Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/791129050286854146
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niwrad posted:

How did Rose and Noah look?

Noah seemed really useful and good and was always doing great stuff off-ball and setting up good plays and Rose was pure garbage. Started hitting a lot of shots then kept taking idiotic looks and finished the game on like a 1-9 run and his passes weren't really where they should have been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Jonathan Simmons.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think the Warriors will easily win the title but if they choke it will be one of the funniest moments in the history of the NBA.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

quoting from gdt cause lol:

Ghost Dog posted:

lightyears ahead of traffic

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

chunkles posted:

Jonathan Simmons.
https://twitter.com/mynameisjohn/status/791140535394238465

please look at this dunk he made on javale mcgee

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

chunkles posted:

Jonathan Simmons.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/791140464023986177

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

EvanTH posted:

Noah seemed really useful and good and was always doing great stuff off-ball and setting up good plays and Rose was pure garbage. Started hitting a lot of shots then kept taking idiotic looks and finished the game on like a 1-9 run and his passes weren't really where they should have been

So things haven't changed.

Derrick Rose has sucked for years now. He comes in to the season out of shape, never learns the actual offense, and constantly tells people he's still elite and everything is going to fall into place at any moment. His first few years here were a blast but I'm so glad he's gone.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am v excited about Joe Johnson and George Hill. I am very not excited about what appears to be the Bobcat version of Diaw

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
He was kinda doing that sorta stuff all last year you guys should watch Spurs games. They turned into a dunking team.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/kdtrey5/status/78150326854754305

MourningView posted:

I am v excited about Joe Johnson and George Hill. I am very not excited about what appears to be the Bobcat version of Diaw

George Hill will be the actual factual point guard you have been waiting for.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Reminder that some cool people and Metapod hang out in Discord at chat ball if you want to join us - https://discord.gg/xW87dMj

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

Kawhi MVP y'all.

He's seriously some unearthly platonic ideal of a team player. Lenny Beans has played 324 regular season games, and scored 25 or more points in 26 (about to be 27) of them. The Spurs are 24-2 (about to be 25-2) in the regular season when Kawhi scores 25 or more.

(Include playoff games and it's 33-4, statistic carries over as 5-2 into Super Important Games which is still incredible but is less immediately one sided. To put this in a useless context, when Jordan scored 25 or more points in a playoff game his teams went 108-44)

(bbr says I should source them when I look stuff up so I considered this while watching the game and then looked it up on basketball-reference. use basketball reference dot com to look up stupid stuff thanks)

He's my favorite player right now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

https://twitter.com/kdtrey5/status/78150326854754305

George Hill will be the actual factual point guard you have been waiting for.

It is so unbelievably nice to have an actual competent point guard and not, like, Jamal Tinsley. No one has ever been more excited to watch solid, boring, above average George Hill basketball than I am this year.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
this is true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N43xyq-xix4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HechvTHuIL0
he just lost consistency and ended up getting yanked by pop last year it seemed

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

dang man it's too bad there's not any warriors posters in SAS these days

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I had a friend of college unfriend me on facebook and call me petty and salty because I posted "I thought the Warriors were supposed to be decent 🤔🤔🤔🤔"

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

That's still my favorite screen capture ever. It just perfectly encapsulated the warriors last year.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spoeank posted:

I had a friend of college unfriend me on facebook and call me petty and salty because I posted "I thought the Warriors were supposed to be decent 🤔🤔🤔🤔"

Lol @ people who can't handle when their favorite team gets embarrassed. If nothing else, they could just stay off the Internet for a day or two.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
what a great opening night for the Spurs. what a great opening night for basketball. here's to 2016-17 being a great season

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kibner posted:

Lol @ people who can't handle when their favorite team gets embarrassed. If nothing else, they could just stay off the Internet for a day or two.

Funny because most warriors fans I know stayed off from June 19, 2016 until July 7, 2016.

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

Holy poo poo Spurs never look bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KILLDEM WARRIORS

Edit: Kawhi's long arms and big hands make him the next Lebron??

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/BabersGreen/status/791144764255109120

DRAY MOM FUCKIN HAD IT WITH THIS poo poo.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I like how she was squawking all game for the Dubs to put Javale in and then when he got garbage time minutes he immediately got thunderdunked on lol

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Should be 97-1 at that point

Congratulations to GSW finishing 97-5 on the season.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Link me to the poll again I have to take it please

Rick posted:

Zogo can I change my vote for rookie PER leader to Jamal Murray?

