Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Aren't Nintendo actually the least expensive of the big 3 as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Iceclaw posted:

Aren't Nintendo actually the least expensive of the big 3 as well?

The Wii U was actually pretty pricy when it came out. This was largely because of the gamepad.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My last console was a PS2. I finally saved up enough money to get one and play Jak & Daxter, FFVIII and a couple other games that escape me right now. I had so much fun on that console. It got stolen after moving house and i had to go buy one again, which sucked balls. Thankfully, they were cheaper around then. The fact that they made the PS3 with backwards compatibility and then took that poo poo AWAY, a couple months after release, still confuses the ever loving poo poo out of me.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Irate Tree posted:

My last console was a PS2. I finally saved up enough money to get one and play Jak & Daxter, FFVIII and a couple other games that escape me right now. I had so much fun on that console. It got stolen after moving house and i had to go buy one again, which sucked balls. Thankfully, they were cheaper around then. The fact that they made the PS3 with backwards compatibility and then took that poo poo AWAY, a couple months after release, still confuses the ever loving poo poo out of me.

The PS3 thing wouldn't be an issue if they didn't use the crappiest solder in the universe so the original backward compatible ones only lasted something like 2 years.
I'll have to see if there is an easy way of extracting the PS2 ROM and just start emulating the games.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Nintendo Is Bad megachat throwdown

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Nintendo is good

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Moola posted:

Nintendo is good

Same

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nintendo is well-intentioned and sorta bumbling in their execution, but their bad decisions ultimately are the result of adorably misguided attempts by a non-Western company to understand the Western market. Ultimately they make a really good and polished product that simultaneously manages to be both ahead of and far behind the curve.

GW is just bad.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nintendo made a massive mistake letting the DS be region free because it led to it being the most pirated system of all time. They've been way better on the internet front lately, but I can't really blame a company for wanting people to actually pay money for their products.

Barely related, but remember when a game company made a software development simulator, and then seeded a modded version where you always lost because people pirated your games? So all the people who pirated their game ended up with a version where they lost for the exact same reason. That was some grade A market trolling right there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah game developer tycoon was funny in that implementation. The best part were the people who didn't get it asking for help on various forums.

As for Nintendo, the region locking was awful. It would've been nice to be able to pick up one of the Japanese Pokémon center 3ds versions and catch my American pokes in it but they wouldn't allow that. 😡 The poke center versions were really beautiful too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CALIXIAN INFANTRYMAN'S PORTABLE COMMUNICATIONS TRANSCRIPTION DEVICE

While the construction of the Calixian Infantryman's Portable Communications Transcription Device varies greatly from planet to planet, its function is vital. Every Guardsman tithed from a world within the Calixis Sector is expected to have a rudimentary understanding of its operating procedures so that he may communicate when Vox-operators are not available.

Typically a gripped cylinder with a reservoir of staining liquid, the device has also been manufactured successfully on primitive worlds such as Iocanthos using soft breaking metal or fissionable residue encased in a strain resistant substance, usually milled on site. When a staining liquid is used, it can be manufactured from a variety of substances found throughout the Calixis Sector including, but not limited to, flora/fauna compression, animal excretion harvesting, or synthetic means. This source can often affect the hue of the staining liquid.

The "por-com" as many Scintillan regiments have come to call it, is typically issued with locally rendered Calixian Infantryman's Portable Communications Notation Devices. These can be harvested from fauna rendering processes or created synthetically.

A Poor Craftsmanship Calixian Infantryman's Portable Communications Transcription Device is unreliable. Whenever a Guardsman wishes to make use of one, he must roll 1d10; on a 1 or 2, the device fails to function. An Ordinary (+10) Tech-Use Test will allow the Guardsman to perform the Drusian Litany of Gesticulation, calling on the power of Saint Drusus to restore the device to working order.

