Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'm beginning to get very concerned with how much we're trying to cram into a very small area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, that's literally right where it was proposed to put 3 company.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Do you guys want me to post something along the lines of what I had in my mind? I can sketch something out but don't want to do anything too specific. Basically I was thinking that 2nd Coy deploys as Dublish presented, a company from 3rd Coy moves up to take NastyToes' place, and then the treeline by Victory Road will be defended by our special/heavy weapon teams. The rest of 3rd Coy would be on the road in reserve to fill in wherever the enemy attack actually falls.

(Those aren't orders, just what I have in my head. I'll sketch out an example thing in case people want me to post it)

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The area I've assigned for 1st Platoon 1st Company extends about 400-450 meters west of where I understand 3rd Company has been assigned. That doesn't seem especially dense for a single platoon in moderate forest to me. I agree that it's going to be extremely crowded around Mt Silver, but unless 3rd Company is ordered to shift west somewhat I don't think there's much overlap here, and indeed that there would be a gap without a platoon in these woods.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

1st Armour Platoon

Continue previous orders.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

First off, we're calling in some mortars. 3 Tubes - Heavy / Medium. Anti-Personnel

If, after the next two minutes, everything looks chill, we'll cancel it.

Infantry next.

1st Squad : Remain in position.
2nd Squad : SPLIT Scout team, scouts advance QUICK to the edge of the treeline then FAST across the open section, then HUNT to the edge of the road line. The rest of 2nd Squad will HUNT to the edge of the woodline.
3rd Squad : HOLD (please ignore the graphic)

3rd BTR : Move ahead a bit and tuck into a better spot.

Armor

Please reposition 2nd MBT.

Continue reversing the other two MBT's into the treeline.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 26, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Yooper posted:

First off, we're calling in some mortars. 3 Tubes - Heavy / Medium. Anti-Personnel

If, after the next two minutes, everything looks chill, we'll cancel it.

b. Danger Close. DANGER CLOSE is included in the method of engagement when the target is (rounds will impact) within 600 meters of friendly troops for mortar and artillery, 750 meters for naval guns 5-inch and smaller, and 1,000 meters for naval guns larger than 5-inch. For naval 16-inch ICM, danger close is 2,000 meters.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Hubis posted:

b. Danger Close. DANGER CLOSE is included in the method of engagement when the target is (rounds will impact) within 600 meters of friendly troops for mortar and artillery, 750 meters for naval guns 5-inch and smaller, and 1,000 meters for naval guns larger than 5-inch. For naval 16-inch ICM, danger close is 2,000 meters.

It's the oldest play in the book...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uXLzZyucI

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hubis posted:

1,000 meters for naval guns larger than 5-inch. For naval 16-inch ICM, danger close is 2,000 meters.

Naval bombardments? Dont tease me! I'd so call that down on our position.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

But seriously, artillery like this has two valid uses (in my mind)

1) Harassing/removing/displacing enemies in static fortified positions, or
2) Denying a maneuvering enemy temporary cover or a route of attack.

Most importantly, it's not
3) destroying a maneuvering target

In this case I just want to make sure we're doing (2) and not trying to do (3). We *might* hit something (that isn't our own increasingly concentrated forces) but in my mind the bigger impact is that it will be throwing up a huge "THOU SHALT NOT PASS" sign to the enemy who may or may not be following that sighted patrol along that route. If they *are* coming that way then they have to either take the casualties and morale hit, delay their push (and so afford us more time to get into position), or abandon that line of advance and select another.

I'm not trying to backseat general your choice to call in a fairly risky (but, let's face it, fun and potentially effective) fire mission; however, it's worth being clear exactly what we're trying to achieve here. We might be able to get away with calling that strike at a bit more safe of a distance which would still be effective as area denial for either stalling or shaking the enemy rather than trying to mortar snipe one squad walking point.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

quote:

Took me ages to figure out what was wrong with the protocol: in the military grid reference system the coordinates Encino Man gave out are (38R)PQ05909803, his position, with precision of 10m, and then he gave direction and range (8 degrees clockwise from north and 203 meters away) to the target he wanted. However, this is actually a coordinate in Chechnya (lol).

