Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
"You deal with a lot of contentious, socially-impaired people, right?"
*nod*
"They tend to cluster together, say, around a table, right?"
*nod*
"Take two of these and call me in the morning." :fedora:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Years ago, there was an offsite SA page where people made the best 40k webcomics. It was lost for a time, but I just looked it up on a whim after finding my old wargaming bag and it exists yet again.

Behold, grim dorkness: http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/grim_dorkness/4974416/

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Chill la Chill posted:

Years ago, there was an offsite SA page where people made the best 40k webcomics. It was lost for a time, but I just looked it up on a whim after finding my old wargaming bag and it exists yet again.

Behold, grim dorkness: http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/grim_dorkness/4974416/

oh man, i contributed to this. years ago. grim dorkness is a treasure.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I miss hf.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
The best part was when we started trolling the other webcomics on that site by making parodies of their terrible sprite comics.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I remember Misfire in like 2002-3 being funny but I think they got a cease and desist from GW.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Avenging Dentist posted:

The best part was when we started trolling the other webcomics on that site by making parodies of their terrible sprite comics.

Freem

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There was also a second part of the Grim Dorkness saga: http://grimdorkness.smackjeeves.com/comics/301581/gork-and-mork-are-cool-guys-1/

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Oh boy, I wonder what the author of this comic thinks of modern 40k :v:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been paying close attention but I just noticed that FFG is now putting out their own rank and file fantasy wargame after losing the GW license. It looks terrible, granted, but its still a nice response.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I remember when this was posted on a dakka thread that had some nicely painted really-not-nazis-I-swear-guys

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

I remember when this was posted on a dakka thread that had some nicely painted really-not-nazis-I-swear-guys

ein imperium, ein volk, ein emperor

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What is it with racists WWII enthusiasts being such competent painters?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

This needs to be a thing. There's already a precedent of a guy who put Madoka nendoroid heads on his Tau models. Make it happen, internet.

Four Score posted:

ein imperium, ein volk, ein emperor

That's Kaiser, thank you very much :colbert:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Indolent Bastard posted:

What is it with racists WWII enthusiasts being such competent painters?

the humiliation of not having the right green for german tanks in july 1942

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Doresh posted:

This needs to be a thing. There's already a precedent of a guy who put Madoka nendoroid heads on his Tau models. Make it happen, internet.

If nendoroids weren't so expensive, I totally would put a couple anime drivers on my x wangs. Even the cheap backpack clip-on versions they sell at B&N are $7.

...I think I could make a $7 sacrifice for one of my millenium falcons.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doresh posted:

*Imperator

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Chill la Chill posted:

If nendoroids weren't so expensive, I totally would put a couple anime drivers on my x wangs. Even the cheap backpack clip-on versions they sell at B&N are $7.

...I think I could make a $7 sacrifice for one of my millenium falcons.

The term "expensive" does not exist for a true follower of GW. There will come a time when it will be cheaper to make your Sisters of Battle 100% Nendoroid.

Drone posted:

*Imperator

That's too Latin. Nobody says Imperator in Germany, not even when talking about Roman emperors. Outside of maybe historical nerds, teachers and professors, the term is pretty much exclusively used to refer to the Emperor from Star Wars - and even he was called "Kaiser" in the dub of Episode IV before they figured out that "Imperator" sounds more science-fiction-y.

(And I know he's called Imperator in the German translations of 40k, but come on, "Gott-Kaiser der Menschheit" sounds cool)

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

Anyone want a 20% discount for Total Warhams? I have a code to spare (I used up the Grombindal one). And I didn't even give GW any money!

Did anyone take you up on this? Otherwise I'm interested. mandrake.mercury@gmail

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I haven't been paying close attention but I just noticed that FFG is now putting out their own rank and file fantasy wargame after losing the GW license. It looks terrible, granted, but its still a nice response.

You got the sequence of events backwards, man. FFG announced that game, and then the license agreement's termination was announced. That specific game is speculated to have been the straw that broke the camel's back w/r/t GW not wanting to let FFG continue to license their IP.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Also, that game looks legit.

Leperflesh posted:

You got the sequence of events backwards, man. FFG announced that game, and then the license agreement's termination was announced. That specific game is speculated to have been the straw that broke the camel's back w/r/t GW not wanting to let FFG continue to license their IP.

