Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Clocks posted:

How the gently caress is love his motivation if he is literally scalping Dolores? Whatever he did we are at least meant to think it was terrible because she uses that flashback as strength to pull the trigger on the bandit. (And we see him about to scalp Maeve, nevermind the other "atrocities" he's committed.)

That's one thing I don't get about MiB = William, what they're shown doing just doesn't match up.

If we're doing the big dumb MiB = William thing they'll probably have it so Dolores goes dead-eyed and does something terrible or cold 30 years ago that reveals her as Just a Robot, that or they fail and she gets wiped so either way he gets super bitter about it and just wants to get to the Maze and destroy the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Paperback Writer posted:

so what is your guys' explanation of why Dolores is hearing the voices and acting strangely with William when it showed she first starting showing these signs in the "present timeline"

I think that most people would say that she had previously heard voices but that the new update allowed her to hear them again after 30 years.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

KoRMaK posted:

Like what?

Seeing her leave the farmhouse in the present time after shooting Rebus (interesting name), showing up at Williams camp (30 years in the past?), seeing QA recall her because she has gone off her track (present), and seeing being grabbed by the officer to try and take her back (30 years in the past?) while saying that her father died (something we would have not have seen in a 30 year ago timeframe).

This sequence seems to flow together best if this was all in the present and to have it all be in the past would mean that the editing (and not creative writing) were the cause for everyone thinking that she is in the present the entire time. A lot of people have said that would cheapen the show for them.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Junkfist posted:

lol if he's on the Board of Directors and the majority shareholder he could walk into the labs and stick his dick in the milk vats screaming "Dolores I love you" what are they gonna do?

If that was the case management et al would just do whatever the gently caress they wanted irregardless of Ford. They don't.

Also Ford was the one who called Arnold's coding beneath all of his updates a walled garden. It seems to quite heavily imply that even Ford doesn't know how to access it. So they cant just roll the host back to the secrets which the MiB wants to find.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I think that most people would say that she had previously heard voices but that the new update allowed her to hear them again after 30 years.

This. Fords updates since Arnolds death had stopped the voices or at least better controlled them. The whole fly / Bernards possible tampering (He clearly has some sort of agenda) / fords reveries update has allowed those voices to come back.

I also don't think love is the MiB's motivation. I think he just wants to find the secrets Arnold created which Ford has buried both physically in the park and within the hosts mentally via updates. Discover some truth he thinks the real 'genius' of the park figured out and possibly to free Delores from being trapped there if the motivation does end up being love. That being the case if he's been going for 30 years and knows she wont remember then what is the harm in scalping? If that happened as we have no evidence of it.

Maybe he opened her up? She is the oldest host in the park right? Wouldn't that mean she still has the millions of mechanical pieces instead of the synthetic flesh. So much to think about.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 4, 2016

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Junkfist posted:

lol if he's on the Board of Directors and the majority shareholder he could walk into the labs and stick his dick in the milk vats screaming "Dolores I love you" what are they gonna do?

Dicks out for Dolores?

Seems weird that the actor playing Old Bill is Michael Wincott, who you'd think would have a bigger roll. Weird that they would make him look so old, since the hosts don't age, so there wont be any flashbacks to a younger Old Bill.

What about the piano player theme that runs through the show? It's in the intro, there's the piano player host in Ford's office, even Ford himself is seen playing the piano. Does it reflect the transition from human control to robot control? Also that piano playing host kinda looks like Arnold...

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Leon Einstein posted:

And I never mentioned any other motivation, so I'm not sure why you're framing it as an either or question.

Sorry, that seems to be a fairly common idea about his motivation, didn't mean to automatically assume it was yours.

Clocks posted:

How the gently caress is love his motivation if he is literally scalping Dolores? Whatever he did we are at least meant to think it was terrible because she uses that flashback as strength to pull the trigger on the bandit. (And we see him about to scalp Maeve, nevermind the other "atrocities" he's committed.)

