Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ISTR It was primarily an issue with their latching switches a few years back. The new soft switches they have are a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Does anybody have an SL Drive dip switch preference? I have tried the default and the super bass so far.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Remulak posted:

https://www.gearnews.com/tc-electronics-new-pedal-range-announced-bargains/

11 of 13 are rebadged Behringer circuits in a nicer enclosure, at double the price.

"We talked to Tore Mogensen, the pedal designer from TC and the guy in the videos. He told us, that 11 of the 13 pedals are redesigned Behringer circuits. Rush Booster and Fangs Metal Distortion are new. They updated the circuits and different parts, added or reduced some pots (inclusive parameter ranges of them) and added true bypass switching. So it is a real cooperation between Behringer and TC Electronics. We’re looking forward to hear the upcoming comparisons."

I dont have a problem with redesigned behringer circuits because all their circuits are ripped off versions of time tested circuits anyway. theres only so many ways you can make a guitar go warblbe warble. $50 for a non-noisy/ plastic behringer is fine.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

syntaxfunction posted:

What's the go with digital delays and reverb? Everyone seems to be moving back to analog delays outside of Strymons and their ilk. I've been fancying a DigiTech Obscura and Polara because I want delay and reverb buy I want the trails to continue when I turn them off, instead of instantly stopping. It seems the way to go is digital, the the DT stuff has a bunch of features that seem useful and/or cool. The only problem is everyone local seems to want AU$100 more than a Boss DD-7 and hell no I ain't paying that. There's a bunch of delays on Reverb for decent prices, but I want the crisp return of digital, would prefer tab tempo (The Obscura has one built in) and want the trails option. Any suggestions for not overpriced pedals that fit that?

Edit: While I'm at it, what's the best pedal for swells? I know the Boss Slow Gear is old, rare and expensive. At the moment I use a swell VST in Reaper. The advantage it has is it's not tied to a beat so any time I play a note it swells. It can get messy trying to play one sustained note and introduce another but I use it to play single notes at a time and it gives a beautiful violin like sound. Basically I want a pedal I can set the sensitivity and how long it takes to complete the swells, but have it activate every time I hit that threshold. Any ideas?

The Malekko Sneak Attack does exactly this, and a few other things.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

rockear posted:

The Malekko Sneak Attack does exactly this, and a few other things.

Oh snap that looks awesome. It might be overkill for just doing swells though. Might have to find somewhere local that stocks it and give it a try.

Oh, quick question to whoever. I'm finally getting a board and psu. When I plug everything in should I remove the batteries from the pedals first, or leave them in?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Generally best to take batteries out if they're not necessary just because battery acid leaking inside your stuff is awful

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah also the batteries will all go dead pretty much immediately if you don't unplug every input from every pedal when you're done playing each time.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Speaking of Digitech Supernaturals, I'm trying to figure out if I should repair mine. I broke the knob off the reverb type selector pot. The pot is a 7 way selector. Is it worth it to try to replace that pot? I've soldered a bit but I'm no small electronics repair pro. I just wonder if the time and materials spent replacing the pot would be worth it and if I could even get a 7 way selector pot that would work for sure. Right now I've just got it set to spring reverb and I'm OK with that. I can carve a groove or something in the pot stem to make it still select-able otherwise. I did try to superglue the knob back on but I knocked it off again and that seems like a dumb solution.

I do quite a few repairs, you can definitely replace a rotary switch. Sourcing one might be difficult. If you're in Europe and want to sell the pedal cheap then hmu

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

the wizards beard posted:

I do quite a few repairs, you can definitely replace a rotary switch. Sourcing one might be difficult. If you're in Europe and want to sell the pedal cheap then hmu

Thanks I appreciate the response. You addressed one of my main concerns which would be how do I even find the right rotary switch, it would suck to try to fix it and then find for some reason the rotary switch doesn't work the same way for some reason. I'm in the U.S. so I'll hold onto it and continue to at least keep it working by not trying to fix it. :)

It also gives me a valid excuse to buy another reverb pedal at some point.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Thanks I appreciate the response. You addressed one of my main concerns which would be how do I even find the right rotary switch, it would suck to try to fix it and then find for some reason the rotary switch doesn't work the same way for some reason. I'm in the U.S. so I'll hold onto it and continue to at least keep it working by not trying to fix it. :)

It also gives me a valid excuse to buy another reverb pedal at some point.

I'm traipsing around Japan right now but if you can disassemble it and take pictures I'll take a look and see if I can point you in the right direction. Should be about a week.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I got my first pedalboard and power supply. Holy poo poo is it so much easier to deal with. Instead of worrying about batteries and where everything is I can focus on just grabbing the board and plugging it in.

