Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
how do i powergame this? kensai style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Furism posted:

rope kid posted this on Twitter. If that's not Deadfire Archipelo then it's a troll. https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/799702830193836032

Can't wait to fight Gyarados.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if you mean how to make a fighter mage then just make a mage that uses melee weapons and self buffs. dont think this has any unintended overpowered builds like in bg2 though if thats what you mean.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
If I wanted my Cipher to have 0 armor penalties, am I forever doomed to have him look like a dork in robes forever? God robes look so bad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What are you, a never-nude? There's nothing like an unfurnished basement for pure comfort.

Furism posted:

rope kid posted this on Twitter. If that's not Deadfire Archipelo then it's a troll. https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/799702830193836032

I assumed that was some actual historical drawings of sea creatures, I'm sure I've seen stuff in that style before. Maybe a reference picture for creature designs, maybe just a cool historical picture.

Must be annoying to be a developer and occasionally post a picture of something you think looks cool, and have to follow it up later with "that doesn't have anything to do with Fallout guys"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think Furism assumed it was a tease because it's the same blurry photo of a monitor style that he used for the other teases. It's a cool image either way, tbh.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I think Furism assumed it was a tease because it's the same blurry photo of a monitor style that he used for the other teases. It's a cool image either way, tbh.

Indeed. We've been suspecting Deadfire Archipelago (which the lore book says is full of horrible sea creatures) for a long time so..

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm down with Josh Sawyers' Pirates!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If we have Vithrack in pirate hats, that'd be ace :allears:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
rope kid should start putting his name before all Obsidian games, lmao.

Also hope Obsidian continues to churn out isometric RPG games. Between POE/POE2 and Tyranny, I am one happy gamer.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Also hope Obsidian continues to churn out isometric RPG games. Between POE/POE2 and Tyranny, I am one happy gamer.

Yea, even with my general dislike for Tyranny's mechanics, I will still buy every iso game they put out. I would love some scifi though, I tried to get into Underrail but it is so ugly and hard to play.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
All the little animation touches on Tyranny made me very happy. Hope they bring all of that to PoE2. There's even like a dozen spellcaster animations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I just want sassy face-serving in all my isometric dialogues

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Made the mistake of not bringing Hiravias along for Durgan's Battery and boy was that dungeon a slog. The last fight in there is actually easier than the ones that come before it. That one ambush where three sirens attack you and a billion wraiths/shadows is absolutely brutal.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Rascyc posted:

All the little animation touches on Tyranny made me very happy. Hope they bring all of that to PoE2. There's even like a dozen spellcaster animations.

I'm not sure where I'll fall on Tyranny vs PoE when it's all said and done (Restartitis :negative:) but the models and animations of Tyranny need to be a thing yesterday in PoE2. Improved would be even better, of course, but I suspect it's easier to animate humans staggering from big crits or flailing while on fire when you're not modeling and animating a Monster Manual's worth of critters.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Deadfire Archipelago setting would be A OK with me. I'm imagining tropical backgrounds and underwater civilizations and getting good island feels.

The setting and lore in Pillars is growing on me. I like the different religious factions. Hearing Durance's take on the Skaen cultists was neat.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I wouldn't say no to Rauatai, myself. Or... both? Food for thought.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I wouldn't say no to Rauatai, myself. Or... both? Food for thought.

Or the Vailian Republics, or Iximatl, or the Living Lands, or, hell, even Aedyr.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ginette Reno posted:

Made the mistake of not bringing Hiravias along for Durgan's Battery and boy was that dungeon a slog.

Your mistake was to not bring a Barbarian with St. Ydwen's Redeemer equipped! This is the most fun I've had in this game except for getting Concelhaut to kill himself.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

Your mistake was to not bring a Barbarian with St. Ydwen's Redeemer equipped! This is the most fun I've had in this game except for getting Concelhaut to kill himself.

I actually did bring Maneha with that equipped and she did have a grand old time with it. It's not the vessels that cause such a headache in that dungeon though but the wraiths/spectres/battery sirens. If you don't have a Druid spamming returning storm you get stunlocked by them all day. Druids I find are the best counter to the hordes of those enemies you face in there. I was able to protect somewhat against them with Crowns of the Faithful/Prayer against Paralyze(whatever that's called) but those don't make you immune to stuns but only paralyze. Also since I have it on POTD and spirits have sky high defenses even before playing on the hardest difficulty I had to do a good deal of buffing/debuffing before being able to reliably hit those enemies anyways. And it's hard to get those off while getting stunlocked.

I actually found the final fight of that dungeon easier than the siren encounters. Of course I probably didn't take the smartest party for that dungeon since I had my Monk/Eder/Maneha/Devil/Durance/Aloth. I probably should have had more spellcasting power but whatever, I survived without switching up my party which was satisfying :toot:.

