Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

axia posted:

Since we're on the subject, what is a reasonably priced lid that is pinlock compatible or already has one built in that doesn't suck? I was eyeballing this: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-mx-9-adventure-blockade-helmet Also, I am poor.

I am also interested in this helmet if anyone has experience. There's a few threads on ADVRider about it, but not a ton of useful information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

karms posted:

My visor is optically correct anyway. :colbert:

Really, any distortion that pinlocks provide are much less aggravating and dangerous than the bullshit that is a fogged up visor in the rainy season (aka the 3/4th of the year that is not designated as "t-shirt weather").
This, basically. Out of the multiple hundreds of people I've talked to about and sold pinlock-ready helmets to, I think there have been 2 people who said halos bothered them. I definitely know that they can exist for some people and be highly bothersome, but it doesn't seem to bother the majority (I'm just answering the question :v:)

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
The most important piece of bike gear has been taken care of today, as some backroom shop in a strip mall down the street suction cupped my eyes out, cut a slit into them, and via a combination of harsh chemical agents and lasers fixed my crippling eye disability.

A+ would recommend again, it's bullshit that LASIK is considered cosmetic and whoever made that decision has no soul.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Revvik posted:

The most important piece of bike gear has been taken care of today, as some backroom shop in a strip mall down the street suction cupped my eyes out, cut a slit into them, and via a combination of harsh chemical agents and lasers fixed my crippling eye disability.

A+ would recommend again, it's bullshit that LASIK is considered cosmetic and whoever made that decision has no soul.

I can't wait to get my eyes fixed. Fortunately, it's getting past the stigma of cosmetic surgery and my insurance provider partially funds it. But even with help, $2k/eye is still high.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if you're in the states you can put money tax-free into your flex spending account and use it for LASIK, so that helps a bit.

I had custom wavefront whateverthefuck LASIK done 8 years ago for $3500 total at the local eye hospital, not one of those LASIK-only clinics where it costs $50 with a coupon. $2K an eye these days seems pretty steep

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I can't wait to get my eyes fixed. Fortunately, it's getting past the stigma of cosmetic surgery and my insurance provider partially funds it. But even with help, $2k/eye is still high.

No assistance, spent $4350 total, could've bought a track bike or some work to my car or a mountain of cocaine but I am so loving sick of glasses.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It took getting into SCUBA a little that made me really loving sick of glasses. I can't hardly see poo poo down there!

Still haven't pulled the trigger on lasik though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can get dive masks with corrective lenses. They're not even very expensive since the lenses just come in a bunch of set strengths.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Aww man I have seen the future, rubber gloves kitchen inside regular gloves does wonders for keeping autumns shittiness at bay. Although my fingers still get a little cold it's nothing compared to feeling like they're about to fall off in the worst of weather.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had to do that on my trip this year, and it was the worst. Just grab a pair of cheap tourmaster winter gauntlets and love your life.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Coydog posted:

I had to do that on my trip this year, and it was the worst. Just grab a pair of cheap tourmaster winter gauntlets and love your life.
They've got a few cold weather options, looks like- Do you own a pair? What temps have you had them down to? I did 28F this morning which was pretty miserable even with rubber gloves under my A* SP-8s.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have the Tourmaster Cold Tex 2.0 model.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVI21BO/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_dp

They are so awesome, I actually paid $25 to have them overnighted from my house (where I forgot them) to buffalo NY, on my trip earlier this year. I rode all through last winter with no heated gear or grips, down to about 28-29F. At those temperatures, you aren't going to be HAPPY but your hands won't be falling off. I've tried winter gauntlets from other brands and found them to not really be good below 45F, if that. These, however, keep my hands nice and comfortable in all weather.

Oh yeah, and they are REALLY waterproof. You pull your hand out after riding in a downpour and they are bone dry. The other side of this is that they are warm when soaked through. The weatherproof coating had worn off or something by the time I rode 10 hours in a solid downpour on my trip, so they eventually got soaked through. To be fair, my frogg toggs couldn't keep me dry on that ride at all, either. My hands stayed warm, regardless.