:v:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Hubis posted:

I'm not trying to backseat general your choice to call in a fairly risky (but, let's face it, fun and potentially effective) fire mission; however, it's worth being clear exactly what we're trying to achieve here. We might be able to get away with calling that strike at a bit more safe of a distance which would still be effective as area denial for either stalling or shaking the enemy rather than trying to mortar snipe one squad walking point.

We don't know where the enemy are coming from exactly, however if you trace a straight line from that convoy we saw on Route 23 to our positions, that contact is right in line with it. I expect this to develop into a firefight, that could potentially last several minutes.

If there are no further enemy contacts, we cancel the mission. If it turns out they're marching a platoon+ on that axis of attack, and get bogged down shooting at Yooper, then we let the mortars loose on them and see what happens.

Besides, we're Russians. I think calling artillery in on our own troops means we're winning.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

professor_curly posted:

We don't know where the enemy are coming from exactly, however if you trace a straight line from that convoy we saw on Route 23 to our positions, that contact is right in line with it. I expect this to develop into a firefight, that could potentially last several minutes.

If there are no further enemy contacts, we cancel the mission. If it turns out they're marching a platoon+ on that axis of attack, and get bogged down shooting at Yooper, then we let the mortars loose on them and see what happens.

OK cool, that's exactly how I was reading it. Just wanted to make sure I was on the same page (1st Coy has a lot of free time to ponder things like this during our long nature walks :v: )

professor_curly posted:

Besides, we're Russians. I think calling artillery in on our own troops means we're winning.

I think you're only supposed to do that if they're retreating, though v:confused:v

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

Continue previous orders. I think my squads still need to be split.

Fray posted:

ORDERS - 1/3

Cancel prior orders. MOVE BTRs to the indicated positions. DISMOUNT infantry and MOVE to indicated dots. FACE per blue lines.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Recon Platoon

Yellow BTR squad:
Continue until the sparse/light woods is reached. Dismount two scout teams of 2 each, and have them HUNT to the indicated positions. Then remount whoever's left (if they can't just stay inside) and MOVE QUICK through the sparse woods. I'm counting on the denser woods and low elevation to conceal the BTR, if the enemy doesn't advance north we will want something to the west and threading back through the valleys isn't really an option now.
Red BTR squad:
HUNT SW to the indicated position.
Red BTR:
Pop smoke and MOVE QUICK NE such that the movement ends hugging the treeline.
Blue BTR:
Keep going.

Decoy Badger fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 26, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OK, well I've can't really do my orders any later than this, so for ease of coordination I'll take the second line duties and Katz can deploy to the frontlines.

Orders for 3 Company 2 Platoon 'Concerned Ukrainian Citizens', Weapons Platoon 'Humanitarian Convoy' and Battalion ATGM platoon 'Lost Muscovite Football Team'

Rifle Group
Move vehicles 1 and 3 like so. BAttalion ATGM carrier 3 changes destination to take the track out onto the highway. Blue lines are normal speed, yellow is quick.

Weapons Platoon
Continue last moves. Transfer an HMG team to the vehicle of 3-2-2, and an ATGM team to Katzenmaus's BTR (3-1-3).

Notes:
2 Co, I can move a Battalion ATGM team to replace your overwatch tank next round if you want. If we are worried about NATO reinforcements appearing on the highway I could put the last one in a position that looks west, otherwise I'll keep it in reserve until a pressing need arises.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 26, 2016

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
^ Alright will do.

3./1. Motostrelki "Prancing Weasel"
BTR1 with 3/1/1 Inf and 3/1 HQ
BTR2 with 3/1/2 Inf
BTR3 with 3/1/3 Inf + Soon: ATGM team from Jaguars!

(Future) Intentions: Move all assets to the new focus point. Have a good overlook of the hill top with the BTRs and the RPG teams while in cover, scout into the woods with the rifles.

Move 3/1/1 into BTR1.
BTR1 with 3/1/1 move along red line, at location dismount 3/1/1 and move them into the woods. Face S

Move 3/1/2 into BTR2.
BTR2 with 3/1/2 move along orange line, at location dismount 3/1/2 and move them into the woods.Face SE

BTR3 with 3/1/3 wait for the ATGM team from Jaguars!.
Load ATGM into BTR3, follow cyan.

------------
The units probably won't get there in the next 5 minutes, but theoretically speaking, how unwise would it be to set up an Batallion ATGM team in the wooded spot on Mt. Silver?

Should I rather set it up in the back near the highway?

