Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dyna Soar posted:

and sabbath is played out

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua3XVFIwpkE

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

Sleep = the Phil Collins of doom.

ur trash m8

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

boxcarhobo posted:

ur trash m8

it hurts, don't it

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I never ever thought I'd see a doom fan say that a doom band is too loud

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nerve posted:

I never ever thought I'd see a doom fan say that a doom band is too loud

That's not what I said tho. It's not that a doom band can be too loud, it's that a lot of bands are nothing but loud.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 2, 2016

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
mods change thread title to 'sabbath only has 4 good albums' tia

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

DEAR RICHARD posted:

mods change thread title to 'sabbath only has 4 good albums' tia

I will puke

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
misty morning, clouds in the sky without warning, the wizard walks by
:qqsay:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

just bask in the sabbath variations imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZD88i15j8

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
biker doom rules supreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8C0R1HQdk

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

You may have some unorthodox doom opinions but you do always post good music itt.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
And tbh while I think that there are plenty of bands out there doing cool and interesting stuff, you may also have a point that the world probably doesn't need too many more bands playing rejected Sabbath riffs but louder and slower.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
The Obsessed own, but Spirit Caravan is my favorite wino band

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the loudest band I have ever seen was QOTSA when they played with NIN in Australia. Just totally too loud. like when you are too close to a cymbal crash and it just goes to noise and makes your ear tingle, but for an entire set.

I didnt have ear plugs because I forgot, but even friends that did and were sitting up in the stalls said it was too loud there too.

I was in the same spot for NIN before them and that was loud but not uncomfortably so. I think it was a sound board/engineer thing than anything else.

All the doom bands I have seen have been mostly in the same venue and the sound there is always excellent. Loud but not over powered, and with earplugs becomes very listenable.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sleep is pretty loud, I think Electric Wizard was a bit louder (maybe just by virtue of two guitars idk). Not doom but Swans was a bit louder than the Wiz, but again, lots of people making racket up there. I've never seen Sunn, but I've heard all the anecdotes about being forced into chairs/to the ground by the sound, etc. Swans at times can be on the cusp of that kind of oppressive feeling, but the rest not so much. At any rate, you gotta wear earplugs.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Swans is quite the experience. I've seen them twice in the last few years.
This guy on the left, Christoph Hahn, playing the lap steel. He can do so much with it, it can be so huge and menacing.

When I was looking for an image of him I came across this one from a college newspaper article coincidentally titled "Swans: loudest band on Earth".
http://coyotechronicle.net/swans-loudest-band-on-earth/

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Both Sleep and Swans were loving loud, but YOB made my sternum vibrate for hours after the show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The loudest band I ever saw was The Boredoms. They're loud as hell to begin with (9 simultaneous drummers when I saw them), but they also played at a tech school with a brand new state of the art venue with acoustics designed for no sound to escape. You could feel the sound rattling your guts through the whole show.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

The loudest band I ever saw was The Boredoms. They're loud as hell to begin with (9 simultaneous drummers when I saw them), but they also played at a tech school with a brand new state of the art venue with acoustics designed for no sound to escape. You could feel the sound rattling your guts through the whole show.

Iven seen em too and while i dont remember them being particulary loud, they sure were awesome.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dyna Soar posted:

Iven seen em too and while i dont remember them being particulary loud, they sure were awesome.

Same, they're definitely one of those bands that aren't doom musically but I think doom fans would be into. Like Swans or Bohren and such. There were actually lots of beardy metalheads at a recent Stars of the Lid show, which was incredible.

Then again I was with some friends at Boredoms who had seen them a few times and said they changed it up a lot, sometimes it's all guitars and strings, sometimes it's all crazy percussion, who knows.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The loudest bands I've seen are Boris, Melvins and, surprisingly enough, Death Grips.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Idioteque Dance posted:

Same, they're definitely one of those bands that aren't doom musically but I think doom fans would be into. Like Swans or Bohren and such. There were actually lots of beardy metalheads at a recent Stars of the Lid show, which was incredible.

Then again I was with some friends at Boredoms who had seen them a few times and said they changed it up a lot, sometimes it's all guitars and strings, sometimes it's all crazy percussion, who knows.

Does anyone have good Boredoms recs? I've heard them praised a lot but I bought Chocolate Synthesizer and couldn't get into it at all. Or are they one of those bands who you just need to see live?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

Does anyone have good Boredoms recs? I've heard them praised a lot but I bought Chocolate Synthesizer and couldn't get into it at all. Or are they one of those bands who you just need to see live?

Super Ae and Vision Creation Newsun. That said they are a sight to behold live, multiple drummers and all sorts of self made instruments, including some sorta movement sensitive plastic balls the singer holds in his hands while dancing that are hooked to some sorta sampler. And a big 8-stringed percussive instrument made from 2x4's that he hits with a stick and sounds like a giant guitar.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 3, 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Showed up in the mail today. Ordered it upon release and actually forgot I had.
Didn't realise it was clear. Awesome design!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sludge Tank posted:

That is awesome looking. Is it one sided with the pattern etched on side B or is the pattern like a picture disc insert or?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
drat that's sharp as hell

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

This is some voodoo record handholding poo poo right here.

e: what is perspective

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

taqueso posted:

That is awesome looking. Is it one sided with the pattern etched on side B or is the pattern like a picture disc insert or?

