Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Is your new Qud dev also gonna post on SA, cus that would be rad imho.

e; Page 2 Snoopa :snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

heard u like girls posted:

Is your new Qud dev also gonna post on SA, cus that would be rad imho.

e; Page 2 Snoopa :snoop:

Not a new person, it's hand of luke! We've always been a multigoon shop, I'm just more visibly goony.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 19, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So...who was the third goon?

I thought it was just you and Hand of Luke all along.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
megane, the tiles king.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

megane, the tiles king.

Yup, composerguy and suncut also worked on Sproggiwood. Maelephant is also a long time contributer and main playtester. We're a pretty goony shop all told.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 19, 2016

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I just got shockingly far in the weekly seed (almost to the end of bethesda susa before needing to leave due to lack of ammo, then i died messing around in the asphalt mines), as it turns out tinkers with really high ego can be really good if you can get past the early meat grinder.

Never did manage to find the glowpad merchant though, that would have been amazing combined with the infinite wine pool i found on the way to mamon.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
My child of the hearth cudgeler just finished A call to arms. I'm pretty pumped to have cleared it for the first time, and with a true kin!

I thought that that quest was the end of the Qud story line for now. Instead, I got a new quest involving a sentient fungus (Pax Klanq). Is it possible to complete this quest as of now?

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 19, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hahaha, I never noticed 'Hooks for feet' before.

:golfclap: Very nice.

Should come with a comb obsession.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 19, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Considering how bad Hooks For Feet is compared to a lot of the other drawbacks (including the ever-ridiculous Amphibious), I really think it should have some sort of unique situational advantage that offsets your permanent decrease in mobility by protecting your mobility under certain circumstances. Like granting massive knockback resistance, or making you almost entirely immune to slipping on ooze and oil. A hook-footed slime spitter who murders people in melee while they slip around in gross mutant phlegm would be a really interesting build.

e: unless that was done already and I never noticed because I completely avoid Hooks For Feet on principle :v: Being unable to outrun anything - or even keep pace with it while you scrape together an escape plan - is pretty close to a death sentence for a lot of characters.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 19, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

S.T.C.A. posted:

Correct. But you cannot take the ick until your tongue falls out completely, is my understanding, and my point is that my regen chars never actually had their tongues fall out, which to my understanding means they can never cure it.
You can take the ick before your tongue falls out (which is a bad idea; explanation later) I've had regen and took the cure successfully about a dozen times. It just takes a lot longer for your tongue to fall out. Kill some glowcrows/dragonflies for meats and have two full canteens of fresh water.

leave the dogs alone, else my mod NPCs will loving murder you

Fun fact: If you take the ick before your tongue falls out completely, it stops decaying which means you will have a tongue that will bleed forever :unsmigghh:

I have not yet tested if ubernostrum cures that permanent annoyance (aside from contracting glotrot again to make sure your tongue falls off) but it should.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 19, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I took hooks for feet with my flying sniper. I really need to do a good sketch of him sometime. Kinda surprised it only boosts movespeed on the overworld though. And of course, this is the run where a traveling Barathrumite gets torn apart by madpoles and hes carrying like 5 spring loaded shoes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

7c Nickel posted:

I took hooks for feet with my flying sniper. I really need to do a good sketch of him sometime. Kinda surprised it only boosts movespeed on the overworld though. And of course, this is the run where a traveling Barathrumite gets torn apart by madpoles and hes carrying like 5 spring loaded shoes.

Hey, do you have the number that I could use to try out your character? Sounds neat!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, do you have the number that I could use to try out your character? Sounds neat!

BBIQMPHKBJBPBTB1B2B5CI

The exact stat adjustments and class don't matter. Suffice to say he's a big freaky man bat with weird atrophied back legs.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Considering how bad Hooks For Feet is compared to a lot of the other drawbacks (including the ever-ridiculous Amphibious), I really think it should have some sort of unique situational advantage that offsets your permanent decrease in mobility by protecting your mobility under certain circumstances. Like granting massive knockback resistance, or making you almost entirely immune to slipping on ooze and oil. A hook-footed slime spitter who murders people in melee while they slip around in gross mutant phlegm would be a really interesting build.

e: unless that was done already and I never noticed because I completely avoid Hooks For Feet on principle :v: Being unable to outrun anything - or even keep pace with it while you scrape together an escape plan - is pretty close to a death sentence for a lot of characters.

Honestly it isn't THAT bad of a defect, though nothing compares to amphibious' non-penalty. Not being able to wear shoes does hurt, but at the same time sprint can fill in the gaps of whatever you need.

