Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zand posted:

mainly slowdown

the hitstop feels weird to me also. the new characters are awful designs for the most part... raven elf and jacko are horribly obnoxious in the worst way. I liked frcs and ex moves.

I think it's the best looking fg and one of the best looking games period though.

edit I'm old and it's not reload

Zand how do you feel about a character named Sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

mycot posted:

Zand how do you feel about a character named Sin.

He has to love him, everyone does. My beautiful perfect angel.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
baiken is cool & I don't understand the hate when every guilty gear character is someones personal satan besides maybe anji

with that said if they don't bring back her ability to cancel command run into her guard cancel moves i'll be really sad b/c that was probably the single best change in all of +R and makes her way more interesting

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
baiken is like the char that breaks all the rules of how offense works in gg, a game based entirely around cool and exciting offense

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

yo mamma a Horus posted:

who are some players i should watch if i wanna learn Nine?

I don't know who the best are, but I do know where you can look:

https://keeponblaz.in/?char1=ph
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jourdal2012/search?query=nine

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Toushinsai live with xrd https://www.twitch.tv/toushinsaiofficialtv

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

anime was right posted:

baiken is like the char that breaks all the rules of how offense works in gg, a game based entirely around cool and exciting offense

that's what makes her interesting, only GG would have a character that inherently breaks how the game normally works and yet they're never top tier

if you can't adjust to a matchup that's on u

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

darealkooky posted:

that's what makes her interesting, only GG would have a character that inherently breaks how the game normally works and yet they're never top tier

ah yes the classic design where a character is completely contrary to the "spirit of the game"

this is called "interesting design" ? ? ?

it has nothing to do with matchups or anything like that, the character is just annoying to fight against in a game filled with interesting, fun, and cool characters

at least sin feels like a gg character

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

darealkooky posted:

I don't really know enough or care enough to participate in the main argument here but there are non-GG examples of characters that play a fundamentally different or "breaking the game" style while still being relatively interesting and balanced in the overall scheme of the game. Izanami in BBCF is probably the easiest recent example.

Edit: Okay maybe Izanami's a little degenerate but she's still a pretty good example of defying the game's standards/conventions.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 15, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is tangential to the topic at hand but is it possible to mod a Hori Fightstick Mini to have a stiffer joystick spring or anything like that? I got one for ultra cheap a while back and while I really like it sometimes I feel like I'm jamming on it way too hard.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

It was a little disappointing to me that everything was FT1. Still watched it though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I don't know much about izanami, but how does she break standard? Isn't she just sentinel? You're still rushing down and hitting buttons.

Zand posted:

it has nothing to do with matchups or anything like that, the character is just annoying to fight against in a game filled with interesting, fun, and cool characters

many characters in guilty gear are annoying to fight against, I don't see how having to change your playstyle to deal with baiken is any more annoying than millia or zato shenanigans

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 15, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I don't really have much problem with Baiken other than her stab GC having less startup than there is hitstop, and the stupid rear end flip-over move. Other than that I don't think she's less fun to fight against that a bunch of other characters like say uh, Bridget or Zato or Millia.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Just spit balling here, but is she considered annoying because her alpha counters mean you can't just wail on her with pressure when she is blocking? I never played anything pre-xrd so I don't know.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The reason people hate Baiken is because even if you're a million times better than the other guy you still have to play Baiken's game when you fight her duh

Also lmao

https://twitter.com/KantaKun/status/787350850868051968

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I don't really know enough or care enough to participate in the main argument here but there are non-GG examples of characters that play a fundamentally different or "breaking the game" style while still being relatively interesting and balanced in the overall scheme of the game. Izanami in BBCF is probably the easiest recent example.

Edit: Okay maybe Izanami's a little degenerate but she's still a pretty good example of defying the game's standards/conventions.

Viper sf4

morridoom umvc3 (the interesting part is like 1 player played it well enough to win consistently

even though it wasn't initially balanced correctly, phoenix from mvc3 was different for sure

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Seriously guys can I mod my Hori mini? Or what's a good fight stick for under $200? Playing with a joystick has lit the horrid fires of Anime Fighting in the pits of my dark soul and I want to make sure I've got the best tool for the job. I can play with a DS4 just fine but playing with a stick makes everything feel so drat satisfying when your combo goes off perfectly.

Also I swear the music for Revelator's tutorial stage is like straight up cribbed from a Mega Man Legends song except updated with a shitload of sweet guitars and stuff. It's awesome and I'm sure it's not intentional (despite the tutorial taking place on a stage covered with endless water....hmm....) but it's driving me bugfucking nuts that I can't place where the track is from and I don't feel like playing through a 19 year old PSX game again on a whim.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Seriously guys can I mod my Hori mini? Or what's a good fight stick for under $200? Playing with a joystick has lit the horrid fires of Anime Fighting in the pits of my dark soul and I want to make sure I've got the best tool for the job. I can play with a DS4 just fine but playing with a stick makes everything feel so drat satisfying when your combo goes off perfectly.
I've never seen the inside of the Mini so I'm not exactly sure what the joystick is like. It's probably possible to change the spring without having to do anything complicated. If the Mini is like the older budget Hori sticks, which I've owned and used, then you probably just need screwdrivers to open up the case and take apart the actual joystick. Then you would add your new spring and put everything back together. If you want to do any other type of mod like swapping the buttons then be prepared to do a lot of work.

