Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In Training posted:

Sounds like a classic deconstruction

n-no...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Anime and manga actually do occasionally good-naturedly poke fun at weeaboos (foreigners being obsessed with Japanese culture is a running gag in Zettai Karen Children, for example). Silly and superficial portrayals of Western things generally aren't making fun of weeaboos, though.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

esselfortium posted:

you like pretty things.

how did you know???

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lemon-Lime posted:

VAs getting to shout a lot.

lmao holy poo poo, kinoa is hilarious, she has a really nasty core that loves to instigate conflict, and kogane's switch flipping into vengeance mode is a sight to behold. the mc is boring though

also its nice that the conflict is between two human forces with their own agency, instead of humans vs some bizarre alien force like lots of these el en style shows

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Anime and manga actually do occasionally good-naturedly poke fun at weeaboos (foreigners being obsessed with Japanese culture is a running gag in Zettai Karen Children, for example). Silly and superficial portrayals of Western things generally aren't making fun of weeaboos, though.

The recent episode of Nanbaka actually just did this gag. :v:

Also Nanbaka is good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

lmao holy poo poo, kinoa is hilarious, she has a really nasty core that loves to instigate conflict, and kogane's switch flipping into vengeance mode is a sight to behold.

Yeah, they both own. I really like the characters in BBK.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Crunchy, Daisuki, and Animelab are going to simulcast Dragon Ball Super staring the 22nd.

The simulcast will start from episode 63, with each site also having the full Future Trunks arc on launch and adding 10 older episodes a week starting the 20th.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Crunchy, Daisuki, and Animelab are going to simulcast Dragon Ball Super staring the 22nd.

The simulcast will start from episode 63, with each site also having the full Future Trunks arc on launch and adding 10 older episodes a week starting the 20th.

when's the simuldub

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Toei seems to be handling this by themselves and not through Funimation, plus Funi's schedule is pretty packed this season, so I dunno!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nanbaka is pretty fun

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They finally announced the new Zoids thing!

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

for smartphones... ah

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

For me:

Must Watches of this Season
========================

Bungo Stray Dogs 2 -- I actually thought the first season was interesting and had potential, but this season is incredible. At first, I was slightly disappointed in that we were watching a major flashback, but it's really good.

Izetta -- Because, my daughter just married a German man and is now living in Idstein with him. I mean, who doesn't love accurate historical fiction?

March Comes in like a Lion -- Reminds me of Your Lie in April mixed with Hikari no Go but better than either.

Poco's Udon World -- Reminds me of Barakamon but more realistic. Tanukis do these things, right?

Wagnaria (3 or 4 or whatever it is now) -- At first, I thought they were trying too hard to be crazy and wild. But now, I think it'll be pretty good.

Guilty Pleasures That I Should Not Admit to Watching But I Will Secretly Watch
===============================================================

BBK -- I just find it somewhat interesting and entertaining.

Bloodivores -- Not entirely sure yet, but I think it will be interesting.

Natsume's Book of Friends -- almost a must watch except that this is apparently like the fifth season, and I had no idea this thing ever existed. Interesting. I need to find the other seasons, I think.

Occult: Nine -- Part of the fun is trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

Obviously Missing
===============

Sound! Euphonium -- I know I should, but I"m having difficulty caring about this one. Maybe I'll start watching it in a week or so and enjoy catching up.

No, No, No
=========

Keijo -- I actually read the first couple of chapters of the manga because it seemed interesting. I didn't find it to ultimately be. As far as I can tell, there is one primary reason for possibly watching this show, and that's not why I would watch something.

ClassicaLoid -- Anything with "oid" in it is bound to be bad, in my opinion.

Brave Witches -- I didn't realize this was a Strike Witches thing until I watched the first episode. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Show By Rock -- Because it's Show By Rock.

Question: Nothing else this season has "popped out" as interesting. As a result, I only have like one or two shows that I am watching during the week, and then the weekend comes with a bunch and this season seems overly light for watchable stuff. Am I missing anything that I should be watching?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

brave witches and keijo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

bluray/tv

Davincie fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 20, 2016

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Dan7el posted:

For me:

Must Watches of this Season
========================

Bungo Stray Dogs 2 -- I actually thought the first season was interesting and had potential, but this season is incredible. At first, I was slightly disappointed in that we were watching a major flashback, but it's really good.

Izetta -- Because, my daughter just married a German man and is now living in Idstein with him. I mean, who doesn't love accurate historical fiction?

March Comes in like a Lion -- Reminds me of Your Lie in April mixed with Hikari no Go but better than either.

Poco's Udon World -- Reminds me of Barakamon but more realistic. Tanukis do these things, right?

