Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

He made three NBA All Defensive teams guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He made three NBA All Defensive teams guys.
This seems like an aggressively poor measure to go by.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Time posted:

Does Declan still post? I guess we'll find out since Larry Bird's defense was just brought up

prepare the declan signal *shines an image of larry bird lying on his back during the olympics into the sky*

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Spring Break My Heart posted:

This seems like an aggressively poor measure to go by.

Not really. He wasn't Michael Cooper, but he was a very good defender.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Bird had a few seasons that were comparable and played much better defense than either one.

He only had seasons that were comparable if you ignore every single advanced stat and several counting stats.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

LeBron has a good sense of humor

https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/793107069398286337

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Papercut posted:

He only had seasons that were comparable if you ignore every single advanced stat and several counting stats.

Averaging 30/9/7 with 90%+ FT and 40+% from 3 is pretty comparable unless you're going to nerd out.

And the most important thing?

Larry Bird never blew 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah Brolic should know better than to say things like "Modern"

Either say 3pt era or come up with something specific if you are talking about more recent seasons.

Post Bulls Jordan/1st lockout probably makes the most sense. I wonder if we can get that to catch on.
It's literally just to disqualify Wilt who has 10 better seasons himself

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Haha

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Did people argue about Jeremy Lin like this?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

straight up brolic posted:

In other news the Warriors are complaining to the media that teams are being too physical against them literally three games into the season

For real?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i saw this

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17933466/draymond-green-says-teams-trying-punk-warriors

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Thursday is the first OKC - GSW game. Get in

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

Kevin Durant picked up a technical foul in Friday's win over the New Orleans Pelicans when he shoved guard Lance Stephenson to the hardwood.

Did Lance blow in his ear?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Cool Buff Man posted:

It'll be so good.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

It's literally just to disqualify Wilt who has 10 better seasons himself

Probably not 10, but at least 3.

Though Curry's PER was right up there with Wilt's prime, which is loving mind blowing in itself.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Cool Buff Man posted:

This should be a nationally televised game

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ammanas posted:

This should be a nationally televised game

It's on TNT, fret not

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:rip: Cleveland Indians

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Probably not 10, but at least 3.

Though Curry's PER was right up there with Wilt's prime, which is loving mind blowing in itself.
but that's just because they weren't logging blocks or steals which would have sent his box score based stats through the roof

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Larry Bird is overrated in many circles but that lends him to be underrated here for some reason.

Curry had, easily, one of the best regular seasons post-Wilt of all time. That should not be a question. That doesn't mean he's better than Magic or Shaq or anything, but he had a In-The-Conversation best season ever.

You absolutely have to not count Wilt in these conversations, otherwise there is no reason to have these conversations.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

What about the only man to average a triple double, Mr. Triple Double himself?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

but that's just because they weren't logging blocks or steals which would have sent his box score based stats through the roof

Forgot about that. Though interestingly Kareem's PER doesn't jump when blocks and steals appear. And neither does Elvin Hayes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Forgot about that. Though interestingly Kareem's PER doesn't jump when blocks and steals appear. And neither does Elvin Hayes.

PER average-weighted-by-playtime is always 15, so adding blocks wouldn't make everyone go up, it's zero-sum. Since, by all accounts, Wilt was getting 3 or 4 times more blocks than anyone else not named Russell, his PER would have jumped more than Kareem, who was much closer to the average in those stats.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Did Lance blow in his ear?

Nope. Just had his arm wrapped around Durant's waist during an inbounds play.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

PER average-weighted-by-playtime is always 15, so adding blocks wouldn't make everyone go up, it's zero-sum. Since, by all accounts, Wilt was getting 3 or 4 times more blocks than anyone else not named Russell, his PER would have jumped more than Kareem, who was much closer to the average in those stats.

That's true. Though it's still a little surprising that it didn't impact Kareem's stats. Kareem had a similar block % to Shaq, which isn't bad but also isn't close to prime Robinson, Hakeem or Mutombo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Yeah Brolic should know better than to say things like "Modern"

Either say 3pt era or come up with something specific if you are talking about more recent seasons.

Post Bulls Jordan/1st lockout probably makes the most sense. I wonder if we can get that to catch on.

tanglewood1420 posted:

I think in years down the line Lebron going to Miami will be seen as the start of new era basketball. The Celtics and Lakers champions 2008-10 feel closer in spirit to the 90s blueprint than they do to basketball in 2016*. LeBron's Miami team and the Spurs around the same time kickstarted the trend to a motion based, 4 out offense paired with high intensity defence and switching that dominates league thinking now. Of course the Suns were playing that way on offense in like 2005, but I feel it was that 11/12 Miami team that truly mainstreamed it and started people copying it rather than just writing off the Nash Suns as an anomaly you couldn't replicate.

* that's probably not analytically true as I'm sure someone will prove shortly, but it feels that way to me, whatever that's worth.

I'd say the current era was at least indirectly started by the D'Antoni Suns teams. The era immediately before this one was shorter and maybe started when the hand checking rules changed.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
112 games for which Wilt's blocks are recorded.

In these 112 games, he averaged 8.8 blocks per game, and had 23 in one game. :pwn:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

OKC will be at the end of a back to back btw

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Criminal Minded posted:

In these 112 games, he averaged 8.8 blocks per game, and had 23 in one game. :pwn:

Honestly I would have guessed higher

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Not really. He wasn't Michael Cooper, but he was a very good defender.

He was a great rebounder for the position and good at getting steals but a really bad man defender that they went out of their way to hide.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 31, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

Someone (Zogo) estimate what Wilt's PER would've been in his 3 best seasons if they counted blocks and he averaged 8.8 a game for that time period.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Larry Bird was a poor man's David Lee on his best day

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Someone (Zogo) estimate what Wilt's PER would've been in his 3 best seasons if they counted blocks and he averaged 8.8 a game for that time period.

*looks up from mechanical calculator, eying printout tape*

I'm getting... 69.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/793178124708093952

Let's loving go!!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bulls-Nets, ONLY ONE LOPEZ LEAVES BROOKLYN ALIVE

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

21m a year for Victor Oladipo
That cat-like guy who misses layups?
What a world

If that's the "Should be good but isn't that good" sg price, I'm afraid KCP will be like 93m/4

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

How can you even pretend to be excited about that

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I expect Adams any minute now. Let's do this!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cool Buff Man posted:

I have had this date marked on my calendar for a while now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOQdyc7jphQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe