Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

humpthewind posted:

Gonna buy tickets to the Austin Spurs play the D-Fenders so I can cheer for Zubac really loudly.

if you're not joking let us know how it is, seems like it could be a fun thing to do

Tae posted:

The gently caress, how did Thibs get 4 years/64 million.

It would be funny if Thibs insane workaholism makes him the first good coach-GM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

chunkles posted:

prepare the declan signal *shines an image of larry bird lying on his back during the olympics into the sky*

LARRY BIRD IS A GOOD DEFENDER IF WE ONLY COUNT STEALS, REBOUNDS, AND ABANDONED CHILDREN AS OUR METRICS

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Is Steven Adams good

I mean, I would automatically say "He's not $25 million a year good" but this is a brave new world

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

tatankatonk posted:

Is Steven Adams good

I mean, I would automatically say "He's not $25 million a year good" but this is a brave new world

He's going to be a top 5 centre in this league for a while if he isn't one already.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Smellyhead posted:

He's going to be a top 5 centre in this league for a while if he isn't one already.

what

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I feel like "top 5" or "top 10" center in the NBA is a label that is tossed around without anyone attempting to count. Kind of like how people throw out "one of the best passing big men" label without attempting to compare to anyone else.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

I feel like "top 5" or "top 10" center in the NBA is a label that is tossed around without anyone attempting to count. Kind of like how people throw out "one of the best passing big men" label without attempting to compare to anyone else.

Also only trotted out when someone wants to eliminate all of the 7' power forwards who definitely should not be compared to 7' centers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shear Modulus posted:

Even if he didn't inherit a 17-win team, he was such a high-profile hire and "get" that the honeymoon period would hopefully last at least a year, but then again I don't know the pulse of Lakers fans.

When the Pels got Gentry fresh off the Warriors championship with him as lead assistant, the honeymoon period was over after the first ten games.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

What does Steven Adams do really well? I don't mean to be snide, it's just that i've always thought his game is so workmanlike that he just kind of fades into the background until somebody like zach lowe points out that he does X unusually well

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

tatankatonk posted:

What does Steven Adams do really well? I don't mean to be snide, it's just that i've always thought his game is so workmanlike that he just kind of fades into the background until somebody like zach lowe points out that he does X unusually well

He's really good at being big and using his bigness to be effective on defense around the rim. On offense, he can be relied on to finish dump-off passes and maybe hit some 8 ft jumpers occasionally. IIRC, he also sets effective screens.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

tatankatonk posted:

Danny Chau wrote a good article last week.

https://theringer.com/steven-adams-new-oklahoma-city-thunder-star-nba-436156b161b7#.pox8zcwan

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Only like ten big men are good at passing and none of them except for Diaw and Gasol compare to the gold standard of Chris Webber/KG so idk man

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kibner posted:

He's really good at being big and using his bigness to be effective on defense around the rim. On offense, he can be relied on to finish dump-off passes and maybe hit some 8 ft jumpers occasionally. IIRC, he also sets effective screens.

Plus his interview game is first team all-NBA level

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

This article has him top 8 and it appeared on the nba.com so it must be true! I actually have him ahead of a few of the others in the top 5 on that list, but I could be higher on him based mostly on the fact that he is an awesome Kiwi.
http://www.nba.com/article/2016/10/21/fran-blinebury-ranks-top-centers-2016-17-nba-season

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Smellyhead posted:

well he isn't one already i can tell you that much e: also here's my current list in order

Hassan Whiteside
Al Horford
Marc Gasol if he is healthy and keeps shooting and making threes
Rudy Gobert
Deandre Jordan
Karl Tony
DMC
Dwight

then Adams?

this is just from memory though, so I might be missing people

Declan MacManus posted:

Only like ten big men are good at passing and none of them except for Diaw and Gasol compare to the gold standard of Chris Webber/KG so idk man
Blake Griffin is p dang good at passing

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 31, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

He's the centerpiece of my all-NBA competitive eating team

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

well he isn't one already i can tell you that much

Blake Griffin is p dang good at passing

I always forget how good he is at passing, why doesn't anyone talk about it like they did Kevin Love's ~*~*~*outlet passes~*~*~*~*~

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

tatankatonk posted:

His positioning and footwork are good and his passing is evolving. Plus he's 7 foot tall and you can't teach that

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

chunkles posted:

He's the centerpiece of my all-NBA competitive eating team

C: Adams
PF: Sullinger
SF: Diaw
SG: ???
PG: Lin (using the Kobayashi technique)

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

I always forget how good he is at passing, why doesn't anyone talk about it like they did Kevin Love's ~*~*~*outlet passes~*~*~*~*~
Because he's an excellent half court passer as a ball handler in a way that's kind of generic/natural. It's the same thing as KG. You take it for granted and then remember that 90% of bigs can't dribble and throw a wrap around pass to the corner. People only care about big man passing if they're an elbow pivot type or an outlet type or have some spectacular ability.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Plus he's 7 foot tall and you can't teach that
um watch gattaca dickhead

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Declan MacManus posted:

Half the reason Kevin Love's outlet passing became a running joke here is that was listed as a reason why he was drafted. (and that reason made Gendo very angry.) The other half is they are sweet outlet passes.

