Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Looking forward to all of you getting sick of the monster closets in Heretic. Originally came up with eight deaths, but put me down for 23 just so I can be unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Let's start this thing!

Heretic Part 1/6

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Oh man, the Dragon's Claw! It used to freak the gently caress out of me as a kid, since I thought it (the sprite) fused both your hands/arms together; inscrutable horse's first brush with body-horror :magical:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Man, this game is way uglier than I remembered. Also the fight for your life moment with the improved staff at one health is hilarious.

What happened to Red and Coffee? Sandy Petersen got them for making fun of his level design choices?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Yes, excellent one health power prodding there.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
ok....is this the right lp this time? Good.

Little tidbits of info

1. ghost form - ghost enemies are also immune to the secondary bolts from the crossbow. Only the main ball hits them. Also the upgraded staff will hit them.

2. Lightning gloves - you can hit the golems safely if you hit backwards while doing so. It takes some practice since the gloves want to "suck" you into the golems but you'll save a lot of ammo this way

3. Champion enemies are actually separate enemy types according to the game so you can infact start monster wars between them and there normal counterparts. They even have unique names. Off the top of my head the skull flinging golem is called NitroGolem. I don't remember what the fireball imp is off the top of my head.

I might know this game too well now, also I like the music in this game too.

Also also, if you think the level design in this game is confusing, I can't wait till we get to Hexen :getin:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 9, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Heretic was the first FPS game I ever played so this is an awesome nostalgia trip for me. The music of the first two levels are just seared in my brain.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 9, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so I never thought of this but ... in Jedi knight 2 (an Id tech 2 game by Raven) there is a weapon called the wookee bowcaster. Its primary fire a single green energy bolt, or you can charge it up and it will shoot up to 5 green energy bolts. That's got to be a reference to Heretic, right? Right?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

double nine posted:

so I never thought of this but ... in Jedi knight 2 (an Id tech 2 game by Raven) there is a weapon called the wookee bowcaster. Its primary fire a single green energy bolt, or you can charge it up and it will shoot up to 5 green energy bolts. That's got to be a reference to Heretic, right? Right?

Probably. I always thought the ethereal bow was a shout out to the bowcaster in the first place, but the bowcaster shooting multiple green shots might be a recursive reference.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The Wookiee Bowcaster showed up in the original trilogy, which came out some 15 years prior to this game... I don't think it's a reference to the crossbow in Heretic. Granted I don't think we ever see it fire but I'm sure someone, somewhere has written their graduating thesis on it and covers all it's firing modes.

That was a pretty brutal first level though, it really forces you to make every shot count in the beginning. Not sure who thought that was a good idea.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That was a pretty brutal first level though, it really forces you to make every shot count in the beginning. Not sure who thought that was a good idea.

John Romero, I guess.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

John Romero, I guess.

You gotta learn how to use the lightning gloves. Also, you can use the staff safely on non-projectile imps and golems by dancing in and out of melee range which can save you ammo while you look for the gloves.

You can kill a lot of enemies with them relatively safely if you know what you're doing.

Use a tome of power/invincibility item and you can throw the safety part out to the winds. The tome with gauntlets combo is nigh-invincibility. Tome of powers work best with the gauntlets since (other than the wand) the other powered up weapons chew through WAY more ammo than normal, to the point that I wonder if it's worth it most of the time.

The lack of hitscan enemies in this game makes getting to melee distance a lot easier/safer.

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 9, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The Wookiee Bowcaster showed up in the original trilogy, which came out some 15 years prior to this game... I don't think it's a reference to the crossbow in Heretic. Granted I don't think we ever see it fire but I'm sure someone, somewhere has written their graduating thesis on it and covers all it's firing modes.
Chewie fires it in Empire Strikes Back when they're inside the giant space slug! It also fires a red beam instead of a green one.

:goonsay:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

Chewie fires it in Empire Strikes Back when they're inside the giant space slug! It also fires a red beam instead of a green one.

:goonsay:

Yeah, hence why I think it's a recursive shout-out.

crossbow that shoots energy beams - sounds like a shout out to star wars. But they made it different enough (green bolt + multishot)

Star wars games - crossbow is now shooting green multishots - sounds like a shout out to heretic.

