Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

That's a lot of ifs, though. They also outperformed their pythag by 10 games last season.

Exactly, so they are "pseudo" contenders the next two years, and then when they inevitably offer Machado and Harper all of the money under the sun in 2019 they are just straight up contending then.

My point is that Chapman is helpful in both of these situations.

Chris Sale is a way, way, way bigger injury concern than Chapman, and literally everyone was flipping their lids when the Red Sox dumped huge prospects for him.

Obviously Sale is cheaper than Chapman, and under a totally different contracts. But rich clubs can and should take high risk financial moves to win.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Harlock posted:

Here's a good take on Chapman imo. From the money, need, and off field perspective

http://riveraveblues.com/2016/12/thoughts-following-the-aroldis-chapman-signing-147969/

I'm less negative on the contract overall than Mike is, but yeah, he's dead-on with the off-field stuff.

In general Mike is usually right about stuff.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm less negative on the contract overall than Mike is, but yeah, he's dead-on with the off-field stuff.

In general Mike is usually right about stuff.

I like Mike a lot. Also, finding out that the deal has an opt-out after year 3 tempers my dislike of it a fair bit.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: ZiPS projection: Astros

V: :dawkins101:
That's a projection usually reserved for a player like Mike Trout.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

I like Mike a lot. Also, finding out that the deal has an opt-out after year 3 tempers my dislike of it a fair bit.

Opt outs NEVER work in favor of the team. You're better off just ignoring them.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Opt outs are good for the player, not the team.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Chapman is the first reliever since BJ Ryan in 2005 to get a 5-year deal. BJ Ryan, as you might remember, got TJS, lost his slider, and was released midway through the 4th year of his deal.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Harlock posted:

Here's a good take on Chapman imo. From the money, need, and off field perspective

http://riveraveblues.com/2016/12/thoughts-following-the-aroldis-chapman-signing-147969/

Mike is spot on as usual. I took a peak at the comments out of morbid curiosity and yeesh. I shouldn't be surprised because !SPORTS! but way too many people are like "I don't care about domestic violence and you shouldn't either." It's really gross.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tender Bender posted:

Mike is spot on as usual. I took a peak at the comments out of morbid curiosity and yeesh. I shouldn't be surprised because !SPORTS! but way too many people are like "I don't care about domestic violence and you shouldn't either." It's really gross.

I comment on RAB way too fuckin' much for the quality of discussion, but yeah there are a lot of incredibly stereotypical "KEEP IT ABOUT ON THE FIELD" people.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I comment on RAB way too fuckin' much for the quality of discussion, but yeah there are a lot of incredibly stereotypical "KEEP IT ABOUT ON THE FIELD" people.

Yeah there's a lot of "it's just a business!" talk as if anyone who isn't a team owner or employee should care about that. Baseball is emotional investment and entertainment, up to and including winning the world series.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I'm not sure this ever got answered when Chapman was traded, but what exactly would satisfy those of you who can't support Chapman due to the DV allegations and make him playing for the Yankees or the Cubs or whatever team not (to use what was said above) 'gross?' Is he permanently tainted because of the incident? Does he need to become an anti-DV spokesman or donate X% of his salary to one of the many support charities? Something else?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

quote:

In the minor league portion of the rule 5 draft, the Rockies took Los Angeles Angels AA catcher Anthony Bemboom.

That is a loving superb baseballer name.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CubsWoo posted:

I'm not sure this ever got answered when Chapman was traded, but what exactly would satisfy those of you who can't support Chapman due to the DV allegations and make him playing for the Yankees or the Cubs or whatever team not (to use what was said above) 'gross?' Is he permanently tainted because of the incident? Does he need to become an anti-DV spokesman or donate X% of his salary to one of the many support charities? Something else?

He shot a gun 8 times in order to intimidate his girlfriend, and then choked her.

Not sure what kind of "redemption" he deserves or could even get. He's not my friend or anything so I don't need to formulate an opinion more complex than "people who beat their partners are bad people"

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 8, 2016

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spoeank posted:

Kinda pissed that piece of poo poo garbage wife beater Aroldis Chapman got a ring and $86 million AND improved his current franchise via trade all in the last 6 months.

