Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I bought and played through this game because of this LP, and I have to say that I was quite pleased with my skill in the refights. In spite of a generally chump-like performance overall (92 deaths and more than 6 hours for 100% completion), I nailed the refights first time with no ichor used and by shovel dueling each of the bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

We picked up a couple more music sheets this video, as usual. We're real close to 100% completion! Let's check out the new songs:

22 - The Defender
It's shovel versus shovel! Can your old rival be reasoned with?
"I like to keep my songs simple and less intense, so that I can really highlight the dramatic moments... ...HAHAHAHAHA! I slay myself."

41 - The Inner Struggle
As the drama mounts, be ready for anything!
"Timpani rolls might be a shortcut to sturm-und-drang, but I've no shame, friend knight."

anilEhilated posted:

Does King knight say that last bit only if you have the golden armor? It sounds awfully specific.
This was answered a little earlier, but yeah he does. It's part in why I put off showing off armors for so long-- I wanted to time it right so that I could show off the gold armor explicitly so I could get that one line!

Samovar posted:

Also, you defeated him with EXPERT timing.

cant cook creole bream posted:

That timing was awesome. The trumpets announced your victory!
Aaaaaaah, I'm so glad people noticed! I did not plan that at all but when it happened I had to debate with myself on the spot whether I wanted to say anything about it or not because it was so cool. I erred towards the side of staying silent and hopefully letting people notice it on their own. :3:

Dr. Fetus posted:

The boss rush is random for the most part, with one exception. Polar Knight will always be fought in the first three rematches. The reason for this is because the devs got frustrated with dying to the spikes late in the boss rush while they were making the game. :v: It's a nice way of making things less frustrating for the player.
Oh, dang! I didn't know this at all. That's pretty neat. I mean the most obvious solution here is to remove the instant death spikes from his arsenal but I kind of like them in a weird way of being able to incorporate one of his stage gimmicks (snow on spikes) while also having a shifting battlefield. I can get why people hate it though.

grancheater posted:

And Treasure Knight has to get the food under his helmet:
oh my god I never noticed this

David Corbett posted:

I bought and played through this game because of this LP, and I have to say that I was quite pleased with my skill in the refights. In spite of a generally chump-like performance overall (92 deaths and more than 6 hours for 100% completion), I nailed the refights first time with no ichor used and by shovel dueling each of the bosses.
Hey man, congrats! Thanks for supporting a cool game (and cool developers) and I'm glad you enjoyed it and did well! I should boot up my 3DS and see if my first file is still kicking around; see how many times I died total my first time through...

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
N-thing that the trumpets were incredible. You're giving this game the credit it deserves and it seems to be thankful. :3:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

grancheater posted:

I... I think he's drinking out of a bomb.

And Treasure Knight has to get the food under his helmet:

I can't gif it myself, but if you watch Propeller Knight, he's swirling his wine in his goblet, too.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kaubocks posted:

This was answered a little earlier, but yeah he does. It's part in why I put off showing off armors for so long-- I wanted to time it right so that I could show off the gold armor explicitly so I could get that one line!

Does King Knight only comment on the gold armor?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

White Coke posted:

Does King Knight only comment on the gold armor?

Only the gold armor elicits a reaction from King Knight-- he's only interested in the most ~stylish~ attire.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

to be fair, the Gold Armor is the best armor in the game, and anyone who disagrees is wrong

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mole Knight status: still a chump.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

grancheater posted:

That's obviously a depth charge :haw:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I could've sworn you only got a health refill halfway through the refights, or after every other fight. I definitely don't remember getting one after each refight.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

C-Euro posted:

I could've sworn you only got a health refill halfway through the refights, or after every other fight. I definitely don't remember getting one after each refight.

Is it tied to difficulty?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

C-Euro posted:

In New Game +, all the chickens in game are replaced by bombs except during the boss rush where only half of them are. This is on top of a couple other changes but that's probably what you were thinking of.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
How fast did Kaubocks defeat the Order of No Quarter’s boss rush? Here’s the numbers. I only counted active battle time, not including the time spent posing before and after each fight. I also threw in how much damage each knight inflicted.

Treasure Knight - 0:08; 0 damage
Propeller Knight - 0:18; 1.5 damage
Polar Knight - 0:15; 2 damage
Plague Knight - 0:23; 1.5 damage
Specter Knight - 0:36; 1.5 damage
Mole Knight - 0:15; 0.5 damage
Tinker Knight - 0:39 (Mini - 0:05, Mecha - 0:34); 0.5 damage
King Knight - 0:17; 1 damage

Total Battle Time - 2:51
Total Damage Taken - 8.5

Treasure Knight wins the biggest chump award for going down fastest and without giving Kaubocks a scratch; Tinker Knight lasted the longest if you combine both forms, otherwise Specter Knight held out longest; and Polar Knight was the biggest threat, taking off 2 whole health spheres. Notably, Kaubocks could have beaten them all without ever healing.

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 5, 2016

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Treasure Knight went down so fast I seriously thought "Oh, they have reduced health to make the boss rush fair"

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

How fast did Kaubocks defeat the Order of No Quarter’s boss rush? Here’s the numbers. I only counted active battle time, not including the time spent posing before and after each fight. I also threw in how much damage each knight inflicted.

Treasure Knight - 0:08; 0 damage
Propeller Knight - 0:18; 1.5 damage
Polar Knight - 0:15; 2 damage
Plague Knight - 0:23; 1.5 damage
Specter Knight - 0:36; 1.5 damage
Mole Knight - 0:15; 0.5 damage
Tinker Knight - 0:39 (Mini - 0:05, Mecha - 0:34); 0.5 damage
King Knight - 0:17; 1 damage

Total Battle Time - 2:51
Total Damage Taken - 8.5

Treasure Knight wins the biggest chump award for going down fastest and without giving Kaubocks a scratch; Tinker Knight lasted the longest if you combine both forms, otherwise Specter Knight held out longest; and Polar Knight was the biggest threat, taking off 2 whole health spheres. Notably, Kaubocks could have beaten them all without ever healing.

:five:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
:effort:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

:potg:

Honestly I'd never chumped on Treasure Knight so hard in my life. Glad I could get that one on tape because it was pretty tight.

But like I said, I'm no speedrunner! Once the next video goes live I'll likely treat y'all with a direct link to the boss rush in the current world record run if you want to see how someone can really tear these bosses apart.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

grancheater posted:

Plague Knight is an adorable precious boy and I want to pick him up and hug him.

He is basically the human equivalent of a propeller rat.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Molly Millions posted:

Plague Knight is an adorable precious boy and I want to pick him up and hug him.

He is basically the human equivalent of a propeller rat.

He's wearing a mask and a long cloak that covers his body so we don't even know he's human.

What I'm saying is he's probably three propeller rats standing on each other's shoulders pretending to be a knight.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

It's time our adventure came to an end. Will Shovel Knight emerge victorious against The Enchantress? Only one way to find out:

I mentioned in the video that I'd like to do at least a bonus vid. That's still true! I do want to say here I need to take a bit of a break before that'll come out though. I don't entirely have anything about bonus stuff planned at the moment, but more importantly I am insanely busy for the next week or so dealing with some personal things (they aren't bad things mind you so don't go feeling sorry for me, I'm just very busy!). Sooooo yeah whatever I do for bonus video(s) likely won't come out for another couple weeks while I sort everything out. Just wanted you all to know. :)

Thanks for watching!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
That was fantastic. Now I'm kinda sad I never did finish the game.

Thanks for the great LP, Kaubocks. Amazing job as usual, and looking forward to the next one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw. You didn't show off the super secret way to avoid those horizontal-sine-wave spheres!

You know how duck lowers you by exactly one pixel? Guess what.

Also, I'd agree with you with respect to Shovel Knight and Shield Knight. I just... wish there had been more allusions to it? To them working as a team? Like the way Polar Knight and Shovel Knight have a brief history hinted at through the pre-battle dialogue.

All in all, a good show, regardless.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 8, 2016

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Aw, that last shot still gets to me...like, right here, you know?

Thanks for the LP!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Uh... so what happened to turn Shield Knight into that in the first place?
edit: Kinda interested in the DLC since Plague Knight is one cool guy, maybe just a short showcase of the mechanics and cutscenes? It's still a huge time commitment, though´.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 8, 2016

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The final scene after the credits is really sweet and kind of melancholy, at least to me.

As for what happened to Shield Knight... I think that whatever was in the amulet has the ability to possess people who touch/wear it, and it used her as a vessel for its will. Breaking it released her from its clutches, and released it from the amulet, leading to that sick final boss fight.

I could go for more Shield Knight, though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I really like that Shield Knight is basically Rush to Shovel Knight's Megaman.

The color scheme being the same is just the cherry on top of it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a sucker for any game ending with a flowery calligraphed "The End". :allears:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Samovar posted:

Also, I'd agree with you with respect to Shovel Knight and Shield Knight. I just... wish there had been more allusions to it? To them working as a team? Like the way Polar Knight and Shovel Knight have a brief history hinted at through the pre-battle dialogue.

I'd figured that's basically because they both use shovels tbh. :v:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Kinda interested in the DLC since Plague Knight is one cool guy, maybe just a short showcase of the mechanics and cutscenes? It's still a huge time commitment, though´.

Way back in the intro, Shield Knight found an amulet, and it's immense magical power ended up possessing Shield Knight, turning her into the Enchantress.

XavierGenisi fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 9, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

We picked up a whopping :siren:five:siren: music sheets in this video! Let's check 'em out:

42 - The Forlorn Sanctum
The quiet is disquieting, but your mission must not fail!
"Ah, an avant-garde concerto for violins and sconces, with audience participation. Bravissimo!"

43 - The Possessor
If you could only convince her to listen to reason! Alas... battle it is.
"Say what you will about The Enchantress, but she was great to work with. Gave me this pretty amulet, too!"

