Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Thanks to all y'all pointing out why this season is interesting after all. I'm not quite turned around but I enjoy reading what you have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i finally caught up after having been behind since like episode 3 but i am enjoying this season. some fun characters and moments. taylor is a good example of someone worth a few amusing moments but becomes more insufferable the longer he stays and this was pretty much the best time for him to go out because he was irritatingly smug about the food. glad to see him trying to explode adam's game did not really work at all. adam's not a great player but the argument against him was mind-bogglingly stupid.

dunno if i'm rooting for anyone in particular though. david maybe? pretty impressed with how quickly he turned his game around after that atrocious performance in the first episode, and he seems like a good guy overall.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I thought they successfully destroyed Adam's game that tribal. At worst people could think that knowing about the food being buried and not telling is just as bad as stealing it. At best he had information and chose not to share it with his allies.

Either way he looks like a complete snake, which reinforces his already terrible reputation. While he was already screwed, after that tribal I'd say he has zero chance to win.

On the other hand he's looking like a pretty awesome goat...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't think it's hopeless for anyone unless it's completely against their personality to actually play the game.

Edit wise, though, I don't think Hannah and Zeke would be calling him an rear end in a top hat if he ends up pulling out of this rut.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

David and Ken on the next BvW please

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Jokes aside, A BvW style season where the pairs are players who had very strong bonds in their seasons would be interesting. I like the way that pre-existing bonds effect boot orders, but a lot of the family members in original BvW were fairly crappy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A lot of the family members in the second BvW were fairly crappy.

One person was clearly awful in almost every pair. Some pairs had two terrible people. Reed and Josh were the only pair where both seemed moderately competent.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

newtestleper posted:

I thought they successfully destroyed Adam's game that tribal. At worst people could think that knowing about the food being buried and not telling is just as bad as stealing it. At best he had information and chose not to share it with his allies.

Either way he looks like a complete snake, which reinforces his already terrible reputation. While he was already screwed, after that tribal I'd say he has zero chance to win.

On the other hand he's looking like a pretty awesome goat...

i don't really think it changed adam's position in the tribe any. people pretty much already didn't trust him. i think he at least has a somewhat reasonable explanation regarding not saying anything about the food due to wanting to try and repair some of his relationship with taylor after voting out fig. from a gameplay perspective it makes sense.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The one positive for Adam I can see is that it appears Hannah hasn't mentioned Adam's idol to anyone yet. If by some miracle Hannah also goes to Adam and tells him that Zeke has been saying he's ready and willing to vote him out multiple times, then I think Adam gets a bit more justification for his (not so good) actions over the last few episodes. But in the end he was really just my winner pick and I want him to pull something off even though he suddenly started sucking it up and he's not going to win

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

obliriovrons posted:

The one positive for Adam I can see is that it appears Hannah hasn't mentioned Adam's idol to anyone yet. If by some miracle Hannah also goes to Adam and tells him that Zeke has been saying he's ready and willing to vote him out multiple times, then I think Adam gets a bit more justification for his (not so good) actions over the last few episodes. But in the end he was really just my winner pick and I want him to pull something off even though he suddenly started sucking it up and he's not going to win

Does Hannah know about the idol? I don't remember him telling her about it, and she didn't see him actually find it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

She knows he was looking but everyone assumes he doesn't have one because of how hard he was hustling.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Adus posted:

i finally caught up after having been behind since like episode 3 but i am enjoying this season. some fun characters and moments. taylor is a good example of someone worth a few amusing moments but becomes more insufferable the longer he stays and this was pretty much the best time for him to go out because he was irritatingly smug about the food. glad to see him trying to explode adam's game did not really work at all. adam's not a great player but the argument against him was mind-bogglingly stupid.

It was so cringe-worthy to watch him go HE'S GOING TO SEND YOUR LOVED ONES AWAY :gary: YOU KNOW, THE ONES YOU LOOOOOOVE :words: and Adam wasn't even wise enough to make it clear that he's not loving stupid and he's not going to use it for anything like that and it was like facepalm in slow motion :shepicide:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
yeah i think even adam is aware enough to know that would be the dumbest move in the world. i mean he may have said such and they just cut that part out because that exchange would basically be

adam: "no one is stupid enough to use the advantage for that reason"
everyone else: "yeah no poo poo"

the end.

besides as a player in that game i think i'd actually want him to do that because it would make him a wonderful goat.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Adus posted:

besides as a player in that game i think i'd actually want him to do that because it would make him a wonderful goat.