Now defects that TRULY suck are ones like cold-blooded, hemophilia and narcolepsy. Having an permanent quickness penalty AND there existing an entire area that further exacerbates the problem makes cold-blooded a pretty awful choice. Hemophilia early on will get players killed incredibly fast if they aren't 's'earching every other step while underground, even if you luck out and manage to get a stockpile of bandages, though I haven't tried grabbing staunch wounds early on with it which could help quite a bit. Finally with narcolepsy, while its sleep effect is pretty rare, if it ever happens in an remotely serious fight your run is over. It could really use something akin to adrenal glands where the game warns you when you're about to pass out.

Though if I were to change these + other 4 point defects to be a little more palatable, here's what I think would work well with them:

Hooked Feet: Increase PV scaling/give 1 AV/or as diplomat said, reduced slippage chance on slime.

Cold-blooded: No default quickness loss/Being outdoors during daytime gives a quickness increase (we ARE in a steaming jungle beside a desert)/increase points value to 4. (Note that I may be talking out of my rear end with cold-blooded, since I have never actually taken it, so I may just look like a gigantic jackass right now)

Hemophilia: Maybe add medication into the game that helps coagulation which hemophiliacs start with, but at the same time make it a rare item. This will make the start of the game a little less daunting if you take this defect. Either that or have them start with a shitton of bandages.

Narcolepsy: Like mentioned before, when triggered, give the player a few turns before they actually DO pass out or have damage have a chance to wake you up.

Also amphibious could use a little tweak to make it actually be disadvantageous to take in some situations, like dehydrating faster when standing in salt water/salt (set it to 2000 drams minimum to trigger of course, otherwise I could see it triggering every time you auto 'drink') and higher temperatures to cause you to dry out faster. It'd still be quite good, but at the same time you'd be forced to adapt your playstyle.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Low % chance to kick with your creepy hook feet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/788545444263653376

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had a madpole tear off my feet as a hookfoot tinker pistolero birdman and regen will give you unhooked feet but you're still slow it just lets you wear shoes

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Every time I've taken Hooks For Feet, it has killed me. Sooner or later you're going to end up in a bad situation where Sprint runs out at the wrong time and your permanent speed penalty gives a chaingun turret or something a double turn on you, and then you're going to bite the salt.

My experience is actually on the opposite end with Haemophiliac. It's god-awful on fragile characters, but I mean, why the hell would you take it on fragile characters? A bunch of bandages and a willingness to rest frequently have always mitigated it for me, and Regeneration practically nullifies it altogether.

Amphibious really is a little absurdly valuable for how benign it is. IMO its point value should probably be 2, but that's just me. Unless you have 8 Ego and Glotrot it's really not that hard to keep enough water on hand to stay alive, outside of, like, repeated trade expeditions to and from the Six Day Stilt.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Re: Hooks for Feet advantages

Resistance to knockback? Toggleable?

Agreed with reduced slippage chance.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 20, 2016

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Even if you made Amphibious -2 instead of -4, it would be the best, no-impact defect. -1, maybe I'd just stop taking a defect at all, but probably would still take it.

The others? gently caress all that poo poo. You could make Hooks for Feet immune to knockdown, and I'd still skip what is practical immunity to Glotrot for not having a permanent -10 speed death sentence.

Give up a boot slot for no AV and no added melee attack for -2 or whatever? Sure, alright. That plus -10 speed? gently caress nah.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I know there was discussion about how bad it was weeks ago, but getting into the game again i really like the potentially symbiotic fungal infections and continue liking the diseases. I guess there is one people consider a death sentence that i've not run into yet?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Amphibious is so unimportant that if it was the downside to photosynthetic tuhat photosynthetic would still be good.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

S.T.C.A. posted:

Even if you made Amphibious -2 instead of -4, it would be the best, no-impact defect. -1, maybe I'd just stop taking a defect at all, but probably would still take it.

The others? gently caress all that poo poo. You could make Hooks for Feet immune to knockdown, and I'd still skip what is practical immunity to Glotrot for not having a permanent -10 speed death sentence.

Give up a boot slot for no AV and no added melee attack for -2 or whatever? Sure, alright. That plus -10 speed? gently caress nah.

It's -10 MOVE speed, not quickness which would be god awful. It still isn't a great defect, but you still can work around it with juke, jump and mutations that affect quickness/movespeed (time dilation, enhanced quickness, multiple feet, etc.).

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Aw, game hung on a screen transition and now my save isn't working.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

Aw, game hung on a screen transition and now my save isn't working.

If this happens it'd be great to get an output_log.txt.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, I have glotrot now and part of the cure requires salt.

This wouldn't be a big deal if the ichor dealer in the stiltsands had any, but he doesn't. Any reliable place to find salt? Anywho, in the meantime I'm going to see if dilute salt will work in its place.

edit: Also cloneling fun!

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 20, 2016

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Any reliable place to find salt?

