Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I will give it another shot then. Is there a thread or decent guide to follow to tell me what to buy and mods to install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I will give it another shot then. Is there a thread or decent guide to follow to tell me what to buy and mods to install?

You want X3: Albion Prelude. Ignore all the other games. There's a great OP with info about modding here. In my experience modding in X3 was and is a huge pain in the rear end, so I'd recommend starting off vanilla and then layering in QOL mods as needed as you go. The only ones I used consistently were Bounce (so my fleet would stop kamikazeing into enemies) and Wing Hotkeys.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm looking for a single player racing game featuring career mode/progression. My two go-to examples are TDU2 and the original GRID. I don't care if it's arcade or sim controls, though I prefer somewhere in the middle, since I only have a controller. Preferably released in the last 5 years. I have a good PC and a PS4.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Viperix posted:

I'm looking for a single player racing game featuring career mode/progression. My two go-to examples are TDU2 and the original GRID. I don't care if it's arcade or sim controls, though I prefer somewhere in the middle, since I only have a controller. Preferably released in the last 5 years. I have a good PC and a PS4.

Gran Turismo or Forza?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Alas, only for consoles I don't have, unless GT Sport ever actually gets released. :(

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Forza Horizons 3 is available on PC through the Windows Store

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Oh, I'll have to give it a look, then. Since 1 and 2 were Xbox only, I did not even think to check if FH3 had a PC version.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
What are the good Christmas-themed games? I can only think of Robocod but I'm sure there must be more recent ones.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Flopstick posted:

What are the good Christmas-themed games? I can only think of Robocod but I'm sure there must be more recent ones.

How The Saints Saved Christmas is a really fantastic Christmas DLC for Saints Row 4. Fun gameplay and has a surprisingly charming holiday message given the series.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There was a christmas version of jetpack that was pretty cool.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

What's the best "podcast game" out there? Something fairly chill that I can play while listening to a podcast with minimal attention to the game for when I'm not in the mood for Euro Truck.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What's the best "podcast game" out there? Something fairly chill that I can play while listening to a podcast with minimal attention to the game for when I'm not in the mood for Euro Truck.
For all Crusader Kings' complexity it has a lot of downtime which makes it p good for this

Maybe Elite Dangerous for same reasons

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Any of the arpgs seem good for it. Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Diablo 3. I played through normal difficulty on grim dawn while listening to podcasts and am now doing eastern sun.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seconding Crusader Kings 2, that's my go to for podcasts. Stardew Valley is also pretty relaxed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Flopstick posted:

Parasite Eve.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
My podcast / audiobook go-to game for a long time was Mario Kart, but not on unfamiliar or tracks or if you care about your ranking. I can also concentrate more-or-less well on something people are saying while playing Militia on Steam.

This does sorta ruin these games, FYI - you'll find playing the game without audio boring if your brain is expecting to hear something enjoyable while you play.

edit: Also, Bit Dungeon. Bit Dungeon II is currently a buck on Steam.

Mortley fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 14, 2016

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Factorio is pretty good for this, too. If you play on peaceful, you can pay as little attention as you want and still make progress.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I love, I mean, love Culdcept Saga, but I no longer have an XBone or PS2.

What is the closest sort of board game/card game/adventure/grinding simulator out there? I'm on a pretty hefty PC rig.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I have the weirdest (two) recommendations to ask for PC since I'm not even sure on the genre apart from "something action".

Firstly I need a game that controls extremely well, is fairly easy to pick up but has some interesting mechanics to get good with and is playable on my ultrabook (i7, but Nvidia 830M.) I have a decent desktop but I'm visiting family during the holidays. For reference, GALAK-Z doesn't work that well with it but it hits the idea pretty well. Lethal League, Redout, Speedrunners might hit the spot as well, but not keen on playing Lethal League/Speedrunners with random people and Redout just won't run. Besides I'd like an actual single player campaign if possible. Muramasa the Demon Blade kind of fits this bill too.

Second one is even more vague but in case someone has any ideas, I need something to replace my itch with for MMORPG's. I do still actively play FFXIV, but my raiding group is on a break possibly till' February and I really want to get good with some game/scratch the itch for optimization. Doesn't need to control *that* well but I'm not looking something turn-based either. Bonus points if listening to music during it doesn't lessen the experience/it has its own good music (...I've thought of getting into rhythm games or something).