They fit well, and don't feel bulky. You can operate controls with no issues. Protection is ok. Soft "armor" on the entire top of your hand, which would probably soak up some pretty bad hits. The palm is real leather, which is nice.

I like how they go well over the wrist, so air doesn't seep up your sleeves. I like how soft they are on the inside. I like how the inside liner doesn't pull out if your hands are wet and you take them off.

The lack of a velcro strap on the wrist originally seemed like it would be a problem, but in reality I have had zero concerns about it coming off in an accident or otherwise. When you put them on, they stay on.

I say all that to say this: These gloves are so good that I'd happily purchase any other product that tourmaster makes. When I saw that they had a heated jacket liner, it immediately became my first and only choice for that bit of gear. (now just to size myself and buy it dammit)

Edit: Bear in mind, these gloves PLUS heated grips are really what you should be shooting for. Heated grips are so amazing I cannot believe I suffered so long without them. If you ride through the winter, it's worth it to pony up for some electrics.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 23, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It seldom gets down to freezing down here in Florida, but since I am not a fan of cold hands in any way, I bought a pair of Thermasilk glove liners and now even in 0C-5C weather my hands stay warm in my Held RaceTex gloves. I bet combined with a true winter glove you wouldn't even need heated grips.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I appreciate the review, Coydog. I can't find the Cold-Tex's in my size (yet) but I'll keep an eye out and/or settle for the Polar-Tex's.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
when it was getting really nippy in Washington last year I bit the bullet on some Tourmaster heated gloves with a Gerbing jacket liner, wired it all up (which was a bit on an adventure since my bike is electric), and will never go back. A warmed core and gloves on a cold day are positively luxurious.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Edit: different question:

Any recommendations for lightweight motorcycle boots that can double as hiking boots? Or if that didn't exist, then hiking boots that give decent protection for riding?

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 26, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In before forma adventure low (the toebox is kinda big for a hiking boot and will give you blisters* unless you're already callused up from wearing bad walking boots; also the grip on the sole is awful on wet stone/frost/slime/mud. It's adequate if you keep your whole foot planted but then you end up walking like a robot)

They're comfy af but not ideal for serious hiking.

*ymmv if you have good socks or talc your feet, can't personally confirm yet

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Seconding the Forma adventure low boots, visit their site to make sure you get the right size. I've never had an issue blistering and have worn them all day (just walking though no climbing or anything crazy serious).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Renaissance Robot you may not have the right size, or your feet may not be the right shape for the formas. One of the nice things about the formas is that they have a wider toebox, unlike 99% of moto boots/shoes. For people like me, that means not getting all the negative foot pain that you talk of. Not sure what you mean about them not gripping, mine stick like glue to nasty surfaces.

The formas are so comfortable, I find myself switching to them last minute if I'm going to be doing lots of activities, even when I won't be riding. (I need to find some proper non moto boots... or buy another pair of formas..)

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
These Forma boots look nice, but not very breathable. Am I wrong?

I care because my feet get hot very quickly, and specially when hiking I wear the most ventilated, meshy shoes I can find.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You are in luck, because you could not be more wrong!

edit: Telling people they are wrong on the internet feels good! Quick, someone else say more wrong things. Clutchpuck?

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Coydog posted:

You are in luck, because you could not be more wrong!
I'd be in luck if I was wrong and they cost half of what they do, but thanks. Lots of good reviews for these, and way more my style than those awful power ranger boots.

quote:

edit: Telling people they are wrong on the internet feels good! Quick, someone else say more wrong things. Clutchpuck?
I'm pretty sure good hiking shoes protect just as well as MX boots.