America is a great place to live if you're mean and stupid as gently caress.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

For me, speaking out about DV issues would be a good start, but firstly he should admit what he did and talk about why it was wrong - it'd be hypocritical as hell for him to talk about preventing DV while still maintaining his total innocence. Donating to an anti-DV charity would be great in addition, but if it's his sole concession it's just an empty gesture from a guy who could give away a hundred grand and not even notice.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

will_colorado posted:

That is a loving superb baseballer name.

Tony Bemboom is cooler than Joey Bats, and it's his real name!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

He shot a gun 8 times in order to intimidate his girlfriend, and then choked her.

Not sure what kind of "redemption" he deserves or could even get. He's not my friend or anything so I don't need to formulate an opinion more complex than "people who beat their partners are bad people"

I mostly agree, but a guy in his position does have a lot of influence, and if he can use that influence to honestly and willingly promote anti-DV causes then I feel that's better than doing nothing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

If he showed some suitable level of remorse I'd be more comfortable with having him on the team. I can't articulate what exactly that point is because it's not something you can quantify. I'm never going to be able to root for him on a personal level beyond basically a mechanism that enables my team to win games.

I don't think it's gross that the team employs him because for them it IS a business. I would call it disappointing though. I think it's gross that so many people not only look past it, but pressure others to also look past it and chide them for being focused on "irrelevant issues". It's much more prevalent in places outside these forums.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 8, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CubsWoo posted:

Probably nothing.

And like I get it, I'm not going to try and shame someone for hating a dude forever for something like that. And that discussion just isn't interesting path to follow or argue about people with. It's a fairly binary thing.

Personally I don't care. as I know if it was my job to put together a winning team in any sport I would draft and sign all of the well playing problematic players in the world, I would have it set up so I could cut bait so they have to remain on their best behavior, or stick to short term deals. But it's not like I'm going to get a reprieve from as a Team president or GM if I only draft nice upstanding citizens. (Though if you do this don't botch the press conference tell people straight up this is about winning, don't try and push a change narrative, that poo poo will come naturally if he actually changes plays well. Also don't gloat about how he impressed ownership because he paid for his own plane ticket. Dear god don't do the loving last one.)

I just wish our legal system wasn't such loving garbage, and easy for the rich and famous to use to their advantage. If that was the case this wouldn't be such a problem.

Edit: Besides people who still have a crazy amount of hate for Mike Vick. That dude served his time, admitted fault, and has probably done more and helped more animals than he ended hurting from dog fighting since getting out.

Like sure don't like the dude and what he did. But nothing has ever gotten me more angry about a sports fandom than people who bash Vick and then turn around and support Big Ben.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 8, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Tender Bender posted:

If he showed some suitable level of remorse I'd be more comfortable with having him on the team. I can't articulate what exactly that point is because it's not something you can quantify. I'm never going to be able to root for him on a personal level beyond basically a mechanism that enables my team to win games.

I don't think it's gross that the team employs him because for them it IS a business. I think it's gross that so many people not only look past it, but pressure others to also look past it and chide them for being focused on "irrelevant issues". It's much more prevalent in places outside these forums.

I understand this. I'm personally able to separate Chapman the player from Chapman the off-field person but I don't think anyone who can't do the same is wrong. We all have our personal feelings and experiences and I don't think anyone should be forced or pressured to look past the Chapman incident if what he did makes him an irredeemable shithead in their eyes. I don't know if anything will ever change since Chapman has been adamant from the start that the only thing he did wrong was fire the gun.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tanya Bondurant is doing a cool thing in reaction to the Chapman signing.

CubsWoo posted:

I understand this. I'm personally able to separate Chapman the player from Chapman the off-field person but I don't think anyone who can't do the same is wrong. We all have our personal feelings and experiences and I don't think anyone should be forced or pressured to look past the Chapman incident if what he did makes him an irredeemable shithead in their eyes. I don't know if anything will ever change since Chapman has been adamant from the start that the only thing he did wrong was fire the gun.