I mean, I'm probably wrong in some way, but it sounds like it might make sense.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Well, Raven Software did make both Heretic and Jedi Knight II.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This game is really cool. I've never actually played it (although I did play Hexen), but it seems like such a jump from Doom to this. There's all this cool new stuff, which is actually just iterations on previous stuff but is packaged in a way that makes it seem a lot more exciting than it is.

And I really like how you lose most of your inventory at the end of the level. I'm pretty sure it would have annoyed the poo poo out of me if I played It when it came out, but having played so many games that I finished with a full inventory of stuff I was saving "for when I really need it", I appreciate a game that just says "use it or lose it".

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, like I mentioned in the video, if you find it out in the open, its probably got a use nearby or right at that moment. If you find it in a secret, its usually okay to bank it for a bad situation.

I'm still a hopeless hoarder regardless.

:negative:

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Angry Lobster posted:

Man, this game is way uglier than I remembered. Also the fight for your life moment with the improved staff at one health is hilarious.

What happened to Red and Coffee? Sandy Petersen got them for making fun of his level design choices?

Well Coffee's back for Heretic!
Heretic Part 2/6

Red needed a bit of a break from recording.

mauman posted:

ok....is this the right lp this time? Good.

Little tidbits of info

1. ghost form - ghost enemies are also immune to the secondary bolts from the crossbow. Only the main ball hits them. Also the upgraded staff will hit them.

2. Lightning gloves - you can hit the golems safely if you hit backwards while doing so. It takes some practice since the gloves want to "suck" you into the golems but you'll save a lot of ammo this way

3. Champion enemies are actually separate enemy types according to the game so you can infact start monster wars between them and there normal counterparts. They even have unique names. Off the top of my head the skull flinging golem is called NitroGolem. I don't remember what the fireball imp is off the top of my head.

I might know this game too well now, also I like the music in this game too.

Also also, if you think the level design in this game is confusing, I can't wait till we get to Hexen :getin:

Thanks for this! That's some useful info there.

Also, for some reason, I'm way more familiar with Hexen than Heretic. Ironically, I think the Hexen playthrough will go much more smoothly.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
If memory serves, ghost form Knights only throw red axes. Given that a red axe deals twice(?) the damage of a green axe it's not much fun to fight a cluster of ghost Knights unless you have enough firepower and/or open space to deal with them comfortably.

Something else of note is that thrown axes can't harm a normal Knight and those same axes harmlessly pass through a ghost, just like the non-Tome side bolts from the crossbow. If you get a ghost Knight to in-fight with a normal Knight though, they can damage each other with their melee attacks. Apparently the axe stops being magical once it is thrown.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Falconer posted:

If memory serves, ghost form Knights only throw red axes. Given that a red axe deals twice(?) the damage of a green axe it's not much fun to fight a cluster of ghost Knights unless you have enough firepower and/or open space to deal with them comfortably.

Something else of note is that thrown axes can't harm a normal Knight and those same axes harmlessly pass through a ghost, just like the non-Tome side bolts from the crossbow. If you get a ghost Knight to in-fight with a normal Knight though, they can damage each other with their melee attacks. Apparently the axe stops being magical once it is thrown.

Nah....normal knights can throw the red axes too.

Temin_Dump posted:

Thanks for this! That's some useful info there.

As always, glad to be helpful :downs:

I also totally failed to notice the little alcove where the blue key is on that level too back in the day.

Ahhhhhh memories.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 13, 2016

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

mauman posted:

Nah....normal knights can throw the red axes too.

I worded that poorly. What I meant is that the only type of axe a ghost Knight will throw is the red one, at least I don't remember ever seeing them throw a green one. Normal knights throw something like 75% green axes, 25% red axes.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ah - the good old days when you could cheese the gently caress out of any boss if you knew what you were doing. That'd be much more of a cheap thing to do (on Temin's part) if the devs hadn't immediately followed what would ordinarily be a fairly challenging fight with teleporting a group of ranged enemies behind you and forced you to run into a jam packed monster closet with no health or ammo.

This game seems to have a wildly inconsistent difficulty curve though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This game seems to have a wildly inconsistent difficulty curve though.

It banks heavily on being able to save, not doing so invites hilariously bullshit moments to get you and set you back to a "pistol" start.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Your Lands of Lore talk got blared out by the magic chaingun glove, what was Coffee trying to say?

