Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Senator Brannan

I can only apologise to our distinguished President for the unseemly display of earlier - my temper at being confronted by such a man got the better of me. I thank him for his support of the Railway Act, which by my count now officially passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: Just want to remind everyone if you plan to visit the feast in Moroni, it will cost you at least 1 AP to travel there, and then to travel wherever you are going after that is done, if you don't plan to stay. Senators, you should plan to be in San Francisco for voting and government business. Governors, you should be back in your states. I want travel to be meaningful here, and inconvenient, because it really was at the time, and going from place to place was a big thing that took days, weeks or months. (5 months to go overland from the east coast to Sacramento, for example. Similar time to sail via Cape Horn to San Francisco.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Senator Samuel Brannan

On behalf of myself and my party, I wish to offer my support for SB 2, the Gold Tax Act.

This act performs two vital services. The first, and most necessary, is that it provides a new source of funding for our government. We've got big dreams, Gentlemen, but they will remain just that unless we find the means to convert them into reality. Should miners find success in our new nation, it only makes sense that they contribute a small percentage back.

Secondly, the formation of the California Rangers provides the necessary foundation for law and order in California. The dictates of the Legislature and Judiciary are worthless if they are not followed - may the California Rangers ensure they are!

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: Also I have been told I am misinformed as to where the dinner party is taking place. Since it's in San Francisco, all costs to attend are hereby rescinded! Eat and be merry in Yerba Buena!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
José de los Santos Berreyesa

I will attend the Feast as well.

President Kearny,

I present myself to you today in the hopes of serving this new, soon to be grand Republic of ours. I am an very experienced leader of men (OOC: Charisma 3, Command 5), and my family has been in California for many years. I am a known entity, and my reputation is beyond repute. I can furnish many references that will attest to this, as well as to my prior military experience. Additionally, the wise decisions of my father has left my family somewhat well off, and so I would be able to serve without the need to add to the burdens of our small nation with a salary or other consideration for myself. I implore you to consider investing me with the duties and powers necessary to see to the defense and protection of all Californians, be it as a leader of lawmen, or as an organizer of armies. I hope to have your answer soon.

Thank you for your time, and may God grant you wisdom in your leadership of our new Republic.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Senator Elliot Harding of Sierra State

After a brief stay in Downieville for business and relaxation, Harding returns to Yerba Buena to attend to his senatorial duties. (1 AP.)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Temporarily withdrawn.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 7, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

"Mr. President, Gentlemen of the Senate and the House of Representatives, I wish to bring a matter to your attention regarding the state of California's navy. The fact is, gentlemen, we will soon have no navy to speak of. The sailors are mutinous and many have already deserted. They hear of the fortunes to be made in the goldfields, and, before that, the thought of serving their country fades away. I therefore, intend, unless anyone has a better suggestion, to remove the majority of the Navy from active service, to build sheds and dockyards, and put them up, and then, once that is done, to let those sailors who would leave, leave. We cannot maintain the ships otherwise, and to do as I intend will preserve them for future use.

Building drydocks for the navy in San Francisco Bay using sailor labor, storing the ships, and then dismissing those sailors who want to leave. 3 AP

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 7, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jack Hays

I am happy to attend this feast, as long as I may do so armed.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Jack Hays

I am happy to attend this feast, as long as I may do so armed.

Senator Samuel Brannan

While I cannot speak for the Prophet, I see no reason why you should not be allowed to do so, as long as you have no intentions of using it!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jack Hays

Only if needed in self defense, you never know with these Republican anarchist types.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
President Kearny

On the subject of my cabinet, and the supreme court;

I've spen the last hours approaching the best and the brightest among the federalist party to fill the vacancies in my new administration. To the supreme court, and the cabinet I have nominated those among the federalist party offering the best to serve the nation. Some standout roles, that diverge from party lines yet still represent talented folk are to follow. I hope our noble senate will have no qualms with my suggestions to the court, and the cabinet.