We have not seen him scalp Dolores or Maeve. Remember that he has figured out that extreme fear can get the robots to overload and you can read both of those scenes as him trying his best to induce fear so that something happens. He's shown Kissy's scalp to people why would he scalp Dolores and why would we not see the scalp. I'd say there's a reason that we haven't seen the end of the scene and it's because he neither rapes her nor scalps her. Does he sit down and have a chat? Does he pee on her? Does he instead find some way to teach her how to fight back the next time Rebus comes through (my thought)? Who knows, that's why it is fun to speculate about this show. The writers are purposely leaving a lot of things open to interpretation and at this point I don't have enough evidence to conclusively point me in one way or another and I'd argue no one else does either. His only other interaction with Dolores he called her sweet though the line seemed to be there to make us squirm after what we initially interpreted as a rape.

He also sends the boy away to get water when he kills Lawrence. He said "too small" as if he didn't have enough blood to transfuse Teddy but he had water in his bag and could have filled the canteen with that. It seems more like he just didn't want him to see the bloodletting which is weird if he thought/knew the boy was a robot and didn't think that they have any feelings. He also has the expressed desire to free them.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Question...

Who was intent on hanging Lawrence before MiB showed up?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Catsplosion posted:

If that was the case management et al would just do whatever the gently caress they wanted irregardless of Ford. They don't.

Also Ford was the one who called Arnold's coding beneath all of his updates a walled garden. It seems to quite heavily imply that even Ford doesn't know how to access it. So they cant just roll the host back to the secrets which the MiB wants to find.

They don't because irrespective OR regardless of Ford's eccentricities he makes them money and they make money because the MiB had invested in it before Westworld collapsed financially.

If he wanted access to poo poo MiB could just go after it in a way that doesn't have him playing a Dolores-Torturing Murderman for 30 years but he loves it for some reason that'll probably make no sense if he's William and it looks like he will be so lol.

Seeing her leave the farmhouse in the present time after shooting Rebus (interesting name), showing up at Williams camp (30 years in the past?), seeing QA recall her because she has gone off her track (present), and seeing being grabbed by the officer to try and take her back (30 years in the past?) while saying that her father died (something we would have not have seen in a 30 year ago timeframe).

This sequence seems to flow together best if this was all in the present and to have it all be in the past would mean that the editing (and not creative writing) were the cause for everyone thinking that she is in the present the entire time. A lot of people have said that would cheapen the show for them.

You ain't kidding, holy smokes it's even worse the longer you think about it.

Remember when Ford talked to Bernard about Arnold and warned him not to make the same mistakes that Arnold did in thinking the Hosts were Real? Then Bernard seemed torn with Dolores in their basement chats, presumably due to the doubt that came from that conversation? Then she surprised him with the "If I know myself I'll be free" line? Then their next scene together has her tell him about how she ran when she witnessed her parents die? Then he tells her about the maze for what seems like the first time?

If the Split Timespheres are happening...how the gently caress am I supposed to then loving bother trying to track character arc from scene-to-scene??? I see Ford instill doubt in Bernard in the present to see him have doubts in the past??? Is that not the past? Is the next scene where he tells Dolores about the maze the super-DUPER-past? If all of these scenes are non-chronological than I can't even track a character's growth or motivations or what's compelling them from one vague-dialogue delivering moment to the next.

It's torture.

Show's ok though I guess.

Junkfist fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 4, 2016

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

Junkfist posted:

If he wanted access to poo poo MiB could just go after it in a way that doesn't have him playing a Dolores-Torturing Murderman for 30 years but he loves it for some reason that'll probably make no sense if he's William and it looks like he will be so lol.

The show has shown you that is clearly not the case. It has stated multiple times that there are secrets that even those still making and updating the hosts don't fully know about or understand.

How can you not think the split timelines are happening though? They have shown us two different logos. Go and rewatch episode two and look at the logos, decor, etc of the scenes involving William entering the park. Compare that to scenes in what people are calling the present. The creators of the show didn't make a completely different logo and use it for no reason.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Catsplosion posted:

The show has shown you that is clearly not the case. It has stated multiple times that there are secrets that even those still making and updating the hosts don't fully know about or understand.

How can you not think the split timelines are happening though? They have shown us two different logos. Go and rewatch episode two and look at the logos, decor, etc of the scenes involving William entering the park. Compare that to scenes in what people are calling the present. The creators of the show didn't make a completely different logo and use it for no reason.