That's the problem with these extra small arcade sticks. The quality isn't very good and they're very difficult to mod. It's better to just buy a good stick from the start rather than spending money twice on a bad stick first and a better stick later. Check the OP of this thread for some recommended current gen sticks: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772278

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

SectumSempra posted:

morridoom umvc3 (the interesting part is like 1 player played it well enough to win consistently

even though it wasn't initially balanced correctly, phoenix from mvc3 was different for sure

neither of these change the actual gameplay paradigm the way baiken does, they're just much better than anything else at their niche (marvel style zoning & ambiguous left/right teleport mixups) that people go wow golly this character is taking over the meta

morridoom just feels weird because marvel 3 otherwise made zoning kind of bad vs marvel 2, but you can still run something like taskmaster/sentinel/doom if you aren't playing at a top level and make people mad the same as morridoom

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 15, 2016

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Seriously guys can I mod my Hori mini? Or what's a good fight stick for under $200?

I'm pretty sure you can swap the stick for a Sanwa JLF, but the buttons aren't mod-able.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 16, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AnonSpore posted:

The reason people hate Baiken is because even if you're a million times better than the other guy you still have to play Baiken's game when you fight her duh

Also lmao

https://twitter.com/KantaKun/status/787350850868051968

This tweet wounded me

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh poo poo, Chaos Code PS4 comes out next month in Japan, with netplay and all! Now I can finally play my guilty pleasure fightgame without driving for hours to events. :toot:

Of course, then they go around an announce four new characters for the arcade release. :smith:

https://twitter.com/A_crimefighter/status/787622710331318273

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
And the video. Bike guy looks awesome

https://twitter.com/Shado_Onikkisu/status/787618736056434688

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh poo poo, Chaos Code PS4 comes out next month in Japan, with netplay and all! Now I can finally play my guilty pleasure fightgame without driving for hours to events. :toot:

Of course, then they go around an announce four new characters for the arcade release. :smith:

https://twitter.com/A_crimefighter/status/787622710331318273

I believe the four new characters are for the sequel coming in 2017, not arcade release of the update coming to PS4.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know if I'd call it a sequel exactly, but point stands that they're still new characters being added to the arcade version of the game and not to the console version, and I totally want to play at least two of them.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Finnicky question: Has anyone here got PC XRD to work for local multiplayer with one Directinput controller and one Xinput controller? I have a directinput fightstick, and then all my other controllers are xbox controllers, but I've tried to set it up a few times to teach people the game. I can only ever get one of the controllers to register at a time, the second player always defaults to the keyboard. I managed to make it work exactly once a year ago using some combination of fiddling with things and Joytokey after an hour of fiddling with it. Since then I've tried again a few times and have never been able to find that magic combination again, I dunno if it broke in a patch or if I'm just an idiot.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I managed to get a PS3 controller and 360 controller to work at once for PC BBCPEX once. I used SCPServer though, so I don't know what Joytokey is. Try putting the controllers into different USB ports, maybe?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool, I'll give that a shot. Ironically playing +R PC works out of the box with the two different controllers, gently caress if I know why it doesn't for Xrd.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

goon guy made another xrd tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAvwQOBQnE8

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I haven't had as much time as I would like to mess with it, but so far the BBCF demo feels pretty okay. Of the characters I've messed with so far, I've enjoyed Naoto, Celica, and Nine the most.

Naoto feeling fun was a surprise to me because the thing that always drove me crazy about execution in BB was the heavy reliance on microdashes in the middle of long combos and Naoto is pretty much Mr. Microdash. Dash canceling out of 5D or 214A into enhanced specials feels good, though, and the corner carry he's capable of coupled with the extended nonsense he can do in the corner makes him pretty fun to dick around with in training.

Celica's change with the blue recovery life powering up a couple of her specials makes to easier to do her longer loop stuff, including the afterburner loops with the airplane looking move, but it's also just a tiny bit lame that her combo possibilities and damage are both significantly lowered when she's full up on life. I don't know enough about the game at a high level to know whether the tradeoff ends up being worth it for her, but it's alright to me so far.

Nine is cool because her design feels like the most pad-friendly of the cast, or at least of the characters I've tried so far. Even if I end up going back to stick for other characters, I could see sticking with pad for Nine and being just fine. The timing and positioning on a couple of her combo routes frustrates me (mostly doing ...6C 236D 214A into a 4X normal pickup), but that just needs more practice. The entire design around her spell system is one of my favorite character-defining gimmicks/systems in a long time, really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Nine's gimmick is a really clever evolution of Dorm's from Marvel 3.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Susano'o is not a good character, but I look forward to someone proving me wrong.

