Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

these god drat mirrors are embarrassingly goofy and impossible to adjust to where I want em

been riding twice on this setup, already looking to replace poo poo :owned:

remove crossbar y/n?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Y

get some hindsight or bar end mirrors

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Crossbars are terrible and gross.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I have the same stupid mirrors on my FZ, and I haven't replaced them yet because I might get new bars first.

It's a great way to remember which jacket I'm currently wearing, though.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I was hoping to avoid bar ends, but I guess I can deal with those as a last resort -- which, looking at ebay, is fast approaching...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes, definitely ditch the cross bar. Did it on my SV and it looked way better, from the rider's perspective.

Why don't you like bar ends? Those mirrors are hideous, I'm sorry. Would look better if they were about 2 inches closer to the bars. Any way to make that happen?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I may just end up quadropheniaing my bike; ain't nobody will be able to sneak up on me then.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you ditch the cross bar, how will you put cool cross bar pads on?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I used to have the lil circle barends on the clipons, and it was always a pain to crane my head to see them. I realize now that may just have been a function of my height and leaned-ness over the tank due to the clipons. Gonna get some napoleons and remove the bar (it came with the renthal pad)

Mostly I got the rabbit ear type because I wanted to be able to move my eyes just a lil bit to see poo poo, I liked having that ability on the ninja. They uggo for sure tho

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The solution to this is get a bike with fairings :can:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

I used to have the lil circle barends on the clipons, and it was always a pain to crane my head to see them. I realize now that may just have been a function of my height and leaned-ness over the tank due to the clipons. Gonna get some napoleons and remove the bar (it came with the renthal pad)

Mostly I got the rabbit ear type because I wanted to be able to move my eyes just a lil bit to see poo poo, I liked having that ability on the ninja. They uggo for sure tho

I feel the same, and the ninja had fantastic mirrors. The best combination of visibility and hidden away minimal size was the powermadd mirrors I put into my hand gaurds. But you'd have to have hand gaurds on your SV (which wouldn't look bad). Have you thought of the doubletake mirrors?

Personally, I do most of my stuff with shoulder checks, but I still have to have mirrors so I can see behind me at lights, and satisfy paranoia on the road. My 690 has crg mirrors, which are rad, but almost useless. I'm ok to settle with this.

https://www.doubletakemirror.com/build/components

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 15, 2016

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Why be slick when you could just have adorable alien antennae and actually good convex mirrors? I can see everything. Flat bike mirrors are worthless garbage.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009

M42 posted:

Cheap circle bar ends work just fine!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

M42 posted:

https://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
he might be able to see something in those but they look worse than what he already has

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

leave the crossbar, put the pad on it, and run barend mirrors and ride in comfort knowing you have made the right choice (R)

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

hit the bricks pal! posted:

Cheap circle bar ends work just fine!

What kind of bag is that you got goin' on there?

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

What kind of bag is that you got goin' on there?

Cortech 2 tailbag with some drybag haphazardly strapped on top. Not an ideal setup but it worked for a rainy weekend.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Haha that's the exact bike and mirror set up I'm moving toward. I really like those doubletake mirrors though!

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

M42 posted:

these god drat mirrors are embarrassingly goofy and impossible to adjust to where I want em

been riding twice on this setup, already looking to replace poo poo :owned:

remove crossbar y/n?

So quick question, is this a SV650 and if so , what year is it? It looks very nice !

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yes, 05. Looked nicer before I put the bars on it imo, but comfort is comfort.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
what's the BMW next to it, K1200-something?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

mulligan posted:

So quick question, is this a SV650 and if so , what year is it? It looks very nice !

It's a 2013 GS500.

M42 posted:

This is wrong, but I forgive you because black framed blue SV are the best SV.

Jazzzzz posted:

Is there a bike behind all that exhaust? How can you tell?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

M42 posted:

I'm really curious about the clearance between the exhaust and the tire on the bike on the right. It might just be perspective but it looks awfully drat close.

You've got a GSX-R front end on that SV, right? Did you ever ride a stock SV in anger to compare? I hear it's pretty popular and I am going to find myself at the track on mine ~eventually~

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

K1200s

Beach Bum posted:

I'm really curious about the clearance between the exhaust and the tire on the bike on the right. It might just be perspective but it looks awfully drat close.

You've got a GSX-R front end on that SV, right? Did you ever ride a stock SV in anger to compare? I hear it's pretty popular and I am going to find myself at the track on mine ~eventually~

The k bike (affectionately "whalebike" amongst my buddies) only had issues with peg clearance on the track, it's just the pic I think.

