Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Props Department
Jul 10, 2007

creamed corn & confucius
Whatever you think of the Hinkie Method for Obliterating Your NBA Roster, it's clear that he sold it to the private equity assholes who own the team when they hired him. His big mistake was trusting them to let him see it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Fast Luck posted:

No, because he didn't get pushed out because the pieces didn't fit. He got pushed out because parts of ownership got shook and the league applied pressure. Porzingis would've been a really really good fit to have, but from what I've heard ownership actually was against picking him although Hinkie was interested.

I got my bro a shirt that had a bust of Hinkie on it and said "2013-2016" on it and he got to wear it to the game for Embiid's debut where everyone high fived and celebrated over Embiid, Simmons, the Process, and Sam Hinkie.

Porzingus was his first choice by far. Ownership said no.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Porzingus was his first choice by far. Ownership said no.

Is there a source for this or is it just more Hinkie fan fiction?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Most of the 'success stories' of tanking do it for one year. If you're tanking year after year, you're pretty much losing all the benefits as you get your guys coming off the rookie contracts and you're still rebuilding.

People give teams like the Rockets and Mavs poo poo for just reloading with vets year after year but at least those teams go somewhere and a Mavs team built like that did win the finals.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Check the second link in my prev post. It's been reported, and we know Hinkie went to Spain a bunch, but who can say for sure.

morestuff posted:

Ainge building a 48-win team out of one mediocre top-10 pick and a bunch of spare tires is pretty crazy still
Stevens you m ean, not Ainge

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

I hope Embiid stays healthy cause he says funny things on twitter

I find it hilarious that Embiid grew up in an upper middle class home and his mom drove a Mercedes but when he came to America he told people he killed a lion because Americans will believe anything and then Americans believed it.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

quote:

Marc Berman of the New York Post is reporting that Sixers ownership preferred the top three American prospects in the draft (so, Jahlil Okafor) over Kristaps Porzingis:

Sources have indicated Philly ownership was gung-ho to take one of the Big 3 — Karl-Anthony Towns, Jahlil Okafor or D’Angelo Russell — because taking another unknown European project may not have sat well with a disenchanted fan base.

As The Post has reported, Knicks president Phil Jackson would have done the same thing as Sixers GM Sam Hinkie — chosen Okafor over Porzingis. According to a source, the Knicks were still concerned about Okafor’s “defense, lack of shot-blocking ability and poor lateral speed,” but still had him higher on the board than Porzingis.

Hinkie also had been over to Europe twice to see Zing before anyone else.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

I find it hilarious that Embiid grew up in an upper middle class home and his mom drove a Mercedes but when he came to America he told people he killed a lion because Americans will believe anything and then Americans believed it.

Link?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bashez posted:

I really liked Aldridge last year defensively. This is probably just a bunch of premature stuff but he just doesn't look as focused right now. Lee has been pretty surprising, actually. I know I'm just blowing a tiny sample size out of proportion.

Pretty happy with Kyle Anderson's play too.

I'm hoping the Spurs just had a little come down versus the Kings because they did not look particularly good.

Aldridge looked great defensively against Golden State imo. He was the biggest guy on the court who wasn't a total stiff like Pachulia or getting lovely foul calls like Gasol and he did the big guy's job on the boards. I didn't catch the Kings game but if there's one Spur who I would expect to act like a normal person who hadn't been yelled at by Pop since he was 19 and take it a bit easy after crushing a superteam, it would be him. I think him taking a low-spotlight night a little off is understandable, but obviously not good and I hope/bet his effort becomes more consistent as the year goes pn like last season.

In summary yeah I wouldn't take a close win against the Kings as the team is coming down off a huge high as a sign of much to worry about.

Props Department posted:

Whatever you think of the Hinkie Method for Obliterating Your NBA Roster, it's clear that he sold it to the private equity assholes who own the team when they hired him. His big mistake was trusting them to let him see it through.

This is an excellent point in that he realized it would be incredibly easy to convince them he could Disrupt building an NBA team.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Embiid was raised in an upper middle class home in the Cameroonian capital of Yaounde. His parents made him wash his own clothes by hand, but they employed a maid. His mother drove a Mercedes. He ate omelettes for breakfast. He was not allowed to play sports until he had memorized all the notes he jotted throughout the day’s classes. “I was a little soft,” Embiid says, “but the Americans had no idea about any of that. They just knew I was from Africa. They thought I grew up poor, in the jungle, killing lions. I was like, If that’s how they think of me, I’m going to use it.”

