Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think anyone who stayed on the Harrions Barnes will be good bandwagon deserves plaudits. He looked like a loving useless awful player in the last two sets of playoffs.

There's such a difference between being allowed to hold the ball and think about things and having to make split second decisions as the ball swings around

He's also basically playing 4, which was always his best position. If he starts getting guarded by quick dudes he's going to have trouble.
He really has trouble with quick double teams and can't create for others so I think people will catch on to that. He's also shooting like 60% on long 2s which probably isn't sustainable.

I want him to be good, and he works really hard. Rick C is a good coach. I'm curious to see how he does if/when Dirk returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think anyone who stayed on the Harrions Barnes will be good bandwagon deserves plaudits. He looked like a loving useless awful player in the last two sets of playoffs.
I was one of these people. He is good and destroyed the Clippers whenever we played GS

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

humpthewind posted:

Ah yes thanks. I remember reading that earlier in the thread. I'll continue lurking.

It's cool, we don't actually talk about RC% on the reg, advance stats are Zogo's thing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Is Calvin loving Murphy really talking about clothes making other people look ridiculous

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

straight up brolic posted:

Week 3 Power Rankings a couple days late.

1. LA Clippers Their margin of victory (16.88) is nearly twice the next closest team. Dominant blowouts of Spurs, Trailblazers, and Pistons in past week make a loud case.

2. Atlanta Hawks When you take down the champ, you become the champ (at least in the Eastern conference). This team is extremely solid and can get a winning contribution from any of their starters (except maybe Bazemore) on a given night.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers Squeaker to Philly and loss to Atlanta at home takes them down a peg. Struggle against big teams.

4. Golden State Warriors Have only played four legitimate teams and split the games. If they didn’t have the easiest schedule in the NBA (Pels 2x, Suns), we’d have learned a lot more. Defense and rebounding are massive issues.

5. Charlotte Hornets Playing fantastic team basketball right now. I think this is their ceiling based on talent, but they should be rewarded with a berth in the top-five.

6. Toronto Raptors Demar DeRozan might lead the NBA in scoring.

7. San Antonio Spurs It took the Spurs eight games to lose more games at home this season than they did last. One was an absolute blowout. The defense is not the same.

8. Chicago Bulls There’s going to be a lot of shooting-based variance with this team, but they have the nous and scoring ability to squeak out games against mediocre teams.

9. Houston Rockets Rough start to the season, but James Harden continues to be the best living offensive basketball player. Will shoot themselves into or out of every game this season.

10. OKC Thunder This team cannot score the ball, but their defense and Russell Westbrook will brute force them into games.

11. Utah Jazz Only one good win and a couple of bad losses against good teams. With Hayward back, they should be a tougher out.

12. Detroit Pistons Hard for me to overlook their absolute destruction at the hands of the Clippers. Jon Leuer is their sixth man.

13. Portland Trailblazers Their defense is loving awful. Played a tough schedule.

14. Los Angeles Lakers This team is young…and fun. Gets out and runs a lot, great in transition. Bad defense.

15. Memphis Grizzlies Chandler Parsons is back, but will Marc Gasol be good enough to push them into the playoffs?

16. Boston Celtics This team is better than it has showed, and the injuries haven’t helped, but not a promising start.

17. Indiana Pacers I have no idea what to think about this team.

18. Milwaukee Bucks They’re ok. Defense is solid, but scoring points will be a struggle all season long.

19. Dallas Mavericks Terrible start with poor health, but Harrison Barnes is playing like an all-star right now. With Dirk and Deron Williams back in the mix they should be O K.

20. Denver Nuggets I still like this team. Gary Harris will help.

21. Sacramento Kings Early favorite for the coveted 10th seed in the West.

22. Miami Heat They’ve only played 6 games, and they’ve not been good. But I still think Goran Dragic, Hassan Whiteside, Tyler Johnson, and Justise Winslow is a solid core. SRS says they’re better than their record.

23. Minnesota Timberwolves Every sports writer’s cinderella team is still not good. Despite good individual performances from Towns, Lavine, and Wiggins, they have yet to put it all together with team basketball. Work in progress.

