Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

all of their outfits have had a butterfly-like motif. Especially the ones in this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Whats the significance of the gradient legs?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It looks cool

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I really like how Cocona's and Papikas emphasize that they're a pair while Yayaka's uses the same elements to show she's running solo (or perhaps paired to both)

Also calling it now the finale will involve using a red gate to bring back Mimi's sanity

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I actually have a feeling that the Mimi that is overprotecting Cocona and the Mimi that pushed her to reach for Papika are different. Like that the one Mimi is just a pure illusion of Mimi, of mom.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:yeah:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hang in there, Flip Flappers animators https://twitter.com/binobinobi/status/812816500201385984

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It looks exactly like Shirobako in there...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Fun fact: Flip Flappers' opening is by the artist who wrote both Non Non Biyori endings.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Yayaka's smile.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

:allears:

Huh, actually. If Pure Illusion is crazy parallel brainspace, that's not too strange a crossover.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This episode was very good but I still don't like the writing. When did Yayaka become the foul mouthed friend all of the sudden. Also I think the stuff Mimi says is too on the nose

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

When did Yayaka become the foul mouthed friend all of the sudden.

I'd attribute that to the one describing her as such being Cocona's smothering and overprotective mother.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'd attribute that to the one describing her as such being Cocona's smothering and overprotective mother.

I wouldn't have really seen her say "Screw you" in the first half of the show

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The girl whose psyche was represented by a spooky early 20th century all girls school is now a hot blooded scrapper, because the power of choice or something.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I wouldn't have really seen her say "Screw you" in the first half of the show

...eh. Maybe the translation softened it, but 'screw you' seems pretty tame to me. Doesn't really strike me as going too far for the character who's introduced sleeping through a mock test and cutting class in the nurse's office. Yayaka's been the 'bad' girl (granted those are some massive airquotes around 'bad,' but you get the idea) friend from the word go.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have other reservatios but I'll wait to see what the finale brings. Excellent animation and visuals this episode, even if at times you could see the production straining sometimes. It took until the penultimate episode for it to be noticeable at all and only in one or two shots so that's a win in my book

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

premature good luck to this show's final episode

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yayaka is totally foulmouthed all the time, its just that being foulmouthed in japanese is simply speaking tersely in a sharp tone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

Yayaka is totally foulmouthed all the time, its just that being foulmouthed in japanese is simply speaking tersely in a sharp tone.

yeah, shes been doing that since the start

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I think she also like never uses the polite conjugation as well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Alright,, fair

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Episode 13 preview, I'm not even sure there's any new footage in it and my Japanese is non-existent but I'm hyped anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGclmyl9Rq8

Cocona sounds upset. :smith::ohdear:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

It's starting to feel a little rushed to me. Like, the bit with Mimi changing Papika's memory was cool, and it immediately gets reverted because the other girls yelled her name. Then Papika and Cocona each have their internal monologue, which reads like someone suddenly realized they needed to be together again before the episode ended.

Curious to see how Mimi's "split personality" is addressed. The abrupt appearance of Nice Mimi after we've only seen her other side in the present feels, again, like something that just had to happen to move the story forward.

I am glad they didn't have the grand wizard's hood fall off to make sure everyone understood he's Salt's dad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i've said it a few times already but i feel like they could have benefited from getting a few extra episodes to pace things better in the second half. (i say extra episodes because there is no episode in the first half i could ever want to be cut)

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Weird BIAS posted:

I actually have a feeling that the Mimi that is overprotecting Cocona and the Mimi that pushed her to reach for Papika are different. Like that the one Mimi is just a pure illusion of Mimi, of mom.

I think the controlling Mimi isn't just a Pure Illusion projection from Cocona. The way that the controlling Mimi behaves doesn't seem like something that would come from Cocona, but it does seem like it would come from the actual Mimi. Mimi spent her life in a stifling cage where she wasn't allowed to make any decisions for herself, and at a moment of crisis I think she mistakenly decided that control was the only thing that could keep Cocona safe and allowed that part of her to have a lot of power. So I think Cocona is learning about the difficult life her mother had and is seeing the sort of internal conflict it created in her.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you need the Elpis box to enter an individual's psyche, how were they able to go into Iroha?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hell, what happened to Iroha? Did she just become a normal girl and nobody thought about her again? That's bleak.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My impression was that Elpis doesn't let you go into individuals, it just ensures that you enter a part of Pure Illusion close to the gate belonging to the person in the box. There's theoretically no reason you couldn't just find people's gates without Elpis just through luck of the draw. And, yeah, Iro is presumably exactly how we left her. Which, honestly, is probably for the best. Now that P&C know what happens when they interact with things beyond the gate, they should probably consider that they don't entirely have the right to just rewrite people's psyche on a whim.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

GorfZaplen posted:

Hell, what happened to Iroha? Did she just become a normal girl and nobody thought about her again? That's bleak.

She'll show up in episode 13 at Cocona and Papika's wedding and gift them a cute landscape painting for their new apartment to show that she's channeling her artistic skills in a more positive way now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

My impression was that Elpis doesn't let you go into individuals, it just ensures that you enter a part of Pure Illusion close to the gate belonging to the person in the box. There's theoretically no reason you couldn't just find people's gates without Elpis just through luck of the draw. And, yeah, Iro is presumably exactly how we left her. Which, honestly, is probably for the best. Now that P&C know what happens when they interact with things beyond the gate, they should probably consider that they don't entirely have the right to just rewrite people's psyche on a whim.

I'm sure it's that, and not that the writing is poop.

Cephas posted:

She'll show up in episode 13 at Cocona and Papika's wedding and gift them a cute landscape painting for their new apartment to show that she's channeling her artistic skills in a more positive way now.

I hope so

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cephas posted:

I think the controlling Mimi isn't just a Pure Illusion projection from Cocona. The way that the controlling Mimi behaves doesn't seem like something that would come from Cocona, but it does seem like it would come from the actual Mimi. Mimi spent her life in a stifling cage where she wasn't allowed to make any decisions for herself, and at a moment of crisis I think she mistakenly decided that control was the only thing that could keep Cocona safe and allowed that part of her to have a lot of power. So I think Cocona is learning about the difficult life her mother had and is seeing the sort of internal conflict it created in her.

Yeah that's what I figure too. She snapped in a similar way to Salt's dad.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I lament that I may only get to use this once:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Finally got up to date with this and it's legit amazing.

I think on the topic of Iro, things worked out well for her. She might be "ordinary" but she's actually happy and not constantly blaming herself for her aunt's miserable death now. But then I come down very hard on the side of "If nobody being depressed means no Picasso art, gently caress Picasso art", and I'm aware people feel strongly the other way.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And we're done. Strong finale, although I didn't think it had the emotional highs of the previous ep. Do wish we'd spent some more time doing a proper epilogue, but I'm still happy with how this turned out. Absolutely my AOTY by a commanding margin. Looking forward to whatever Oshiyama does next.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ranzear posted:

I lament that I may only get to use this once:

It's still appreciated.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
What a ride!
A much better ending than I was expecting, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You and me Cocona. Flip flapping forever. 100 years Cocona and Papika dot com

What a good ending.

• Locked thread