We probably don't talk about Griffin's passing as much because he basically didn't play last season. due to beating up a trainer and then causing that guy to lose his dream job

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:wow:

Hello police? Yes I would like to report a robbery in downtown Minneapolis thank you.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

tatankatonk posted:

100m and he can't guard Embiid so there's that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gorgui Dieng has the same AAV after this year as Mozgov :v:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

His positioning and footwork are good and his passing is evolving. Plus he's 7 foot tall and you can't teach that

Actually you can, but you have to start when they are babies

quote:

A minister as well as a medical doctor, he quickly realized that taller players had an advantage in basketball and wondered if there was a way to stretch babies to make them grow taller. Naismith actually conducted experiments on a machine he invented.
In 1907, he said his theory was that “the body is more or less elastic” and that “by stretching the body 30 minutes a day for six months, it will lengthen two inches.” He thought the best time to stretch individuals was from 5 months to a year old. He was worried that an individual might grow too quickly, and there would be no way to stop it from happening.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Jokic is one of the best passing young big men -

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Bird had a few seasons that were comparable and played much better defense than either one.

If you put 2016 Curry and his shooting into the 1980s NBA his team might go 80-2 and sportscasters, gov't agencies would be saying he was an alien or a USSR biogenetic experiment that escaped the lab.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Curry had an excellent season and is an amazing player. my point (not joking in the slightest) is that Irving had a better series than Curry by every metric.

There are a ton of metrics. Curry was better in a lot of them than Kyrie.

milk milk lemonade posted:

...I feel like seven games is pretty decisive.

Seven games is not much really. I wouldn't draw serious conclusions from anything less than twenty games.

Playoff series of 1, 3, 5 or 7 games (and 9 many years back) have been the pro sports standard in the US for so long that it's accepted.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Anthony Davis is not a top 5 center because he is a top 5 PF/C

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

chunkles posted:

if you're not joking let us know how it is, seems like it could be a fun thing to do

I went to three or four Austin Spurs games last year and had a blast. You can get a giant 32oz beer for 10 bucks and watch meaningless basketball. Worth the 15 dollar ticket imo.

Also if you go once they start emailing you about free tickets. Definitely worth it then. I just look at it like going to minor league baseball games. Get buzzed and heckle.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

positions are outdated, the only way to label basketball players, there are only alphas and non-alphas

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

taj gibson is a semi-alpha
doug mcdermott? alpha-adjacent
MCW: potential alpha

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

You absolutely have to not count Wilt in these conversations, otherwise there is no reason to have these conversations.

Wilt had bad FT shooting throughout his whole career. If he had average (or even below average) FT shooting he would've completely broken up the 1960s Celtics dynasty. But he had awful FT shooting so his teams lost a ton of close games with him shooting like DeAndre Jordan.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Someone (Zogo) estimate what Wilt's PER would've been in his 3 best seasons if they counted blocks and he averaged 8.8 a game for that time period.

There's no good way to do that as there's so many missing pieces to the modern PER formula when applied to the 1960s. Steals, turnovers, ORBs, DRBs are all missing from the individual and league level. The 1960s was the era of statistical inflation as teams were playing at a ridiculous pace as well. If we had exact data a lot of value stats would be deflated.

If we just magically added individual blocks and league blocks to the 1960s it's safe to assume his PER would go up.

PER = (1 / MP) * (3P + (2/3) * AST + (2 - (2/3) - (0.5 * (lg_AST / lg_FG)) / (2 * (lg_FG / lg_FT)) * (team_AST / team_FG)) * FG + (FT * 0.5 * (1 + (1 - (team_AST / team_FG)) + (2/3) * (team_AST / team_FG))) - lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * TOV - lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB * (FGA - FG) - lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * 0.44 * (0.44 + (0.56 * lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB)) * (FTA - FT) + lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * (1 - lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB) * (TRB - ORB) + lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB * ORB + lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * STL + lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB * BLK - PF * ((lg_FT / lg_PF) - 0.44 * (lg_FTA / lg_PF) * lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA))) * (lg_Pace / team_Pace) * (15 / lg_aPER)

lg_TOV and lg_ORB is all over the PER formula and we don't have those for the 1960s.

Now if you took a modern day elite player (who already was leading the league in PER) and gave him 700+ blocks in a season his PER would go up ~6-8 points.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Anthony Davis is not a top 5 center because he is a top 5 PF/C
On D he plays PF/C but on offense he plays 3/4 so I didnt think he was centery enough

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Zogo posted:

If you put 2016 Curry and his shooting into the 1980s NBA his team might go 80-2 and sportscasters, gov't agencies would be saying he was an alien or a USSR biogenetic experiment that escaped the lab.

Until someone like Rick Mahorn-esque mofo crushed him into Bolivia. I'm also not sure how well he'd handle the hand checking that he doesn't have to deal with today.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
$21m a year for Oladipo is just the Thunder's strategy to make $17m a year for Kanter seem reasonable.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

So the Thunder's locked up core is: Westbrook, Adams, Oladipo, Kanter? That, uh, doesn't seem like a contender

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

For sure, the Davis Brothers would have broken all of Curry's bones and put him into a t-shirt cannon, which would have also startled people because it hadn't been invented yet

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

WhyteRyce posted:

Dissect this

whos red ranger and obama?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i didn't know that i was waiting all of my life for Stacey King in the Three Alphas Era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

tatankatonk posted:

So the Thunder's locked up core is: Westbrook, Adams, Oladipo, Kanter? That, uh, doesn't seem like a contender

Plus Payne, Huestis and Sabonis on rookie contracts and Alex Abrines. Kanter though will probably opt out in summer 2018 as some team will pay him max/near-max to be their starter.

• Locked thread