What is the status of our anti air teams? Should we move some forward to this increasing concentration of our forces, and would that even help? The range seems infinite but they would be closer with shorter missile flight durations. Maybe someone knows.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

glym, any revisions to the plan or should I move out to Jagged Pass now?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

glym, any revisions to the plan or should I move out to Jagged Pass now?

Go ahead in. I think it's the best spot for you based on what we know the enemy is doing so far. If their 3rd company shows up in the west, you might march south to keep our line compact, but for now I think you will be good in that spot.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Katznmaus posted:

The units probably won't get there in the next 5 minutes, but theoretically speaking, how unwise would it be to set up an Batallion ATGM team in the wooded spot on Mt. Silver?

Should I rather set it up in the back near the highway?

I'd probably stick it in the woodline myself. If you're in the copse you'd probably get one shot off before being suppressed to hell whereas if you were in the woods the hostiles might advance further, but they'll eat a few more ATGM's at the same time.
It also looks like a spot where an ATGM would go, so I could see NATO focusing some fire there regardless if we had anything in place.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I won't be able to post a map 'til after I'm home from work but the intention is to occupy 3/1's old positions. :saddowns:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
So I've summarized everything into a map in Roll20 called (Not Orders) Defensive Overview. To make it clear, these aren't orders for people, but me trying to summarize our defensive plan as I understand it. If I were to interpret our orders, this is basically what I would come up with. If these don't seem accurate, then we need to do some clarification. Here is an image of what I could capture and still be barely readable.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Orders for 3 coy comin today

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
`

Battalion assets

Command vehicle 1
Stay put.

Command vehicle 2
Basically keep heading towards the AGL dismounts, but please adjust the path slightly in order to follow the road:

If by some miracle it gets near the AGL teams without bogging, then I'll temporarily commandeer them and get them inside the BTR.

FAC team
Unless cancelled by ProfessorCurly (nvm, he ok'ed it), dismount and begin a nice soggy trek through the swamp:

Mortar FO
Keep going.

Battalion FO
Move quickly slightly back up to higher ground, which will afford a better view of the imminent fire mission. Face as shown.

FO BTR crew
Stay where you are and rest for a bit.

Jobbo_Fett
Cancel all movement orders and rest for a bit.

abelian fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 26, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Decoy Badger posted:

Red BTR squad:
Split a scout team off the squad and have it HUNT SW to the indicated position. The remainder HUNTs NE to the indicated position.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to split this team, since I got the other half of the squad killed, and combat mission doesn't allow you to further subdivide a team that is already split off :(. Sorry.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

abelian posted:

Unfortunately, you won't be able to split this team, since I got the other half of the squad killed, and combat mission doesn't allow you to further subdivide a team that is already split off :(. Sorry.

Dang, so I should be splitting the intact squads into the smallest possible elements from the start if I wanted to spread out my pixeltovarischen more? Edited my orders.

I really don't expect many of these guys to be alive after the next 5 minutes, so don't worry about getting them killed!

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

2nd Company / 3rd and 4th Platoon

Mount up 4th platoon and then move at QUICK down the road into these positions facing south and then deploy weapons. Leave ATGM B team where it currently is.
3rd platoon should get back into their BTRs, move QUICK along the yellow line, and then dismount and MOVE along the blue lines to take up positions north of Yoopers platoon.

NastyToes fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 26, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Decoy Badger posted:

Dang, so I should be splitting the intact squads into the smallest possible elements from the start if I wanted to spread out my pixeltovarischen more? Edited my orders.
Unfortunately, you can't spread them out into more than two teams per squad.

The game UI puts each infantry squad into columns (red rectangles below) indicating separate fire teams.

You can only split a squad if it takes up more than a single column in that box.

In WWII games, some infantry sections had three columns/teams (American and Italian infantry, for example) and were thus splittable into three different fire teams. Modern squads tend to be smaller, usually 6 or 7 men, and I don't think anything in this game can be subdivided into more than two teams. Your squads look pretty much like regular infantry squads (six AK-74 rifles, one or two with a grenade launcher attachment, and a PKP machine gun) , except they don't have the reusable RPG-7 (they do carry a couple single-shot disposable RPG-26s, and there are a few more in each BTR that can be retrieved using the "acquire" command).

