Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Collectivism works. Central management less so. See the difference?

Back to Aus Pol

Enter the Bernardi:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2016/11/07/cory-bernardi-defends-campaigning-for-trump/

quote:

Cory Bernardi defends campaigning for Trump

The Liberal Senator is in the US on a taxpayer funded trip to the United Nations and is using the time to comment on the presidential election.

Liberal backbench Senator Cory Bernardi is waging his own personal campaign for Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump through Twitter, and it looks like he is threatening to bring the populist Republican’s slogan Down Under. Bernardi, who is in New York for three months as an Australian delegate to the United Nations, tweeted a photo of himself wearing a hat emblazoned with the words “Make Australia Great Again” — a tribute to Trump’s “Make America Great Again”. Trump is the only person Bernardi follows on Twitter, where he also uses hashtags like “DrainTheSwamp” — another of Trump’s favourite slogans. Bernardi couldn’t offer any advice on where to get a cap to match, tweeting that it had been a birthday gift. Ms Tips has found a few options on Amazon, but they don’t copy the Trump font quite so well.

Bernardi has been critisiced for taking such a partisan stance while in the US on a taxpayer-funded trip, but he defended himself by saying “Labor dont like me supporting Trump but ok with their own tweeting support for crooked Hillary”. While Labor leader Bill Shorten said on Insiders yesterday that he hoped Hillary Clinton would win, the Labor MP who is also on the UN trip, Lisa Singh, has taken a different route, tweeting a few criticisms of Trump on debate night, but not going all the way with HRC (it kind of works …).

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Capitalism never starved anyone

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

I don't trust the British either

anidav in stopped clock shocker

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what happens if One Nation runs out of senator wannabes?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

On the one hand Bernardi is away for three months. On the other, Australian delegate to the UN is a raving Trump deplorable. Maybe Malcolm Roberts is worried about the looney balance.

Synthbuttrange posted:

James Ashby. But he might still prefer the Reps. He was trying to bully the reporters at the Roberts presser BTW, I suspect there's no love lost there.

edit: oh and some kind of wrap up of most of today, note more bungling of procedure by the coalition:

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/795453357708054528

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 7, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOcU5PJiAGo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

thatbastardken posted:

anidav in stopped clock shocker

H-hey

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The gently caress am I hearing

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
Well this is an interesting development.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-07/18c-racial-vilification-facebook-qut-case-hrc-denies-involvement/8002598 posted:

The Human Rights Commission has hit back at claims it is mishandling complaints under the Racial Discrimination Act, confirming it had no involvement with a controversial court case against Queensland University of Technology (QUT) students.
The Prime Minister's Office told the ABC the commission enabled the matter to go to the Federal Circuit Court by not dealing with in a suitable and timely manner.

They touched it last so it's their fault.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sir this is a McDonald's drive-through.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

We all get to live better lives as Australia has run out of racists?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'll be a racist for a few terms if it gets me the cushy salary and pension

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

What the gently caress is any of this Dutton

God drat

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

This parliament is getting weirder by the day. Mark Di Stefano has a good round up on today's weirdness:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/roberts-on-a-roll?utm_term=.dpX8QeM6W#.bulZJyB8L

Good to see the government is still seconding motions against itself

You Am I fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 7, 2016

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
What a bunch of utter clowns

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

Capitalism never starved anyone

drat straight. All those leaners just need to pull themselves up by their imported Italian leather bootstraps and ask Dad for a job that pays good money.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

This parliament is getting weirder by the day. Mark Di Stefano has a good round up on today's weirdness:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/roberts-on-a-roll?utm_term=.dpX8QeM6W#.bulZJyB8L

Good to see the government is still seconding motions against itself

Wow, what the actual gently caress is wrong with the totally insane politicians in this country...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Renewable Energy causes drowned children??????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????

:suicide:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Shut up Chris Uhlmann you idiot gently caress.

Edit: ONE NATION HAD A THUMPING FIFTEEN PERCENT SUPPORT IN FLYNN CLEARLY WE MUST BOW TO THESE CHAMPIONS OF THE POOR AND DISPOSSESSED

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I like how he undermines his whole tirade halfway through by pointing out that they could subsidise swimming lessons if it were found to be an actual issue. :allears:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Anyone got anything good to read about protectionism? Seen a few posters ITT saying it's bad and I've always been of the opinion that it's actually a good thing but have done very little reading about it

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Starshark posted:

Edit: ONE NATION HAD A THUMPING FIFTEEN PERCENT SUPPORT IN FLYNN CLEARLY WE MUST BOW TO THESE CHAMPIONS OF THE POOR AND DISPOSSESSED

For anyone unaware, Flynn is the worst electorate in QLD.

e. in case that was unclear from their ON voters.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

take tithin's bet you coward

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Birdstrike posted:

take tithin's bet you coward

Seconded

EDIT: Shut up Leigh Sales, stop attacking Triggs.

You Am I fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 7, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

You Am I posted:

Seconded

EDIT: Shut up Leigh Sales, stop attacking Triggs.

Yeah that was a real bullshit interview.

e:Also thirded.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
gently caress Q&A is garbage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress Q&A is garbage.

2 IPA people on the panel this week, jesus loving christ.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Hmmm yes, you're bringing up an interesting point about how we find people using the legislated protections they have to be somehow cheating the system and causing havoc, but I'd like to stop you mid-thought there, because I doubt that this IPA fuckhead could think of a response to that.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Lib senator referring to the UK as "England" when discussing his support for Brexit :getin:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The Plebiscite was just officially voted down in the Senate.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The Plebiscite was just officially voted down in the Senate.

Good.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Lib senator referring to the UK as "England" when discussing his support for Brexit :getin:

Considering Scotland and the City of London will probably leave the UK to stay in Europe that sounds about right.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

hooman posted:

Wow, what the actual gently caress is wrong with the totally insane politicians in this country...

Gas Australia; start over a fresh .

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Gas Australia; start over a fresh .

Ricky Muir really got me thinking about how we could have an experimental senate. Random lot from the nation (akin to jury duty), not people who are super knowledgable about politics, or ideology or policy, but have an innate sense of themselves, and aren't afraid to learn or fail or grow as they go along. We could even put them on the ballot. Do you want so and so from this party, that party or do you pick ~the mystery box~.

Maybe I've either underestimated Muir or over-estimated the average citizen, but it seems like people who don't have a noxious ambition to be a politician seem to give better outcomes than those who do. Even PUP's lackeys, who seemed to be genuinely surprised they got into office found themselves with principles nobody knew they had, sacrificing their party for some kind of ideal.

It's a bad idea but can it be any worse than the Abbott/Turnbull/Abbott-sandwich we're about to choke down?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Given the way the Liberals seem to be promoting vacuous young IPA hacks within the party, it seems like it's only going to get worse once the older actual conservatives move on and are replaced by these reactionaries with agendas to push.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

aejix posted:

Anyone got anything good to read about protectionism? Seen a few posters ITT saying it's bad and I've always been of the opinion that it's actually a good thing but have done very little reading about it

Go buy some economics text books and learn about neo-classical economics, then go read some international political economy studies and realize its all a load of poo poo

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

alp-lnp 53-47, lol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Good.

Goooood.

gently caress the LNP. gently caress the ALP too but they seem to be on their best behaviour recently so kudos to that until they agree to the welfare cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PM Abbott for christmas

also Gillian Triggs trolling the hell out of the LNP by supporting 18c changes to make it more powerful

• Locked thread