Standout roles (ooc: actual players)

The honorable and just José de los Santos Berreyesa to head the newly created California troopers, rangers, federal brigands, or otherwise. His expertise in command, knowledge in the field, skillin the saddle, and bilingual traits make him an excellent man for the job, and I expect him to perform well in upholding federal law.

The fair Jessie Ann Benton Fremont to serve as the first Post Madame General of our nation, and to orchestrate the creation and operation of our first national mail office, the california post.

Further appointments may be to follow.

To the wise admiral stocktons suggestion of mothballing our fleet, I offer my full support until such a time as we have a proper and funded naval corp with which to utilize the vessels.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

I have no objection to either of the listed nominees, and will vote to confirm them both with my party. As such, they both are, having achieved a Senate majority.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mr. President, Senator, I humbly accept the post. I will begin recruitment post haste, and seek to begin collection as soon as possible. I intend to begin in the primary settlements, and then follow up with patrols along the nearby rivers.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

From an advertisement in the Alta California

Let it be known that Robt. Stockton is leading an EXPEDITION to the Northern Territories, for the purpose of EXPLORATION and SCIENTIFIC discovery, and to find SITES for future SETTLEMENT. He is therefore SEEKING men as GUIDES, HUNTERS, TRAPPERS, NATURALISTS, INTERPRETERS, SCOUTS, TRADERS, MAPPERS and SURVEYORS, as well as any with a spirit of ADVENTURE and DARING. Any interested should call on him in his office in the PRESIDIO in the town of YERBA BUENA, newly called SAN FRANCISCO or his AGENT, Zachariah Phillips in Tent Six in NEW HELVETA.

Heading an expedition up the coast towards what's now Crescent City, CA to map the land, look for potential settlement locations, study the animals and plants and trade with local Indians 5AP

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

Commodore Stockton

From an advertisement in the Alta California

Let it be known that Robt. Stockton is leading an EXPEDITION to the Northern Territories, for the purpose of EXPLORATION and SCIENTIFIC discovery, and to find SITES for future SETTLEMENT. He is therefore SEEKING men as GUIDES, HUNTERS, TRAPPERS, NATURALISTS, INTERPRETERS, SCOUTS, TRADERS, MAPPERS and SURVEYORS, as well as any with a spirit of ADVENTURE and DARING. Any interested should call on him in his office in the PRESIDIO in the town of YERBA BUENA, newly called SAN FRANCISCO or his AGENT, Zachariah Phillips in Tent Six in NEW HELVETA.

Heading an expedition up the coast towards what's now Crescent City, CA to map the land, look for potential settlement locations, study the animals and plants and trade with local Indians 5AP

James Sinclair

Um. Commodore? I, uh. The, uh. The expedition, I led, from Red River to, uh, the Willamette Valley? I could... uh, maybe, ask? If any of them are, um. Interested? Would that be useful?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charles Lucien Bonaparte
Ornithologist, Vice President

Private correspondence to Polish revolutionary and émigré Ludwik Mieroslawski

Dear Sir,

I read with admiration accounts of the rebellion by the Polish people against the tyrannical Prussian monarchy. The sacrifices by patriots such as yourself keep alive the dream of freedom for the Poles despite abuses by the murderers who call themselves kings and emperors.

A similar struggle against empire and tyranny is underway in the New World. A nation is being born on the Californian coast, founded on the ideals of liberty and justice, populated by every manner of individual, ranging from Negro gold miners to Swiss merchant bankers.

We have already taken a few steps on the path to a free nation by creating a democratic system and electing a president and legislature. The new government lacks competent bureaucrats and experienced statesmen, but we hope to recruit and train those in time, if enough people with conviction in the ideals of liberty hear of our attempt and come join us in making it succeed.

We are forging a new national identity, but we remember where we came from and we intend to act as a beacon for free peoples around the world. That is why I am requesting that republicans, nationalists and radicals from the Old World migrate here: though the revolutionary wave has seemingly spent its energy, dashing itself against the jagged rocks of monarchy with little visible result, together we can prove it was just the first of a veritable tsunami of liberty, a tidal wave of revolution with its epicentre in the New World republics.