44 - The Betrayer
With the amulet shattered and the Enchantress subdued, the true evil is exposed.
"So, helpful tip for my fellow bards: never accept amulets as payment. Trust me. Don't."

45 - A Return to Order
The land is free, and the danger is over. So ends this adventure...
"The Order is vanquished! Hooray! Perhaps now I can afford a studio in this wretched town."

46 - Reprise
One last celebration is in order! For shovelry!
"My original plan was to just 'copy and paste' our main theme, but the horse lady kept staring daggers at me. Sigh..."

anilEhilated posted:

It's only really mentioned once during the intro cutscene but whatever our intrepid heroes did in the Tower of Fate did not go well. Shovel Knight was left unconscious and when he came to Shield Knight was gone. He grieved for her but it turns out the magic of the amulet ended up possessing her and she took on the form and powers of The Enchantress.
(bonus in that image: foreshadowing the liquid samurai!)

Also I'm very, very hesitant to promise anything with regards to Plague Knight. I would love to LP that as well as whatever Specter Knight's campaign ends up being, but I don't know what I could do with it. The story is different, yes, but the stages are all 90% of the same and I would almost immediately run out of things to say. Mechanics talk would probably only float me so far. I'm semi-debating just a long-form stream of it where I can bounce off of someone else but at that point I could only record it at 30 FPS and the quality would take a hit as a result. It's all very very up in the air because if I commit to one piece of DLC I'd like to commit to them all for consistency but I just don't know how to handle them. Maybe just wait for Specter and King to get their campaigns and do a very late bonus video showing off mechanics? I have no idea! :sigh:

Like Clockwork posted:

The final scene after the credits is really sweet and kind of melancholy, at least to me.
I could go for more Shield Knight, though.

I love the limp towards the campfire and how she lays down beside him. That final image has been the wallpaper on my phone for probably over a year now if not more. :3:

Also heck yeah! Shield Knight! I obviously can't vouch for what Yacht Club Games are going to do next, but recently they put out a poll asking fans what they'd like to see for their next game and "Shovel Knight & Shield Knight" was one of the options... so worst case they're probably thinking of things internally.

Samovar posted:

Aw. You didn't show off the super secret way to avoid those horizontal-sine-wave spheres!

You know how duck lowers you by exactly one pixel? Guess what.

...I had no idea...

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 9, 2016

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I have no idea how this would even work, but I kind of think the DLC I'd want most for this game would be the one where you play it as Shield Knight. (Presumably the villain is the Enchanter or something, I dunno.) Plague Knight controls entirely differently from Shovel Knight (and is genuinely terrifying to play as), and I've no doubt that any Shield Knight DLC might work the same way. Maybe they'd have to change the boss fights and such, but I'd pay money for that.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'd -really- love to see the DLC done, but I understand if you're not interested in it. Thanks for the LP! Shovel Knight is a fantastic game.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So what exactly is Black Knight's deal? Was he trying to protect Shield Knight from Shovel Knight or vice versa?

I love that most of the Order of No Quarter got to have happy endings after their defeats. Especially Tinker Knight, he's so adorable.

I'd like to see what the changes are in the DLC. If the levels are all the same we don't need to watch them again but I'd like to see how the other characters play.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

XavierGenisi posted:

Way back in the intro, Shield Knight found an amulet, and it's immense magical power ended up possessing Shield Knight, turning her into the Enchantress.

Sure, it's brief and unspecific, but it's not like NES games where generally known for their exposition.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

vdate posted:

I have no idea how this would even work, but I kind of think the DLC I'd want most for this game would be the one where you play it as Shield Knight. (Presumably the villain is the Enchanter or something, I dunno.) Plague Knight controls entirely differently from Shovel Knight (and is genuinely terrifying to play as), and I've no doubt that any Shield Knight DLC might work the same way. Maybe they'd have to change the boss fights and such, but I'd pay money for that.

Interestingly, when asking what characters should get DLC campaigns, the devs left Shield Knight off of that list. They have promised a gender switch mode, but if all they were doing was swapping sprites and text, surely that would have taken less time to do than Plague Knight's campaign, much less that and Spectre Knight. It makes you wonder...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

White Coke posted:

So what exactly is Black Knight's deal? Was he trying to protect Shield Knight from Shovel Knight or vice versa?
Unless it's shown otherwise I'm assuming he's related to Shield Knight. A brother, maybe.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Unless it's shown otherwise I'm assuming he's related to Shield Knight. A brother, maybe.
I honestly thought "friendzoned" but that might be just because of his anime final phase.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I've always assumed he's the Snape to Shield Knight's Lily Potter. Antagonistic, looks like a bad guy, but ultimately his heart is in the right place.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Yeah I assume he also loves Shield Knight, but lacked the conviction to try and save her and thought the possession was permanent, so he resolved to protect her from afar instead

maybe black knight is just a metaphor for shovel knight's uncertainty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly thought "friendzoned" but that might be just because of his anime final phase.

I sorta assume everyone's already seen these, but in case you have not: (source)

• Locked thread