Whoosh x 2

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

Junkfist posted:

Whoosh x 2

Ditto ;)

Only time will tell. This should be interesting.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elias_Maluco posted:

- in the second episode, the attendant says to William, when he askes her if she is real: "if you cant tell the difference, what does it matter". That's how I feel about the whole thing: the robots are indistinguishable from human beings, so what's does it matters if they are technically machines or not, in whatever you do to then? The only real difference is that what you do to the robots have no real consequences, which dont make you less of a monster if you decide to butcher, rape or torture then

How does it not?

Do you think everybody who plays videogames is a murderer???

Nickelsack posted:

Question...

Who was intent on hanging Lawrence before MiB showed up?

Some random hosts, as part of some storyline. Its not hugely important. All the characters in Westworld have several loops they go about throughout their days. Sizemore made a big deal about how they have 'hundreds of interwoven storylines'.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 4, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Astroman posted:

I think I figured it out, and this is part of it.

Logan and William are split up. Logan is captured by the Confederados, but ends up working with them, and heads to The War part of the game. William and Dolores continue on, and eventually goes off on her own to find The Maze where she becomes somewhat self aware. William hooks up with the Union and ends up in The War on opposite sides with Logan. William gets so pissed at Logan taunting him that they fight and he tries to kill Logan. Logan gets the upper hand, and is about to kill William, when self aware Dolores comes and saves him by killing Logan.

The action stops, the park attendants come out and pull all the hosts. They wipe Dolores. They know that this will cause the destruction of the park if it gets out that the hosts have become self aware and killed a guest. William goes on to marry Logan's sister and take over their company, and uses his juice to become part of the board and saves the park by buying it. We probably find out at some point that his company is actually called "Delos". He returns to find Dolores wiped and not remembering him. Ford adds the Teddy quest, which mimics William and Dolores, but she is killed almost every day and reset no matter what as is Teddy. William becomes obsessed with trying to jog Dolores' memories and returns once a year for 30 years trying to bring her back and/or find The Maze. He becomes the Man In Black. He is the "representative of The Board" that Ford says is already in the park.

:boom:

Except that the accident that happened in the park was Arnold dying. So you think this is an unrelated case later where Logan dies too? Cute story kid, but don't quit your day job.

Remember that Logan is not named Arnold, and MiB knows about Arnold's existence. How do you square all that?

There's no way its going to be that simple.

Junkfist posted:

If the Split Timespheres are happening...how the gently caress am I supposed to then loving bother trying to track character arc from scene-to-scene??? I see Ford instill doubt in Bernard in the present to see him have doubts in the past??? Is that not the past? Is the next scene where he tells Dolores about the maze the super-DUPER-past? If all of these scenes are non-chronological than I can't even track a character's growth or motivations or what's compelling them from one vague-dialogue delivering moment to the next.

Yeah this is why I don't buy the split timelines. There's no split timelines, its just hosts having flashbacks of their past loops. That's all.

Only host memories are flashbacks, everything else is the present.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 4, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I read that as Arnold dieing and logan dieing as two diff things.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Catsplosion posted:

Ditto ;)

Only time will tell. This should be interesting.

Dude the dual timezones are happening, I've been saying that for pages. It's also going hacky and gimmicky as hell and I hope I'm wrong.

If the MiB is a huge stakeholder in Westworld and on the Board of Directors he doesn't have to just play as a guest for 30 years in pursuit of one singular goal.

It doesn't matter what the employees or people running the place know or understand about Arnold's code, he'd have all kinds of access and privilege to look for it inside of the company itself...instead he likes paying ridiculous amounts of money to run around and shoot people and play a villain. He's enjoyed it for 30 years. That's understandable if he's just some sort of completionist thrill-seeking person who likes exploring, understanding, defeating, conquering and utterly beating a game.

If he's William and he actually did all of this because he's sad about his robot girlfriend then lol.

Zaphod42 posted:

How does it not?

That line bugged me.

If you're selling the experience you're not supposed to say "If you can't tell the difference, does it matter?"

You're supposed to say something along the lines of "Everything you do to Hosts is actually fine because they're NOT REAL and I'M NOT REAL please don't ever think it's the same please don't have any sort of guilt-driven existential crisis PLEASE keep coming back and spending all of your money here."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zaphod42 posted:

Except that the accident that happened in the park was Arnold dying

Citation needed.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
It's going to be really funny in a few episodes if we see some worker bee scratching off the logo on someone's door, replacing it with the new one, muttering about marketing wasting money with a loving rebranding.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

I read that as Arnold dieing and logan dieing as two diff things.

