Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

~Coxy posted:

It might be a good thing that all the engineers are too busy making IOS worser so Apple doesn't have much capability to make macOS worser.

They haven't even unleashed Apple File System yet; we've got at least one huge update on the way that will surely break something basic and unrelated like wifi or bluetooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Dangerllama posted:

I recently re-built a gaming rig for shits and giggles and, along with Windows 10, threw Arch on a partition just to see how far Linux has come in the 10 years since I actively used it on the desktop. Long story short: it still suuuuuuuuuucks as a desktop OS. I know there aren't all that many of us that use OS X because it's unix w/ a pretty UI, but jesus christ I am not optimistic about what the future holds for us.

I did the same - someone at work gave me a 1080 so I built a system around it.

I'm thinking about putting mint on a partition and seeing how that goes - https://www.linuxmint.com/ - I have a couple of friends who are OS X expats who recommend it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

~Coxy posted:

It might be a good thing that all the engineers are too busy making IOS worser so Apple doesn't have much capability to make macOS worser.

Even with the price up I am, unfortunately, feeling better every day about offloading my AAPL.

- MBPs with no ports but TB3
- MBs with wacky battery life and no "time remaining". Really Apple?
- Botching their AirPods launch
- macOS and desktops rotting on the vine
- Companies with good software fleeing the App Store

This bodes really, really poorly. I really hope I'm wrong but I really really don't like the direction it looks like things are moving.

And I absolutely don't want to go to Windows 10 either. We're entering a dark age of PCs here. Maybe the PC is going away...

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 24, 2016

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

I recently re-built a gaming rig for shits and giggles and, along with Windows 10, threw Arch on a partition just to see how far Linux has come in the 10 years since I actively used it on the desktop. Long story short: it still suuuuuuuuuucks as a desktop OS. I know there aren't all that many of us that use OS X because it's unix w/ a pretty UI, but jesus christ I am not optimistic about what the future holds for us.

Linux on the desktop will never not suck, but Arch is probably the worst distribution you could use to try it out.

I really hate how things are going re: macs, I use a Mac because it's great for linux sysadmin/development stuff too. my next laptop will probably be a Thinkpad or a Dell XPS but I shudder at the thought of using linux in the desktop environment.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

theperminator posted:

I shudder at the thought of using linux in the desktop environment.

For personal use, I would miss OS X's UI and superior power management, Windows' games compatibility, and Office and Adobe CC.
For dev use, I used Linux Mint on the desktop for 2 years and it was fast, reliable and my uptime was basically the amount of time since the office last had a power outage.

It's not as nice as OS X, but Linux on the desktop isn't that bad these days provided you aren't trying to use some kind of eccentric hardware. Still, I'd be like you and get a top of the line laptop running Windows 10. SSH into a *nix box when I need it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don't give a poo poo what title they give the manager of the sub department of the sub department that the developers who design my software work in, or what they worked on before. I'll probably buy macs until they suck more than Windows computers and it's actually something I notice in use.

I don't understand the weeping and moaning about the "direction" of the company at all, just chill and use your computer until it sucks. If it never sucks more than the competition, then stick with it.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
They last a few hours on battery, have no USB ports (and don't even throw in a dongle), removed the battery gauge instead of fixing it (probably because they are all concentrating on iOS and didn't want to spend the time on OS X), they have already begun to suck.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

carry on then posted:

My guess is they aren't going to maintain a dedicated MacOS team because they already effectively don't. Where I work we develop two similar but separate products with separate code bases and are expected to be able to jump between them and know our component in both products--management probably already moves people between MacOS and iOS as needed and this just institutionalizes that.

Yeah, iOS is forked OS X in the first place (*) so if anything I'm surprised it took them this long to do some formal team reunification.

* got fishmeched about this in a green thread, so I looked up Jobs' iPhone keynote. At that time they hadn't invented the iOS brand so he just straight up said 'iPhone runs OS X'.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

So, I know this thread discusses backup services sometimes, and I just want to heavily recommend against Backblaze. I am restoring files from an external hdd that suddenly failed this weekend, and the online restore process is a huge pain in the dick.