Meanwhile, Azrael is almost busted, like the poo poo they gave him feels really loving dumb and I love it, but it's so weird they gave him this stuff. Someone on the Dev Team is in love with him and I can't blame them.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I don't know if he'll end up good or not but people are finding all kinds of combos with Susano'o that lead into several seal unlocks, especially with early use of OD to turn a small conversion into 4-5 unlocks. Besides just going to Jourdal's channel and searching for Susano'o, here's a couple other resources to look into:

Meno's vid, which is probably already somewhat outdated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPRaAabuOPg

Kirk Warren's channel, which has a bunch of smaller, specific videos and then this big one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6KW9roRGmE

The thing that bothers me about Susano'o is that he's a step in the wrong direction when it comes to shortening combos time-wise, especially if you unlock all his seals and use that one super of his.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the biggest problem with him is just everything you do is something resembling a ton of micromanaging. Any stray hit you get at neutral, any combo you do, it all depends on where you are on the Magatama and if you're not in a spot where you want to be then you need to optimize a combo that'll let you get there and that's just adding a ton of more poo poo to remember. I don't doubt someone can do it, it just seems like it's a shitton of effort for a character whose job is better done with more ease by someone like Azrael. Mind you, when he unlocks poo poo he's scary as hell and has all the stuff in the world he can do, but idk, the character is still super new so anything can happen I guess.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

While keeping track of where you are on the seal for combo start is important, I don't think it's as big a deal breaker as you make it sound, provided you have OD or RC available, anyway. Since unlocking a seal makes the icon jump back to the beginning (on no seal), you can fix situations where your combo starts on a seal that you don't know how to optimize for unlocks by just going into a D move and ODing or RCing ASAP. At that point, I think players who have put in the time to be good with him will be fine, because they'll unlock whatever one or two moves they're aiming for, and having even a couple of those moves unlocked makes every following unlocking combo way easier to coordinate.

Azrael being a high tier monster is cool, too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was thinking about that to some level too and yeah that's all pretty fair. It just feels like there's something with the character that makes him... I dunno, not as remarkable as he could be, but like I said he's still super new and the game's not even a month old with the other new characters they added for console stuff too so there's still time to develop on a lot of things I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Susanoo'll probably be pretty strong but very rarely played, but I think he's a really cool way of making a boss character playable. Being able to unlock all your broken stuff as the match goes on is super fun.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

I watched the thing. Some thoughts below.

- Using frametraps to punish mashing is extremely valuable, but it's equally important to realize that frametraps have considerable value outside of fishing for CHs. In particular, many players will attempt to take advantage of gaps in your pressure by FD jumping or backdashing, both of which are much safer options than mashing. It's not uncommon to hit the opponent out of jump startup (you can't block during it) or to hit them low out of jump/backdash attempts, and ideally you want to be able to convert from these situations, CH or not.

On this note I don't know how I feel about 2P-5H because while you are +1 on block, with the pushback you can't really stop the opponent from superjumping/backdashing and resetting the situation to neutral. In a similar vein I think the guy undervalues going into 6H because it shares the same pushback problem as 5H, only it's not as much of a problem because you are +15!!! and have the ability to jump cancel, instead of +1. You also aren't constrained to a non-KD combo after midscreen 6H since you can opt for c.S-6K xx ciel > dipper or f.S xx dipper. I'm sure there's better combos but w/e. Not to imply 2P-5H is useless ofc; I understand the scope of the video is specifically to beat mashing and you definitely do get a chunky confirmable reward on CH.

It also seems like the guy's going through a lot of trouble doing late gatlings out of 2P when he can accomplish the same thing with a 5K starter which has the same startup, hits low, retains most of ky's gatling routes, and has more active frames, i.e. is easier to late gatling out of and is more effective as a frame trapping tool.

For the above reasons, I think the second frametrap mentioned in the video (5K-2S) is the most useful and applicable thing you can take away. With enough respect you can even get away with 5K into another 5K. Scary stuff.

Iirc many character's 2Ps can be delay chained into another light attack so you can go a step further and open with 2P-(delay) 5K-(delay) c.S or whatever you want really. Starting your blockstring with multiple lights is very potent and non-committal in general.

- There's a great variety of frametraps out there. With ky if you have a jump cancel option, you can do tiger knee stun edge with 2369S which works because jump startup is cancellable into specials. So you can stun edge YRC with variable timing during your pressure and it's basically a free in for ky. It's especially valuable if you're in range for YRC stun edge to hit before the YRC flash occurs. With sol you might randomly fafnir, which is -2 on block. If you smell a mash attempt on block and have the meter to RC, you can DP right through their mash. Sometimes you might even want to DP when you don't have the tension. Depending on the range the opponent might mash with their fastest long-range normal (probably f.S) and as such you can use attacks with strong upper-body invul (e.g. slayer 6P) to check this. Closely related to the frametrap is the throw bait; if you have an attack that goes airborne (lookin at you johnny 2H) or is explicitly throw-invincible, you have a great source of potential CHs by faking tick throw attempts or getting into situations where you have frame advantage but are in range of the opponent's throw, most commonly after knockdown. I'm just scratching the surface here.

Does that goon post here? He should post here.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

These days it really feels like xrd is the game for babies and blazblue is the game for adults. Gonna learn blazblue in earnest one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun
is xrd now the sfv of anime games ????????????

• Locked thread