Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Hai, kazuma des.

Are the drama CD's good? And is there any other supplemental content that I could theoretically dig into without just straight up reading the LN translation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
They're fine, but you really should just read the LN.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Anyone have a general idea of what the second season is about? Do they ever leave town?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The second season should cover at minimum volumes 3 and 4. Volume 3 is the issue where Darkness finally becomes a real character (she wasn't actually supposed to reveal her identity to Kazuma at the end of the first season, they just threw that in there so she would have something), while volume 4 covers Aqua's wonderful religion.

If we're lucky they'll do volume 5 too, but we are far more likely to end the season on volume 4's amazing cliffhanger.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Volume 3 is the issue where Darkness finally becomes a real character (she wasn't actually supposed to reveal her identity to Kazuma at the end of the first season, they just threw that in there so she would have something)

Can anyone summarize that again?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

nielsm posted:

Can anyone summarize that again?

I think she was the heiress to an important family or something? I kinda forget too.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

:mmmsmug: Lalatina. :mmmsmug:

e: Did anyone post the season 2 subbed pv? I didn't see it.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 5, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Darkness's real name is Lalatina von Dustiness. Well, at least I hope they'll translate it as Dustiness because that's such a goofy name.

Anyways the Dustiness familly is A Big Deal, and pretty much second to only the royal crown in status. Darkness actually being really important is supposed to be a gag that comes after two volumes of her being completely nuts, and in fact volume 3 has a scene where she breaks the news and nobody else in the party believes her.

Not sure how they'll handle that gag now that she's already told Kazuma though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Lalatina also sounds like a really girly name that's completely unsuited for a heavily armored masochist.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

BlitzBlast posted:

Darkness's real name is Lalatina von Dustiness. Well, at least I hope they'll translate it as Dustiness because that's such a goofy name.

Anyways the Dustiness familly is A Big Deal, and pretty much second to only the royal crown in status. Darkness actually being really important is supposed to be a gag that comes after two volumes of her being completely nuts, and in fact volume 3 has a scene where she breaks the news and nobody else in the party believes her.

Not sure how they'll handle that gag now that she's already told Kazuma though.

My prediction is that she'll turn to Kazuma for backup and he'll be idly picking his nose or something.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Lalatina also sounds like a really girly name that's completely unsuited for a heavily armored masochist.

That might be, the joke

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Incidentally, even though Darkness finally becomes a real character in volume 3 the anime format is still gonna screw her over. Her plot is a slow boil, and doesn't wrap up until volume 8, arguably volume 9.

Since I actually do like the main thrust of it, though, I'll give the cliff notes: Darkness is a crazy masochist nut among friends, but tries to be an upstanding noblewoman fit for her heritage in public. This divide really bothers her, as she isn't sure which one is the real her. She sees a little of her situation in Kazuma since he's both a lazy jackass and surprisingly capable, so she eventually straight up asks him which person he really is. His reply is that she's overthinking things: people may act differently depending on the situation and how they feel at that moment, but that doesn't mean they suddenly become different people.

I'd go as far as to say Darkness is probably the most developed character in the cast, which is really funny considering how she starts. Too bad her best moments still won't be in this season.

EDIT: As another note, one of the things I like a lot about Konosuba is that while the cast really does develop a lot, Kazuma and Aqua stay almost entirely the same people from the beginning to the end. Those two morons are perfect the way they are. :3:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 6, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

That was one of the top five moments of the season IMO.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
The long awaited PV for the second season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jVxMt845AY

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yessssssssssss :toot:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The explosions...are evolving!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Subbed version too.

https://streamable.com/wfux

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

You're good people a kitten. :hfive:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kaptain posted:

The long awaited PV for the second season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jVxMt845AY

It features Aqua running from another giant frog. Well, I'm sold.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

StandardVC10 posted:

It features Aqua running from another giant frog. Well, I'm sold.

I saw a fancy explosion, a big frog, and Kazuma crying, sold!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Aqua appears to still be going commando as well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

MonsterEnvy posted:

Aqua appears to still be going commando as well.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the nendo does indeed reflect that fact apparently

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

the nendo does indeed reflect that fact apparently

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly a theory is that Aqua wears invisible panties, that way no one will see them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

nendo butts drive me nuts

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What show was it where a girl had a skirt enchanted with a spell of Constantly Almost, but not quite Letting You See Her Panties?

e:Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

a kitten posted:

What show was it where a girl had a skirt enchanted with a spell of Constantly Almost, but not quite Letting You See Her Panties?

e:Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?

Best overpowered MC. Also DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading the translated LN (or is it a WN?) of this and it's some pretty great stuff. Very funny and feels more competently written than most other WNs/LNs.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I read some of the manga and it gave me such a new respect for the anime. I think this is one of the shows where changes they made in the anime really improved the humor and flow, and where the voice actors just bring the entire thing to life in such an unmatched quality.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Nalin posted:

I read some of the manga and it gave me such a new respect for the anime. I think this is one of the shows where changes they made in the anime really improved the humor and flow, and where the voice actors just bring the entire thing to life in such an unmatched quality.

Yes, I'm Kazuma.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'd argue more that the manga is honestly just kinda a bad adaption, but I think if I recommend reading the LN any harder I'd just turn people off. :v:

Really most of the changes the anime makes are just cutting things for the sake of fitting two volumes into a cour, which... kinda comes back to bite it a lot because Konosuba is one of those stories where everything is relevant at some point. S1 skipped Wiz's introduction (which notably confused a lot of people), the party swap (which led to Dust and co coming out of nowhere), and Keele's Dungeon (which is an important location for volume 3).

Ytlaya posted:

I've been reading the translated LN (or is it a WN?) of this and it's some pretty great stuff. Very funny and feels more competently written than most other WNs/LNs.

It's a LN. There is an existing WN, and it's actually complete, but it's very much a first draft of the story. The LN makes a lot of changes for the better.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 20, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

「かずま!かずま~!」

「はい -かずまです」

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think what makes this series work so well despite the kind of questionable premise is the fact that the party has really good chemistry and the dialogue between them feels really natural (and funny as a result).

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can we reinstate the DEEN meme now?