First off, it's not done using the app at all, something I guess I just assumed it did without checking, because that makes sense, and is not an impossible task. So you have to go to their website which has a lovely file browser for you to restore files with. You can either select specific files/folders to backup with a checkbox, or click "restore all my files." The second choice seems like the natural one, except that they give you the backup in the form of a single zip file, which they recommend you split up into 20 GB chunks for speed and reliability purposes. So, if you decide to split it into chunks, you get to manually select those files/folders their janky web app. To select multiple items, you have to manually check a box to them one at a time. If there are keyboard shortcuts, they aren't any of the obvious ones.

Then, once your backup is prepared. You can either download it through the website or a separate application they created to download files. This application sucks. You login with your username and password, select a single backup to restore, wait for it to download(my speed topped out about 4 MB/s), and then you have to quit the app and start again to download another one. Of course, after my first file attempting to login through the app again gave me a "Error: Special Unexpected Event Occurred" which there is zero documentation for, and did not resolve on its own. Downloading through the browser seems to actually work better, and was definitely faster, and I'm not convinced that such a poorly programmed application is actually any more reliable than HTTP.

It's pretty obvious that they just tacked this poo poo on so they could check the "restore from the cloud" checkbox while pushing people to pay for them to ship you an HDD or flash drive backup. Having used CrashPlan at work, I'll be switching to that. It's far more intuitive at the same price. It's a little janky sometimes but it's never actually failed to work for us.

Mostly just want to rant because this is so annoying, but hopefully someone gets something out of it.

I know I hosed up by not having a local backup, but it's not like this would be less terrible if I was restoring a backup because my house burned down

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Grassy Knowles posted:

They haven't even unleashed Apple File System yet; we've got at least one huge update on the way that will surely break something basic and unrelated like wifi or bluetooth.

They already broke WiFi multiple times, and that's ignoring the mDNSresponder fuckup.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

tuyop posted:

I don't understand the weeping and moaning about the "direction" of the company at all, just chill and use your computer until it sucks. If it never sucks more than the competition, then stick with it.

Some of us like Macs; in theory.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

~Coxy posted:

They already broke WiFi multiple times, and that's ignoring the mDNSresponder fuckup.

Exactly why I expect it to break again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

skull mask mcgee posted:

So, I know this thread discusses backup services sometimes, and I just want to heavily recommend against Backblaze.
Restoring online backups of more than a handful of files almost universally sucks

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

skull mask mcgee posted:

So, I know this thread discusses backup services sometimes, and I just want to heavily recommend against Backblaze. I am restoring files from an external hdd that suddenly failed this weekend, and the online restore process is a huge pain in the dick.

First off, it's not done using the app at all, something I guess I just assumed it did without checking, because that makes sense, and is not an impossible task. So you have to go to their website which has a lovely file browser for you to restore files with. You can either select specific files/folders to backup with a checkbox, or click "restore all my files." The second choice seems like the natural one, except that they give you the backup in the form of a single zip file, which they recommend you split up into 20 GB chunks for speed and reliability purposes. So, if you decide to split it into chunks, you get to manually select those files/folders their janky web app. To select multiple items, you have to manually check a box to them one at a time. If there are keyboard shortcuts, they aren't any of the obvious ones.

Then, once your backup is prepared. You can either download it through the website or a separate application they created to download files. This application sucks. You login with your username and password, select a single backup to restore, wait for it to download(my speed topped out about 4 MB/s), and then you have to quit the app and start again to download another one. Of course, after my first file attempting to login through the app again gave me a "Error: Special Unexpected Event Occurred" which there is zero documentation for, and did not resolve on its own. Downloading through the browser seems to actually work better, and was definitely faster, and I'm not convinced that such a poorly programmed application is actually any more reliable than HTTP.

It's pretty obvious that they just tacked this poo poo on so they could check the "restore from the cloud" checkbox while pushing people to pay for them to ship you an HDD or flash drive backup. Having used CrashPlan at work, I'll be switching to that. It's far more intuitive at the same price. It's a little janky sometimes but it's never actually failed to work for us.

Mostly just want to rant because this is so annoying, but hopefully someone gets something out of it.

