Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I just reinstalled Windows and started a clean Firefox profile, and uBlock Origin is... different. It's like more compact now? I open it from the toolbar icon and no longer see the giant list of exactly what's being blocked or allowed with numbers and lots of red and green.

Is there a way I can get that display back? I need to specifically diagnose some specific element blocks.

Go to the settings menu for Ublock, and check off "I am an advanced user," I think that'll enable the blocked/allowed list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

spit on my clit posted:

Go to the settings menu for Ublock, and check off "I am an advanced user," I think that'll enable the blocked/allowed list
Checked that box, it did open up a settings menu if I click the little gears next to it, but it didn't make the change automatically. Is there a specific phrase to type in advanced settings?

edit: To make it clearer, there's something like what I'm used to - maybe I had an old version? The thing I had was probably literally ten times larger and each specific row would be colored to indicate a thing, rather than this tiny font and condensed cells.

edit2: Apparently I am an idiot, or else uMatrix stole the UI wholesale, but I bet I just had that and was a moron all along. I will stick with UO!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 13, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Checked that box, it did open up a settings menu if I click the little gears next to it, but it didn't make the change automatically. Is there a specific phrase to type in advanced settings?

edit: To make it clearer, there's something like what I'm used to - maybe I had an old version? The thing I had was probably literally ten times larger and each specific row would be colored to indicate a thing, rather than this tiny font and condensed cells.

edit2: Apparently I am an idiot, or else uMatrix stole the UI wholesale, but I bet I just had that and was a moron all along. I will stick with UO!

Same author but yeah that sounds like you were using uMatrix.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

astral posted:

Same author but yeah that sounds like you were using uMatrix.
Well that explains... some of it. How I got them confused I'll never know. And why does the dude have two separate addons?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well that explains... some of it. How I got them confused I'll never know. And why does the dude have two separate addons?

The short version is they both descended from HTTP Switchboard, an earlier addon of his. uBlock is more focused on blocking ads etc based on patterns (url & cosmetic) while uMatrix is a granular matrix-based blocker for all different types of content.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
While we're on the subject:

I've noticed over the last month or so that YouTube is suddenly able to sneak through lovely adverts, past uBlock Origin. I assume they're inserting them directly into the video stream; they can appear at any time during a video.

Anyone got any idea how to block them? They're intensly annoying.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sergeant Rock posted:

I've noticed over the last month or so that YouTube is suddenly able to sneak through lovely adverts, past uBlock Origin. I assume they're inserting them directly into the video stream; they can appear at any time during a video.

uBlock origin is just applying pre-built, separately maintained & updated filter subscriptions.

It will block anything that those filter lists can identify.

You need to look in the filter subscription options page and see if any extra youtube related filters can be turned on, or go look for a filter list which claims to work for youtube elsewhere.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

wooger posted:

uBlock origin is just applying pre-built, separately maintained & updated filter subscriptions.

It will block anything that those filter lists can identify.

You need to look in the filter subscription options page and see if any extra youtube related filters can be turned on, or go look for a filter list which claims to work for youtube elsewhere.

Yeah, I know. I've had a search, but all I can find is other people complaining about the same thing, which is a recent occurrence, so I'm assuming Google/YT have messed with their codebase in the last month or so...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sergeant Rock posted:

Make sure you haven't accidentally disabled auto-updates in the third party filter tab too.

Otherwise I'd guess they're doing some kind of A/B testing because, while I haven't seen any ads yet, I've seen a newer flatter layout in private windows every so often.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Does anyone know good alternatives that work with multiprocess for the following addons:
Element Properties
Image Zoom
Kill Infinite Scroll

Those are the only ones I've got that aren't compatible with it and I'm not willing to let go of.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
e: Nevermind

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It shows the same ads for Chrome.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty funny. I wonder if that's illegal in europe and they're gonna get shat on again

astral
Apr 26, 2004

that almost makes me want to turn on the windows setting to show tips, tricks, and suggestions

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Hey, did you know that you can get one month of Office for free???

astral
Apr 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Hey, did you know that you can get one month of Office for free???

as a matter of fact, yes! I found that out when I was redeeming the free year of office 365 I received for putting a 5gb sparse file in my onedrive before the limits changed

now I am working on my 13 free months of office. :shobon:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Since upgrading to 50.0.2, any time I open a new tab, it automatically places the cursor in the URL bar, and makes the bar blank. Is there any way to make it stop doing this?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kheldarn posted:

Since upgrading to 50.0.2, any time I open a new tab, it automatically places the cursor in the URL bar, and makes the bar blank. Is there any way to make it stop doing this?

I'm on version 50.1.0

maybe you need to update?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I can't remember a time when Firefox didn't do this, what behaviour would you like it to have? "about :blank" or "about :newtab" in the url bar and no active element?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Read posted:

I can't remember a time when Firefox didn't do this, what behaviour would you like it to have? "about :blank" or "about :newtab" in the url bar and no active element?

What I want it to do is just open a new tab, and not have any focus anywhere. It did it just fine until I updated to 50.0.2.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Why? What purpose does that serve?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

What I want it to do is just open a new tab, and not have any focus anywhere. It did it just fine until I updated to 50.0.2.

I'm not sure how that's possible unless you were using an extremely old version of Firefox. Some quick googling suggests that focusing the address bar on new tabs has been default functionality since at least Firefox 40.

You could write a Greasemonkey script that runs "window.focus();" on about :blank or about :newtab, whichever you use as your new tab page.