As Deputy for Viterbo, I fought for the creation of a nation-state for the Italian people. When the Roman Republic was smashed by my tyrannical cousin and I was forced into exile, I decided to put my experience to use in the cause of liberty as best I could, and I beg that you do the same.

If you cannot come yourself, please spread word of our need and of the opportunity this represents to all who will listen.

If we combine our efforts, the fortunes made in the gold mines will arm our love for liberty with bayonets and bring the empires down on the tyrants' heads.

I have the honour to be,
Your faithful and obedient servant,
Charles Lucien Bonaparte
Vice President of the California Republic

Action: spend 4 AP writing to revolutionaries and intellectuals in Germany, France, Britain and Italy asking them to migrate to California

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: This is a cool map of Chinatown in San Francisco, but for anyone wondering what kinds of businesses and such people would want to run, this is a great example map. It's a bit hard to read but there are closeups, and you get an idea of the composition of a city in the mid-1800s.

http://www.mappingthenation.com/blog/mapping-vice-in-san-francisco/

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point

paragon1 posted:

I will attend the Feast as well.

President Kearny,

I present myself to you today in the hopes of serving this new, soon to be grand Republic of ours. I am an very experienced leader of men (OOC: Charisma 3, Command 5), and my family has been in California for many years. I am a known entity, and my reputation is beyond repute. I can furnish many references that will attest to this, as well as to my prior military experience. Additionally, the wise decisions of my father has left my family somewhat well off, and so I would be able to serve without the need to add to the burdens of our small nation with a salary or other consideration for myself. I implore you to consider investing me with the duties and powers necessary to see to the defense and protection of all Californians, be it as a leader of lawmen, or as an organizer of armies. I hope to have your answer soon.

Thank you for your time, and may God grant you wisdom in your leadership of our new Republic.

Pee Qa Chu

To show my dedication and service to the newly found republic, I humbly enlist to become a ranger under your charge.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I gratefully accept your service. As head of the California Rangers, I hereby entrust you with the duties, responsibilities, and authority of an enforcer of the law of this Republic as authorized by Congress. Welcome to the California Rangers! Here's your badge and pistol.

For your first task, I instruct you to go out among the people, and assist me in finding trustworthy men to safeguard the people of this Republic, and the collection of the Gold Tax. May God have mercy on both of us.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

OOC: Just clarifying the actions I'm actually taking.

José Castro

A rousing success all around at the convention I'd say. Congratulations to President Kearny.

I'd like to start by working on translating the Book of Mormon into Spanish. 2AP

And I'd also like to help Mr. Young with the feast by bringing the finest of my cultural foods. 1AP

As a suggestion, I believe we should set up a California Marshal Service with the express task of hunting down lawless criminals, both within the borders of our states, and out in the territories. Is there any support for such a group? Not an action

Finally, I'd like to lay out my plan in general for Eden:
Building a capitol building, making contact with Santa Barbara, writing the state constitution to include a highly centralized powerful governorship to include no term limits and governor appointing a group of six men who then elect senators and strong land rights for all people as well as an emancipation clause, developing the road infrastructure of Eden to aid my citizens in selling their farmed goods, sending word to my contacts in Mexico about the new opportunities and encouraging them spread the word about migration(drawing special attention to the instability under Santa Anna), verifying and recording land claims in official state documents, and establishing a bilingual school system for both children and adults who wish to learn both languages.
I'd like to search for and hire several native Americans (of both tribes) who already speak Spanish and/or English and enlist them into teaching all natives (of their tribe) in Eden the local languages.
I will also like to grant, from unclaimed lands, 20 acres of farmland, or 50 acres of ranchland, to anyone unlanded now living in Eden, to include natives, provided they speak a language I do.
From my personal wealth, I'd like to build a medium-sized, modest house along the coast near the city of Monterey to be gifted to President Kearny for his usage when not in the capitol, and whenever he retires from the Presidency.

Included in the state constitution will be a right to property and a right to emancipation. All men are free and welcome in Eden.