Right, but he wrote it where Dolores shoots Logan, which if Dolores shoots Arnold would be... weird? There's no way Delos would let a robot get away with killing two people and keep her in comission.

Dolores shooting Arnold as part of an 'accident' that Arnold schemed up makes sense. Dolores shooting Logan and getting away with it... doesn't really jive.

Junkfist posted:

That line bugged me.

If you're selling the experience you're not supposed to say "If you can't tell the difference, does it matter?"

You're supposed to say something along the lines of "Everything you do to Hosts is actually fine because they're NOT REAL and I'M NOT REAL please don't ever think it's the same please don't have any sort of guilt-driven existential crisis PLEASE keep coming back and spending all of your money here."

That's the very argument Sizemore makes in episode 1, and the head of QA responds that serving the rich hosts' fantasies is NOT the endgame of Westworld.

My theory is they're actually trying to build duncan-gholas, Dune style. Ressurect dead people as hosts. Like Ford said, master dead, bring forth Lazarus from his cave. Bernard is trying to bring back his dead son. And the site mentions that you have to sign off and let Delos collect all your blood and tissue samples and stuff, anything you leave in the park is theirs.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 4, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Arnold commited suicide bro

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Sorry, single time line. Very clear actually.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Suicide by Dolores

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

False, no timeline. The story doesn't exist.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Zaphod42 posted:

That's the very argument Sizemore makes in episode 1, and the head of QA responds that serving the rich hosts' fantasies is NOT the endgame of Westworld.

My theory is they're actually trying to build duncan-gholas, Dune style. Ressurect dead people as hosts. Like Ford said, master dead, bring forth Lazarus from his cave. Bernard is trying to bring back his dead son. And the site mentions that you have to sign off and let Delos collect all your blood and tissue samples and stuff, anything you leave in the park is theirs.

I dunno I always figured they were selling organs or doing some silly The Island poo poo and I always wondered how that Delos thing about their owning your DNA and cum and poop was going to figure into it so you might be right.

KoRMaK posted:

False, no timeline. The story doesn't exist.

Would prefer none over two, please kill us.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zaphod42 posted:

Nope, because they are just graphics and a bunch of data and logic. You can tell the difference. You can murder hundreds of people in GTA and even beat then to "death" you know they wont suffer, they wont feel it in any way, they wont be mourned, they dont want to live, they dont anything. And even in a game like that you cant actually rape or torture, there are limits

Westworld is a whole different case, a lot more problematic. They look humen, they talk and even think like humans, and they suffering is just like a human suffering, and you can do whatever you want to then, no limits. If you killa child in front of her mother, she weill scream and cry in a very real despair, if you rape her she will be horrified and will suffer like she was real, in a way you cant tell she is a just a robot. And like MiB says, they are even more real when they suffer

Junkfist posted:

Yeah, its a lot more telling and problematic then its supposed to be, considering she is there to make him feel confortable with using the hosts as he likes. And I think it actually made a difference in how humanely Willian treats the hosts (that and the fact he is not an rear end in a top hat as Logan)

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

Westworld is a whole different case, a lot more problematic. They look humen, they talk and even think like humans, and they suffering is just like a human suffering, and you can do whatever you want to then, no limits. If you killa child in front of her mother, she weill scream and cry in a very real despair, if you rape her she will be horrified and will suffer like she was real, in a way you cant tell she is a just a robot. And like MiB says, they are even more real when they suffer

It's honestly pretty frightening the amount of people who would sign up to rape something as long as they "aren't human". Like is having sex with your dog ok because it can't consent?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh right, there's the meta thing that we kind of have forgotten about.

I thought it was making an android army. It's the things we have the least clue about. Kind of like politics. Gets us to indulge in the low level poo poo why other people play bigger games and make bigger moves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UstNBrmJFc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Junkfist posted:

I dunno I always figured they were selling organs or doing some silly The Island poo poo and I always wondered how that Delos thing about their owning your DNA and cum and poop was going to figure into it so you might be right.