I'm in a similar boat to you, but I would also like him to admit that was he did is totally unacceptable even if it was "just" firing his gun into a wall several times.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I dislike Chapman and I think that he's been pretty wishy-washy in regards to his blame in the DV incident and expressing any genuine remorse over it, but at the end of the day I'm not going to throw shade at the Yankees for overlooking his off the field baggage in singing him. My team acquired and directly benefited from having Chapman on the team, and I think it's pretty non-controversial to say that without Chapman the Cubs do not win the World Series. Considering the joy I've seen the WS win bring friends, family (my dad in particular :unsmith:), and the city of Chicago, I'd rather have a WS win with him than no WS win without him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
In other pitcher news, I'm super excited to see the NCAA-schools-on-steroids wooing that teams will be doing to Ohtani next year.

Also apparently the Athletics, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Nationals, Padres, Reds, and Royals will all still be under a $300k cap for IFAs so :byewhore:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Inspector_666 posted:

In other pitcher news, I'm super excited to see the NCAA-schools-on-steroids wooing that teams will be doing to Ohtani next year.

Also apparently the Athletics, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Nationals, Padres, Reds, and Royals will all still be under a $300k cap for IFAs so :byewhore:

The cubs have a jake arrieta sized issue to spend a fuckload of money on instead

I hope he joins the yankees because I'd like to watch him in person but not have the cubs actually face him ever

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In Dexter Fowler news, he apparently has a 4/60 deal on the table from the Cardinals, but is reluctant to sign because of "clubhouse culture" issues, with Matheny in particular apparently being an issue.

What the hell did Heyward tell him :stare:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

For loving Gurriel :sigh:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Sydin posted:

In Dexter Fowler news, he apparently has a 4/60 deal on the table from the Cardinals, but is reluctant to sign because of "clubhouse culture" issues, with Matheny in particular apparently being an issue.

I couldn't find a picture of it that didn't destroy the tables here but just pretend I posted :fredbirdpolicelivesmatter:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

"He'll ask you to bunt and you can't take walks"

:yikes:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sydin posted:

e: beaten

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Chapman's job is to get people to cheer for him.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cashman worked magic all season getting rid of garbage and accruing farm pieces then they go and spend 80+ mil on a closer on a rebuilding team. what the heck? well good luck I guess

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MinibarMatchman posted:

Cashman worked magic all season getting rid of garbage and accruing farm pieces then they go and spend 80+ mil on a closer on a rebuilding team. what the heck? well good luck I guess

The Yankees fully intend and expect to be contenders again by the opt-out, and Chapman is available this year, not next or 2018. I don't really get why people are so baffled.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yankees were an above .500 team and 5 back of the wild card. Sure they aren't legitimate WS contenders in 2017, but the playoffs aren't out of the question and they will only be getting stronger in the next few years.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The Yankees aren't going to tank it for 3 years then compete with their drafted talent-- someone else saved them the trouble by giving them that talent for some relievers. The rebuild was over, the waiting game begins.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

New Concept Hole posted:

The Yankees aren't going to tank it for 3 years then compete with their drafted talent-- someone else saved them the trouble by giving them that talent for some relievers. The rebuild was over, the waiting game begins.

They are still pretty much rebuilding or they would've tried for Sale and signed EE.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I mean yeah but the issue doesn't seem to be with the fanbase, it appears to be with how Matheney runs the ship. I know Cards fans love to poo poo on him for not being able to manage his way out of a paper bag, but it's the first I've heard of players complaining.

e. In other news:

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/806973811715407876

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If Matheny is the reason the Cardinals can't sign an ATHLETIC outfielder then I sure am glad the FO just extended him for three years.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/806978751833772032

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The reason Fowler isn't signing with the Cardinals is most likely because of Matheny and it's absolutely insane he's going to be an anchor on this team for potential free agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!

Did we get Torres?

• Locked thread