And lastly, I will travel to Monterey. 1 AP

Total of actions:
Translating Book of Mormon - 2 AP
Feast - 1 AP
Writing constitution(as specified above) - 5 AP
Sending letters to contacts in Mexico about immigration - 1 AP
Going to Monterey (118 miles) - 1 AP
Total: 10 AP

HarmB fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 10, 2016

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

Chief Ranger Berreyesa, it is my fervent hope that you uphold the sacred trust that the President has seen fit to place in you in a manner befitting the office you now hold. I have every faith you will, and in the process begin to bring law and order to a reckless frontier.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
OOC: FSAD, I think you should have a time on votes rather than "enough votes to passage." Unless I'm misunderstanding your governor actions, they need time to see the votes and potentially spend the AP to convince reprentaticea from that state. Tak, in particular, may have been disadvantaged.

Just a suggestion / thought as we think about how to simulate NPC characters in the Senate and especially the House.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jack Hays

A copy of a letter sent to various newspapers and politicians in Texas, Louisiana, Georgia and Virginia (4 ap)

quote:

Dear sirs,

The newfounded California Republic presents an opportunity to all of you. Each state in our new Republic has been given the chance to decide its own future; will it preserve the institutions that have built this continent, or will it follow the dark, radical path of abolitionism that the United States now faces? I know well the plight of the South, and while Texas stands as a beacon for reason the United States seems in danger of destroying our fundamental rights and freedoms that we all hold dear. Yankee tyranny bears down on you all, but there is another land yet that can still be saved.

It is true that some radicals at the convention made a number of poor decisions, but those can be easily turned back with your help. I encourage all Good Southerners to immediately make the journey to California and settle here. There is gold aplenty, more than enough to easily pull out of the river and fund your new empire in this great west. Once your fortune is established in the state of Jefferson, named after our great fellow southerner and Democrat, you I personally guarantee you an ample homestead in this state, a good government, and your fundamental rights as white men.

It is important that we establish ourselves here, for if we do not the same radicals destroying the United States will have free reign to do so across the world. And if California is lost, the South and even Texas will be even more alone.

Very truly yours,
Senator John Coffee Hays

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 7, 2016

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Paper With Lines posted:

OOC: FSAD, I think you should have a time on votes rather than "enough votes to passage." Unless I'm misunderstanding your governor actions, they need time to see the votes and potentially spend the AP to convince reprentaticea from that state. Tak, in particular, may have been disadvantaged.

Just a suggestion / thought as we think about how to simulate NPC characters in the Senate and especially the House.

OOC: This is a solid idea, and honestly, laws should only pass once an update rolls around anyway, since that's when they truly go into effect.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 7, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

quote:

James Sinclair

Um. Commodore? I, uh. The, uh. The expedition, I led, from Red River to, uh, the Willamette Valley? I could... uh, maybe, ask? If any of them are, um. Interested? Would that be useful?

Commodore Stockton

Mr. Sinclair,

I would be pleased by your assistance in this matter.

Yrs.

Robt. Stockton, Cmdre.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Brigham Young

OOC: The following is my action post, consolidated for FSAD's convenience. This is to take place after the feast is done.

A Farewell to Zion

1 AP to travel to moroni. (Probably ~80-100 miles, by boat or overland)

My friends and fellow founding fathers! I have enjoyed my weeks in Zion, and have already spoken far too long of the gravity and importance of our convention. I will say only that this beautiful city is one I shan't forget, and hope to frequent in the future. I will admit Mr. Brannan's extreme wisdom in choosing California for our new home, and feel confident that the interests of the Church and Republic will be properly represented with him in Zion.

So I say, farewell to Zion! I'm sure this is not my final visit, but I cannot say I know when I will return.

Heaven on Earth - The Founding of Moroni

6 AP go to this endeavor, the founding and construction of Moroni

People of Moroni!

I apologize for my prolonged absence! I return not empty handed, but full of pride, joy, and optimism. I know many of you were nervous when I departed to Zion, afraid that I might be walking into a trap, as many of our people have before.

But I return triumphant! We not only have a friend at the highest halls of government, our duly elected President Kearny, but we have been granted a state to call our own!

