Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The Night Before Doom was loving magical. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That Jingle Bells midi becomes funny if you imagine the hanging note as a car horn honking in the background.

CanSteam
Dec 24, 2016
I imagine most people will become more interested in the wads when they start becoming really good, when map designers no how to actually make (fair) maps, and when you can create custom objects.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

CanSteam posted:

when map designers no how to actually make (fair) maps
So I haven't really played Doom since back in the day when it came out, but was this ever even a thing?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CanSteam posted:

I imagine most people will become more interested in the wads when they start becoming really good, when map designers no how to actually make (fair) maps, and when you can create custom objects.

Map designers were starting to get really good by early '95. Custom objects not needed.

CanSteam
Dec 24, 2016

Crazy Achmed posted:

So I haven't really played Doom since back in the day when it came out, but was this ever even a thing?

I remember hearing about some wads that were unfair released in 1994-1996, but maybe I am wrong

edit: Maybe I should rephrase my original statement. I meant that the wad videos would get watched more when more custom and interesting stuff started happening within them, e.g. custom monsters, weapons, or stuff in the newer engines like 3D Floors.

CanSteam fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 25, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

:magical: Merry Christmas/appropriate seasonal holiday to you too!

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

H2H Xmas Part 9/9 (Part 77 Overall)

Not sure what Red meant by they'll get far worse because that's demonstrably false.

nielsm posted:

Also, on the subject of that Jingle Bells MIDI with the hanging note, it's possible that whoever created the MIDI had a synth/sound set where that particular instrument doesn't have sustain, and it sounded just fine for him.
Have you tried playing it with an FM synth instead of GM?
I get the feeling that you're right on this. I'll look into it and report back when I find out. Thanks!

You are the gift that keeps on giving.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A properly written FM synth controlled by MIDI is still going to respect sustain instructions if they're there. It'd just sound different!

Doom's native MUS format is usually just used as a slightly more compact representation of MIDI format. The major differences, in WADs meant to run in the original DOOM exes, is that it can only have 8 general purpose and 1 drum channel (despite general MIDI standard being at least 16 channels), and the MUS file within wads being no more than 64 kilobytes per song. Another aspect is that the MUS format allows for a slightly larger range of volumes for each note.

These limitations have a lot to do with why some early WADs with custom music sound really off - people were translating the formats by hand or with early tools and couldn't properly handle dropping off some of the instrument channels or adjusting the volume values. So songs would end up with entire instrument sections missing!

Another aspect, which especially crops up when BOOM and other source ports start hitting, is that from version 1.5 of DOOM you're allowed to use MIDI files directly inside the WADs, but this is done by an on the fly conversion to the MUS format, which once again can cause instruments to be dropped and volume to be messed up if the original MIDI doesn't match up well. But people would just test their wads against source ports that had full MIDI support and not notice!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Since you guys went into to your rationale a bit in Video 9 I thought I'd clarify what I'd posted. I don't think the WAD videos suck or anything, rather I was worried about you getting burnt out doing a bunch of community-level content, so was just posting that comment to say I didn't care if you didn't actually do them all (because I want to see Doom 3 and DO4M ;)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Just to chime in on the whole WAD video thing, I think the videos are just neato. Sure, the WADs are... less than impressive, but your commentary is more than good enough to keep me watching. That, and your kinda historical rationale makes sense, so keep on truckin'.

Also, merry Doom-mas!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
for the midi lovers here is something different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaTuFB5QXHo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I liked this wad better than the first ones that were shown off with all the switch puzzles. It's a gradual improvement.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Play whatever you feel like playing. It's your LP.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Doing the pwads is nice because a lot of the other videos of them on YouTube are some dude playing them like 8 years ago with crappy video quality and no commentary. These videos haven't had either issue so far.

CanSteam
Dec 24, 2016
I wonder what the worst thing Temin and Co. are going to play. I cant really think of anything terrible by the top of my head.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CanSteam posted:

I wonder what the worst thing Temin and Co. are going to play. I cant really think of anything terrible by the top of my head.

Well, there's always

The Sky May Be posted:

After your defeat at the end of a long battle, the great God Imp has shown his infinite mercy upon you.
You have been Cast Out into the hellish depths of his toy chest, a windows 3.1 program written by the Devil himself.
Trapped in lego buildings from the God-Imp's darkest nightmares, you must find a way to shut down Windows and escape.
:getin:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Merry Christmas Doom thread.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CanSteam posted:

Well, you could take a trip through the life and .wads of Eric Harris...

e: On a more positive note, a fellow goon gave me Do4M in the Christmas gift train and it is loving awesome.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 26, 2016

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
cake1m1 is very cool

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Are you going to play the DOOM board game?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Or the Doom Nokia phone RPG.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

That... actually looks like a fun game. What?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Crazy Achmed posted:

That... actually looks like a fun game. What?

It wasn't bad. Neither was the Wolfenstein one that played very similarly. They were also pretty funny. I think the Wolfenstein one ended with the Nazis summoning a demon that was literally a cyberdemon without the cyber. In killing if you blow off it's arm and leg and it swears revenge on your family line and hops into a time portal. The Doom rpg ends with you fighting a cyberdemon that hops out of a portal. :allears:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Nokia Doom RPG was actually good. I also remember Doom 2 RPG, Wolfenstein RPG, and Orcs & Elves being fairly decent.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

Are you going to play the DOOM board game?
I'm gonna have to tell my board game group to seek this out.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm gonna have to tell my board game group to seek this out.

