Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

why are you leaning so much into an argument that's obviously untrue

of course lurking is correlated with alignment.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

asiina.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

do you think if we took a sample of, say

you and me

our post counts would be higher when we're town than when we're scum, on average

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm a special case.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

sure but you exist and you're driving the correlation

i have a very strong prior belief, having not done the actual data gathering etc, that people are more likely to lurk as scum than as town

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

do you think if we took a sample of, say

you and me

our post counts would be higher when we're town than when we're scum, on average

You, maybe.

Me, most likely although I do lurk as town sometimes like I ended up leading town (to crushing defeat) in cloaks but barely posted for two entire gamedays.

Some people play scum by going on the offensive and just posting so many goddamn words that your eyes just glaze over (see Kash and Madman in Ecco's soldiers game)

Some people lurk no matter what. Some people only shitpost as one or the other alignment.

There's no one hard and fast rule.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also if we're going to bring stats into this, you can't use correlation, which works in the aggregate, to bring down to individual behaviour where just cause there's a correlation that means any one person's postcount is telling of their alignment.

Also, I mean, if we're really going to stats this up, you shouldn't do correlations with a categorical variable, an ANOVA would be more appropriate.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm just saying P(scum|lurking) > P(scum), not that P(scum|lurking) = 0.8 or whatever

e for notation

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 17, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

incidentally,

P(scum|math) > P(scum), for me

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 17, 2016

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
:psyboom:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

sure but you exist and you're driving the correlation

i have a very strong prior belief, having not done the actual data gathering etc, that people are more likely to lurk as scum than as town

making lurkers a priority dunk target seems like a good way to lose quickly.

yes, scum lurk. so do town.

TMMadman posted:

OK. So what is your suggestion to deal with lurkers?

Do you think we should just let them live and hope scum kills them for us? What do you do with them in the late game?

i think

that we should kill the players

who seem most likely to be scum

if at some point i feel better about the active posters than i do about a low-content poster who, i guess,

hasn't been modkilled or replaced

then i would dunk that lurker.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

Madman, do you draw a distinction between non-posting versus low-content/low-volume of posts in a given day? How do you define lurking exactly?

I'll open this question unto anyone who wants to put their two cents on it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
boy oh boy what a productive conversation this push has fostered. hey, anyone want to talk about millers while we're at it?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Dick Bastardly posted:

I'll open this question unto anyone who wants to put their two cents on it.

fewer posts than the mod. or 'i know it when i see it.'

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

aaaaHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGHHHH

I feel like I usually enjoy Somber's game presence when he's town and that he comes off as really aggressive when he's scum.

(This is partially the truth and partially me playfully trolling Somber with a meta read :j:)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

##unvote
##vote Somber

Somber's scum.

It's not so much that I'm suspicious of the conflicting ideas of "lurking isn't indicative of alignment" and "Murmur called out someone for lurking and then lurked herself".

I think he's scum acting way too sure of himself for d1 - the case on me is based on blowing up my first case of the game. There's no way he organically came to the conlusion that I'm scum and chores is town based on our posting.

this is ridiculous because of course i'm not sure. i'm making an educated guess.

i don't know if chores is town but i don't see an argument for him being scum because no one has made one. the argument for him is that he's a lurker and let me say it again,

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

J don't be a lunatic

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

this is ridiculous because of course i'm not sure. i'm making an educated guess.

I think the case was fine for an educated guess, I just find it suspicious how hard you're pushing it that given that it was mostly based on my first two game-related posts.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

I think the case was fine for an educated guess, I just find it suspicious how hard you're pushing it that given that it was mostly based on my first two game-related posts.

oh okay let me try this. :( game is hard. could be murmur twin idk idk. maybe asiina? she's engaging speculative game theory arguments but not making many if any calls to alignment, ah geez i'm not sure. why is she just talking about maths instead of scubs?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Murmur Twin posted:

"Your case was based on my posts" is an odd bone to pick

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Murmur Twin posted:

How do you feel about Ernie?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

oh okay let me try this. :( game is hard. could be murmur twin idk idk. maybe asiina? she's engaging speculative game theory arguments but not making many if any calls to alignment, ah geez i'm not sure. why is she just talking about maths instead of scubs?

Math is good and cool.

Also I agree with you and I don't think ur scummy.

I dunno, I've had a super rough night and day and may replace out depending what happens when I go back to the vet in about an hour to see if I can bring my cat home.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I feel like that I've been dominating the rhetoric in a lot of games I play, especially in the early game, so I decided to take a step back and let other voices chime in. To my surprise, I am still the dominant point of conversation in this game. How exciting. I don't want to overtly insert my commentary to a very interesting discussion, but I would like to emphasize that I publicly made two alignment calls, even if I am withholding the cases for now, and have demonstrated my involvement of the game by promptly responding to things I feel necessary to respond. Why are lurkers bad? Because they don't pay attention to the game, and because they're difficult to read. I'll continue following the game, nominating individuals I suspect are scummy, and generally having opinions for you to form your opinions on whether I'm towny or scummy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
chores, could you please make a succinct argument for keane? like, anything at all.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lmao

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I think "He's a rogue cop, with nothing to lose" says it all.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Wow this is like a super serious day 1. It's hard to keep up with this many wordy posts.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Seriously though, I think I know where Keane might be going with that, but I think it would be spoiled if discussed openly. At least for today.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I am also interested to see what Chores has to say, if anything more, on Keane.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Chores is envious of my good looks. You might say they are...roguish good looks.