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/26/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-the-process/?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

This whole article is a pro click

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

He mentions it offhand in the same write-up where he talks about finding videos of regular white people on youtube.
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/26/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-the-process

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kiimo posted:

Embiid always sounds like a dude it'd be super fun to hang out with.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Hinkie in summer 2013 took over a team coming off a 34-48 season where their 10 best players by win shares descending were Thad Young, Dorell Wright, Spencer Hawes, Jrue Holiday, Lavoy Allen, Nick Young, Evan Turner, Damien Wilkins, Arnett Moultrie, Jason Richardson.

Several of the teams with a worse record than the 76ers that season already had future cornerstones on their teams e.g. Anthony Davis, Boogie, John Wall, Kyrie, Kevin Love. The ones that imo did not are Charlotte, Phoenix and Orlando.

Charlotte are capped out and over-performed last year to finish 6th in the East, the other 2 franchises are terrible...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ragle posted:

Hinkie in summer 2013 took over a team coming off a 34-48 season where their 10 best players by win shares descending were Thad Young, Dorell Wright, Spencer Hawes, Jrue Holiday, Lavoy Allen, Nick Young, Evan Turner, Damien Wilkins, Arnett Moultrie, Jason Richardson.

Several of the teams with a worse record than the 76ers that season already had future cornerstones on their teams e.g. Anthony Davis, Boogie, John Wall, Kyrie, Kevin Love. The ones that imo did not are Charlotte, Phoenix and Orlando.

Charlotte are capped out and over-performed last year to finish 6th in the East, the other 2 franchises are terrible...

All three are better than the Sixers are right now.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Sixers are in about the same place as the Lakers are except the Lakers have the advantage of having gotten their young guys a year of playing time (which is not necessarily the Sixers' fault of course but the Lakers also started rebuilding like two years after the Sixers)

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I mean, for years of being abjectly terrible, they maybe - maybe - have 1 star if everything breaks (or doesn't break) right in Embiid, a solid if unspectacular Saric and one of Noel or Okafor who are both deeply flawed.

I agree with the idea behind the Process, but I don't think it's unfair to say that it hasn't exactly produced incredible results.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ragle posted:

Charlotte is a good team that could be a top 4 seed this year

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Panzeh posted:

People give teams like the Rockets and Mavs poo poo for just reloading with vets year after year but at least those teams go somewhere and a Mavs team built like that did win the finals.

That's because the Rockets and Mavs have their Superstar

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Henchman of Santa posted:

All three are better than the Sixers are right now.

I would way rather be in the 76ers shoes than the Suns, probably more than Orlando. Charlotte looks like they'll be a decent enough playoff team but probably never a contender so it depends on how you'd value that.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

roundmidnight posted:

I mean, for years of being abjectly terrible, they maybe - maybe - have 1 star if everything breaks (or doesn't break) right in Embiid, a solid if unspectacular Saric and one of Noel or Okafor who are both deeply flawed.

I agree with the idea behind the Process, but I don't think it's unfair to say that it hasn't exactly produced incredible results.

Ben Simmons RIP

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
You can make all the right decisions and still have things go wrong. Philly is proof of that.

You can make all the wrong decisions and have things go right. Cleveland is proof of that.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Jota posted:

Ben Simmons RIP

I tried to only focus on people who have actually played!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

IcePhoenix posted:

That's because the Rockets and Mavs have their Superstar

People have also been saying the Mavs should tear it down since 2008.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/792024011291013124

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

What every argument about the Process being a mistake seems to miss is that the Sixers were the epitome of mediocrity and the business as usual practices that detractors are favoring. They were also on the cusp putting on a really terrible product featuring a broken Jrue Holiday (which I guess they were aware of) and Evan Turner and virtually zero chance at being even an Eastern Conference contender for a long time.

At the very least, this process has given them at least an outside shot at superstars and a chance at being contenders. As things stand, it seems pretty likely that at worst, they'll either return to some form of mediocrity with the likes of Embiid, Saric, Simmons, etc. Maybe they won't win the title, but if they could at least reach that permanent "threat" status that teams like the Clippers or the Dirk Mavs for most of the past two decades reached (counting all the years they didn't reach the Finals), it'd at least be a satisfying ride for a starving fanbase.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This was just decent until the end then it was amazing

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i just watched last nights spurs game, and let me say: dave joeger is amazing. what he got out of that kings team is drat impressive. i wish him and them all the luck in the world.

also i'm glad the spurs won, and kawhi is the front runner for mvp as of 2 games. 80 more to go.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

roundmidnight posted:

I tried to only focus on people who have actually played!