I have a problem though. I currently have three main pedals; a Bad Monkey Overdrive (used for boost), an EHX Crayon for crunch and an EHX Bass Big Muff for fuzz. I have a Jet City Shockwave distortion but honestly a lot of that ground is covered by the Crayon. So that's three pedals. Problem is, my PSU does 7 pedals at 9V. So I have four outputs left. A tuner typically allows a piggyback. I need a delay and reverb, so that leaves two. I really want a swell (Most likely a Mooer Slow Engine) so that leaves one. What the hell do I use one output for? My gut instinct is phaser, but there's so many options. The Digitech Ventura is three pedals in one and the Nautila is chrous/flanger in one.

Any suggestions?

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

syntaxfunction posted:

I got my first pedalboard and power supply. Holy poo poo is it so much easier to deal with. Instead of worrying about batteries and where everything is I can focus on just grabbing the board and plugging it in.

I have a problem though. I currently have three main pedals; a Bad Monkey Overdrive (used for boost), an EHX Crayon for crunch and an EHX Bass Big Muff for fuzz. I have a Jet City Shockwave distortion but honestly a lot of that ground is covered by the Crayon. So that's three pedals. Problem is, my PSU does 7 pedals at 9V. So I have four outputs left. A tuner typically allows a piggyback. I need a delay and reverb, so that leaves two. I really want a swell (Most likely a Mooer Slow Engine) so that leaves one. What the hell do I use one output for? My gut instinct is phaser, but there's so many options. The Digitech Ventura is three pedals in one and the Nautila is chrous/flanger in one.

Any suggestions?

Digitech's got a deal going right now where if you buy their Obscura delay you can get a Ventura vibe for $5. I took advantage. They're both pretty great sounding and solidly built.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

rockear posted:

Digitech's got a deal going right now where if you buy their Obscura delay you can get a Ventura vibe for $5. I took advantage. They're both pretty great sounding and solidly built.

I know this deal and was pretty much set on it.

It's only in continental US. I'm in Australia. So no deal for me. It's bullshit that I get screwed over on this account because they want me to pay AU$350 (USD$270) for each effect because of local distributors and poo poo. Makes me angry.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

I know this deal and was pretty much set on it.

It's only in continental US. I'm in Australia. So no deal for me. It's bullshit that I get screwed over on this account because they want me to pay AU$350 (USD$270) for each effect because of local distributors and poo poo. Makes me angry.

Yeah AUS gear prices are garbage. I once payed 350 bux for a Blackstar delay pedal. It sounded nice, but not $350 nice, and didnt last very long before it died... I usually just patiently trawl ebay for whatever pedal now and hope to get lucky with a second hand one.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Right now I've got a wholly amazing straight rock-and-roll setup: gibson into a friedman, with a boost, fuzz, tuner. I'm picking up a nice reverb for Xmas, too.

I'm not quite there, with the songs I really want to play straight, and playing so raw - with no modulation, delay, reverb, etc. means every single flaw is very starkly apparent. Part of my ferocious study of the instrument is to iron this out, but I would like some fun stuff which can make less technically demanding songs more fun and full. I have an Ibanez Chorus which I typically use on my clean channel, but there's got to be more.

I'd really like to just canvas for suggestions: I've considered at varying points the Ibanez Phase Shifter (which is really a delay), the EQD 'The Depths' univibe (Which would go well with some fuzzy doom), or even something like an OC-3 and AB-Y to go into a bass amp.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Welp, got myself a Flashback X4 for delay and loop nonsense. Is there any rule of thumb on how to make delay-as-effect work? That is, rather than as an always-on-ambience. I ask because as soon as I turn the level up I feel like I'm fighting it!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Turn down the feedback. Experiment with delay times. That's most of it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
For me it's all in the blend, don't overpower your dry signal. I find you need less than you first dial in usually.
I only use it sparingly on like two songs, just to add depth

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i go nuts usually my wet is almost as high as my dry otherise you cant really hear the delays but thats also cause i use a poo poo ton of verb

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well gently caress, it seems that my power supply just can't handle the majesty of this - it goes bonkers if I turn on or off any other pedals on my board. Turns out I should have checked the current draw before I bought it :(

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So returned it, and then took a long hard look at myself as to why I was powering my modest board (say, £200) into my hilariously expensive amp (£1750) with a £20, non-isolating power supply, whose noise floor was approximately the penthouse.

So I used that Flashback return fund to buy myself an MXR Iso-Brick.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Southern Heel posted:

So returned it, and then took a long hard look at myself as to why I was powering my modest board (say, £200) into my hilariously expensive amp (£1750) with a £20, non-isolating power supply, whose noise floor was approximately the penthouse.

So I used that Flashback return fund to buy myself an MXR Iso-Brick.