*raucous cheers*

Now, this will not be our home and ours alone. But I have been chosen as governor of this new state, and we will shape it according to our laws and customs, while respecting federal authority. I have been given assurances of our liberties - religion and militia among them - and have full faith in our ability to protect ourselves and create a home that will be the envy of all, near and far.

It is thus with great pride, and the blessing of our newly founded California Republic, that I officially found the city of Moroni, capital of the great State of Nimrod!

*cheers*

I have, of course, met with the finest urban planners (lol) in the city of Zion, and brought some with me, so that we might plan our capital and create a city of Earthly and Heavenly riches. I have also taken the liberty of naming nearby geographical features according to our customs.

The city itself, in greater detail, is found below on the map produced for me by the great cartographers and planners of Zion:

I have great plans for Moroni! Our Mormon Battalion brothers brought with them great riches from their travels to California, and combined with the Church's resources and future state taxes, we will build the city of Moroni and the State of Nimrod!

Among our priorities:

1. The dredging and digging of the rivers, to facilitate ship travel. This can double as a plan to later provide irrigation to outlying areas for farming, but the first stage is to widen and clear the San Joaquin River.
2. The creation of a pier, to be expanded gradually according to the above plan. This shall be dubbed "Brannan Dockworks", reflecting our brother Brannan's help in our endeavors.
3. The clearing of Smith plaza, to be the center of economic activity in the city.
4. Around Smith plaza, we will construct the following amenities:
-Inns and other houses for those travelling to the mines to make their stay in, with a book of mormon in each hotel room
-Bars, saloons, and other houses of entertainment
-General stores and other establishments to provide supplies for the miners
-A temple to serve as a place for the faithful to gather, while we await the construction of the Grand Temple

Make sure to order from Mr. Brannan first and foremost for all supply needs, providing our own agricultural goods produced in the surrounding fertile valley region.

OOC: If it is unclear, the one sentence summary - found a city, with the purpose of being a transportation hub for miners and a center of the faith, to make money off those heading to and returning from the mines and convert them to our religion.

Minor priorities:
4. The allotment and reservation of land for the Great Temple, which will serve as the center of our faith. We do not have resources to construct it at this time, but we wish to set aside the land for future use.
5. The allotment and reservation of land for the Young Capital Building, which will serve as the capital of Nimrod State. Again, later resources will be used to construct it.
6. The allotment and reservation of land for a rail station and rail lines. These will be built with assistance from the government.

On the Expansion of Our Faith

1 AP to this endeavor, the translation of the Book of Mormon

Jose Castro and Dong Reagan have generously offered some of their time to translate the book of Mormon to Spanish and Chinese, respectively. Send a team of two of our most studious and intelligent missionaries, one of which has some experience in Spanish (likely) or Chinese (less likely) if possible, to work with the men in translating the book of Mormon. This will take some time, but it is wise for us to begin the process immediately.

On Nimrod's Values

I realize I may be late in this, but the values of Nimrod are to be Mormonism and Commerce.

It is to be a state loyal to the faith, where all Mormons are welcome, and where they can live to create large families, pay their tithes, and otherwise serve their church. All who come through to work or live will feel the pressure to convert.

It is also to be a state of commerce. The Moroni docks will see many miners arrive, and the gold and agricultural products the region sends to San Francisco, and eventually, the world, will bring it great wealth. Mormon or not, great businessmen will feel at home here, as it is a hub for trade, travel, and overall commerce.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 7, 2016

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

President Kearny, Honorable Men of the Senate,

With humble gratitude I accept the position of Post Madame General for the Republic of California. My efforts will concentrate first on San Francisco itself as the perhaps soon-to-be capital of our great nation. I will be contacting the august members of the Senate for the drafting of a bill for the Postal Service itself.