The poll is officially set in stone now that the season has started.

straight up brolic posted:

I just really don't think it occupy's the same real estate in people's mind that Jordan's shot does. This is not me saying "nothing incredible" ever happened, it's just that nothing will ever be as iconic in the media and our minds as the Jordan shot. It's what I imagine most people reflexively think about when they hear the words clutch gene. It is omnipresent. Every other legendary play requires some kind of prompting, it's not the platonic ideal of the game itself.

Definitely seems like a generational/era thing.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Zogo posted:

Definitely seems like a generational/era thing.

It really is. "Havlicek stole the ball!!!" is to the Bird/Magic generation what the Jordan pushoff+jumper is to the Lebron generation.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
that play was actually bad

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MourningView posted:

It is so unbelievably nice to have an actual competent point guard and not, like, Jamal Tinsley. No one has ever been more excited to watch solid, boring, above average George Hill basketball than I am this year.

He's really good off the ball. Fits disgustingly well with that team.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I want to stuff Reggie Miller in a locker.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

:wtf: Warriors. They didn't lose a home game until April last season. Congratulations to the Spurs 2017 champions. :rip: Warriors.

Fire Mike Brown into the sun. KD must need more hunger.

I am feeling good about picking Kawhi to lead in WS this year.

Dejan Bimble posted:

When I say this I don't want to sound like I'm having an insight, but I do think that's why people like the NFL. The general randomness makes it a good TV show, like a soap opera where characters randomly are killed off or revealed to be twins, things just happen, the ball is a silly shape, there are a ton of guys who are allowed to slam into each other but only from some directions and hold but only at certain points, it's really an absurd accretion of rules that leads to wild variance

With the NFL the scale is much larger and that appeals to some too.

A lot of peoples favorite sports are what they grew up watching due to friends/relatives. And also it's reinforced a lot if the local team is elite. I know I wouldn't have watched nearly as much 1990s basketball if the Bulls were trash.

Niwrad posted:

So things haven't changed.

Derrick Rose has sucked for years now. He comes in to the season out of shape, never learns the actual offense, and constantly tells people he's still elite and everything is going to fall into place at any moment. His first few years here were a blast but I'm so glad he's gone.

17 points on 17 shots and 2 FTAs. Vintage Rose.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I keep randomly smiling.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

Diaw will never be good on a non-contender, I know it's armchair psych poo poo but he just doesn't have the mentality for it. He's in Utah collecting a paycheck. Hill and Johnson are straight up perfect for that roster though, Johnson is going to feast on backups when Hayward gets back.

Good Work You Get An HIV posted:

Holy poo poo Spurs never look bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KILLDEM WARRIORS

Edit: Kawhi's long arms and big hands make him the next Lebron??

More like Jordan :smug: Spurs apparently parsecs ahead

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

the gently caress is green doing there just chillin out

e; that aint him by bad

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I wanted to pick Kawhi for WS leader on the poll but I figured my homerism was biasing that decision and didn't do it. Should've gone with my gut and also my heart.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

once I start teaching, I will make it a point to ask my students if there is a better play than The Block. answering yes is an automatic failure tbh

e: I took a look at the highlights from Knicks-Cavs, and LeBron just savaging the Knicks is nothing new. Porzingis looked good, and put up a solid amount of threes. Derrick Rose may be Back too, which would be interesting to see if he can hold up for a period of time (he won't).

Kyrie is a bad, bad, bad man

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 26, 2016

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Has anyone pointed out that the Warriors are currently on a 4-game losing streak

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ajkalan posted:

Has anyone pointed out that the Warriors are currently on a 4-game losing streak

Maybe, but did anyone point out that the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Prediction Time:

The Warriors will lose their next couple games, and then go on a huge run to have an insane season, like nearly 70 wins despite the terrible start and still get the first seed. In the first round, they're gonna get dumpstered by old man Dirk and the Mavs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Kibner posted:

You going to the game tomorrow?

naw im native new orleans but live in arkansas which means the only chances i really have to get to games are oklahoma city. do plan to visit the city this season and see a game

• Locked thread