A Best Craftsmanship Calixian Infantryman's Portable Communications Transcription Device functions even in locations without gravity and has multiple reservoirs that hold different pigments of staining liquid.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's honestly one of the best equipment entries in the book, and it's even better when your players don't get it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ashcans posted:

That's honestly one of the best equipment entries in the book, and it's even better when your players don't get it.

It's fantastic.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
haha that's good

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Does some of it's parts give a bonus to First Aid in case of asphyxia?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xarbala posted:

A Best Craftsmanship Calixian Infantryman's Portable Communications Transcription Device functions even in locations without gravity and has multiple reservoirs that hold different pigments of staining liquid.
Bullshit. There's no space pen that has different colors.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Chill la Chill posted:

Bullshit. There's no space pen that has different colors.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Hey! Don't disclose pics of my sextoy without asking me first!

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

pictured: a bolter round

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Irate Tree posted:

I also put my console career on hiatus after the PS2. Then I got myself a New 3DS because I saw the light that is Monster Hunter.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

LordAba posted:

I'll have to see if there is an easy way of extracting the PS2 ROM and just start emulating the games.

If you want to go the extra mile, there's some really silly poo poo you can do using a PS2, your PC, and an ethernet cable. That guide is pretty old and might not even work on Win8/10 though, and at this point emulating is much better for PS2 games, but hey--if your PC is behind the curve and you have the equipment, it might be fun to try out.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I like how GW's "Made to Order" figures are 100% sold out. They're not really "made to order" then, are they??

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-U...catnewexclusive

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I like how GW's "Made to Order" figures are 100% sold out. They're not really "made to order" then, are they??

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-U...catnewexclusive

They explained when they introduced it that they're processing them in batches, its not a continuous service. You missed out on the first run, wait for the second one.

Made to order just means they're not stock in a warehouse, you order them before they're made. I think its pretty reasonable since the whole caveat here is these are old/rare models not popular enough to do full runs of. The alternative is just not offering them like they used to.

First order should be shipping in a couple weeks, then they everything will be 'in stock' again, aka "available for order". Its just a quirk of the phrasing of their website, relax.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I didn't "miss" anything since I have no intention of buying GW products. I just thought it was a pretty stupid system; just let people order whenever and have a caveat that it might take a few weeks on production, especially if you bought them just after they did a production run. The fact that they seem to be going out of their way to make it harder for people to give them money is just hilarious.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GW slowly gets into the GMT P500 manufacturing process. Fitting for a game going the way of the grognard.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

LordAba posted:

The PS3 thing wouldn't be an issue if they didn't use the crappiest solder in the universe so the original backward compatible ones only lasted something like 2 years.

PCSX2 can just read PS2 discs from your drive IIRC.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Heck, if they were really worried about the cost of making a single cast of a particular mold, they could do like Gustin and only charge people once X number of orders have been made, thus ensuring that they can always produce in batches of 100 (or whatever number they want).

But I guess they'd have to spend another 4 million pounds on their website to allow for such a complex interface.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I didn't "miss" anything since I have no intention of buying GW products. I just thought it was a pretty stupid system; just let people order whenever and have a caveat that it might take a few weeks on production, especially if you bought them just after they did a production run. The fact that they seem to be going out of their way to make it harder for people to give them money is just hilarious.

I'd honestly rather they do batches than take infinite pre-orders and build up some crazy 6-month wait schedule.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Heck, if they were really worried about the cost of making a single cast of a particular mold, they could do like Gustin and only charge people once X number of orders have been made, thus ensuring that they can always produce in batches of 100 (or whatever number they want).

But I guess they'd have to spend another 4 million pounds on their website to allow for such a complex interface.

Its not about the molds, its about the casting time. They don't want to build up a huge order backlog, that's a good thing? It makes it more transparent.

They're committing to shipping orders under a month after they take them. I really like that.

Lots to hate on GW about, this seems reasonable?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Four hundred and ninety-nine Kaskrkins preordered....just one more.....

*GW releases a new IG codex that now make the Tallarns the favored child*

:negative:

Zaphod42 posted:

They're committing to shipping orders under a month after they take them. I really like that.

