Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Marlins hired former manager Fredi Gonzalez as 3rd base coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Here's an article arguing for neither Dexter or Almora. Put Schwarber in LF, Heyward CF, Zobrist RF, functionally replacing Dex's bat with Schwarber's. Also gets the bonus of Javy getting to start every day at 2B. I guess Soler gets traded or cries in a corner or something, the article doesn't mention him. Alternatively I guess he could be platooned with Schwarbs against lefties but eeeehhhh

That's not an article, that's Steve Rosenbloom typing up whatever he felt like barfing into the sink this morning.

Christ, I hate him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The thing that scares me is that the Cubs haven't been very good when Fowler has been injured over the last 2 seasons. I'd hate for this to be one of those moves that backfires and the team has a giant hole at the top of the lineup all year.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Man. I must have been not paying much attention but I guess Mark Trumbo's defence was especially vile this year. How do you hit 47 dingers and end up with less WAR than Darwin Barney.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Marlins hired former manager Fredi Gonzalez as 3rd base coach

God damnit, now I have to see his stupid fat head like 18 times

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Niwrad posted:

The thing that scares me is that the Cubs haven't been very good when Fowler has been injured over the last 2 seasons. I'd hate for this to be one of those moves that backfires and the team has a giant hole at the top of the lineup all year.

Fowler played 156 games in 2015 and the Cubs won 97 games. Yes they did go through an 11-17 stretch this season when he was injured but the pitching staff during that time had an ERA a full point and a half above what they ended at this season.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

That's fine but do the Cubs spend the money on the bullpen or more crazy Trump ads?

Decline Hammels Option, sign a SP who is not Jason Hammel and improve the Bullpen. Spending money for no reason is what bad teams do and the Cubs are officially not bad team anymore.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Chexoid posted:

Man. I must have been not paying much attention but I guess Mark Trumbo's defence was especially vile this year. How do you hit 47 dingers and end up with less WAR than Darwin Barney.

He also sucks at baserunning and offense was up all over the league and the AL East has 4/5 hitter friendly parks so the total offensive component of his WAR was roughly equivalent to Kole Calhoun on Fangraphs and worse on BREF.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 7, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chexoid posted:

The OBP below .320 didn't help

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Decline Hammels Option, sign a SP who is not Jason Hammel and improve the Bullpen. Spending money for no reason is what bad teams do and the Cubs are officially not bad team anymore.

If they wanted a SP they would have kept Hammel who is probably a better value than anyone on the market.

Spending money just to spend is bad. But letting good players go at positions you need and not replacing them would be worse.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The Cubs are probably thinking of trying Montgomery out as a fifth starter unless a prospect breaks through during the season. Montgomery is under team control for the next 5 seasons yet.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

tadashi posted:

He also sucks at baserunning and offense was up all over the league and the AL East has 4/5 hitter friendly parks so the total offensive component of his WAR was roughly equivalent to Kole Calhoun on Fangraphs and worse on BREF.

Is the Trop actually pitcher-friendly, or is that more a matter of Tampa having done fairly well with starting pitching the last few years? I would have pegged the entire AL East as the division where baseballs go to die.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Nail Rat posted:

The Cubs are probably thinking of trying Montgomery out as a fifth starter unless a prospect breaks through during the season. Montgomery is under team control for the next 5 seasons yet.

I bet Zaz also gets a chance to show what he's worth as a starter during spring training, with ties going to Montgomery.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

The Fowler-Theo 'handshake agreement' either didn't exist or has just been broken, as Dex has been given a Qualifying Offer. The other Cub FA and their last salary as of right now:

Did we have confirmation of the Fowler-QO gentlemen's agreement thing or was it just kind of assumed? Just like it was assumed that they'd hang onto Hammel and trade him, only to find out that that was expressly not the intent and his option was declined at his choice.

CubsWoo posted:

The clear answer is for Maddon to utilize his new weapon, "Wheels" Schwarber, as a defensive gem in center field pinch runner

:colbert:

Niwrad posted:

That's fine but do the Cubs spend the money on the bullpen or more crazy Trump ads?

All joking aside this is entirely irrelevant in less than 48 hours....

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

If they wanted a SP they would have kept Hammel who is probably a better value than anyone on the market.

Spending money just to spend is bad. But letting good players go at positions you need and not replacing them would be worse.

Jason Hammel is a league average pitcher who is going to be 34. They can do extremely better than him in free agency.

Stealth edit: actually now that I'm looking at the pitching market, the best option is literally Jeremy Hellickson. Man the free agency crop is total garbage this year.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Paul Zuvella posted:

Jason Hammel is a league average pitcher who is going to be 34. They can do extremely better than him in free agency.

Stealth edit: actually now that I'm looking at the pitching market, the best option is literally Jeremy Hellickson. Man the free agency crop is total garbage this year.

Yeah in this market $8 million for 150 innings of mostly league average starting pitching seems like a loving steal

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Make Z or Montgomery the fifth starter, spend money on a closer IMO.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Pat Hughes is among the finalists for the Hall of Fame's Ford Frick award.

Of course, Hawk Harrelson is also up for the award, so this doesn't seem very credible.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nail Rat posted:

Make Z or Montgomery the fifth starter, spend money on a closer IMO.

Dexter's and Hammel's money can be given to Jansen.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Dexter's and Hammel's money can be given to Jansen.

They don't have to take money from one place and move it to another. The Cubs are literally in Yankees/Dodgers value territory now. Just spend the drat money.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pat Hughes is among the finalists for the Hall of Fame's Ford Frick award.