Yes, especially if it's some cousin Mike that he shakes hands with :laugh:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Met posted:

One person was clearly awful in almost every pair. Some pairs had two terrible people. Reed and Josh were the only pair where both seemed moderately competent.

are you talking poo poo about missy and baylor

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Met posted:

I still to this day wonder how many hours Josh (or Reed??) spent in front of a mirror in Ponderosa, practising that evil stepmother speech he gave at Final Tribal.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pinterest Mom posted:

are you talking poo poo about missy and baylor

is this sarcasm

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Missy and Baylor were great.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Great to root against.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I really hated that season. I hated all of it. The winner was the sole redeeming quality, and even then, it felt ironic.

Seasons 21-30 need to die in a dumpster fire. All of them. Call me out on any one of them; every single one until Cambodia was bullshit.

Sole possible arguable exception: Cagayan (but I loving hate Tony Vlachos. And Woo. And Cass. And literally everybody except Spencer and Sarah Lacina).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

One thing that I think we'll see sooner or later is that the cool kids/outcasts fault lines are gonna split open again, as foreshadowed by Sunday wanting to target Jessica this episode and being friends with Jay. The original majority alliances on each tribe have been beaten down but could unite together. So you'd get like a Jay/Will plus Brett/Sunday/Chris. If people are trying to split votes to get out Jay's idol they could do this right now, get the numbers to 5-5, still have an idol and still have the chance to pull in another number for the next vote. But maybe first everyone will just try to rip the Adam bandaid off and get rid of him

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

I really hated that season. I hated all of it. The winner was the sole redeeming quality, and even then, it felt ironic.

Seasons 21-30 need to die in a dumpster fire. All of them. Call me out on any one of them; every single one until Cambodia was bullshit.

Sole possible arguable exception: Cagayan (but I loving hate Tony Vlachos. And Woo. And Cass. And literally everybody except Spencer and Sarah Lacina).
21-24 are pretty universally despised but after that there's a lot of room for argument. Cagayan (28) which you mentioned is considered an all-time top season. Everyone likes Philippines (25) too. Most people like BvW (27). I guess Caramoan (26) is a bit polarizing but it was fine to me, and I didn't even dislike SJDS (29) thanks to the winner. So the dark era is basically limited to 21-24, for me

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I guess Philippines gets an arguable mention, but:

- Abi-Maria

- RC: the laugh, the racism

- Mike Skupin, no comment needed

- Lisa Welchel's stunt casting

- Malcolm was okay, but then they decided that he was fuckable, and therefore an all star, and his alliance with Corinne kind of killed things

- Obama stole literally hundreds of dollars from Jeff Kent

- J'Tia

And this is all decent reality television, but horrible loving Survivor.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I guess Philippines gets an arguable mention, but:

- Abi-Maria

And this is all decent reality television, but horrible loving Survivor.

What are you talking about? Abi-Maria had many fine qualities.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

21-24 are pretty universally despised but after that there's a lot of room for argument. Cagayan (28) which you mentioned is considered an all-time top season. Everyone likes Philippines (25) too. Most people like BvW (27). I guess Caramoan (26) is a bit polarizing but it was fine to me, and I didn't even dislike SJDS (29) thanks to the winner. So the dark era is basically limited to 21-24, for me

We will argue over incorrect opinions until the death of the internet, friend.

Cagayan is bullshit next to middling seasons of old. This thread is nostalgic for Gabon, for instance.

Addressed Philippines. Will acknowledge misappropriation of J'Tia. This poo poo gets muddled, okay? Spencer was great; Cagayan was not.

Caramoan is indefensible. I won't ask you to try; you would only embarrass yourself.

SJDS was a failed experiment. Luckily, it gave us two good winners and three more amazing characters (Wentworth, Keith, and Jon Misch), but it was a poo poo season.