Since I see in the other thread (it can be so hard to keep track!) that you're back on the Analog Delay train, I figured I'd share my two tricks:
  • Playing in sync with the delayed notes, so that when you break off (preferably to some cool interval), you've created a cool "double image".
  • Setting a very short delay time, with feedback as high as you can get without overload, and dialing to blend to unity with your dry signal. Especially when used with compression, you can create some Spooky Sustain and even some violin effects. I like to layer up a nice sonic mush, and then cut through with my wah (which, to be sure, also has a volume boost).

Of course, I don't get to do any of that in my actual band, so use them as you will.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So using the DM-2w the standard longest delay is only like 0.3s so it's super short, but with about 50% feedback and 40% level is just a really nice ambience. I'm super happy to have something I can just turn on and be like "well that just sounds nice, doesn't it" without having to twiddle seventeeen dip-switches and knobs. The X4 definitely had this once it was dialled in, but (in the short time I had it, admittedly) I went through all the presets, found one I wanted and just stuck to that. The 'custom' toggle on the DM-2w does allow up to, I think, 900ms?

As for an 'effect' - "violin effects" is something I'm very excited to try, so thank you for that. I was thinking of getting an eBow and trying out some chamber music or violin sonata as I've been on quite a classical music train recently. Thank you for the tip.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Finishing up version two of my bass pedalboard. It is:

Line6 G70 9v / 350ma
Darkglass b3k 9v / 20ma
EHX micro pog 9v / 180ma
3Leaf Wonderlove 9v /25ma
3Leaf You’re Doom 9v / 25mA
Earthquaker Avalanche Run 9v / 425ma
Keeley Compressor Pro 9v / 50ma
Boss RC-3 9v / 70ma

...with a pair of Dunlop mini volume/expression pedals to control the expression inputs of the Wonderlove and the Avalanche Run.

Just trying to figure out power, and I think a TrueTone CS7 will work well - has two 500ma outputs for the G70 and Avalanche Run and then the remainder should be able to be isolated & split up however works using a couple of daisy chains. Has anyone tried these yet?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I realized I never posted this here - I've been writing up pedal repairs/mods for a little while now. Might be of interest to DIY fans. http://falseelectronics.blogspot.com

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I realized I never posted this here - I've been writing up pedal repairs/mods for a little while now. Might be of interest to DIY fans. http://falseelectronics.blogspot.com

cool

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

might get in your ear about a buncha broken delays i have otw

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Looking for a good flanger, budget around $125 with a hard cap of $200 for something really special.

Bonus points for "crazy as gently caress" as opposed to just an EVH one.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Gringostar posted:

Looking for a good flanger, budget around $125 with a hard cap of $200 for something really special.

Bonus points for "crazy as gently caress" as opposed to just an EVH one.

Try to find one of these used http://www.ehx.com/products/flanger-hoax

I had one for years was crazy fun.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Is there some kind of black magic secret to using a Wah? I feel like I just don't get it at all and I wonder if that's because I'm simply not familiar with it, or whether I only like it when it's manipulated by our lord and savior Kirkus M. Q. Hammett

You just gotta practice. Here's a video i did 6 years ago (ohgod) that has helped some people. You can see how sensitive everything is to very little movements, and placement of the pedal. It's all stuff you have to learn just by playing, alot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_D0DPzzFo

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
My secret to getting a good sound out of a wah:

1.) unplug the input and output

2.) lift it carefully

3.) throw it in the garbage

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

My secret to getting a good sound out of a wah:

1.) unplug the input and output

2.) lift it carefully

3.) throw it in the garbage

yes let's all listen to mr "just chain delays together" smash it smash hit about good sounds

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Shugojin posted:

yes let's all listen to mr "just chain delays together" smash it smash hit about good sounds

listen, i have a delay with reverb, a delay with fuzz, a delay with chorus/vibrato, a delay with tremolo - im not some one trick pony!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Have you considered a delay with a wah friend?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Have you considered a delay with a wah friend?

Are the delay and wah both affected by the sweep

That sounds like a zvex creation tbh

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Make a delay w/ ring mod imo

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Schpyder posted:

Make a delay w/ ring mod imo

i have that kinda already its a glitch/delay with modulation that can be set up very much like a ring mod

Shugojin posted:

i have something like that its a multi-fx that is controlled with a ball/blob that has a wah setting with a delay built in the same enclosure.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Shugojin posted:

You can do that with most multi effects like the hd500 or any of the fractal stuff.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have never owned a multi effects unit, unless you count software ones like Amplitube but I don't have an expression pedal for those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
An expression/general controller pedal makes Amplitube come to life. Still can't quite make the 'auto' mode on the wahs work with my FBV as i want though. On the other hand, mapping modulation rates is grand