Of course, Hawk Harrelson is also up for the award, so this doesn't seem very credible.

Aren't like three or four of the Frick finalists voted upon by fans through the Hall's Facebook page?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would like to see them re-sign Fowler and use the Edwin Jackson/Jason Hammel money to sign Jensen.

Chapman scares me much more in the long term than Jensen who has a smoother delivery and less wear on his arm.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Niwrad posted:

I would like to see them re-sign Fowler and use the Edwin Jackson/Jason Hammel money to sign Jensen.

Chapman scares me much more in the long term than Jensen who has a smoother delivery and less wear on his arm.

Also Jensen doesn't hit his wife and also knows how to cover first base.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
If I'm Hammel I'm glad the Cubs didn't pick up my option. He's probably a top three or top five pitcher in this market.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ammat The Ankh posted:

If I'm Hammel I'm glad the Cubs didn't pick up my option. He's probably a top three or top five pitcher in this market.

Exactly. Dude is gonna get overpaid because he's king of Turd Mountain.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

On the topic of not free agency, isn't this supposed to be the offseason the Wrigley bullpens are moved under the bleachers?

I just found myself thinking about it and couldn't dig up anything more recent than last year.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That's why I'm surprised they didn't pick up the option and trade him. Someone would have given up something to get him in the rotation next year.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Explosionface posted:

On the topic of not free agency, isn't this supposed to be the offseason the Wrigley bullpens are moved under the bleachers?

I just found myself thinking about it and couldn't dig up anything more recent than last year.

its sad that the san fransicso giants will be the last NL team to respect the good and correct position of bullpens.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

When do they announce the Cy Young so I can be mad it isn't Hendricks

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Goodpancakes posted:

November 16. Full awards schedule available at http://m.mlb.com/awards/

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

its sad that the san fransicso giants will be the last NL team to respect the good and correct position of bullpens.

I was going question this, but then I remembered how many relief pitchers I would have liked to see get murdered on the field so never mind

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Also Jensen doesn't hit his wife and also knows how to cover first base.

He also is a converted catcher so can be an emergency backup!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

That's why I'm surprised they didn't pick up the option and trade him. Someone would have given up something to get him in the rotation next year.

They specifically mentioned that they weren't going to do this.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'm gonna miss watching opposing players fall down from tripping over the bullpen mound while trying to catch a pop-up. I'm also gonna miss the Cubs bullpen not flinching as a line drive screams their way. :sigh:

I know the office building is also supposed to be done this offseason. Will the plaza be done too or is that in another year?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Goodpancakes posted:

If only there was an easy to find post that contained information like this. Maybe even the first one in the thread. Man, that would sure be handy.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

IcePhoenix posted:

If only there was an easy to find post that contained information like this. Maybe even the first one in the thread. Man, that would sure be handy.

Sorry I missed that!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

CubsWoo posted:

He's the #2 CF on the market playing a position where Fowler would probably be an upgrade anywhere but Anaheim, Boston and Tampa

Or Kansas City or Philly or Toronto or Washington or the White Sox or Colorado or Baltimore or Florida or Pittsburgh or Arizona or The Dodgers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

From what I understand the Cubs essentially treated the team option like a player option, and approached Hammel to ask him if he wanted to stick around for another year or test the FA market. Hammel said he'd rather leave, so the club let him go. There's a fangraphs article that digs a bit into the reasoning for just letting him walk, and the argument I find most compelling is that the Cubs didn't really need him, either as a pitcher or a trade piece. There are young pitchers waiting in the wings to take the #5 spot in Montgomery/Zastryzny in the immediate future, and looking forward to patching up an aging rotation in Lester/Lackey/Arrieta the Cubs are swimming in a veritable mountain of cash they can throw at the problem.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm gonna miss watching opposing players fall down from tripping over the bullpen mound while trying to catch a pop-up. I'm also gonna miss the Cubs bullpen not flinching as a line drive screams their way. :sigh:

I know the office building is also supposed to be done this offseason. Will the plaza be done too or is that in another year?

basically any time they make changes to a park that aren't quality-of-life improvements for the fans i think it's dumb. renovating clubhouses is one thing, but removing tal's hill is loving stupid and removing foul-territory bullpens is loving stupid too. my favorite thing about baseball is that there are barely any rules about the layout of the park other than the configuration of the infield. you want a triangular outfield wall? why the gently caress not? polo groups? go for it! 700ft as your short porch? gently caress it, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

Here's an article arguing for neither Dexter or Almora. Put Schwarber in LF, Heyward CF, Zobrist RF, functionally replacing Dex's bat with Schwarber's. Also gets the bonus of Javy getting to start every day at 2B. I guess Soler gets traded or cries in a corner or something, the article doesn't mention him. Alternatively I guess he could be platooned with Schwarbs against lefties but eeeehhhh

I am cool with the ideas expressed in this article. I'm willing to wager that the opinion across MLB of Jorge Soler is higher than SAS' which would make him a nice piece of the package for a controllable arm. Zobrist can roam RF for a few years then Eloy Jimenez can slide on in. Almora will still get AB's as the designated Schwarber against tough lefties while spelling everyone else and if/when Heyward rebounds and opts out you've got a CF waiting in the wings. If everyone is cool playing 4-5 times a week you could probably keep Soler in that rotation as well, but I wouldn't platoon Schwarber, just give him his days off when you're facing a Kershaw type.

• Locked thread