I know I hosed up by not having a local backup, but it's not like this would be less terrible if I was restoring a backup because my house burned down

ArqBackup with AWS Glacier is my backup solution of choice. I feel your pain regarding backblaze.

ArqBackup is nice in that you can pick your favorite cloud provider to shove your data shits into.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Dick Nipples posted:

ArqBackup with AWS Glacier is my backup solution of choice. I feel your pain regarding backblaze.

ArqBackup is nice in that you can pick your favorite cloud provider to shove your data shits into.
I feel like you're going to have a similar restore experience once you need it. Arq does handle restoration fine, but the problem is Glacier. Even with ideal bandwidth settings and Arq actually doing a good job sending restore requests to Glacier, you have to wait an initial four hours before you can restore any data. While Glacier is cheap to store, they charge you a lot for any retrieval.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

wolffenstein posted:

I feel like you're going to have a similar restore experience once you need it. Arq does handle restoration fine, but the problem is Glacier. Even with ideal bandwidth settings and Arq actually doing a good job sending restore requests to Glacier, you have to wait an initial four hours before you can restore any data. While Glacier is cheap to store, they charge you a lot for any retrieval.

Sure - I've used it once to restore and it was slow but I don't use it because I need to restore regularly. You can also flip the switch on the glacier subscription to allow unlimited bandwidth but that will get expensive quick. I use it to do my disaster recovery backups.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

We know you're new at this but maybe next time toss in a tl;dr next time if you're gonna rant?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Binary Badger posted:

We know you're new at this but maybe next time toss in a tl;dr next time if you're gonna rant?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Bob Morales posted:

Restoring online backups of more than a handful of files almost universally sucks

I'm aware. I've used CrashPlan to restore a large number of files and it wasn't a great experience but it was at least serviceable.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Actually I can't even open normal files that are on the airport time capsule drive, using Finder. I can get in the drive and navigate around, and I can do Quick Look previews, but if I try to open, say, a text file, it gives an error. Disk Utility can open my sparsebundle though. Seems like a permissions problem? But in terminal I seem to be the owner of the files... Anyone else see this problem? I can't be the only one who puts random poo poo on the airport time capsule drive alongside the TM backup..
I never thought to test this until now that I have my Wacom tablet issues sorted under 10.12.2, but me too now. Only I get an error saying "application can not be opened" with error -36.

Like you describe, it works just fine if I go into something like text wrangler, navigate to the folder on the time capsule, and hit open. Also works just fine within Windows (I have my Time Capsule disk mounted as a network location on my desktop).

Time Machine still seems to work as expected, which is good.

e 12/26:

Connect using smb://[IP Address] & enter disk password. Works within finder as expected with this method.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 26, 2016

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is handoff generally a mess? We have our first mac in the house, and I can get handoff to work from my iPhone to the mac using my machine account (also signed into my iCloud account), but my wife's machine account (also signed into her iCloud account) won't hand things off from her iPhone. I've enabled handoff on all the devices, Bluetooth is on etc, all devices are signed in to their respective iCloud accounts. I've been to a couple help pages, but can't really make any progress. Maybe you guys can just tell me it works as well as airdrop and I can give up on the feature.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hahaha yeah it's pretty temperamental. Not as bad as airdrop though. It's insane how poo poo airdrop is in 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I'm not adverse to learning/using the command line, would there be any reason to use MAMP over making a dedicated ubuntu or similar VM to play around with web development? Purely personal.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

If I'm not adverse to learning/using the command line, would there be any reason to use MAMP over making a dedicated ubuntu or similar VM to play around with web development? Purely personal.

Depends if setting up/admining a server is something you want to do. Mamp works fine if all you want to do is write some php or install Wordpress. Docker would also be an option but it certainly isn't easy and I wouldn't touch it unless that's a path you really want to go down in future.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Not really. MAMP is super simple, and if you're going to be pushing your code up to a Ubuntu server anyhow there's nothing wrong with setting up a VM to test it on locally.

I'm guessing that running even a mostly idle VM is going to eat more battery than MAMP, though.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I hope the dev who makes Textual gets the app back on track again. I could already tell it was having hiccups in the past year but this last week, he finally sent out an email apologizing and trying to fix the issues with it.