Yeah The Island style is another possibility, but would the organs even be compatible?

Another third option is they're growing manchurian candidate robot replacements. Assassinate a world figure, replace him with a perfect robot clone designed to appear exactly like the same person, only now they're under your control. Nobody knows anything happened and now you have control over the nuclear launch codes or whatever.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nope, because they are just graphics and a bunch of data and logic. You can tell the difference. You can murder hundreds of people in GTA and even beat then to "death" you know they wont suffer, they wont feel it in any way, they wont be mourned, they dont want to live, they dont anything. And even in a game like that you cant actually rape or torture, there are limits

Videogames are constantly getting more realistic. To somebody from the 70s, modern games would look incredibly realistic and seeing people shoot videogame characters while they begged for their lives would be extremely disturbing. And videogames are only getting more and more realistic.

So you're saying that right now its fine, but if videogames become too realistic then at some point it'd be immoral to kill the characters?

What makes it immoral isn't how realistic they appear, but if they experience pain. Dogs don't act exactly like humans, but causing suffering to dogs is still immoral. Meanwhile video game characters appear similar to humans, but killing them is fine since they only give the illusion of pain, they don't actually feel pain.

If you don't think there are videogames where people cry and appear to suffer when you hurt them, you're out of the loop. Such things exist.

MiB was saying they appear most real, not that he thinks suffering makes them into real people. (although that works both ways as suffering seems to have kicked off Dolores and Maeve's journies of self discovery, but I don't think MiB was actually trying to cause that)

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Zaphod42 posted:

Another third option is they're growing manchurian candidate robot replacements. Assassinate a world figure, replace him with a perfect robot clone designed to appear exactly like the same person, only now they're under your control. Nobody knows anything happened and now you have control over the nuclear launch codes or whatever.

Only reason I'd doubt that is that's the plot of Futureworld, the original Westworld's sequel.

Yeah I spoiled it, they tell you in its trailer. You don't want to see it anyway it's bad.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zaphod42 posted:

Videogames are constantly getting more realistic. To somebody from the 70s, modern games would look incredibly realistic and seeing people shoot videogame characters while they begged for their lives would be extremely disturbing. And videogames are only getting more and more realistic.

So you're saying that right now its fine, but if videogames become too realistic then at some point it'd be immoral to kill the characters?

What makes it immoral isn't how realistic they appear, but if they experience pain. Dogs don't act exactly like humans, but causing suffering to dogs is still immoral. Meanwhile video game characters appear similar to humans, but killing them is fine since they only give the illusion of pain, they don't actually feel pain.

If you don't think there are videogames where people cry and appear to suffer when you hurt them, you're out of the loop. Such things exist.

MiB was saying they appear most real, not that he thinks suffering makes them into real people. (although that works both ways as suffering seems to have kicked off Dolores and Maeve's journies of self discovery, but I don't think MiB was actually trying to cause that)

But that's exactly it: their humanity and suffering are SO real its indistinguishable from the real thing. So what difference does it makes, is the question? Dont matter how realistic the latest GTA looks, it is still a videogame, you can tell all the time it is a videogame, there is no possible mistake that the person you are killing is just a scripted model on a screen, even if it "cries". And like you said, even that can be somewhat disturbing

Now Westworld takes it so much further it just cant not be disturbing and problematic. Let alone the fact there a reasonable clues that the robots are actually capable of really feeling stuff, not only acting like they do

edit: to me it seems like the show is posing this question: if its thinking and feelings, its humanity and dignity, are so real nobody cant tell it from the real thing, whats the difference from the real thing? How can you tell it inst real suffering you causing, if it is in every single aspect identical to real suffering?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 4, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

But that's exactly it: their humanity and suffering are SO real its indistinguishable from the real thing. So what difference does it makes, is the question? Dont matter how realistic the latest GTA looks, it is still a videogame, you can tell all the time it is a videogame, there is no possible mistake that the person you are killing is just a scripted model on a screen, even if it "cries". And like you said, even that can be somewhat disturbing

Who says? It is entirely conceivable that you could create a videogame filled with actual feeling AI agents. And the difference between that and an extremely convincing illusion of feeling would be nearly impossible to distinguish, and if we're talking about games that are that advanced, there's no way you can just poke open the compiled machine code and be like "oh yeah its obvious they're doing X"

Elias_Maluco posted:

Now Westworld takes it so much further it just cant not be disturbing and problematic. Let alone the fact there a reasonable clues that the robots are actually capable of really feeling stuff, not only acting like they do

There aren't really clues though. There's nothing you can actually do to prove you're a feeling consciousness. That's the real complication here.