In the meantime, to explain general concepts: My intent is to make to Postal Service self-sustaining through the issuance of one, five and ten cent stamps. To standardize rates based on weights and distance. To enhance the local process of drop-letters and implement the installation of drop-collections in San Francisco. To hire prospectors, suppliers and pioneers of virtue to be runners between camps and cities during their normal travel - to avoid competing directly with workers who would be better served striking for fortunes. To systematize in-city delivery, collection, engraving, packing, weighing, bonding and transcribing as women's work - to lure more immigrants of the fairer sex from neighboring states and to perhaps offer a more virtuous path to camp women who seek to find an escape from carnal professions.

Once a functioning system is established in San Francisco, I will approach other governors and mayors to facilitate expansion of Postal Offices into other cities.

Senator Brannon, please have your ledgermen contact me regarding rates for use or purchase of a press for postage stamps.

Once more, thank you all for this opportunity to serve our nation.

Yours in Grace,

--Mrs. Jessie Ann Benton Frémont, Post Madame General of the Republic of California

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 7, 2016

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Senator Harding votes in favor of confirming Mrs. Fremont and Senor Berreyesa for their respective posts.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

And Mr. Fremont, you flag is most agreeable. Is it possible to make it six stripes and six gold stars, to reflect our Republic's makeup? This would, of course, change as new states are added.

Governor Young,

Please find enclosed a mock-up of a flag to your specified interest, as well as an alternative that replaces the color white with the color gold, should we wish to replace the traditional Red-White-Blue of Old Glory with something more Californian.

I would be happy to discuss any thoughts you may have at your feastday. (Spending 1 AP for the shindig)

-Post Madame Jessie Ann Benton Frémont

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Gentlemen of the Senate,

I come before you today to humbly petition this body to pass legislation to help speed the recruitment of men into the California Rangers, and to assure that they will be men of good character. I request that such legislation contain the following items, or something similar.

Item 1: A guarantee of 120 acres of land in exchange for a period of service for the first 200 men recruited.

Item 2: A provision to ensure funding for the equipment necessary for the execution of a Ranger's duties (OOC:equivalent to 1 wealth), be it by loan guaranteed by gold revenue, a bond issue, or private donation.

Item 3: That plans be laid out for an Armored and Fortified Treasury building, in which to store the proceeds of the Gold Tax and keep records of such.

I thank this august body for its time, and hope that God grants it wisdom in its deliberations.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

John Sutter

Despite my extreme opposition to the ranger program and the funding mechanism, the fact that we have it now means we should at least make it work and help the chosen Chief Ranger carry out his mission as he sees fit. In fact, it says oodles that the Senators from the Golden Eagle Party and the Federalist party who brought this program into fruition are too busy working on feasts and other frivolity to help out Head Ranger Berreyesa.

As such I would like to introduce the Ranger Recruitment Act as SB4 (1AP) on behalf of the Head Ranger which reads as follows:

1. A guarantee of 120 acres of land in exchange for a period of service for the first 200 men recruited.
2. A provision to ensure funding for the equipment necessary for the execution of a Ranger's duties (OOC:equivalent to 1 wealth), be it by loan guaranteed by gold revenue, a bond issue, or private donation.
3. That plans be laid out for an Armored and Fortified Treasury building, in which to store the proceeds of the Gold Tax and keep records of such.

I obviously vote yes.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

I find it humorous that the Senator from Sierra would embrace a cause he so vociferously opposed, but not without taking time to get in attacks on his political enemies. I will reserve judgement on the bill until I can speak to President Kearny, who has indicated he may have his own plans for allocating funding for his branch.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 8, 2016

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

John Sutter

I am glad that the Senator from the big city can find humor in his party's lack of leadership on this issue. Regrettably, however, I am not quite so sure that the country thinks it is very humorous that the reason he was unable to help Mr. Berreyesa was because he and the rest of his compatriots were busy planning a massive feast!

I do hope the Senator enjoys it though -- I hear it will be lavish.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
President Kearny

Good gentleman of the senate, I wish to adress you today on a number of things.