Lots to hate on GW about, this seems reasonable?
There is literally no way for me to add this to a cart for "preordering." https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Cadian-Kasrkin-2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Well, if they had a huge order backlog, maybe that's a sign that they should spend more time casting. A huge order backlog means they have a huge number of orders, which means a huge amount of money from these kits. Per a previous iteration of this thread, GW already does just-in-time production (i.e. their warehouses are comparatively small), so they should be able to handle going one step further to full-on made-to-order.

Even if they literally don't have enough molds to produce at the speed they'd need (unlikely once they get past the initial flood of people who've wanted these guys for a long time), their system is lovely. If I said to myself today, "Boy I'm feeling stupid I should buy some Kasrkin," being able to order them now versus whenever they decide to take orders again wouldn't affect the date I receive my space dollies, since my order doesn't meaningfully affect the production schedule. All it does is make it easier for me to not buy them, either by coming to my senses or by simply forgetting.

Hell, they don't even have a "notify me when this product is available again" button!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

There is literally no way for me to add this to a cart for "preordering." https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Cadian-Kasrkin-2016

I know, that's what I just said? That's the whole point.

You edited out lines of my post saying exactly that. What :psyduck:

Avenging Dentist posted:

Even if they literally don't have enough molds to produce at the speed they'd need (unlikely once they get past the initial flood of people who've wanted these guys for a long time), their system is lovely. If I said to myself today, "Boy I'm feeling stupid I should buy some Kasrkin," being able to order them now versus whenever they decide to take orders again wouldn't affect the date I receive my space dollies, since my order doesn't meaningfully affect the production schedule. All it does is make it easier for me to not buy them, either by coming to my senses or by simply forgetting.

So now you're giving GW poo poo for not being as greedy as possible? :signings: Isn't that the opposite of what we usually hate on them for?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

... no?

I don't think anyone in this thread is mad that GW sells products in exchange for money. They're mad that GW sells bad products (and does other bad things like sue people for saying "Space Marine"). Making it hard to buy their products is good in the sense that it might hasten their demise, but that's really just a philosophy of accelerationism.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Hex and chit game companies have better preorder systems to release things that will be limited in appeal it seems.

Well before they joined everyone else in hobby gaming who all seem to make everything a Kickstarter. Even when previous releases succeeded showing they don't need to do it any more. (Mantic and Reaper are really bad for this. 4 Bones Kickstarters now. You would think when 1-3 made it 4 miiight be a bit of a no brainer and not need to join the pre order program pretending to be something else?)

At this point I really wish Tabletop Gaming News had a way to filter out any crowdfunding news so I could just keep up with poo poo that is actually coming out in a short timeframe and not e begging for things that will inevitably be 4 months to 4 years delayed and usually fail at retail and be mega clearanced online. :negative:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zaphod42 posted:

I know, that's what I just said? That's the whole point.

You edited out lines of my post saying exactly that. What :psyduck:

Because this is a lovely system compared to P500.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

GW slowly gets into the GMT P500 manufacturing process. Fitting for a game going the way of the grognard.

GW wishes they were half as good as the quasi-amateurs at GMT

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is Dungeon Saga good?

is it anything like Descent?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's been a while but I recall it was more random than Descent/ImpAss. It has a lot of cute chibi figures though!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Moola posted:

is Dungeon Saga good?

Dungeon saga is meh as gently caress. It's warhammer quest but not quite as good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Moola posted:

is Dungeon Saga good?

I went whole hog for dungeon saga and I'm disappointed.

The rules function and the models are fine and the tiles are good. The tile clips are not only crap, they actually damage the tiles, so don't get them, but they're pretty unnecessary anyway. The dungeon furniture is really really nice, and could be used as cool indoor terrain pieces with some other better game very easily.