The good looks of a rogue cop with nothing to lose.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CCKeane posted:

I'd back you.

##vote MMT

As a rogue cop with nothing to lose, I'm comfortable revealing MMT's dark secret: She was behind deflategate.

CCKeane posted:

What's your case on MMT again? I remember thinking "hhmmmmm yes" but I forget the details and as a rogue cop with nothing to lose, I'm very lazy.

alright, so looking back through keane i get the argument. it's hard because he loves to gently caress around, especially early, but there are a ton of white-noise contentless posts he makes over the course of the game that give the illusion of contribution without actually putting forward any real opinions. i've highlighted another issue here, i'm a little confused why he backed up the murmur vote without having an actual read on here? or being able to remember the case?

i'd put murmur first, followed by keane, with ernie as a distant third. i'm giving asiina a pass today if she has poo poo going on(almost like there are sometimes oot factors that influence posting volume that don't correlate to alignment? must investigate further)

as frustrating as i find tmm's posting i do think he's town. it feels like we're just talking past each other.

i'd like to see some actual reads from other players though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Dick Bastardly posted:

I am also interested to see what Chores has to say, if anything more, on Keane.

hey dick, top three scum picks and why. doesn't have to be long.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Wow this is like a super serious day 1. It's hard to keep up with this many wordy posts.

a lot of words saying nothing.

top three scum picks and why please. if you can't think of three i will accept a cash donation as well.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Somberbrero posted:

alright, so looking back through keane i get the argument. it's hard because he loves to gently caress around, especially early, but there are a ton of white-noise contentless posts he makes over the course of the game that give the illusion of contribution without actually putting forward any real opinions. i've highlighted another issue here, i'm a little confused why he backed up the murmur vote without having an actual read on here? or being able to remember the case?

i'd put murmur first, followed by keane, with ernie as a distant third. i'm giving asiina a pass today if she has poo poo going on(almost like there are sometimes oot factors that influence posting volume that don't correlate to alignment? must investigate further)

as frustrating as i find tmm's posting i do think he's town. it feels like we're just talking past each other.

i'd like to see some actual reads from other players though.

I didn't forget your case I wanted you to restate it, for my own mysterious purposes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CCKeane posted:

I didn't forget your case I wanted you to restate it, for my own mysterious purposes.

well that's less than reassuring

i have mystical engagements later this evening so i most likely won't be here for deadline, it'd be great if we could get a consensus going now.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

Murmur Twin (3): Somber, Keane, -Somber, Somber, PMom

Tired Moritz (2): Ernie, -Ernie, TremTa, stickup
Somberbrero (2): TMM, MMT

Ernie (1): Max, PMom, Dick, Moritz, Somber, -Max, -Moritz, -Somber, -PMom
Asiina (1): Ernie
CCKeane (1): MMT, chores, TremTa, -MMT, -TremTa
TMMadman (1): Max, -Max, Anon
Dick Bastardly (1): Max
Pinterest Mom (1): Moat, TMM, -TMM

Moatillata (0): stickup, PMom, Moat, -Moat, -PMom, -stickup
Max (0): TMM, -TMM
chores (0): MMT, -MMT

:h: With 15 alive it takes 8 votes to execute.
:d: Day 1 deadline: Thursday, November 17th, ~11PM EST. That's in a little more than 6 hours from this post.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

there aren't a lot of people i wouldn't vote for rn really

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Somberbrero posted:

hey dick, top three scum picks and why. doesn't have to be long.

Did a re-read and to be honest I can't say I see anything that jumps out at me as "oh yeah, 100% scum slam dunk" material. I've cooled on Ernie, I appreciate the list he put up and after reading it again I've decided to ##unvote

I don't really like Pmom's play so far, his voting feels very opportunistic to me. The only content with any real weight seems to revolve around an argument about a correlation of scumminess to lurkiness, which isn't a great argument imo but especially D1 when it isn't even apparent that lurkiness is habitual or damaging to town in any case thus far.

Fisk's insistence on votes for Ernie being bad kind of feel like a scumbro attempting to take the pressure off of another scumbro, because at that time in the game, I don't think those votes were that bad based on the information we had to go on. I'd really like to see more participation by Fisk (by participation, I mean actual reads/cases).

I'd also like to call out Moat for some sore substantial contributions to the hunt.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

right, that guy
i'd vote for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

wait i thought db was tm i might not want to vote db

but this was still real bad:

Tired Moritz posted:

##unvote

Okay Ernie just made a post that doesn't made me go 'wtf am I reading" so he's good in my eyes.

• Locked thread