First, and foremost, is the firebrand José de los Santos Berreyesa. By all due accounts, he is a somewhat radical, and passionate... man in his views. But is a man not entitled to his views? I fully back his right to speak as he will, as I back the rights of all men to speak as they will. However, speak[i, is the key word in support. I believe that he will [i]act with the utmost dignity befitting his office, and I maintain my commitment of faith in his leadership abilities. Yet, and I mean no threat, nor disrespect, to the good Mr Berreyesa, seeking only to quash the fears of the most vocal of his detractors, let me say unequivocally, that should he misuse the powers of his office, he will will find himself on the street, or hung by the neck, as according to the gravity of his offense. Yet, this is a fear I do not believe will come to pass. Though he has his ways about him, some among you are seeking to condemn a man who has not yet had his chance to act, and to display his ability, and where is the fairness in that I ask?

As for his proposals to the senate, I humbly support them all, and urge the federalist party to back them as well, should they find themselves proposed. However I feel that I must make a forcible distinction. The man offering wealth, is doing so purely out of noble and just civic virtue. Should I find evidence that he has, for lack of a better turn of phrase, simply bought preferentially, I would expect that there will be hell to pay in the courts.

As a final note on this subject, and one directed entirely to José de los Santos Berreyesa, In this im afraid I must be blunt, though my intention is not to chide you in front of the senate. Two of your proposals for the rangers had my direct backing, and I was informed of your intention. The third, which I adressed above has caught me blind, and I dont particularly like suprises. Though I can see the necessity of the measure.

Now, gentleman, let me digress to my main point of discussion. I wish to inform you of a budding revenue bill that I plan to have federal allies, or any noble senator willing to take the reigns, bring to session soon enough. However, before I further elaborate if wish the good men assembled to comment on the first two tennents I have worked out.

Namely the:
  • License on vice: a federal license to run legal sources of vice and sin, such as gambling houses, and strumpet houses. It's a sin we all know will occur, and federal regulation could turn a profit
  • The tariff act, a 5% tariff on seaborne goods to turn federal revenue.

If anyone assembled has suggestions for other sources of revenue, or complications involving the abstract of current proto-proposals, please bring it to my attention ahead of time, and I would be most thannkfull. I hope that the conclusion of mmy first year will see a federal office that can stand solvent, and being to lay the foundations for a future of prosperity.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 8, 2016

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

Given the President has weighed in, I will move to support the bill, with the following amendment:

*The Treasury is to be constructed in the current Capital.

A clarification, more than anything, and I assume unobjectionable.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Senator John Sutter

Mr. President, I will carry your revenue legislation on the condition that we add a provision that any surplus money is diverted back to the states at the end of the year. As we have discussed, the manner of which we might do that requires consideration. I personally am leaning towards returning the money in such a manner to be proportionate to the amount of taxes they paid. I would also be open to the idea of using population instead of taxes.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

James Sinclair

I, er. Have... uh. Reservations? I guess? about the tariff on shipping. Uh, see, the Hudson Bay Company has an agency here for, uh, provisioning trips, and it's, um. Not super busy, I guess? I think, because uh... they don't have, uh, lots of pelts, here.

Um. I also... uh, if. If ships are bringing in, goods. For a project, like the railroad. Is that, uh... is that exempt? And, uh, if ships are... taxed. Why aren't... why not land? I just... if... uhh... The trappers, here, will just send them up to Fort Vancouver by land, instead of the agency, and that's... bad, I guess? For me, and business here... uhhh... yeah...

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

Senator Samuel Brannan

Given the President has weighed in, I will move to support the bill, with the following amendment:

*The Treasury is to be constructed in the current Capital.

A clarification, more than anything, and I assume unobjectionable.

Mr. Sutter

I have no serious qualifications about the treasury being in the capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

I thank you for accepting the amendement as proposed, and as such the following passes:

SB 4

Item 1: A guarantee of 120 acres of land in exchange for a period of service for the first 200 men recruited.

Item 2: A provision to ensure funding for the equipment necessary for the execution of a Ranger's duties (OOC:equivalent to 1 wealth), be it by loan guaranteed by gold revenue, a bond issue, or private donation.

Item 3: That plans be laid out for an Armored and Fortified Treasury building, in which to store the proceeds of the Gold Tax and keep records of such, to be constructed in the Federal Capital.

• Locked thread