I think this could go either way, but would've been decided a while ago regardless. Remember all the rumors earlier this year about there being a big announcement between FFG and GW? They were true, of course, but for the longest time people were thinking it means that FFG was going to take over writing the rules for GW's miniature games. Hah. Turns out it was this.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 1, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Did anyone take you up on this? Otherwise I'm interested.

Nope, you're the first. Check your inbox!

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

S.J. posted:

Also, that game looks legit.

I think this could go either way, but would've been decided a while ago regardless. Remember all the rumors earlier this year about there being a big announcement between FFG and GW? They were true, of course, but for the longest time people were thinking it means that FFG was going to take over writing the rules for GW's miniature games. Hah. Turns out it was this.

To be fair, we don't know the rumors were about this one. If they were renegotiating the license and it initially looked promising, who knows what potentially exciting things might have been included had it worked out?

I think some of the half-done licensed FFG stuff speaks to this not being a super long time coming.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think the new FFG game looks neat. :saddowns: Good looking chunky rear end high fantasy miniatures combined with an X-Wing esque maneuver/movement system sounds nice to me, but I'm well aware I may be giving them too much benefit of the doubt due to my fondness of X-Wing and how well they've handled that. Here's hoping there's an equally solid set of rules underneath RuneWars.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Moola posted:

Guys what scale are the models in twilight creations Zombies!!! game?

can't tell if they're 15 or 25mm

They're a fat 1/72. If you're looking for figs to go with them they match reasonably well with some of the Caesar stuff pretty well (Caesar is usually a bit above 23mm, the Zombies figs are around 24mm). They're more in scale with metal 1/72 than plastics, but they'd look fine as long as you put your other figures on really tall bases because the Zombies!! figs are on extremely tall ones.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry, I am coming late to noticing it. Still funny either way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I think the new FFG game looks neat. :saddowns: Good looking chunky rear end high fantasy miniatures combined with an X-Wing esque maneuver/movement system sounds nice to me, but I'm well aware I may be giving them too much benefit of the doubt due to my fondness of X-Wing and how well they've handled that. Here's hoping there's an equally solid set of rules underneath RuneWars.

The people who played it at Gencon really seemed to love it.

I've got everything Runebound as well so I'm excited to play a tabletop wargame with the heroes that I recognise. And the factions that I know!

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh well thats good to hear. I just saw the chunky miniatures and kind of wrote it off. I'm not familiar at all with the RuneWar/Runebound stuff, is there anywhere they've laid out their plans/factions/etc?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The manuver system looks really good. The biggest problem (imho) with 40k and to a lesser extent WHFB was that there wasn't really any actual tactics - this has the potential for a lot of tactical depth.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm curious to see if this makes much of a splash next to Kings of War. It doesn't have the advantage of people really being able to use their own models and I don't think there are going to be a lot of factions at release.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I honestly think if anything is going to make a serious splash in the fantasy minis market it's if the rumored kickstarter for a third edition of Warlord and a Warlord Bones line ever materialize. Warlord is a game that's pretty much in scale with 5th ed and earlier WHFB, where most units were ten dudes and you played with maybe forty models total on the table. If all those minis (or at least just all the major troop choices) cost bones prices or had bones alternatives to the normal metal ones that could be a game that would get HUGE. It's been kicking around the rumor mill for a while now, so who knows if it's going to show up, I know around when AoS came out one of my local shops was talking to the rep from Reaper about ordering in books or minis for Warlord and if they had any kind of promo stuff to get the word out and the guy said something along the lines of "there's going to be big news regarding Warlord next year" but I have no idea what that meant.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well that would be neat so long as I could just the models I already have.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm curious to see if this makes much of a splash next to Kings of War. It doesn't have the advantage of people really being able to use their own models and I don't think there are going to be a lot of factions at release.

I expect six, which isn't bad. That said beyond the six I'm not sure where they can go!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Do not give GW money

Give possums money???

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

! DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY !

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That is not a possum skeleton. :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Moola, why must you turn this thread into a den of lies?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ashcans posted:

That is not a possum skeleton. :colbert:

"u fokkin wot m8?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Opossums do not have rat incisors, and nothing has ear bones on the outside.

I know you have face blindness for things with flesh on them, Moola, so this is what an opossum looks like.

The one above is a baby, and its distributed brain power is still developing, so it's probably about as smart as your typical forums poster or a labrador retriever.

Now this is an opossum that knows not to give money to Games Workshop. She's eligible to vote in the commonwealth of Virginia.

~*opossum facts*~

• Locked thread