Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Dongs made that post after MMT had already posted their read of dongs, this is not the same situation. I don't really like this characterization that you and TM have given Somber's case because it seems pretty clear to me that they aren't the same.

This isn't really true.

dongs comes in and votes Keane with his second post of the game. ~24 hours later MMT votes dongs here quoting his two posts which consist of "I'm going to lurk" and his Keane vote:

Murmur Twin posted:

##unvote
##vote chores

I can't help but think that chores isn't going to contribute to this game so I have no issues voting there until I'm proven wrong.

Somber then questions MMT for voting a lurker and MMT responds with:

Murmur Twin posted:

I stand by it. If it helps there's a meta element of "I've only ever seen town chores and he usually :justpost:s" but I'm not going to feel bad about voting someone whose only post since the game has started is a contentless vote.

So the primary reason MMT is voting for dongs is that he isn't going to contribute to the game and the meta element is secondary. I have absolutely no problem with that because someone lurking as hard as dongs right now should absolutely be voted out early. Keeping him in the game makes the whole game much more difficult than if we had just voted him out on D1 even though we wouldn't really get any real information from the lynch.

I'm not a huge fan of a shitposting dongs, but this lurking one is much worse. None of it helps town at all and the longer a lurker stays in the game, the harder it is to lynch him because you never know if you're lynching a scum or if he's being pushed by scum for being a lurker.

Given the current state of the game, I'd much rather engage in the Ecco Gambit because 6 of the 15 people signed up for this game haven't even posted as much as the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And yes, that means I would also absolutely vote out MMT. However, I just don't like the way Somber has made his case against her and I think he is actually scum.

However, games like this where people just aren't posting are garbage because it just ends up being a few people arguing against each other.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Max, what do you think of Somber saying that Ernie was the only viable target when MMT made her vote?

I've pointed out that at the time MMT made her dongs vote, Ernie only had 2 votes on him.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

TMMadman posted:

Also, Max, what do you think of Somber saying that Ernie was the only viable target when MMT made her vote?

I've pointed out that at the time MMT made her dongs vote, Ernie only had 2 votes on him.

Let me go back and look at the time stamps.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Let me go back and look at the time stamps.

It's on page 6 (assuming max posts per page). MMTs vote comes just a few posts after PMom votes for Ernie. Pmom is the second vote on Ernie.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I mean, there was something lazily inevitable about the Ernie lunch given how cagey people have been and how close we were to deadline at that point. But there was nothing saying MMT couldn't come back and switch their vote, so yeah, I don't buy that argument.

TMMadman posted:

This isn't really true.

dongs comes in and votes Keane with his second post of the game. ~24 hours later MMT votes dongs here quoting his two posts which consist of "I'm going to lurk" and his Keane vote:

Somber then questions MMT for voting a lurker and MMT responds with:

So the primary reason MMT is voting for dongs is that he isn't going to contribute to the game and the meta element is secondary. I have absolutely no problem with that because someone lurking as hard as dongs right now should absolutely be voted out early. Keeping him in the game makes the whole game much more difficult than if we had just voted him out on D1 even though we wouldn't really get any real information from the lynch.

I'm not a huge fan of a shitposting dongs, but this lurking one is much worse. None of it helps town at all and the longer a lurker stays in the game, the harder it is to lynch him because you never know if you're lynching a scum or if he's being pushed by scum for being a lurker.

Given the current state of the game, I'd much rather engage in the Ecco Gambit because 6 of the 15 people signed up for this game haven't even posted as much as the mod.

We may be talking past each other. I don't have a real bead on dongs but I think based on what was going on at the time, I think that was a fairly weak justification to lay one down on him. I'm more arguing that saying "Well MMT is also lurking so it's like Somber is making the same argument that MMT made about dongs" is wrong.

That said, I think MMT should come back and actually respond at this point. The last thing she posted was asking me a question, and that was a while ago.