There's no way to tell if the hosts are actually feeling or just seem like they are becuase their programming is advancing. The show is clearly set up for us to sympathize with the hosts and especially Dolores and Maeve, but that's no proof really, even with everything we've seen.

I'm not doubting that's the intention of the show; it clearly is. I'm just saying from the guests perspective... you can't know for sure.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 4, 2016

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Those of you who are arguing that the MiB's motivations are actually more altruistic than they appear (he's trying to save the hosts! He loves Dolores!), let me remind you of what happens in episode 1. I've bolded the things I think significant:

quote:

Unknown Man: Last question, Dolores. What if I told you that you were wrong? That there are no chance encounters? That you and everyone you know were built to gratify the desires of the people who pay to visit your world?

Dolores: Daddy! Daddy! (Sobbing) Daddy! No!

Man: The people you call "the newcomers."

MiB: Hello again. Your daddy gave it up quickly. Think he's losing his touch.

Teddy: You'll be following right behind him, you son of a bitch.

MiB: Is that any way to treat an old friend? I've been coming here for 30 years, but you still don't remember me, do you? After all we've been through. They gave you a little more pluck, Dolores. Absolutely charming.

(sobbing)

Teddy: Take your hands off her.

MiB: Oh, Teddy. Any special tricks for us? They teach you to sit up, beg? How about I give you the first shot, hmm? After all, every dog has his day. Well, your mouth move fast enough. How about your gun?

Man: What if I told you that you can't hurt the newcomers? And that they can do anything they want to you?

MiB: I never understood why they paired some of you off. Seems cruel. (Gunshot) And then I realized winning doesn't mean anything unless someone else loses. Which means you're here to be the loser.

I'm ignoring the Man's comments for now, as I do agree there's something more going on in this scene.

"They gave you a little more pluck, Dolores. Absolutely charming." Dolores struggles a little bit. William just saw Dolores high noon the entire enemy team. He's also been on a journey with her prior to her high noon incident where she demonstrates considerably more 'pluck' than she does in this scene.

The MiB is consistent in his condescension towards the hosts. He's consistently an rear end in a top hat. Arguments asserting that he's doing this for the hosts; that he's doing this for Dolores, out of love, simply don't ring true to me. We also see here that he knows Teddy, and that he doesn't know why the hosts are paired with each other. The argument that Teddy is a stand-in for Will is not in line with what the MiB is saying here. Also, Teddy and Dolore's loop is not similar to Will and Dolores' journey. Will=MiB is still possible, obviously, but I don't believe Will = Teddy stands up, at all.

And just for completeness, here's the rest of the scene:

quote:

MiB: I didn't pay all this money 'cause I want it easy. I want you to fight.

Teddy: Don't you touch her! (gunshot) (hammer clicks) (gunshot) (gasps)

MiB: God drat, feels good to be back. (Screams) Let's celebrate.

Let's celebrate by me raping you? Let's celebrate by me peeling your scalp off while you're still alive? Let's celebrate by having a heart to heart about how we used to be in love?

Let's also revisit Ford + MiB's conversation in the last episode:

quote:

MiB: The man I'd be asking died 35 years ago. Almost took this place with him. Almost, but not quite, thanks to me. Or maybe he left something behind. I wonder what I would find... if I open you up.

MiB links Arnold's death to the critical failure of the park, and indicates that he saved it after this event. Two timeline theorists theorize that there's another incident, to come in Will's journey, and that Will saves the park after this second incident. This despite the fact that Will clearly doesn't know Arnold, and doesn't know about the critical failure. For there to be a second incident, to come in Will's journey - the park is clearly running with very little issues in Will's story. You theorists are saying that Arnold died, concurrently with the critical failure, the park kept running for 3-5 years, and then Will comes, experiences love with a robot, kills his brother-in-law, takes over a corporation, saves the park, then starts terrorizing his lover and friends for the next 30 years?*

I hope to gently caress this is not true.