You could install an addon like Custom New Tab which should let you keep the focus on the page as long as you leave the relevant setting unchecked.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

Why? What purpose does that serve?

When I open a new tab, I don't need to have the focus on the address bar, because there's already something in it. Firefox puts the focus there, and makes it empty. If I hit Escape, or click on a non-link on the webpage, then it puts the URL back. This even happens if I go to Bookmarks, and chose to open something in a new tab.

Read posted:

I'm not sure how that's possible unless you were using an extremely old version of Firefox. Some quick googling suggests that focusing the address bar on new tabs has been default functionality since at least Firefox 40.

You could write a Greasemonkey script that runs "window.focus();" on about :blank or about :newtab, whichever you use as your new tab page.

I don't use about :blank or about :newtab, and I have no idea how to write a GM script.

Read posted:

You could install an addon like Custom New Tab which should let you keep the focus on the page as long as you leave the relevant setting unchecked.

I tried Custom New Tab, and that didn't work.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 16, 2016

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I don't use about :blank or about :newtab, and I have no idea how to write a GM script.

Oh, it doesn't matter what page you use - I just assumed because that's what most people use.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name  Focus new tab page
// @namespace  Kheldarn
// @description Focus the page on a new tab
// @include     <regex or exact url matching your page>
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==
window.focus();
Although..... I'm not sure this will prevent it from emptying the urlbar, it should definitely focus the page.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Still not working. Probably because I'm using a file on my local hard drive, and not an actual website?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You apparently need special about:config switches set to allow GreaseMonkey to touch non-http(s) things.

Try setting extensions.greasemonkey.fileIsGreaseable to true in about:config, maybe that'll help.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I don't know why it is behaving like that for you. If I click the New Tab Button, or press CTRL+T, it opens a blank tab and focuses the URL bar (which I desire). If I click Bookmarks from the menu bar, right click a bookmark, and select Open in New Tab, it opens the bookmark in a new tab, focuses that tab, and puts the focus on the page itself.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Still not working. Probably because I'm using a file on my local hard drive, and not an actual website?

Yeah I tested it myself just now with no luck. I used to do a similar thing with a local file as my newtab, so I tried just adding the JS to that

code:
window.onload = function() {
	window.focus();
}
But that doesn't work either, which makes sense in hindsight, you don't want to have JS be able to prevent a user from focusing outside the webpage or it'd be very easy to abuse.

I checked Custom New Tab, and that works fine for me. I'm not sure why it doesn't for you, or what else to try.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well, this is weird. Sometime in the last few week's worth of updating, my 64bit version has changed to a 32bit version.

I only used the update prompts Firefox put up or via the Help>About menu.

I'm downloading the 64bit version now, but I honestly have no idea how this happened.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Kheldarn posted:

When I open a new tab, I don't need to have the focus on the address bar, because there's already something in it. Firefox puts the focus there, and makes it empty. If I hit Escape, or click on a non-link on the webpage, then it puts the URL back. This even happens if I go to Bookmarks, and chose to open something in a new tab.
Are you talking about opening a new tab, or opening a link in a new tab? If you're just opening a new tab, what do you expect to already be in the address bar?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Found out why my Firefox was 32bit. I went on the beta release ages ago to try and solve some problems and then (I thought) went over to 64bit after downloading and installing that version.

I even edited channel-prefs.js to get rid of any beta references like Mozilla support suggested. But that wasn't enough.

You also have to edit about:config and go to app.update.channel and manually change it from 'beta' to 'release'.

Now let's see what tomorrow brings.

Next day edit: God loving dammit :eng99:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 19, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can anyone recommend a form autofiller extension that isn't rubbish?

Ideally it should integrate with Firefox's autofill data. Ideally it would sync (does browser HTML5 storage sync? I assume not.)
Should not require any "profiles" or "saving" of forms.
Should learn values for future autofill, like Firefox already stores.
Should have a shortcut key, not yet another toolbar button. :psyduck:

So basically as much like Safari as possible.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
apparently the snaplinks dev is a huge baby: http://cpriest.github.io/SnapLinksPlus/updated.html

anyone have a decent replacement?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well, this is weird. Sometime in the last few week's worth of updating, my 64bit version has changed to a 32bit version.

My eyes bulged out for a second there. I thought I was reading the Windows 10 thread :v:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It looks like the Firefox 51 (current beta version) is allowing multi-process to be enabled no matter which extensions you have installed. That explains why I felt that Firefox 51 had big performance gains. It also explains why "Google Redirects Fixer" has been making GBS threads the bed for the past few weeks.

EDIT: Aaaand I've replaced "Google Redirects Fixer" with Don't Track Me Google, which is multi-process compatible and isn't broken.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 23, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

My eyes bulged out for a second there. I thought I was reading the Windows 10 thread :v:

That's the last bloody thing I need at this point.

EDIT: You got me paranoid so I had to go check. Thankfully, Windows is still 64 bit.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 23, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
So I have umatrix, ublock origin, noscript, and https anywhere installed, it seems to me that https anywhere doesn't do anything, and umatrix does what noscript does but has a better ui?

Is there a best practice to using umatrix? I mean should I block frames and script as a general rule, or go by site? I think I am messing up, because it seem to be doing more when I first installed it, and now it lets a lot more through, maybe because I am adding permission to the * option and not the specific website url in that drop down menu?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is there any point to having Flash any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Web games and some embedded videos.