The main problem with the rules is that the base box that comes with the basic intro rules and an intro campaign, expects and requires you to play with exactly five players, no more no less. If you have four you can't do the scenarios unless like, one person plays two guys or something. Secondarily, the game is designed to play quickly, and the way they do this is put the players under a turn limit. E.g., a scenario says (effectively, it works via cards the bad guy player draws) you have 12 turns to win and if you don't finish the objective by then, you auto-lose. This sounded OK on paper but in practice it sucks rear end. It punishes you for stopping to kill monsters instead of running past them, and this is a board game about killing monsters!

There are some other problems too. The "full advanced" whatever rules literally repeat the basic rules, as in, they look like an exact copy, except extra stuff is edited in... this makes it very weird trying to learn the full game, because your brain says "I already read this" but no, you need to read it again because now it's a little different. The full rules include character creation which is reportedly pretty unbalanced, too.

And, the fluff writing is embarrasingly bad. Like, I tried to start reading out the intro scenario fluff to my buddies and I had to stop because it was so utterly garbage. It's the most blandly derivitive setting with absolutely nothing whatsoever to make it stand out, it might as well be called GENERIC DUNGEON FANTASY, and what's more, it's got incredibly dumb dialogue and clunky writing and just, ugh.

But all that said: the game functions, it's playable. If you have exactly four friends, you can have a good time with it. The models are decent and very well priced for what you get. Once you're out of the basic intro quest, you can probably play with like four people instead of five. You don't always have to have the same person playing as the bad guy controller - each quest stands on its own, so you can swap characters around and take turns being the baddie for successive quests, which I think is a really good innovation.

Apparently the freshly kickstarted science fiction version of Dungeon Saga is based on the same rules, but Mantic listened to some complaints and allegedly has updated the rules to address them. So possibly once those rules are available you could back-port them to Dungeon Saga and have a better game? Even without that, a reasonably careful person could work with the components and the basic framework of the rules (which are fine) and make some rules fixes to make it a much better game.

And if you just went whole hog like me and bought the game and a bunch of expansions, you got a pile of minis that works as the core units for like five different Kings of War armies. You could probably just use these minis and nothing else and put together a couple of armies to fight with, if you were willing to proxy a few things. They're based wrongly for Kings of War, but rebasing would be trivial. They're made of slightly bendy boardgame component plastic, not hard nice minis plastic that you might be used to, but the detail is reasonably good and you can do the hot water trick to straighten swords and stuff if needed.

All told I regret my purchase, but mostly because my board game group dissolved and I've also got a full blown Conan boardgame kickstarter haul arriving within the next two weeks and it's abundantly obvious that the Conan game is a much, much better game. I should have just dipped in a toe for dungeon saga so I wouldn't have committed as much to it, and I really really wish it'd been clear up-front that it's not a 2-5 player game out-of-the-box, it's an exactly-5-player-game.

e. It's way way better than Talisman and I'd argue better than Warhammer Quest as well, because both of those games fail in a very important way that Dungeon Saga doesn't; random outcomes. Talisman is a game where if you roll wrong early on you're hosed permanently, and warhammer quest similarly has too much random randomness. Dungeon Saga you do roll in combat and stuff but it feels a lot more like your decisions genuinely matter. As players you need to cooperate and there are synergies to be found for you to discuss and decide on. Some weird quirky poo poo aside, there's an actual working functioning game to be played, and if the most important problems were addressed, you'd have a pretty engaging mechanic to work with with reasonably good replayability.

Talisman and Warhammer Quest are both much more engaging in terms of fluff and character, but beneath the covers, they rely on basic mechanics that I don't think can be rescued with a few tweaks.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I went in big on DS too and everything Leperflesh said is right. Mantic announced with Star Saga that they're making a volunteer rules committee, which is what they used to great success with Kings of War. I get the feeling that Mantic rushes poo poo out so they have product, and then tighten it up later. It sucks if you're an early adopter, but eventually you'll get something cheap with good rules. If you're looking at Dungeon Saga, I would say wait or maybe get in on Star Saga, which should have better rules, and their sci-fi setting is waaaaay better than their fantasy one.

• Locked thread