Here is the manual for the various team splitting options:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Orders are final

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dammit I just got home

my orders were to stay put anyway

I don't think moving a whole company is a good idea right now

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Dammit I just got home

my orders were to stay put anyway

I don't think moving a whole company is a good idea right now

lol

Spend less time agonizing over the Star Wars thread and maybe you'll be able to mention your concerns earlier.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dublish posted:

lol

Spend less time agonizing over the Star Wars thread and maybe you'll be able to mention your concerns earlier.

I can shitpost in star wars on my phone, I cannot create and send orders on my phone.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I can shitpost in star wars on my phone, I cannot create and send orders on my phone.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smAdmKQE_w4

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4rvza833ostzle/Goon%20Game%20Turn%2017%20RUS%20Replay.bts?dl=0
Password: Poutine

Next orders due Sunday at 18:00 EST

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

RIP recon squad. They located the enemy bullets.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OK, I think we should advance to take as much of the Jagged ravine system as possible. Why? it's the dominant feature of the whole lower left quarter of the map. It's a hell of a lot easier to fight out of it than it is to fight the enemy inside of it, and there is not likely to be significant enemy forces in it or our recon would have found them by now. If we control to the edges of it, then we can freely transport men through the bottom of it while the enemy approach is split due to the open ground that we can dominate. Units under fire can disengage and relocate easily. Any enemy reaching the draws loses the support of their tanks and IFV due to close country LOS issues. The enemy doesn't have the men or the space to flank it effectively. It serves as an excellent jumpoff point if we want to advance and provides excellent defensive terrain if we need to retreat.

Best of all, it's simple to do; 1 Company can simply move their dismounts at normal pace and they'll detect any enemy movement, I very much doubt that the enemy has set up an ambush already, let alone one that will affect more than one or two squads.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 27, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This is how I see it at the moment.

The big question mark I have is the gold arrow, are they pushing west, and if so what are they aiming to do? Same with the Mt. Silver push, are they really planning on heading up North through there?

I agree with Jagged pass, if we can lock that down then they are almost forced to push up on the east side of Mt. Silver. If they continue to push West and head up Mt Moon I'm confident we can shift assets on Victory road in time to deny them that route as well.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Would it be worth throwing artillery at the contacts near Ravaged Path? Our tanks are pretty much in position so forcing them to move out might snag us some kills.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I agree with Yooper's map. I suspect they planned this two-pronged approach to some degree, probably hoping the company on the road could make a turn west before we were in position. If it were me I think I'd try to put some tanks at the treeline opposite Koolkevz666's to command the field and move infantry up the flank. Probably spot for us in the treeline and drop artillery on it if needed.

I am pretty confident Fray's platoon can advance to better forward positions, but I hesitate to move Hubis and Forums Terrorist off the line along the pass until we have recon slightly more forward. We have the luxury of being in the position of the defender (sorta) having moved into a blocking position. This line is a much better place to fight from, stopped with relatively decent sightlines, than bumping into a company walking the woods, where the fight would be basically even. FT also has at least 4 or 5 minutes before he's into position, I think. I'd love a chance to swing south and envelope the enemy, but it seems premature to commit to that to me and unlikely the enemy wouldn't guard against it. We know basically nothing about their third company right now, but might have some eyes in place to confirm where they are or aren't to a much better degree in the next orders phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Re. Jagged Pass, I see no reason to not at least scout it out. 1 coy lead elements can always break contact and fall back to hasty ambush positions if they run across anything nasty. I think it's extremely unlikely that any sane opponent would choose that route, but these are goons we're talking about after all.

I checked Kev's tanks' LoS; they should be able to see onto Ravaged Path up to near the bend in the road. The fact that they haven't spotted anything so far makes it likely that NATO hasn't gotten that far west yet.

Yooper, if you move your tanks just slightly forward, you can have keyhole LoS over most of the depth of the Mt Silver field, with little or no exposure to the treeline. I think the chance of ambushing any vehicles they try to bring in is good enough that we don't want to pass it up. You can always fall back on the reverse slope later. The more attrition we can cause before they hit our main defensive line, the better.

Decoy Badger posted:

Would it be worth throwing artillery at the contacts near Ravaged Path? Our tanks are pretty much in position so forcing them to move out might snag us some kills.
Unfortunately, I don't think we have a spotter capable of seeing that cluster of enemy contacts.

• Locked thread