On my list of things are: Getting back to Overwatch (lacking a group of friends, and I'm euro). Get into Rocket League (which might actually run well on my ultrabook). Finish Rise of the Tomb Raider and finally start properly on Witcher 2. Neither of those two latter games hit that "optimization/visceral feel/good controls" though.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 18, 2016

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dessel posted:

Second one is even more vague but in case someone has any ideas, I need something to replace my itch with for MMORPG's. I do still actively play FFXIV, but my raiding group is on a break possibly till' February and I really want to get good with some game/scratch the itch for optimization. Doesn't need to control *that* well but I'm not looking something turn-based either.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a single player action RPG that started off as an mmorpg, and has the typical quest and loot structure for that genre. It isn't that bad either, plenty of content.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I love, I mean, love Culdcept Saga, but I no longer have an XBone or PS2.

What is the closest sort of board game/card game/adventure/grinding simulator out there? I'm on a pretty hefty PC rig.

Give Hand of Fate a look, it might do the trick.

e: I forgot about Armello which is another good prospect. It's lovely, very polished and VERY board gamey.

Jinkeez fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 18, 2016

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Are there any chill steam/PC games with multiplayer elements (at least - full on MMO would be better) that have simple controls, and lots of customization that isn't something like Second Life? I want a game where I can build, manage, and decorate my house/town/business and I can walk around and do simple stuff (catch fish, pull weeds, whatever) while also being able to trade stuff with other people (MMO) and visit their spaces and chill for a while. Even better if you can go out on adventures together. Does anything like this even exist?

Those browser/facebook games (Forge Of Empires) start to scratch that itch but they're essentially just grind fests and not very social. Fallen London is just ... weird.

I think I'm looking for A PC flavor of Animal Crossing. :(

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AnimalChin posted:

Are there any chill steam/PC games with multiplayer elements (at least - full on MMO would be better) that have simple controls, and lots of customization that isn't something like Second Life? I want a game where I can build, manage, and decorate my house/town/business and I can walk around and do simple stuff (catch fish, pull weeds, whatever) while also being able to trade stuff with other people (MMO) and visit their spaces and chill for a while. Even better if you can go out on adventures together. Does anything like this even exist?

Those browser/facebook games (Forge Of Empires) start to scratch that itch but they're essentially just grind fests and not very social. Fallen London is just ... weird.

Minecraft?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AnimalChin posted:

Like, my dude, we are both nerds posting on a dead gay comedy forum, but you have described "going outside" to a T. There are community gardens and volunteer opportunities in your community. Go do those

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Like, my dude, we are both nerds posting on a dead gay comedy forum, but you have described "going outside" to a T. There are community gardens and volunteer opportunities in your community. Go do those

Yeah for real. He basically said "I want to have friends and clean my house"

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

edit: wrong thread, apparently.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AnimalChin posted:

Stardew Valley is getting multiplayer soon.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

AnimalChin posted:

More accurately though I'd recommend 7 Days To Die, there are a ton of PvE servers where the 'zombie apocalypse' part of the game is downplayed to nonexistence and you can farm, mine, build a cool castle, etc

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Let's talk about space 4x. It used to be a dead genre. Now it's blossoming. It seems like a new would be successor to MOO2 crops up almost daily. There's been a lot of crap, but the past few years have seen some really brilliant releases: Stellaris, Galactic Civilizations, Sword of the Stars. Endless Space was very much a rough draft, but Endless Legend is, in my mind, the reigning king of the entire genre(sorry Civ 6), so I'm eagerly awaiting Endless Space 2. As a strategy game, MOO2 is a primitive and outdated design. But I still find myself coming back to it. It comes down to the space combat and ship design. Now, MOO2 didn't have the most tactical space combat, but it was a hell of a fun toybox. In most space 4x games, ship design means linear upgrades of weapons, defenses, engines-if you want to get REALLY creative, maybe sensors. This is boring as hell and frankly the genre would be better off with Civ style static units rather than tedious and superfluous custom ships.

In Master of Orion 2, you could customize your ships with actually diverse systems. Your spaceships could have scout labs for research and space monster fighting bonuses, or lightning fields that had a 50% chance of zapping incoming missiles and space fighters. Missiles always hit, but took a few turns to hit their target and could be shot down; beam weapons had a miss chance but struck instantly. Weapons like black hole generators immobilized ships before making them implode; ion cannons fried ship systems to disable their weapons or targeting systems; death rays killed off crew in advance of assault shuttles that could capture enemy ships. Part of what allowed this diversity of gameplay is that fleets were relatively small(rarely would you manage more than a handful of ships) and combat was turn based. The modern trend seems to be massive fleets buzzing around each other in cinematic combat (BORING!!!!!!!).