None of the stores at the stilt had any? That's bad luck, unless there is some sort of boiling salt water mechanic i dont know about you might just need to find a fungus biome and hope for one of those endlessly spewing salt plants.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If you find any oil, I think dropping 1 dram of it and then setting it on fire can leave you with pure salt.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pumpkinreaper posted:

This wouldn't be a big deal if the ichor dealer in the stiltsands had any, but he doesn't. Any reliable place to find salt? Anywho, in the meantime I'm going to see if dilute salt will work in its place.

salty water works if you use 2 drams, same with dilute salt

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Slight problems to report about the overlay (which i really love for the most part) the main menu seems to only be controllable with the mouse when its on (even if mouse input is turned off). Also trying to save a character build with it on always seems to save it as "," or something.

The some item descriptions also do this:

I think because there is no sort of text wrapping so long descriptions just sort of scroll offscreen.

The ability to turn up the font size of the overlay log would also be nice, as well as maybe an option that makes it fade out after a set amount of time instead of turns so it doesn't obscure the map as much. Though that could also be helped by making holding alt temporarily remove it.

Sorry if any of this has already been reported and/or you aren't wanting to work on usability gripes with the overlay at the moment.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Clever Spambot posted:

quality gripes

Still a massive work in progress everywhere, but gripes are welcome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pumpkinreaper posted:

If you don't need more parts salt than other ingredients just dump twice the required amount of the rest of the ick on the ground and let nature run its course.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you drop one dram of a fluid on the ground, the resulting fluid you can pick up in a canteen is one dram that fluid one dram salt

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I ended up doubling up on diluted salt and it worked. Though my only means to light something on fire was pyrokinesis, so I had to be quick to pick up the canteen before it got destroyed.

Also managed to clear the bethesda susa for the first time! Harvestry and skillful harvestry made all the difference there, being able to gather a ton of luminous hoarshrooms to bolster my cold resist in the lower sections of it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
We have an announcement! Jason, one of our core team's two members, is now working full-time on Caves of Qud! Not only does this mean better weekly patches, but we'll also be bundling updates into bigger feature releases every few weeks. Stay tuned for more info. Until then, here's the first of our new and improved weekly patches.

• Added a new quest to the end of the main questline: Pax Klanq, I Presume?
    • Gave Pax Klanq dialog.
    • Spruced up Pax Klanq's hut.
    • Renamed the fungal jungle to The Rainbow Wood.
    • Added a new fungal infection: Klanq. You may observe strange behavior among the infected.
    • Added a procedurally-driven quest: Spread Klanq.
    • Added a new item: quantum mote.
    • Added descriptions for Eater's flesh, Eater's fleshcap, and human remains.
  • Added Barathrum the Old.
    • Added Barathrum's study beneath Grit Gate.
    • The stairs leading to Barathrum's study are now locked and require a key.
    • Added Euclid, a Markov-fueled prattleplant that loves to talk.
    • Added new furniture.
      • bookshelves with more procedural books
      • Barathrum clock
      • Barathrum clock with Q Girl pendulum
      • brass foaminator
      • flux gauge
      • electrodicus
    • Added new book: Crime and Punishment
  • Spruced up Q Girl's space, giving her more workbenches and tinker furniture.
  • Goatfolk no longer always hate baboon faction leaders for disproving famous theorems.
  • Added message log entries for NPCs unequipping items.
  • Added message log entries for NPCs tossing items aside.
  • Added clickable tiles for moving to an adjacent map when zoomed in.
  • Fixed tile for Mechanimst catechist.
  • Fixed grammar issue with night-vision goggles' article.
  • Fixed Shem -1's name in the quest text for A Call to Arms.
  • Fixed a liquid duplication issue when pouring volumes onto empty containers laying on the ground.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the sizes of message boxes to grow as more were displayed.
  • Made the text fit better on some character creation screens in the new UI.
  • Slightly increased default UI reference resolution to better accommodate small screens.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
gently caress yeah, time to start bringing the Peace of Klanq.

Also, I kind of like the idea of baboons ALWAYS being famous for disproving goatfolk theorems. They are devoted to trolling goatmath. :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

All right, bring on the new quests! never mind that I've never actually made it all the way to the end of the current batch

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Seems like my previous version save with this new version is a little buggy. Trading doesn't bring up the merchant screen and the game throws an error trying to save when you quit. Newly created game works fine.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

Seems like my previous version save with this new version is a little buggy. Trading doesn't bring up the merchant screen and the game throws an error trying to save when you quit. Newly created game works fine.

Yeah, not guaranteeing save game backwards comparability in Early Access. It'll usually work, but sometimes you'll get subtle or not-so-subtle upgrade issues. You can always finish off a saved game by rolling back to the previous stable build. Could send me an output_log.txt to support at freeholdgames.com just to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Is the Mechanist preacher supposed to be gone from Joppa?