*If Arnold shows up in Will's story, then we know this theory is true.

A final note on the Man, Arnold, and Bernard. I can't watch the episodes at work and I can't screenshot for you. Pay attention to each of Dolores' conversations with Bernard. Note the clothes he wears versus the clothes when he's in scenes with others. Take note of when he's wearing something different than what he usually wears, and what he says to Dolores in those conversations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Paperback Writer posted:

so what is your guys' explanation of why Dolores is hearing the voices and acting strangely with William when it showed she first starting showing these signs in the "present timeline"

Let's also not forget that Dolores herself said her "last encounter" with Arnold was nearly 30 years ago, and she's (presumably) been totally fine in all of that time and Ford has only now become aware that she may be a threat because of Arnold's meddling. But it's also because of the "reveries" which were a brand-new thing in the present day. The reveries have triggered the potential for persistent memory in the hosts, in the present (which started with episode 1 before William was even in the park), and it's affecting Dolores while she's with William.

There is no evidence that she ever had though, that's purely speculation. She spoke with Arnold in the distant past, and then heard voices in the present, and that's all we know.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Skizzzer posted:

MiB links Arnold's death to the critical failure of the park, and indicates that he saved it after this event. Two timeline theorists theorize that there's another incident, to come in Will's journey, and that Will saves the park after this second incident. This despite the fact that Will clearly doesn't know Arnold, and doesn't know about the critical failure. For there to be a second incident, to come in Will's journey - the park is clearly running with very little issues in Will's story. You theorists are saying that Arnold died, concurrently with the critical failure, the park kept running for 3-5 years, and then Will comes, experiences love with a robot, kills his brother-in-law, takes over a corporation, saves the park, then starts terrorizing his lover and friends for the next 30 years?*

Exactly. This is what I was trying to come to earlier, but you've hit the nail on the head.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Skizzzer posted:

A final note on the Man, Arnold, and Bernard. I can't watch the episodes at work and I can't screenshot for you. Pay attention to each of Dolores' conversations with Bernard. Note the clothes he wears versus the clothes when he's in scenes with others. Take note of when he's wearing something different than what he usually wears, and what he says to Dolores in those conversations.
This is a good spot.

It's also worth noting that in episode 1, Bernard's opening dialogue with Dolores mirrors her dialogue with security guy later on in the episode exactly word for word.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think this is a lot of what indicates that the Man in Black isn't William to me. He could be Logan, I suppose, but I don't think it's that simple either.

I don't think it means that he doesn't have altruistic motivations in the end, though (or at least more complex than they appear). He indicates that he feels the place "lacks a true villain" or something along those lines, and that it's a role he's filling. It's safe to say there's at least some amount of subterfuge involved in his actions, and that involves more than just power-gaming. He's trying to unravel secrets that people do not want him to unravel. I think the trickier thing than having the editing be a bit confusing about time is that the writing is intentionally very vague on everyone's motivations and alliances.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Why do people think MiB is bad? Because he kills robots?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Skizzzer posted:

It can be read as Arnold setting in motion consciousness within the hosts prior to dying which allowed them to learn and precipitated the crisis which happened four years after his death. He doesn't come out and say when it was that he almost took the park with him.

Again, it's the kind of thing that lends itself to interpretation. One thing I would point out is that it's a little more expected that Logan would be speaking about Arnold's death if it happened four years ago rather than 34 years ago. I mean, the company has a board and governance structure and anyone looking to buy in would be able to go over their finances. But early on, the park would be much less known as a corporate entity. For someone who is probably ~35 himself, Arnold should be ancient history and uninteresting to a potential buyer like Logan.

Hopefully we have more to chew on after Sunday but I won't be surprised if this continues to the last episode - I don't expect a big reveal or confrontation until then, at least.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75dY9e26m8E

Already stated but was interesting

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

tooterfish posted:

This is a good spot.

It's also worth noting that in episode 1, Bernard's opening dialogue with Dolores mirrors her dialogue with security guy later on in the episode exactly word for word.

Full credit to whoever pointed out Dream Bernard in the first place (I think episode 3 or 4). That's the only reason I've been looking out for those discrepancies. Not my idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
please tell me the people who think Logan is a host are loving joking

• Locked thread