Is there any modern 4x that captures the MOO2 sense of ship design and combat? The only other game that I can think of that comes close, and its not modern at all, is Space Empires 4.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm looking for games on Steam that have low graphical requirements because I have a not great laptop. For reference, I can run Darkest Dungeon but that's probably about it.

Particular types of games would be turn-based RPGs but nothing super anime.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Berzerker posted:

I'm looking for games on Steam that have low graphical requirements because I have a not great laptop. For reference, I can run Darkest Dungeon but that's probably about it.

Invisible Inc.?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

Dungeonmans. Goon made comedy roguelike with interesting mechanics.

TOME4. High quality less hardcore roguelike. Really good.

It's A Wipe! Mmorpg raiding without the mmorpg. Looks like poo poo but is a fun little diversion.

FTL. Real time with pause spaceship crew death simulator with just, the best music.

Cardhunter. Cheeky boardgame card game RPG hybrid. Grid based tactical format.

LISA. Turn based RPG that's like weird I dunno. Play it. Goon made I think.

Renowned Explorers: International Society. Turn based tactical game with session based structure and really interesting "combat".

Sunless Sea. Pseudo Victorian ship captain game with weird comedy and Lovecraftian influences. Set in Fallen London if that means anything to you.

Stardew Valley. It's Harvest Moon.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Invisible Inc. looks cool, so does Stardew Valley. I basically want to play a game like Final Fantasy 1 for NES.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Berzerker posted:

Invisible Inc. looks cool, so does Stardew Valley. I basically want to play a game like Final Fantasy 1 for NES.

Dungeonmans!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Just replayed Brütal Legend and I'm looking for a good followup. Can take or leave the RTS bit, but I need more of that silly/badass open world with a good (metal or otherwise) soundtrack. Already played the poo poo out of the Saint's Row games, but SR4 is supremely my poo poo.
e: also gotta be able to play with a controller.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 21, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

prometheusbound2 posted:

Is there any modern 4x that captures the MOO2 sense of ship design and combat? The only other game that I can think of that comes close, and its not modern at all, is Space Empires 4.

Yeah, MOO 4. It's out. It's finished. It's as good as MOO 2.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Just replayed Brütal Legend and I'm looking for a good followup. Can take or leave the RTS bit, but I need more of that silly/badass open world with a good (metal or otherwise) soundtrack. Already played the poo poo out of the Saint's Row games, but SR4 is supremely my poo poo.

Keep an eye on Marlow Briggs, it's goofy fun and likely to be$1 tomorrow

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

I love those games, that's a pretty unique one. And Saints Row is the best nutty GTA. I recommend GTA Vice City and GTA5 if you haven't played those yet. Lot of good comedy writing and they're really fun, even if slightly more reality based. The Saints Row team's Agents of Mayhem will be up your alley when it hits. Also something like No More Heroes might be up your alley.

So I'm looking for good fun platformers, with lots of actual platforming, jumping on stuff and areas that feel fun to traverse. Not super easy, but not a hardcore dying simulator like Super Meat Boy etc.

Can be 2D or 3D, I love all the Mario, Sonic, early Crash games etc. And while I love Mega Man, Castlevania, Shovel Knight etc, those are more about combat and exploration I think, compared to full on platformers.

Was playing Shantae Riskys Revenge, pretty fun, though seems more about exploration, pretty simple platforming. Will try the other ones too though. (edit: got a bit further in, there is some cool platforming in this actually)

In a nutshell, any platforming gems with interesting/fun well done platforming?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 21, 2016

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, MOO 4. It's out. It's finished. It's as good as MOO 2.

I feel like I would have heard of MOO4 being out if this were true, and that you'd be talking it up more

It's like getting news a la "The LHC imploded and now half of Europe is gone. Huh, how about that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
There is a new MOO. Its decent. But MOO's economic and political models were boring. Games like Star Ruler 2, GalCiv, Stellaris, and Endless Space 2 have outmatched that. Where MOO2 hasn't been outmatched is in its tactical combat, because linear upgrades, realtime and "cinematic" combat are all terrible features. I'm hoping one of the countless indies will have picked up on that.