E:

And while I've always known it's a glove, the curve sure makes it look too phallic to unsee.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 15, 2016

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
My only Heretic-related anecdote is: In December 1994 I was fresh on my very first shell account. We knew Rise of the Triad and Heretic were coming soon. On December 20, on a lark, I went to IRC - for the very first time - and thanks to some "beginners guide to the internet" book I had, I knew that channels began with #, so I typed /join #heretic. And in the topic was the FTP location of the leaked Heretic beta. And thus my BBS was probably the first one, at least in the DC area, to have Heretic available for download.

The timeline:
December 20: Heretic beta
December 21: Rise of the Triad
December 23: Heretic

it was a good week.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Heretic Part 3/6

THE BAR posted:

Your Lands of Lore talk got blared out by the magic chaingun glove, what was Coffee trying to say?

Sorry about that. He was saying that Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny was similar to Doom in some ways.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

CLNK is short for Clink.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Actually, I 'd say that the Saberclaws are stronger than Pinkies if only because YOU CAN'T STUN LOCK THEM (using the gauntlets on them successfully requires a lot of skill, but it can be done if you're good at pulling away from targets).

The weredragons are surprisingly weak to the gauntlets. I wouldn't try using them against a group, but I can kill one or two with little to no health loss. They're weak to the stun effect, and rarely get a shot in while being zapped (disclaimer, it can still happen but it seems unlikely)

Also, with just a tome of power you can normally take out Iron Liches with just the gauntlets (though it requires a little luck due to that damned whirlwind). I've managed to take out 3 before with one book.

I think I have a problem.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 16, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Temin_Dump posted:

Sorry about that. He was saying that Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny was similar to Doom in some ways.

No sweat. Although I wouldn't call it that (maybe that it lacks the grid-based movement system of its predecessor, kinda), I'm more shocked that you two haven't tried the series yet. The first always comes to mind, when I'm making a list of the best RPGs on any system.

Westwood Studios were something else back in their prime.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
They really were, but I only came in at Dune 2 and stayed for their RTS's. My loss. :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thyrork posted:

They really were, but I only came in at Dune 2 and stayed for their RTS's. My loss. :smith:
March into hell! :black101:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
It looks like hell...

Froze over

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Thyrork posted:

Nox was fantastic and it's a drat shame they don't make ARPGs this fast and furious nowadays.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey there!
Heretic Part 4/6

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

On the subject of demos, yep Doom engine demos are just a sequence of inputs. Actually similar to how TAS runs are produced, in that you can essentially edit a demo to end up with a perfect game -- as long as it gets played back by the exactly right version of the game. Oddly, the precision of inputs in a demo recording are different from the precision when playing the game live, so there may also be some "rounding errors" introduced at times.

The next ID tech changes that, however! To solve the desync problem, they make a recording not of what the player does, but of what happens in the game world: The position and status of every single entity is recorded for every frame. This gives a wholly different set of opportunities for demo editing, but that's another story :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thanks for the shout-out, Temin :)

Heretweak changes a couple of other things, aside from the weapons. It also gives the Time Bomb of the Ancients a more grenade-like trajectory, and makes all health items use-on-pickup, so you don't end up with a hoard of Quartz Flasks that you forget to use. It does change the dynamics of the gameplay, but not in a huge way.

I like it, but I'm sure the Heretic purists out there would hate it.

E: Just to make it clear, I have no involvement in the mod, I just like it a lot.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 20, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KozmoNaut posted:

makes all health items use-on-pickup, so you don't end up with a hoard of Quartz Flasks that you forget to use.

That sounds like a downgrade to me, because health items you can carry with you are a great solution to the issue you have in Doom and similar games of barely surviving an encounter and knowing that there's a bunch of health way back at the start of the level, but you don't want to go all the way back and get it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this but it seems like YouTube is throttling the resolution/bandwidth of your videos and seemingly only your videos. I can barely get them streaming consistently at 480p but this does not happen for other videos on YouTube.

eta: Actually it just seems to be happening everywhere inconsistently? :shrug:

eta2: No, it's only this video and only when uBlock is on, which is bizarre because nothing else I watch on YouTube has this issue. Whatever.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 20, 2016

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If john elf heretic is really short, is the next episode set in one of those fancy hamster habitats with all the tubes and domes?

Maybe it's just Hampture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
What the gently caress is wrong with that water