Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Inward Empire's long time between releases is significantly more painful than Hardcore History's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarlequinRatDance
Dec 26, 2016

by Cowcaster
hi i'm dare

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not to distract from that, but a dude fed a predictive text interface a bunch of Hardcore History transcripts and did a dramatic reading of what it spat out.

http://objectdreams.tumblr.com/post/153158660124/hardcore-history-segment-written-using-a

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not to distract from that, but a dude fed a predictive text interface a bunch of Hardcore History transcripts and did a dramatic reading of what it spat out.

http://objectdreams.tumblr.com/post/153158660124/hardcore-history-segment-written-using-a

"There’s another famous incident where Lenin said, quote, “Everything is happening and it’s so horrible and greasy and I often think about how many things are happening right now in history.” End quote."

this is really, really good

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Can't stop laughing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wish I had more friends who listen to HH to share that with, because that is wonderful.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
"succumbed to a sausage situation" is what I want engraved on my tombstone.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

i am deeply intrigued by this "common goal of getting ready for George"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"his goodbye door"

Have a new term for buttholes.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

lol that bot

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is the greatest thing.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

loving lost it when he started quoting.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm really glad I finally clicked on that instead of just reading excerpts. It would be great if Dan records himself reading it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm really glad I finally clicked on that instead of just reading excerpts. It would be great if Dan records himself reading it.

I would legit pay for that episode

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Alehkhs posted:

Does anyone have any good comparative-religion podcasts that explore and contrast not only the beliefs, practices, and texts of various religions, but also their secular histories and evolutions?

I'll ditto this request

In Our Time seems to take a fairly secular approach to their religious episodes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can anyone recommend a good global development podcast? Like one that is focused on successful (or failed, even) development programs, supported by studies and real world examples? I guess I'm looking for something a bit meatier than news and more practical than like, TED Talks.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Can anyone recommend a good global development podcast? Like one that is focused on successful (or failed, even) development programs, supported by studies and real world examples? I guess I'm looking for something a bit meatier than news and more practical than like, TED Talks.

I don't think this would fill the bill for you, but given the above you might like LSE's podcasts:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/website-archive/newsAndMedia/videoAndAudio/channels/publicLecturesAndEvents/Home.aspx

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/824091733642256386

Looks like we will be getting a new Hardcore History

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Manhattan project?!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Digital Jedi posted:

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/824091733642256386

Looks like we will be getting a new Hardcore History

I'm surprised Dan is already doing an episode about Trump.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It's out.

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/824164231222349825

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
5 hours 50 minutes :psyduck:

"What happens if human beings can't handle the power of their own weaponry? This show examines the dangerous early years of the Nuclear Age and humankind's efforts to avoid self-destruction at the hands of its own creation."

It's a Blitz show as well so definitely just a one-off.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I don't know, that cover image and the title, I think I'm over Carlin.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

mike12345 posted:

You know that's an Oppenheimer quote, right?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Grey Area posted:

You know that's an Oppenheimer quote, right?

Hey listen man, I'm just above Dan Carlin now, the nazi pedo bastard.

Seriously guys. We get it, you're too cool for hardcore history 'now'.

Engage!
Apr 21, 2011
Just dropping in to let everyone know that I am also too cool for the thing you all enjoy

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm too cool for cool ranch dorirtos.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I wish someone would make him an espresso whenever he starts recording.

Also, in in the ground floor for too cool to be too cool for hardcore history.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mike12345 posted:

I wish I was under Dan Carlin, if you know what I mean.

Engage!
Apr 21, 2011
Dan Carlin? Yeah his early stuff is ok but he really sold out when he got signed on to a major

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

It looks like a Power Metal album cover from the 80s. Maybe if it had a sticker in the corner with Beavis doing the two finger salute, I'd be more likely to listen.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Why is that a negative thing?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Trabandiumium posted:

Why is that a negative thing?

I guess it's great if you're looking for a podcast about nuclear war, with a hint of power metal 'tude. To me it looks juvenile.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Literally every one of the art pieces they use for Hardcore History covers are awful, but who cares, it's a loving podcast

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah the episode "covers" have always looked like outsourced fanart.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not Carlin's fault that nuclear war is metal af

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's not Carlin's fault that nuclear war is metal af

not an emptyquote

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

ok maybe I'm being too snobish, it probably attracts listeners that would otherwise shun a history podcast. But now I really want to listen to "Dave Mustaine reads Hitler's diaries".

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've been waiting for him to cover nuclear weapons after that awesome Logical Insanity blitz episode. I love books like Command & Control so really looking forward to downloading this after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Carlin keeps calling Eisenhower one of history's great gamers in this and I know what he means by it but I can't not laugh every time.