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 26, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Those of you who have been posting cold weather gloves: How cold do your hands get on their own? I had liners inside my regular gloves today while it was in the mid 50s, and my hands were white after about 45 minutes. I have to wear gloves to drive my car if it's below 45 outside. I like the look of those Tour Masters that Coydog posted, but I have been disappointed by lots of cold weather gloves.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

carcinofuck posted:

I'd be in luck if I was wrong and they cost half of what they do, but thanks. Lots of good reviews for these, and way more my style than those awful power ranger boots.

I know I'm pretty gung ho about pushing the stuff that works well for me, but I really do think the formas are worth it at twice the price. I've tried on a lot of boots, and admittedly these are the most expensive boots I've owned (though not by a wide margin). Perhaps an $800 boot will put these to shame and also extend the range of my bike by 100 miles. I don't know.

Thing is, I've had a lot of sub $200 riding shoes, and they have all been hot garbage. This includes the ~$200 Dianese riding shoes. You should be thanking your lucky stars that Forma will even look at you for less than $500, let alone provide something like the Adventure Low for $240.

There isn't even any break in period. They are true to size, and come out of the box as comfortable as a pair of your favorite slippers. I've already gotten over twice the miles out of them than any of my other shoes, and they were much more abusive miles. This doesn't even count how much hiking and walking I've done in them (though I'd get a specific hiking boot if you were doing the AT or something).

Maybe they will go on sale this weekend for Black friday/Cyber Monday?

carcinofuck posted:

I'm pretty sure good hiking shoes protect just as well as MX boots.

Ahhhh! There it is.

Deeters posted:

Those of you who have been posting cold weather gloves: How cold do your hands get on their own? I had liners inside my regular gloves today while it was in the mid 50s, and my hands were white after about 45 minutes. I have to wear gloves to drive my car if it's below 45 outside. I like the look of those Tour Masters that Coydog posted, but I have been disappointed by lots of cold weather gloves.

I'm pretty sure my hands actually make their own cold. On a hot summers day, you could chill your beer by letting me hold it. In the winter, my hands and toes are usually the first to go, and very quickly. Tourmaster gloves and forma boots are my favorites (though the formas keep my feet cool and dry in the summer, so go figure).

That's just me, though. I'm interested to see what others report.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Forms Adv Lows are cool and good and I pull 16 hour psychiatric shifts multiple days in a row in them thanks for listening.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Revvik posted:

Forms Adv Lows are cool and good and I pull 16 hour psychiatric shifts multiple days in a row in them thanks for listening.

If your psych shifts were anything like mine this is a bad idea. The last thing you want is blood, poo poo, semen, and urine all over your fancy boots, especially when you're going to wear them home and expose your house to all those horrible contagions.

If not, congratulations. I'm glad you don't work in an environment where public masturbation is a daily occurrence.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Good lord, no. What the gently caress kind of place were you working in??
I stay primarily in the geriatric wing. We keep it down to just blood, poo poo, and urine, thank you very much.

Buy stock in antiseptic wipes, I use em by the case.
Also, I'm in my recovery week for LASIK and if they told me I had to go in every day for the rest of my life to get my eyes sliced and layered in order to not have to wear glasses ever again I'd still do it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Revvik posted:

Good lord, no. What the gently caress kind of place were you working in??
I stay primarily in the geriatric wing. We keep it down to just blood, poo poo, and urine, thank you very much.

Buy stock in antiseptic wipes, I use em by the case.
Also, I'm in my recovery week for LASIK and if they told me I had to go in every day for the rest of my life to get my eyes sliced and layered in order to not have to wear glasses ever again I'd still do it.

I was working with acutely psychotic individuals. It wasn't unheard of for some of our HIV + patients to fling fecal matter or blood at you in a deliberate attempt to infect you. I'm glad you're in a safer and healthier environment.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

I'm pretty sure my hands actually make their own cold. On a hot summers day, you could chill your beer by letting me hold it. In the winter, my hands and toes are usually the first to go, and very quickly. Tourmaster gloves and forma boots are my favorites (though the formas keep my feet cool and dry in the summer, so go figure).