Now I'm gonna finish up Endless Paths and then take on the dragon in Longfalls before starting WM2.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Yeah unless you bring your A-Team, or if you scale the content, this dungeon can be a pain in the rear end. I still like it though just because it's choke-full of Vessels and you can tell the team put some thoughts into the encounters.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Love the bit where you cross the bridge and then get ganked from the side.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

Love the bit where you cross the bridge and then get ganked from the side.
I always advanced in stealth mode, so this one didn't work on me. The second group arrived but my party was still undetected, and I managed to fire multiples arquebuses at the Siren before the fight even began. Fastest encounter ever!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

When should I start doing White March if I don't want to be overleveled for as much content as possible? I've read some people suggest going in as soon as you are level 7, and some people have recommended finishing up nearly everything in Act 2 and then going in with scaling turned on.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Level 7 is probably the absolute earliest you can go in without getting your head lopped off in the opening fight. But it will be tough all the way through - the workshop is rough if you can't dish damage quickly enough to take out the suicide lurchers

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
A character with enough speed can run in to trigger them and be out of the blast zone before they explode.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

fozzy fosbourne posted:

When should I start doing White March if I don't want to be overleveled for as much content as possible? I've read some people suggest going in as soon as you are level 7, and some people have recommended finishing up nearly everything in Act 2 and then going in with scaling turned on.

My advice would be to do it at level 7-8 even it doesn't really make sense story-wise. High Level Scaling makes a lot of the fights (especially in WM2) drag longer than they should but not necessarily harder than if you do them at level 7 without scaling. Just longer.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Rascyc posted:

The different spellcaster animations are tied to the shape of the spell (i.e. single target, missile, cone, AOE, etc). It's super handy cause when you learn the animations you can tell what kind of spell enemies are casting based on the core + animation they use, sometimes quick enough to counter. Would love to see something like that in PoE2.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Furism posted:

My advice would be to do it at level 7-8 even it doesn't really make sense story-wise. High Level Scaling makes a lot of the fights (especially in WM2) drag longer than they should but not necessarily harder than if you do them at level 7 without scaling. Just longer.

My preferred method of going through the game now is:

Act 1 > Some of Act 2 main quest/Act 2 quests that give good items > WM1 at level 7/8 > Rest of Act 2 Main Quest > Endless Paths > Cragholdt > Alpine Dragon @ Level 14 > WM Pt 2 Upscaled > Upscaled Act 3 > Battle of Caed Nua > Bog Dragons > Finish

I might sneak in to upscaled Act 3 earlier if there's some items I want or if I wanna level up Stormcaller. Upscaled Sky Dragon can be a pretty good fight around level 12 or so.

The rest of Act 2 after WM1 is pretty much a breeze but I'd rather player through the WM stuff at a lower level because it's more fun.

I don't even bother with the Caed Nua Bounties any more because I feel like the XP gained from them really just makes you way overpowered – consoling the items in just makes the rest of the game more fun.

Next time I play I'll probably play with IE mod and set a 66% scaler or something – this would be a cool feature to have built in to the game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I suspect it's easier to animate humans staggering from big crits or flailing while on fire when you're not modeling and animating a Monster Manual's worth of critters.
Yes. Tyranny had only a small handful of rigs to animate, primarily humans and beast men.

It's much easier to get large variety in animation when you have a small number of rigs.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 20, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Furism posted:

I was wondering why a giant comedy turd was on there before I realized it was some kind of oddly camo'd snake. Unless that's a new monster which only appears near latrines.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My playthrough is Act 1/2/Endless Paths up to level 6--->WM1 with level scaling--->finish endless paths--->Wm2--->Act 3(level scaled)

Seems alright

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
White March is doable at level 6 but annoying imo. I'd wait until level 7.

Ogre Cannoneers can easily drop a party member in the first seconds of a fight.
At level 7, Confusion becomes available, which makes them a lot more manageable.

The Workshop is also just so long that I'd always rather have another spell level for it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Started my first play through that I've made any headway in for like the past year. That fight at the end of Raedric's hold is still hard as balls. Is using Itumaak to trigger the fight early and get enemies to run into an assload of traps still the best way to cheese it?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Just making sure: the +x% DamageType on various weapons doesn't apply globally to your character, eg. in spells and abilities, right?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Started my first play through that I've made any headway in for like the past year. That fight at the end of Raedric's hold is still hard as balls. Is using Itumaak to trigger the fight early and get enemies to run into an assload of traps still the best way to cheese it?

That or use Eder to initiate, then run him back to a doorway for him to block while your party shoots magic and arrows from behind him.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Seashell Salesman posted:

Just making sure: the +x% DamageType on various weapons doesn't apply globally to your character, eg. in spells and abilities, right?

+x% damage type on weapons won't stack with spells, but they will work with abilities if that ability uses the weapon in question – for example, the hits to the primary target of a Torment's reach.

Might will increase all types of damage.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Playing through Tyranny has me really wanting to head back to PoE and finish it. They never added Tyranny's inline wiki feature to PoE did they? Whenever I've tried to go back I get kinda lost with all the world details and that is so drat convenient.

I should probably give up on my half way through Act 2 save and just start over.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

FuzzySlippers posted:

Playing through Tyranny has me really wanting to head back to PoE and finish it. They never added Tyranny's inline wiki feature to PoE did they? Whenever I've tried to go back I get kinda lost with all the world details and that is so drat convenient.

I should probably give up on my half way through Act 2 save and just start over.

No inline wiki.

If you haven't played PoE in awhile and you're just coming off Tyranny, the difference in combat difficulty is going to be a shock. Tyranny on hard is basically Pillars on easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

The Workshop is also just so long that I'd always rather have another spell level for it.

The workshop is filled with Vessels. Give Maneha the Redeemer and let her loose.

• Locked thread