Stock sv is better for me on the street b/c it's soft af, the gsxr front end sucked at first and took some setting up (1kg springs stock lol, I need .80) but owned at the track, the adjustability is what matters. Most people swap because the stock ones are too soft

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Bought new biek. YZ250x. Motosport dot com hosed up my side panel numbers tho.

Put first ride on it last weekend. It's gr8

Immediately put on
GYTR flywheel weight
Galfer 270mm front rotor kit
Enduro Engineering hand guards
BRP radiator guards
Motion Pro micro bleeders
magnetic drain plug
TMDW skid plate

The sag was perfect for my weight out of the factory ~*magic*~

Brought it to the track last week and started tuning in the suspension for JDayOffroad races. For the first time in my life I needed to back off on stock compression to be happy. This thing shows its moto X background.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
Congrats, that is a sweet biek. Do you plan on changing anything else on it?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The only non-standard mod I did was I added pro taper "pro" clutch perch/lever and brake levers so I can have adjustable levers. The KTM's come with adjustables, and I like to run my levers very close to the bars. They're pretty great so far.

I also bought a Tubliss system instead of heavy duty tubes. Jury is out on that, but I think it will be good. I'll probably also put a Rekluse in it over winter cuz I'm going to contest the championship enduro series again this year, and they're bringing back timekeeping for every event, and I'm lazy.

The biggest unknown to me is I need lights for the enduro series. I might just buy some LED version, and get a little 12V regulated DC battery from sparkfun that I only use when in tech inspection at the race. Seems much easier than putting in a nicer lighting coil.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Because I'm a massive baby and haven't had a personal bike for almost 5 years, I'm back on my own 2 feet wheels! I'll never use all of the power, true, however I hope some of the other aids keep me comfy.
I'm hoping this turns out better than the last dong-machine I bought :ohdear:

And finally, yesterday, a few days after buying this thaang I found that lying in grass in gear is far comfier than surmised. If only the bike were this comfy..

Looking to get either some replacement bars, risers or something along those lines and some rearsets to ease what was once my knees.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Take a look at the convertibar kits:
https://convertibars.3dcartstores.com/BMW_c_22.html

I know a few folks that have used them in the past. Though on an SV1000.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Installed the uggo backup tail plastics on the 690 and did a hackjob fix of the misaligned holes so that the handles would fit. This allowed me to strap stuff to the tail of the 690. (Many thanks to Jazzzzz for the mountain of parts and farkles to work with)

Then I took Friday and Saturday to give my Canadian friend a tour of our mountains and good riding roads, and take in the spectactular fall foliage. I'd say we did a few hundred miles each day, coming back to Atlanta each night to eat and drink our fill at the local tavern. It was a fantastic time, with me finally getting the tail end out on corners, and him learning to wheelie (I am a terrible influence).

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Teaching him clutch-ups, or was he just not getting on the throttle?

If/when you buy another tail piece, I ordered most of the stuff out of the powerparts catalog from Appalachian Offroad and it showed up right quick at a decent price. Worth checking out

edit: don't forget to look at (and laugh at the price of) the carbon exhaust guards to match your new Wings can

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just not getting on the throttle like he should. I told him "literally, just open the throttle in first and hold on", and did some frequent 12oclocks on our journey. By the end of the second day, I was catching him bringing the front up a foot or so here and there on a straight. :D

I've done exactly one 2nd clutch up, which was in your area, and am waiting to get to the local wheelie practice lot before I try anything more. Besides, 1st gear is so long that I'm completely sated by riding out power wheelies right now.

CF exhaust gaurds are crazy expensive and not even an improvement over the look of stock. I am, however, planning to do this to them in the next month (with a little something extra in store):

Thanks for the heads up on App Offroad. I'll check them out.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if you can find a place that does car wheel repair a lot of times they do powdercoating and you can get stuff done on the cheap. That's how I got that skid plate done in flat black, and it cost a whole $35. I should've had the exhaust guards done at the same time, but didn't think of it

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Five months later and I've changed the tyres, got new brake discs, added auxiliary indicators to the luggage rack, swapped the awful OEM JIS fairing screws for shiny silver allen head ones, stuck grip tape on the handlebars (the pro-est mod of the lot, distance riding is effortless now and I'm barely getting any vibration at all) and fixed that irritating leak oil in the timing cover.

And these are still the only pictures I have of me in my current gear. Shameful.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Good looking bike mate.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Couchasaki

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It is comfy as gently caress and I'm sad nobody makes sub-litre bikes this fat anymore.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I fondly remember my ZX6E. 50k or so miles, 3 engines, I was bad at working on things. Lovely bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
First biek

-A n i m 8- fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 29, 2016