That's just me, though. I'm interested to see what others report.

Good to hear. When most people say their gloves work down into the 30s for them, they might get me to 49.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I was working with acutely psychotic individuals. It wasn't unheard of for some of our HIV + patients to fling fecal matter or blood at you in a deliberate attempt to infect you. I'm glad you're in a safer and healthier environment.

I was being 100% sarcastic. My favorite was them biting the inside of their cheeks open and then spitting blood at us.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Revvik posted:

I was being 100% sarcastic. My favorite was them biting the inside of their cheeks open and then spitting blood at us.

:lol: That's a new one to me!

I used 20 or 30 antiseptic wipes a day, but I still wouldn't trust my good boots around that place. Luckily we had a locker room to store our nice poo poo so we could abuse some ratty work boots instead.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Deeters posted:

Good to hear. When most people say their gloves work down into the 30s for them, they might get me to 49.

Just get some Rukka winter gloves and be done with it. They're from Finland, Finns know what cold really is (hint: 30F isn't cold, it's balmy).

E: another plus for them over cheapass Tourmasters: they actually use gore-tex and are actually waterproof.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Just get some Rukka winter gloves and be done with it. They're from Finland, Finns know what cold really is (hint: 30F isn't cold, it's balmy).

E: another plus for them over cheapass Tourmasters: they actually use gore-tex and are actually waterproof.

Or, you know, heated gloves.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Revvik posted:

There were only two mildly annoying parts to getting LASIK and neither of them held a candle to having to gently caress with contacts and glasses on the daily: 1) everything going black in each eye when they put the microkeratome on and turned on the suction. Just a little freaky, but that's why they give you Valium 2) dry eyes for the next couple of weeks.

SO loving worth it.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I've heard you can smell your eyes burning. What's that smell like?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I didn't notice any smell because I was having panic attacks over the suction process and feeling the pressure from them slicing a flap into my eye and then tugging on it, while telling me "we're gonna tug on the flap we cut into your eye lol." The whole reason I couldn't deal with contacts is I can't stand things touching my eyes.

I can see without glasses now though and that's something I can't even express after spending almost my entire life practically blind.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Revvik posted:

I didn't notice any smell because I was having panic attacks over the suction process and feeling the pressure from them slicing a flap into my eye and then tugging on it, while telling me "we're gonna tug on the flap we cut into your eye lol.
" The whole reason I couldn't deal with contacts is I can't stand things touching my eyes.

I can see without glasses now though and that's something I can't even express after spending almost my entire life practically blind.

My nearsightedness is so strong that my first pair of glasses at about age 11 were bifocals.

Still would much rather have my glasses and contacts than the bolded above. *shudder*

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

The formas are so comfortable, I find myself switching to them last minute if I'm going to be doing lots of activities, even when I won't be riding.

True that. It's entirely possible I just have a gait problem, because it's only one foot that gets rubbed and only when I walk continuously for more than about twenty minutes. But as a result I'm hesitant to recommend them for serious walking; I can only go by my own experience. They're definitely the right size as I went through three pairs getting it right by trial and error.

They absolutely are The Best Boot for all weather riding and casual wear though, and well worth the price.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

My nearsightedness is so strong that my first pair of glasses at about age 11 were bifocals.

Still would much rather have my glasses and contacts than the bolded above. *shudder*

It's easily in the top 5 best things I've ever done for myself and even I found the body horror indescribable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Renaissance Robot posted:

True that. It's entirely possible I just have a gait problem, because it's only one foot that gets rubbed and only when I walk continuously for more than about twenty minutes. But as a result I'm hesitant to recommend them for serious walking; I can only go by my own experience. They're definitely the right size as I went through three pairs getting it right by trial and error.

They absolutely are The Best Boot for all weather riding and casual wear though, and well worth the price.

Thick socks over thin socks will stop almost all blisters and /or rubbing. Ask me about pouring blood out of my boot before I found this little tip out.