24. New York Knicks Talented, but a loving mess.

25. Brooklyn Nets Not talented, but they play hard.

26. Orlando Magic Won some games and have the back bone of a decent team, but you can’t look pass the worst SRS in the league. Maybe a sneaky lose by twelve for Markelle contender.

27. Washington Wizards This team should be better, but they’re not. John Wall is not getting any better. Full rebuild may be incoming.

28. Phoenix Suns Young, dumb, and their defense makes me numb. So many mistakes.

29. New Orleans Pelicans Anthony Davis is playing out of his mind, but the rest of their team (barring Moore and Hill, I guess) is a phone call away from the D-League. Evans and Holiday cannot return soon enough.

30. Philadelphia 76ers Another year, another 0-for-a lot start. Playing a bit better, but consistently do the little things to snatch victory from the hands of defeat. Will be at least two years until they are above .500.

31. America

I think I end up doing them a day too early, I mean Sunday is the technical start of the week, but there almost always is a big game monday that undercuts my rankings.

I don't mind the Jazz's losses, they're playing for the 8th seed so getting beat by equal or better teams is fine. Also, I think the Blazers are secretly bad. I ranked them well in preseason and week 1 so I watched them a lot and I think the three point shot is covering up a bad team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MourningView posted:

For the record I think the Toxx clause is dumb and I don't enforce it if I think the person is a worthwhile poster

Oh poo poo and here I've been enforcing a toxx on Parm

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
From the Blazers games I've watched it looks like they are good (on offense) when Aminu is hitting 3's. I don't know how they fix their defense though.

I feel like the Jazz should be better, but Hayward is really important to them. Their spacing may be too hosed to be really scary though.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I don't mind a toxx because lowtax needs the money

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Spite posted:

From the Blazers games I've watched it looks like they are good (on offense) when Aminu is hitting 3's. I don't know how they fix their defense though.

It's more about just getting any reliable 3rd contributor. They know they're going to get 40-50 points each night from Lillard and McCollum, but after that ????. Harkless has shown flashes, Aminu and Turner and Crabbe all have their nights, but they don't have anyone to pick up the slack if either of their main guards are struggling.

Ezeli should improve their defense when he gets back since they currently have basically zero rim protection. But it's never gonna be good.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hey Calvin what do you think of Russell Westbrook's clothes?

"I think they make him look ridiculous"
_______________________\

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Sometimes Calvin's clothes make sense to me, other times they are like leopard print and poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I actually love the way Calvin dresses in the same way I love how Craig Sager dresses

I just find it insane that he dresses in these suits and then rants about clothes

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spite posted:

I feel like the Jazz should be better, but Hayward is really important to them.

Good thing he returned a week ago or so. Rodney Hood can only do so much

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jazz don't have george hill for a few games. They haven't had their ideal starting 5 for like more than 1 game.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Here's the whole Inside The NBA Talks Election segment if anyone wanna see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfEIg6yIUmQ

Highlight for me:
-Shaq getting his own age wrong. "I'm 45 years old." (He's 44)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

Jazz don't have george hill for a few games. They haven't had their ideal starting 5 for like more than 1 game.

I hereby declare this the Pelican Conundrum.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Chris Mannix posted:

He studied the work ethic of Kevin Durant, absorbed the confidence of Klay Thompson and Draymond Green, and took note of how hard Kyrie Irving works at getting better at finishing at the rim. He learned leadership, something he says he and Lowry strive to be better at every day.

Well, that explains why DeRozan is setting the world on fire: he's a Monstar!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Last year I was like whoa some of these advanced stats on Julius Randle are kinda eye-popping, he might be low-key very very good or could be bad team anomaly stats but I didn't get to see him play much because I didn't want to watch the Lakers because Byron Scott teams suck to watch. Lakers fans were sounding restrained-hopeful about him, is that outlook improving under Luke Walton? What's his ceiling? All-star? Borderline all-star?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

EvanTH posted:

Last year I was like whoa some of these advanced stats on Julius Randle are kinda eye-popping, he might be low-key very very good or could be bad team anomaly stats but I didn't get to see him play much because I didn't want to watch the Lakers because Byron Scott teams suck to watch. Lakers fans were sounding restrained-hopeful about him, is that outlook improving under Luke Walton? What's his ceiling? All-star? Borderline all-star?
His ceiling is a Paul Millsap (who is very good) that can run the floor a bit better

e: if his jumper ever develops more

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tae posted:

Yeah. Favors missed a couple games to start the season, Heyward just got back, and Hill (who'd been playing like an all star) is out now. It's probably too early to say what they're going to be, assuming they can ever stay healthy (they couldn't last year).