What happens, who knows.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the best ad blocker for OSX? I had been using 1Blocker but recently it seems to have just completely stopped working.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

What's the best ad blocker for OSX? I had been using 1Blocker but recently it seems to have just completely stopped working.

I just use this as a host file: https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

There's a port of uBlock Origin for Safari now

https://github.com/el1t/uBlock-Safari/releases

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is there any way to get picture-in-picture to put the video all the way in the corner of the screen?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Last Chance posted:

There's a port of uBlock Origin for Safari now

https://github.com/el1t/uBlock-Safari/releases

I've been using this, and it seems to be working much better than 1Blocker,

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Ratjaculation posted:

What is your problem? His first sentence was a tl;dr.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Phoenixan posted:

I never thought to test this until now that I have my Wacom tablet issues sorted under 10.12.2, but me too now. Only I get an error saying "application can not be opened" with error -36.

Like you describe, it works just fine if I go into something like text wrangler, navigate to the folder on the time capsule, and hit open. Also works just fine within Windows (I have my Time Capsule disk mounted as a network location on my desktop).

Time Machine still seems to work as expected, which is good.

e 12/26:

Connect using smb://[IP Address] & enter disk password. Works within finder as expected with this method.

Hey thanks, that worked for me too (and yeah, the error -36 was what I was getting).

Only now unmounting the SMB when I'm finished it being tempermental, complaining that Finder is using it when I tell Finder to eject it.. I don't know why OS X networking has to be such a pain in the rear end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is it no longer possible to download updates for iOS apps in iTunes?

I see an update tab, but it just links to the App Store, which… doesn't seem to allow me to update, just purchase more apps.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Is there any way to make Word 365 show the character count permanently? It's driving me nuts. The word count is there but you can't switch it to characters like with Pages.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Is it no longer possible to download updates for iOS apps in iTunes?

I see an update tab, but it just links to the App Store, which… doesn't seem to allow me to update, just purchase more apps.

My Apps -> Right Click -> Update works for me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I did some New Year's cleaning on my MBP and I now have literally too many files in my trash can to delete. Like emptying the trash has the OS count up to about 1 million files and then it gives me errors that I have to clear manually (no 'apply to all' here) about every 5k files until I get frustrated and quit. Or I delete the stuff in parts and it counts up to 300k and then gives me an error that the operation couldn't complete.

Using the terminal command, 'sudo rm -rvf /Volumes/Away/.Trashes/' I've managed to get rid of some data, but that just runs for a couple of hours and then I have marginally less junk in my trash bin. Every time I run it I get a bit less stuff, but this is getting ridiculous.

I did have some disk repair alerts, but I booted into recovery mode and fixed those errors. I guess I can do this for another couple of days, but I was hoping someone knew of a faster way to clear out these files.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

I did some New Year's cleaning on my MBP and I now have literally too many files in my trash can to delete. Like emptying the trash has the OS count up to about 1 million files and then it gives me errors that I have to clear manually (no 'apply to all' here) about every 5k files until I get frustrated and quit. Or I delete the stuff in parts and it counts up to 300k and then gives me an error that the operation couldn't complete.

Using the terminal command, 'sudo rm -rvf /Volumes/Away/.Trashes/' I've managed to get rid of some data, but that just runs for a couple of hours and then I have marginally less junk in my trash bin. Every time I run it I get a bit less stuff, but this is getting ridiculous.

I did have some disk repair alerts, but I booted into recovery mode and fixed those errors. I guess I can do this for another couple of days, but I was hoping someone knew of a faster way to clear out these files.

Erase the drive, reinstall, and restore the files you want from your backup?

That's gotta be faster than what you're describing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Erase the drive, reinstall, and restore the files you want from your backup?

That's gotta be faster than what you're describing.

That would be quicker. This is my platter drive in the MBP so I could pull it out without reinstalling the OS.

I'd like to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling hardware in my laptop though. I'm not even sure I could reverse the files back out of the trash and onto the drive for me to format. I have no idea if MacOS would just poo poo the bed if I reformatted the disk while the trash bin still thought there were hundreds of thousands of files waiting to be deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AskDifferent or Unix stack exchange site might have fix