squads have might also pen from the side.

professor_curly posted:

Ya I'm going to listen to my instincts here and say you should probably get your armor out of the town and onto the Highway while you have the chance Phi.

Is calling in an emergency bombardment faster? How quickly can we drop artillery on that southern concentration?

Emergency bombardment is faster in that there are no spotting rounds, they just start shooting. This, of course, means it's super inaccurate most of the time. If it were my call, I'd ask for mortars on the vicinity of the atgm normally, not emergency.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 20, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Do BTR's have smoke launchers?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

professor_curly posted:

Do BTR's have smoke launchers?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Alright, so at this point my position is no longer relevant. If they get to where I'm shooting them you're all already dead. So I'm not certain whether to head South to reinforce against our danger close or if I should head southeast and reinforce what we saw heading our way a few minutes ago. My gut says the former since they need backup now but then again our eastern flank only has several ATGM's, a few tanks, and a single platoon protecting it.

• Locked thread