Cambodia was awesome. Kaoh Rong was problematic at best. I'm anxious for the incoming end game, but beyond disappointed at the spoiled cast list for the spring.

Somebody really needs to get fired.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Abi-Maria hitting Skupin in the head with a coconut is now not only funny but good.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
:agreed:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Plus, you can now go re-watch that final tribal and see everyone poo poo all over his gameplay and get even more enjoyment out of it.

Oh, also Abi-Maria berating him during her boot by calling him an idiot over and over again.

Basically she has just been retroactively made into a hero for how she trolls Skupin that season.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Genuine question: if you don't like any seasons in 25-30, why do you like the show? I get the sense that most people in this thread like the show for the strategy, and most of the biggest strategic moments in the show have been in those seasons (plus 16, 19, 20, 31, and 32). You have the chaotic post-merge with like 4 different alliances in 25, the Three Amigos idol Tribal Council in 26, Caleb spontaneously announcing he was changing his vote to Brad Culpepper mid-Tribal in 27, going to rocks in 27, the crazy Cagayan post-merge where Tony bounced back and forth between alliances and made up idol rules in 28, the wacky Reed vote splitting plan that almost worked if not for a last minute idol play in 29, Natalie's idol play at the final 5 in 29, Mike's idol fake out on Shirin in 30 (plus 3 other successful idol plays throughout the season). And these are just the big A-tier hits-- even the B/C-tier "regular" episodes in the 25-30 era tend to have some exciting strategic stuff going on (whether it's blindsiding Garrett on Day 6 with an idol in his pocket in 28, or blindsiding Cliff Robinson pre-merge in 28, or getting Jeremy out on a weird 5-3-2 vote in 29). None of these seasons have any sort of traditional Pagonging, and all of them have pretty satisfying winners.

I guess maybe if you don't care about strategy and just like to see likeable people on TV you wouldn't like these seasons? But I think most of the big newbie characters in the 25-30 era (Malcolm, Denise, Ciera, Spencer, Tasha, Tony, Natalie, Jeremy, Keith, Shirin, Mike) are super likeable and are responsible for some really exciting longform underdog stories. In fact, I think the big difference between 21-24 and 25-30 was a big change in the casting of the show. 21-24 have a lot of "generic" good-looking people with little personality or interest in the game, whereas 25-30 largely steer away from that archetype. Probst even said in an interview that 24 was a breaking point in terms of how they cast the show, and specifically he ordered casting to stop casting "stupid" people because it was essentially breaking the game.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying I love every season in 25-30. I think the pre-merge of 26 is pretty bad (but the post-merge is solid), and 29 and 30 had some casting problems. I just don't understand how someone could be a Survivor fan that likes season 31 but can't find anything to like in 25-30 which is probably the most consistent run of 6 seasons in the show's history (outside of maybe 15-20).

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 22, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Let's be honest. Survivor sucks.

I don't hate Tony though.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mike wining 30 did a lot to redeem that rather hateful season.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I would've preferred seeing Rodney win over the guy who he successfully isolated and made persona non grata after the auction.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mike had the upside of not being human garbage at least. Everyone else in the final 7 were truly lovely people.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 22, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mancalamania posted:

Genuine question: if you don't like any seasons in 25-30, why do you like the show? I get the sense that most people in this thread like the show for the strategy, and most of the biggest strategic moments in the show have been in those seasons (plus 16, 19, 20, 31, and 32). You have the chaotic post-merge with like 4 different alliances in 25, the Three Amigos idol Tribal Council in 26, Caleb spontaneously announcing he was changing his vote to Brad Culpepper mid-Tribal in 27, going to rocks in 27, the crazy Cagayan post-merge where Tony bounced back and forth between alliances and made up idol rules in 28, the wacky Reed vote splitting plan that almost worked if not for a last minute idol play in 29, Natalie's idol play at the final 5 in 29, Mike's idol fake out on Shirin in 30 (plus 3 other successful idol plays throughout the season). And these are just the big A-tier hits-- even the B/C-tier "regular" episodes in the 25-30 era tend to have some exciting strategic stuff going on (whether it's blindsiding Garrett on Day 6 with an idol in his pocket in 28, or blindsiding Cliff Robinson pre-merge in 28, or getting Jeremy out on a weird 5-3-2 vote in 29). None of these seasons have any sort of traditional Pagonging, and all of them have pretty satisfying winners.