It's one sided record. Pattern etched on B side. I own a few records and this is definitely the coolest looking one I've got.

The sleeve design is really sweet as well. Album cover but the 'jacket' is the circle cutout and the innards is the face design of the face. Very well designed all over. Straight to the pool room.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've got to get this off my chest, I'm sorry. I really liked the first Pallbearer album. The second one was not really my thing and then a couple months ago I saw them live as I've been wanting to for quite a while. I left after about 3 songs. Their stage presence (mostly the bass player) is just so off putting. I felt like I was watching some bullshit band like Good Charlotte or something. I tried hard to like it, downed some drinks and closed my eyes but still...I had to leave. It was the most packed I'd seen a "doom" at this venue. My friend had a blast.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm a bit of a newcomer to them to be honest, and probably the genre in general but I've been a big metalhead for 15 years or so. Mostly death/black/etc

I saw them last year at a winter "dark arts festival' with The Body here and I'd never heard of them before. (Pretty rare to get these kind of acts down here in Tasmania)

I was blown away but I'd never seen anything like it before. My friend who was at the gig with me saw Sunn 0))) and Earth the year before and said he thought the Pallbearer gig was better even though it wasn't "as loud"

ANyway I Was deeply impressed. I much prefer the second album probably more for the mastering than anything else. The first album is also awesome but dpooesnt quite have the epic 'big' sound that Foundations does.. This third EP is a little bit of a let down but I still do enjoy it. I'm looking forward to the next album and hold high hopes for it.

I know what you're saying about the bass player, he was definitely 'hamming it up' but whatever, I probably would too in that situation. I'm just happy to support good music that I enjoy from young dudes who seem to enjoy what they're doing. I'm pretty new to this genre so I'm just feeling my way around. I just like it. :smith:

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 3, 2016

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Oh hey, Sorry Sludge Tank, I didn't mean to call you out specifically. Pallbearer gets lots of love and it's just one of those weird situations where I feel out of step and I felt like mentioning it. I've been biting my tongue since I saw them a few months ago but today is the day that I thought it was a good idea to tell people on the internet about my feelings. I don't mean to rain on your parade and I'm sorry because that's basically what I've done, that record looks awesome though :)
I used to be really stoked on them but now I have weird feelings.

In other news I'm stoked that the new Asteroid album we be out in about a week, it's getting solid reviews. https://fuzzoramarecords1.bandcamp.com/album/iii

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 3, 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
All good mane. Everyone has different tastes. I do actually see where you're coming from, too. I'm really stoked on this thread and you guys have all posted some sick music that I thoroughly enjoy and would never otherwise stumble upon (seriously Bongripper is my new loving favourite band of all time holy poo poo). I wish I knew about all this poo poo back in the days when I was actually a stoner kid. All I had back then was Cannibal Corpse and Slipknot and Metal Hammer magazine. Pretty isolated down here. Didn't realise this scene was so massive and diverse.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 3, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The first song on the first Pallbearer album is pretty good, with a nice vocal performance. It kind of reminds me of Albert Witchfinder in parts. I haven't heard another song by them that held my interest. I haven't seen them live but it sure seems to me like they are mostly hype.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sludge Tank posted:

All good mane. Everyone has different tastes. I do actually see where you're coming from, too. I'm really stoked on this thread and you guys have all posted some sick music that I thoroughly enjoy and would never otherwise stumble upon (seriously Bongripper is my new loving favourite band of all time holy poo poo). I wish I knew about all this poo poo back in the days when I was actually a stoner kid. All I had back then was Cannibal Corpse and Slipknot and Metal Hammer magazine. Pretty isolated down here. Didn't realise this scene was so massive and diverse.

This thread is awesome. I wandered into here a few years ago not knowing that this was my poo poo. I had previously pigeon-holed myself into primarily listening to death metal and grindcore bands and I didn't realize there was so much more awesome heavy and groovy music around.

edit: I wondered how to spell "wandered".

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 3, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I saw Pallbearer on the Decibel tour a year or two ago and was also really unimpressed. They've got a couple of riffs or bits of songs I enjoy but yeah I mostly don't get the hype either. To each his own though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Their vox are so loving whiny. Sounds like backstreet boys or something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pallbearer's stage presence is completely standard. What are you talking about?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pallbearer's stage presence is completely standard. What are you talking about?

I didn't see anything wrong with their stage presence either. In fact they were pretty good live, great sound and the vox were rawer which made them tolerable. They played too long, about an hour when they only had around 30 minutes worth of worthwhile material and the rest was just more of the same.

This was just after their first album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
To clarify, when I saw them I couldn't really get into the music though they sounded great. The cherry on top was the bass player's dumb haircut and stupid faces. You know that joke about guitarists who makes faces like they just did an unbelievable magic trick when they play something, it's that kind of thing that got to me.

I imagine he would be more tolerable with long hair in his face like I'm seeing in older videos but when I saw them he had the long bangs but everything else buzzed short haircut...like Justin Bieber/old Tony Hawk.
I don't pretend this is a valid criticism or complaint. It's just a thing that made it hard for me personally to watch them. I went there with the hopes that they would kick my rear end but alas I left early.