Fantasy Flight Games...the same guys that made Descent and Arkham Horror.

It plays a lot like Descent does actually.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey thread, just a reminder that people who haven't guessed on the death count for this round of wads has until the New Year to get their guesses in. I took a bit of a break from editing this week, so expect videos to start up again next week.

PSWII60 posted:

Merry Christmas Doom thread.

Yes! it's everything I could have ever hoped for. Thank you!

Also RE: questions on stuff we're going to cover, so far the answer to most of those questions has been yes :)

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 29, 2016

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
There are two Doom board games, I own both.

The new one, which came out last November/December, is in fact extremely good because it's not some spooky dungeon crawl with ominous passages for the GM to read out (like the original tried to be), it's a game about getting a team of guys with various guns to blow up lots of demons before they die too many times and run out of respawns.

Plus it has some seriously excellent miniatures in it, which paint up very nicely. You get Imps, Chaingunners, Pinkies, Barons of Hell, Mancubuses, Cacodemons like this little guy, Revenents and a Cyberdemon.

Edit: I should add I'm loving the LP, it's extremely watchable and Doom has always been one of my favourite game series.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

That figurine's adorable. :3:

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Bob Smith posted:

There are two Doom board games, I own both.

The new one, which came out last November/December, is in fact extremely good because it's not some spooky dungeon crawl with ominous passages for the GM to read out (like the original tried to be), it's a game about getting a team of guys with various guns to blow up lots of demons before they die too many times and run out of respawns.

Plus it has some seriously excellent miniatures in it, which paint up very nicely. You get Imps, Chaingunners, Pinkies, Barons of Hell, Mancubuses, Cacodemons like this little guy, Revenents and a Cyberdemon.

Edit: I should add I'm loving the LP, it's extremely watchable and Doom has always been one of my favourite game series.

is it possible to LP this? haha!

Can you post some more pics of the figurines?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

auzdark posted:

is it possible to LP this? haha!

Can you post some more pics of the figurines?

There was an LP of the previous edition of the game where various thread posters took control of the various marines and suggested the moves, then the OP, playing the dungeon master, resolved it all.

The new edition has a random turn order and card-based actions which would be a bit more awkward to do play-by-post but it could be done.

Here are pictures of the other types of model you get. There are some variant poses for the Marines, one has a shotgun, one has a plasma gun and one has a minigun, but the armour is the same.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

The armor is actually different for every marine!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Something that's not obvious about this picture is that it demonstrates how much thought FFG has put into the miniatures. Ten years ago, they would have propped up a cacodemon on a clear plastic stand and called it a day, which only works so long before the thin plastic snaps. (I've had this happen to my Starcraft minis after proxying them a lot for 40K RPGs.) But now it's just one solid, sturdy piece of grey plastic that's basically indestructible to accidental wear and tear.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

We're back in action!

Enigma By Jim Flynn Part 1/5 (Part 78 Overall)

Disclaimer: These videos were recorded a couple months ago, and we accidentally talked about stale levels and video editing a little bit again. My bad.

Scaramouche posted:

Since you guys went into to your rationale a bit in Video 9 I thought I'd clarify what I'd posted. I don't think the WAD videos suck or anything, rather I was worried about you getting burnt out doing a bunch of community-level content, so was just posting that comment to say I didn't care if you didn't actually do them all (because I want to see Doom 3 and DO4M ;)

Thanks for the clarification! It does kind of suck that we won't get to the modern games for quite a while, but I'm thoroughly enjoying playing through all these old maps. I've recorded a ton of footage so far, and thankfully haven't gotten burned out. If it ever gets to that point, I'm sure we'll have some sort of month or two break. :)

Also, RE: Jingle Bells, I played it with Adlib in DOSBox, and the stray note did not hang. I don't know if general midi playback in DOSBox has that same problem, I've yet to check that out. I ripped the MIDIS through ZDoom, so that could possibly be why the bad note happened.

Also, also, really enjoying the board game talk. I didn't realize they made another one recently. Can't wait till we get to those!

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

apostateCourier posted:

The armor is actually different for every marine!

You made me take another look and you're right, that's something I clearly hadn't paid attention to since painting them!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol I forgot about that edit.

This video really makes me want to see someone destroy a pinata with a shotgun.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Wooh, all caught up! You know, I wondered if I could catch up before you got to games that I had actually played through in their entirety (Quake, Final DOOM, etc.) and I too underestimated just how MANY damned mods there are. :sweatdrop: There's never quite been games like these for modding has there?

After this video, I'm kinda feeling what Red's saying here: having a clever non-linear map to puzzle out is one thing, but to be so obtuse that you spend hours on one level and have to look up the exit in a guide anyway is quite another, and sudden arch-viles are... not fun. Also am I going crazy, or did that one revenant have a ricocheting rocket? Is that a new feature, or could they always do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUbk98uZjso

watch it nerds!