His ceiling is a Paul Millsap (who is very good) that can run the floor a bit better

Offensively maybe, but I don't see him becoming the kind of defensive player Millsap has been.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Oh poo poo and here I've been enforcing a toxx on Parm

Good to see the mods are consistent with each other :)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jack's Flow posted:

Well, that explains why DeRozan is setting the world on fire: he's a Monstar!

Demar's gotta have the best learning tool in recent NBA history. We reached "this is the best he's gonna be" with him like four to five years ago, but he's found a way to get better every year since then.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Why is Tim Hardaway not terrible dogshit? I am not comfortable.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jrue Holliday will make his return in a few days.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Why is Tim Hardaway not terrible dogshit? I am not comfortable.

He went from being Real Bad (BPM -4.1 with the Knicks) to being a replacement-level player, VORP of 0.1 and positive offensive contribution. Good coaching I guess?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

Offensively maybe, but I don't see him becoming the kind of defensive player Millsap has been.

My comp for him always was David Lee pre-injuries, but probably somewhat better defensively. I am committing the sin of comparing players across race.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Wasn't Millsap not a good defender, but a good rebounder his first few years? Maybe I'm misremembering, but Randle is definitely bad on that end right now

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Julius is logging a lot of points in the "square up" category so far this season, and I love that poo poo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/797104115717435392

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Wasn't Millsap not a good defender, but a good rebounder his first few years? Maybe I'm misremembering, but Randle is definitely bad on that end right now

Not right away but he got good fairly soon. The fact that he tended to share a front court with Okur or Boozer did not help.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Randle has the dreaded short arms and is doomed to wander the earth as Anthony Davis drives past him for an easy 2 and a trip to the line

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
King James announces he might not go back to the White House if he wins another title.
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/11/11/lebron-james-white-house-visit-president-donald-trump?xid=socialflow_facebook_si
LeBron is better than Jordan.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spacebump posted:

King James announces he might not go back to the White House if he wins another title.
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/11/11/lebron-james-white-house-visit-president-donald-trump?xid=socialflow_facebook_si

Republicans also buy sneakers; however, they are overwhelmingly 608s

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Spacebump posted:

I'm always amazed how well Bron handles these kind of things. Perfect answers to the obvious bait questions

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Declan MacManus posted:

Randle has the dreaded short arms and is doomed to wander the earth as Anthony Davis drives past him for an easy 2 and a trip to the line

He got baptized by Lance Stephenson and it got me out of my chair

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Duggler posted:

I'm always amazed how well Bron handles these kind of things. Perfect answers to the obvious bait questions

I mean he's been giving press conferences and talking to reporters since he was like 16. But anyway yes LeBron continues to rule.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Randle's still a bad defender but he was a much worse defender last year, so the fact that he's improved to the point he is at least in OK position makes me think it's not a lost cause.

Declan MacManus posted:

Short arms just mean he can never be great, but one still plays defense with their legs and positioning, and he could get to average or slightly good (or great after all if the refs decide to just let him hit people at some point).

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 11, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Glen Taylor is apparently fighting to remove the limit on how many max rookie contract extensions you can hand out in the next CBA.

Can't imagine why.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kobe revealed that he had to learn the Iliad inLatin at age 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Henchman of Santa posted:

Kobe revealed that he had to learn the Iliad inLatin at age 10

quote:

And not from merely a documentary perspective, but from a fantasy perspective, from a mythology perspective. What are those stories that we can use to teach the next generation of athletes?

After retirement, Kobe stops trying to surpass Michael Jordan and takes on his next greatest idol: J.R.R. Tolkien.

e: and having Smush Parker as his point guard was his Battle of the Somme

• Locked thread