I do agree there are too many people simply not posting and that is super duper lame.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tired Moritz posted:

I kinda understand the MMT's votes but eh, I don't really buy it. And actually Sombre's vote on them is kinda weird, since MMT's lurking a bit as well and they said that lynching lurkers wouldn't provide much information. Kinda confusing to be against voting lurkers because it provides less info and then vote to kill a lurker.

I probably should have addressed my statement more to TM, because they were the one coming out with this argument.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TMMadman posted:

i said that about dick bastard, not mmt.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

sure ##unvote
##vote murmur twin

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Somberbrero posted:

i said that about dick bastard, not mmt.

Well then I misunderstood you since we were talking about dongsbot at the time. And I wouldn't really label what Dick did as a case so much as just a vote with an short reason attached.

The difference in my mind is that Dick wasn't trying to start a train on someone which is what I consider a case. When they are jumping on the middle of a train it's just a vote with reasons.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

sure ##unvote
##vote murmur twin

Oh look, another lazy Pmom vote.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Max posted:

Like, MMT saying lets get rid of a lurker and Somber saying lets get rid of MMT for pushing a lurker case are two different things here. That MMT is also lurking is incidental to that case.

How is it incidental??

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Oh look, another lazy Pmom vote.

vote me bi*ch

Max
Nov 30, 2002

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

How is it incidental??

Because Somber is making an argument that MMT was pushing a lazy lurker case, not that MMT was lurking. How does MMT suddenly lurking impact Somber's initial point?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

vote me bi*ch

I already did once stupid. I would have no problem going back to it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

How is it incidental??

because my first point was made independent of murmur's later activity.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

to clarify, the db case seems bad to me because ernie was our only viable target at that point.

i don't see the confusion there but alright.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
birch tree

:c: Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

Murmur Twin (3): Somber, Keane, -Somber, Somber, PMom

Pinterest Mom (2): Moat, TMM
Tired Moritz (2): Ernie, -Ernie, TremTa, stickup

Ernie (1): Max, PMom, Dick, Moritz, Somber, -Max, -Moritz, -Somber, -PMom
Asiina (1): Ernie
CCKeane (1): MMT, chores, TremTa, -MMT, -TremTa
chores (1): MMT
TMMadman (1): Max, -Max, Anon
Dick Bastardly (1): Max

Moatillata (0): stickup, PMom, Moat, -Moat, -PMom, -stickup
Max (0): TMM, -TMM

:h: With 15 alive it takes 8 votes to execute.
:d: Day 1 deadline: Thursday, November 17th, ~11PM EST. That's in about 11 hours from this post.

Note: TMM wins the coveted "first to forget to unvote in an ecco game" award. His prize is his vote staying on PMom :toot: :cheers: :woop:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Somberbrero posted:

i don't see the confusion there but alright.

Because we were in the middle of an argument regarding dongsbot, so when you said db I just assumed that is who you were referencing.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
ooh, sure. okay.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

Note: TMM wins the coveted "first to forget to unvote in an ecco game" award. His prize is his vote staying on PMom :toot: :cheers: :woop:

Wow I've been had

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

:laffo:

##unvote
##vote Somber

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
who is dongsbot

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

TMMadman posted:

No, Ernie wasn't the only viable target when MMT made the dongbot case. That is a flat out lie.

There were two votes on Ernie when MMT voted for dongs.

You're being very disingenuous this game Somber and I really do think you're scum here, so I'm going to ##vote Somber

For all you're talk about not wanting to lynch a lurker, MMT isn't that much better than a lurker at this point. She has all of 10 posts more than dongs at this time and the only real point you have against her is that she made a meta case on D1 against dongs.

Hi folks, I'm back and I'd like to apologize for the lurking. I've had a pretty rough real-life couple of days and needed to take care of some stuff (it's in the blog) before I felt comfortable playing an online game.

got some chores tonight posted:

The other name I was very confident on (other than CCKeane) was, in fact, MurmurTwin so I'd be fine switching to that.