It would be disingenuous to leave out what at the time is one of their biggest assets from that discussion

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Fast Luck posted:

He only did one on-court workout for NBA teams before the draft but Hinkie went several times to Spain to see him, and I heard the Sixers had seen more of King Zing than any other franchise
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150613_Sixers__taking_a_closer_look_at_European_star.html
http://www.phillyvoice.com/reports-sixers-ownership-pressured-sam-hinkie-take-jahlil-okafor-over-kristaps-porzingis/

This is the story I was going off of:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-unlikely-story-of-how-kristaps-porzingis-found-his-way-to-the-knicks-072828935.html

quote:

Whatever happened, Miller didn't make it easy for Philadelphia to draft Porzingis at No. 3. The Sixers wouldn't be afforded Porzingis' physical, nor get a private workout, nor even a face-to-face meeting. After most of the pro day executives cleared out of the gym in Vegas in mid-June, 76ers general manager Sam Hinkie lingered to meet with Miller. Hinkie stopped him in the lobby area and asked Miller about a chance to sit down and visit with Porzingis.

"You said that I would get a meeting with him here," Hinkie told Miller.

"I said, 'I'd try,' and it's not going to work out, Sam," Miller responded.

An awkward silence lingered, the GM and agent, standing and staring. The Porzingis camp wanted no part of the Sixers' situation at No 3. Miller couldn't stop Philadelphia from drafting Porzingis, but he could limit the information they had to make a decision. And did. No physical. No meeting. No workout. The Sixers passed on Porzingis on draft night, clearing the way for the Knicks to select him.

Of course, Woj may have been playing politics by framing the story the way he did it. Just interesting that there are two dissenting stories.

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Hinkie also had been over to Europe twice to see Zing before anyone else.

That doesn't say one thing about Hinkie wanting Porzingis over Okafor "by far."

Props Department
Jul 10, 2007

creamed corn & confucius
This ties into something I've been thinking about lately. Do you think that basketball media downplays the importance of agent/front office relationships in evaluating signings and transactions? Like we heard that agents hated Hinkie for depressing players' value and his infamous 4-year minimum contracts, and that Dan Fegan had a lot of sway over Dallas's management for the last few years. Are there other storylines like this we're missing out on, or do reporters shy away from talking about player representation because it's just not that interesting?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

iamsosmrt posted:

What every argument about the Process being a mistake seems to miss is that the Sixers were the epitome of mediocrity and the business as usual practices that detractors are favoring. They were also on the cusp putting on a really terrible product featuring a broken Jrue Holiday (which I guess they were aware of) and Evan Turner and virtually zero chance at being even an Eastern Conference contender for a long time.

At the very least, this process has given them at least an outside shot at superstars and a chance at being contenders. As things stand, it seems pretty likely that at worst, they'll either return to some form of mediocrity with the likes of Embiid, Saric, Simmons, etc. Maybe they won't win the title, but if they could at least reach that permanent "threat" status that teams like the Clippers or the Dirk Mavs for most of the past two decades reached (counting all the years they didn't reach the Finals), it'd at least be a satisfying ride for a starving fanbase.

I agree 100%. Not even the most win now of GMs would've done anything other than go into full out tank mode.

And most of Hinkie's decisions were good ones. Noel is about the 6th best player of the 2013 draft class. MCW didn't work out but he was considered a good pick at the time and was flipped for the Lakers 1st. Embiid was the right pick. Payton looks good for Orlando but they got a pretty promising player in Saric and a 2017 1st for him. Okafor was the consensus pick and has the potential to be a better Enes Kanter. And Ben Simmons was the consensus pick as well.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Watched that DWade mean mug like 85 times, that's a KG caliber mug.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

nachos posted:

Everyone here knew he was shook years ago when he got that tattoo on his chest or wherever that was entirely covered by a jersey

He's shakier than the hand of the tattoo artist that spelled mature "mautre"

Do we get like a week off of Bulls fan anger from the win last night?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Losing 7A_NBA was a greater blow than I realized.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Some good content for people hungry for more Embiid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFQO-yPHl70&t=1350s

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

Losing 7A_NBA was a greater blow than I realized.

https://medium.com/perspective-7a

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Oh my God

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Props Department posted:

This ties into something I've been thinking about lately. Do you think that basketball media downplays the importance of agent/front office relationships in evaluating signings and transactions? Like we heard that agents hated Hinkie for depressing players' value and his infamous 4-year minimum contracts, and that Dan Fegan had a lot of sway over Dallas's management for the last few years. Are there other storylines like this we're missing out on, or do reporters shy away from talking about player representation because it's just not that interesting?

Honestly, it's probably because the agents are the ones leaking the stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

thank you

• Locked thread