Wagnaria (3 or 4 or whatever it is now) -- At first, I thought they were trying too hard to be crazy and wild. But now, I think it'll be pretty good.

Guilty Pleasures That I Should Not Admit to Watching But I Will Secretly Watch
===============================================================

BBK -- I just find it somewhat interesting and entertaining.

Bloodivores -- Not entirely sure yet, but I think it will be interesting.

Natsume's Book of Friends -- almost a must watch except that this is apparently like the fifth season, and I had no idea this thing ever existed. Interesting. I need to find the other seasons, I think.

Occult: Nine -- Part of the fun is trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

Obviously Missing
===============

Sound! Euphonium -- I know I should, but I"m having difficulty caring about this one. Maybe I'll start watching it in a week or so and enjoy catching up.

No, No, No
=========

Keijo -- I actually read the first couple of chapters of the manga because it seemed interesting. I didn't find it to ultimately be. As far as I can tell, there is one primary reason for possibly watching this show, and that's not why I would watch something.

ClassicaLoid -- Anything with "oid" in it is bound to be bad, in my opinion.

Brave Witches -- I didn't realize this was a Strike Witches thing until I watched the first episode. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Show By Rock -- Because it's Show By Rock.

Question: Nothing else this season has "popped out" as interesting. As a result, I only have like one or two shows that I am watching during the week, and then the weekend comes with a bunch and this season seems overly light for watchable stuff. Am I missing anything that I should be watching?

The big missing ones I see are Flip Flappers, Yuri on Ice!, Fune wo Amu, and Girlish Number*, all of which are worth at least checking out.

*I figured this one would be bad based on the summary, but it's actually really good so far.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
What on earth could possibly make Natsume of all things a guilty pleasure? It's a soft feelings show about being nice to strangers and making friends.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dismissing classicaloid out of hand based on its title seems dumb. anyway, yuri on ice is great and everyone should at least give it a try.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

dogsicle posted:

dismissing classicaloid out of hand based on its title seems dumb. anyway, yuri on ice is great and everyone should at least give it a try.

B-but its oid. Like vocaloid, but classical. Why should I watch Hatsune Miku sing 'Ave Maria'?? :colbert:

Is that a real thing? Asking for a friend.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hatsune Miku has an opera but it's all original music I believe

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its noise music and its a good show

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

Girlish Number

I'll second these.
Flip Flappers also seemed cool, but I don't have enough of a read on it from the first ep to say much.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Cheating Craft is kinda neat in a variation on a standard shonen way. It's also only 12 minutes per episode so it doesn't overstay itself.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its gay day! yuri on ice and yuriphonium were both great

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

B-but its oid. Like vocaloid, but classical. Why should I watch Hatsune Miku sing 'Ave Maria'?? :colbert:

Is that a real thing? Asking for a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hP3d9gYjVE

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Why is Nanbaka so sparkly? I get that the whole aesthetic is garish as hell, but the sparkles everywhere are just weird.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://a.pomf.cat/gzebas.mp4

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Why is Nanbaka so sparkly? I get that the whole aesthetic is garish as hell, but the sparkles everywhere are just weird.

the manga uses sparkles a lot, so it's just being carried over.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Drifters isn't anywhere on that list???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
can you believe that it is now thursday today and on this thursday stella no mahou episode 3 is

available with english subs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://u.pomf.is/zcwhzc.mp4

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Miss Bernard taught me that japanese book fans complain about bad translations too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://u.pomf.is/nzbumv.mp4

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://u.pomf.is/bkccaj.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
episode 3 of magic of stella is one of the funniest episodes of a show i've seen all year

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I was kind of ready to pass on it after just having done New Game last season, but you're making it sound pretty funny. I might give it a look.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I was kind of ready to pass on it after just having done New Game last season, but you're making it sound pretty funny. I might give it a look.

it's a very different flavor of "girls making video game" show from new game

new game had eccentric, lovable adults with financially stable jobs making a video game you could generally assume to be pretty good

magic of stella is about a small gang of middle schoolers who have no idea what they're doing coming up with terrible ideas and deciding to just have fun and roll with it

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The Colonel posted:

it's a very different flavor of "girls making video game" show from new game

new game had eccentric, lovable adults with financially stable jobs making a video game you could generally assume to be pretty good

magic of stella is about a small gang of middle schoolers who have no idea what they're doing coming up with terrible ideas and deciding to just have fun and roll with it

Wow. Sold! Another anim to add to the pile that is this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
magic of stella is also an extremely deep commentary on player choice in video games

https://u.pomf.is/kqfhpa.mp4
https://u.pomf.is/nzygeo.mp4

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 20, 2016

• Locked thread