I guess maybe if you don't care about strategy and just like to see likeable people on TV you wouldn't like these seasons? But I think most of the big newbie characters in the 25-30 era (Malcolm, Denise, Ciera, Spencer, Tasha, Tony, Natalie, Jeremy, Keith, Shirin, Mike) are super likeable and are responsible for some really exciting longform underdog stories. In fact, I think the big difference between 21-24 and 25-30 was a big change in the casting of the show. 21-24 have a lot of "generic" good-looking people with little personality or interest in the game, whereas 25-30 largely steer away from that archetype. Probst even said in an interview that 24 was a breaking point in terms of how they cast the show, and specifically he ordered casting to stop casting "stupid" people because it was essentially breaking the game.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying I love every season in 25-30. I think the pre-merge of 26 is pretty bad (but the post-merge is solid), and 29 and 30 had some casting problems. I just don't understand how someone could be a Survivor fan that likes season 31 but can't find anything to like in 25-30 which is probably the most consistent run of 6 seasons in the show's history (outside of maybe 15-20).

Last season kind of broke my Survivor-heart and I'm not sure if I like the show anymore. But beyond that I definitely have enjoyed stuff in almost every single season, probably because I do care about strategy more than the characters.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Fast Luck posted:

I would've preferred seeing Rodney win over the guy who he successfully isolated and made persona non grata after the auction.

Rodney is a piece of poo poo. Good riddance.

in regards to Caramoan, it gave us Reynolds and his amazing tossing skills and dogbar so there's that

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mancalamania posted:

"Gee, Cindy, if he keeps on hitting you, why don't you just move out?"

"Because... I fell in love with him, and I just- I love him, okay?"

:(

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I just need to watch a few episodes of Big Brother to have my appreciation for Survivor rekindled.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

I just need to watch a few episodes of Big Brother to have my appreciation for Survivor rekindled.

There are some Big Brother mechanisms that I prefer to Survivor. For one, the HOH allows for minority alliances to have a bit more survivability, which means Pagongings are rarer than in Survivor. The other is that the HOH nomination procedure means that not everyone is at immediate risk of elimination, which I think can result in longer term strategic gameplay instead of everything being so reactive and chaotic.

On the other hand, can do without the constant comp throwing, poor editing missing key conversations ("btw 2 weeks ago these people formed this alliance we didn't bother telling you about that's now suddenly important") due to airing while the game is going, and bullshit twists like evicted houseguests returning constantly.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Or he could just watch season 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Arcanen posted:

There are some Big Brother mechanisms that I prefer to Survivor. For one, the HOH allows for minority alliances to have a bit more survivability, which means Pagongings are rarer than in Survivor. The other is that the HOH nomination procedure means that not everyone is at immediate risk of elimination, which I think can result in longer term strategic gameplay instead of everything being so reactive and chaotic.

I used to feel this way until I started watching Big Brother more over the past few years, and I actually think the opposite is true especially with respect to that last point. I think the Big Brother format encourages super "safe" and boring gameplay, because no one can safely plan more than a week ahead. And because of the nomination system, you can have people go weeks on end without having to make any strategic move at all. On Big Brother, if Alliance A and Alliance B are fighting each other and you haven't already picked a side, there is no incentive to do so since if A wins there will be two B noms and if B wins there will be two A noms. You never actually have to choose between A and B unless you do something stupid like win a comp. At least on Survivor, you are forced to pick a side at every Tribal Council by either voting for A or B. And with every player feeling vulnerable every single round on Survivor, there is always an incentive to be paying attention to the game and actively strategizing.

Maybe a neat twist on the Big Brother format would be to announce all of the competitions far in advance, and maybe even allow them to practice any of the comps in the downtime. This both allows players to plan further ahead (you can actually estimate some probabilities about who might win HoH in a given week instead of just guessing), and letting them practice for longer periods might give the energetic underdogs a more serious chance to comeback then if they have to walk blindly into some stupid trivia comp or pray their body weight is distributed correctly to optimize their chance in some wall-endurance comp.

• Locked thread