Why Keane? Why me?

Somberbrero posted:

i can point out where mmt's case is fundamentally unsound, and i have. i can't do the same for dongs.

you are being so obtuse! how does you thinking i'm wrong correlate to alignment?

Apologies again for the lurking :eng99: I promise I'd feel bad about that regardless of alignment.

But how is it that my voting dongs for (at the time) "until he contributes more, he's either scum or, best case scenario, dead weight" is fundamentally unsound, but chores throwing out votes with no explanation is fine and dandy?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Reasons. Ask me after the game if you want to know.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
chores vote sucks, to be clear, but lurking has no correlation to alignment. we want to kill scum and killing lurkers isn't the same thing.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Somberbrero posted:

chores vote sucks, to be clear, but lurking has no correlation to alignment. we want to kill scum and killing lurkers isn't the same thing.

But letting lurker live and hoping that scum kill them for you is also a surefire way to lose the game.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

your original point has no connection to alignment and the meta argument seems like fake justification after the fact.

##vote murmur twin

Somberbrero posted:

mmt made a case against chores that was two points

a) lurking
b) meta

a lurker dunk is extremely silly d1. lurking has no connection to alignment and it puts us in an awkward position in terms of information d2.

i'd also say that mmt has hardly been more active, which i don't think fits with her meta either.

##unvote
##vote murmur twin

Somberbrero posted:

why did we spend so long talking about lurkers if that's not an element of her case? why can you not see why it's so much stranger for mmt to be calling out behaviors she sees as scummy when she is participating in them?

##unvote
##vote Somber

Somber's scum.

It's not so much that I'm suspicious of the conflicting ideas of "lurking isn't indicative of alignment" and "Murmur called out someone for lurking and then lurked herself".

I think he's scum acting way too sure of himself for d1 - the case on me is based on blowing up my first case of the game. There's no way he organically came to the conlusion that I'm scum and chores is town based on our posting.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

I am having a problem because I don't want to drop my character but I am having writers block every time I sit down and try to tap something out so I end up not posting. :(

While I'm extremely sympathetic to the plight of writers block, at some point it would be nice to hear some opinions :)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Reasons. Ask me after the game if you want to know.

What's the pro-town reason for not sharing your cases?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

What's the pro-town reason to engage in conversation w/ a scum?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

What's the pro-town reason to engage in conversation w/ a scum?

I don't know if you're town or scum. I'm engaging you in conversation to determine your alignment.

Murmur Twin posted:

What's the pro-town reason for not sharing your cases?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

There is one (1) reason to talk to a scum, and that's to provide an organic conversation you can point to so other players will feel more confident that you are not a scum once the scum player flips. I feel like this brief exchange is probably enough to cover that.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TMMadman posted:

But letting lurker live and hoping that scum kill them for you is also a surefire way to lose the game.

aaaaHHHHHHHHH

Murmur Twin posted:

I think he's scum acting way too sure of himself for d1 - the case on me is based on blowing up my first case of the game. There's no way he organically came to the conlusion that I'm scum and chores is town based on our posting.

HHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGHHHH

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Somberbrero posted:

aaaaHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGHHHH

OK. So what is your suggestion to deal with lurkers?

Do you think we should just let them live and hope scum kills them for us? What do you do with them in the late game?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean seriously, if he's not loving trying to help town then there is no loving reason to keep him around. Lurker absolutely suck and I'd rather lose a game by voting the biggest lurker every day than having a crap shoot at the end of the game with them around.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

MMT posting. That is good for the game.

I still think she is a bad.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I don't like going after lurkers D1 unless it's to provoke a response and participation from them.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Madman, do you draw a distinction between non-posting versus low-content/low-volume of posts in a given day? How do you define lurking exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

why are you leaning so much into an argument that's obviously untrue

of course lurking is correlated with alignment.

• Locked thread