Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Schizotek posted:

I moved in with a black roommate this year and discovered that apparently its a big thing to drink cognac straight. I regret giving him permission to drink it, because I've gone through like three bottles this semester but I don't wanna tell him he can't anymore. Not really the price, especially since I get a decent bit of free weed I give away to other people because I don't smoke outside of social situations myself, but I only use that stuff for cooking, and I've had to go to the store to get more in the middle of cooking. Stressful as gently caress, when cooking is my stress relief activity.
You should have known better than giving the green light to Ladies Man Tim Meadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

pangstrom posted:

Yeah now that you mention it that's true. The Witch and Ex Machina are on my list.

They also produced moonlight which is completely ripping up the critic and indie awards critic and is expected to get a good couple of Oscar nods

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

kustomkarkommando posted:

They also produced moonlight which is completely ripping up the critic and indie awards critic and is expected to get a good couple of Oscar nods
Oh I didn't know that was theirs, too. Yeah after last year's "issue" that has to up its chances quite a bit. I haven't seen it yet, but Anderson Cowan liked it a lot.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

other things i have lined up to watch as part of my end of year "I don't live anywhere near an art house cinema" catch up: the fits, childhood of a leader, krisha, Elle

just watch the new harry potter movie my dude

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
tv show concept:

tlc-style house hunting show featuring little people who suddenly come into major cash looking for 10,000 sqft and larger homes: tiny people, big houses

followed by retired nba stars and people with gigantism looking to get back to basics and join the tiny house movement: big people, tiny houses

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Schizotek posted:

I moved in with a black roommate this year and discovered that apparently its a big thing to drink cognac straight. I regret giving him permission to drink it, because I've gone through like three bottles this semester but I don't wanna tell him he can't anymore. Not really the price, especially since I get a decent bit of free weed I give away to other people because I don't smoke outside of social situations myself, but I only use that stuff for cooking, and I've had to go to the store to get more in the middle of cooking. Stressful as gently caress, when cooking is my stress relief activity.

this is why a collective alcohol shopping lis is a must

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i think i'll drink cognac old fashions tomorrow

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

drink cognac straight you fools it's excellent liquor

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if i can just keep pouring alcohol into my glass without going through the ritual of preparing a new cocktail i end up drinking dangerous amounts, so i no longer drink anything straight or anything that can be prepared ahead of time in large portions

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Schizotek posted:

Grow a set and tell him to stop drinking your booze and get his own you pansy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Schizotek posted:

Why'd you have to specifically say he was black

That's weird. Why not just say a roommate? Why did you specifically want to point out his race?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

or just check to see if you have enough before you start cooking

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
and motivation official sapped

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Badger of Basra posted:

or just check to see if you have enough before you start cooking

yeah, you're loving up on your mis en place

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Hollismason posted:

That's weird. Why not just say a roommate? Why did you specifically want to point out his race?

Because the drinking cognac is A Black Thing the way using cocoa butter is A Black Thing. Sure, theoretically some white people also drink cognac straight, and some might use cocoa butter. But I've never loving me them.
But apparently cognac is like, the spirit of choice in the American Black community.

e: I mean I've drank with black people before, but they were all from Mayonnaiseville Florida, wheras the room mate is from a majority black community.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 9, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Schizotek posted:

Because the drinking cognac is A Black Thing the way using cocoa butter is A Black Thing. Sure, theoretically some white people also drink cognac straight, and some might use cocoa butter. But I've never loving me them.
But apparently cognac is like, the spirit of choice in the American Black community.

e: I mean I've drank with black people before, but they were all from Mayonnaiseville Florida, wheras the room mate is from a majority black community.

I think drinking Cognac is probably more of a French thing than a black thing.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

V. Illych L. posted:

drink cognac straight you fools it's excellent liquor

but how will i make steak au poivre

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
man i'm white and old as gently caress and even i know hennessey features heavily in rap

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I think drinking Cognac is probably more of a French thing than a black thing.

Since you had be doubting the value of my anecdote, I decided to look around and:

On cognac sales posted:

they export more than 97 percent of it, according to the tourist board of Poitou-Charentes, the administrative region where Cognac is located. The U.S. is the biggest single customer, with African-Americans accounting for a large majority of those sales.
Like, I dunno. I don't think it's a huge deal to point out that different cultures might have different common tastes in alcohol.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Aeryk posted:

man i'm white and old as gently caress and even i know hennessey features heavily in rap

couveissier is just another word for hennessy

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Gin and Juche posted:

couveissier is just another word for hennessy

courvoisier*

and i recognize courvoisier from pop culture more than hennessy but i'm not sure why that is

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hollismason posted:

Are we going to pretend that henny is not popular among black people? The dude is sheltered as gently caress white boy who told a roommate he could use his henny and now is scared to tell him stop, I guess because of his blackness?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's well known that black people turn into demons

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh no the identity thread is coming from inside the chat

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
ban identities

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aeryk posted:

ban identities

dolly told me to be proud of who i am

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
we are all dolly now

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Badger of Basra posted:

courvoisier*

and i recognize courvoisier from pop culture more than hennessy but i'm not sure why that is

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

man barry knows how to dress, even in the choom gang days

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Are we going to pretend that henny is not popular among black people? The dude is sheltered as gently caress white boy who told a roommate he could use his henny and now is scared to tell him stop, I guess because of his blackness?

Yeah, I'm not scared the dweeby comp-sci major is gonna beat me up cuz i told him to stop drinking my glorified cooking sherry. I also spent a decent chunk of my youth, and most of my adult life up to this point in a minority majority neighborhood. Just not a black one.

I just think it would be rude to withdraw permission over something this dumb. Like I said its a give and take thing, I was just expecting he would drink my whiskey or beer, as opposed to something I primarily viewed as a cooking aid that had to be bought from ABC.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
start cooking with whiskey

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Aeryk posted:

heathen

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Aeryk posted:

There is a budget whiskey a friend bought a handle of called Parker Hayes that tasted like rubbing alcohol strained through charcoal that we just couldnt drink even mixed.

However we did find that on a charcoal grill not only did it make good lighter fluid but it added a much smokier flavor to the meat.

here it is https://distiller.com/spirits/hayes-parker-bourbon

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

bourbon i guess is actually good because it tends to be sweeter than something like scotch, which is what you want from a good flambe spirit.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

my hot take: drinking cognac is good, racism is bad, shared alcohol shopping lists/budgets are good, roommates are unavoidable, as no one itt will ever be able to afford property in a Good City (tm).

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
i have a bottle of early times in the cabinet that someone brought to a party that i tried once and that was good enough

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Octatonic posted:

my hot take: drinking cognac is good, racism is bad, shared alcohol shopping lists/budgets are good, roommates are unavoidable, as no one itt will ever be able to afford property in a Good City (tm).

my room mates are all assholes, none of them pay rent, but at least one puts out

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

if you don't wanna be awkward about withdrawing permission or w/e, just buy some cooking brandy, for food, and mention and/or label it as such.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

this is def. why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Aeryk posted:

my room mates are all assholes, none of them pay rent, but at least one puts out

:chloe:

• Locked thread