Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Linus Drill Tips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How many papers do they publish on the merits of different gaming mouse pad surfaces??

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sormus posted:

For example: They decided to renovate their home office thing and migrate all their computers to water cooling, in the same loop, with wall-mounted copper pipes. For some reason they were surprised to see massive amounts of corrosion in their water. They also used a bathtub to store their reservoir and pumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bLtg9J1Oc
Are external radiators still a thing? I remember a friend of mine had this huge passive radiator from Zalman, but I've never seen anything like that again.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Paul MaudDib posted:

You probably don't use an unending supply nasty-rear end tap water to do it though.

I mean even if you filled it with tap water in the first place the minerals would eventually precipitate out and you would get something reasonably clean plus some crust, but a continuous supply of tap water ensures that your parts are going to look like the Elephant's Foot before too long.

Oh yeah, no, you use UPW for that. THat's part of the whole 'Not planning it out' thing
e: or at least distilled

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 1, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Raid50 on Windows feels like someone trying to make a system that doesn't need backups -- when in fact you're dramatically increasing your need for disaster recovery from backup.

youtube hardware reviewers are sometimes the only thing worse than the Spiceworks forums.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

JawnV6 posted:

That's the other thing I don't get about more registers in general. If you want to actually use them you're still hitting memory to avoid disturbing others above or below on the call stack. Whether that's nicely encoded in a CISCy 2b call opcode or handled one at a time by instructions, it's still happening.
eh? are you talking about the calling convention? because you definitely don't have to push/pop all registers on every function call (caller vs callee saved regs, liveness analysis)

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
To quote of my favorite movies:

Jurassic Park posted:

Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, that they didn't stop to think if they should.

There is a reason that people in the NAS/Storage threads try and stop people from doing stupid poo poo like this. On the high level, sure having a RAID50 of SSDs sounds amazing for editing video in a small studio due to the insane amount of IOPS it produces. Until you realize the amount of liability you have in a hobbled together system that comes crashing down and crushes your data into oblivion. Or the fact that is probably only gigabit to the workstations so that performance is going to be wasted because I sincerely doubt someone that stupid about how servers works installed FC/10gb HBAs and the requisite switching to make it happen. And clearly their 'backup' plan was non existent or untested. RAID is not a backup.

When I ran a 'post house' for a film school, our workstations had directly attached RAID5 arrays with 8x2TB disks which could easily support 400MB/s read and write, which is 3-4 times what you get from gigabit. I was abundantly clear that all projects should be backed up to external hard drives, as well as any source media files because I gave no guarantees about the viability of that array if we lost a disk, which happened a few times. I never lost any data, but that was because I was proactive about monitoring and making sure the workflows supported the configuration.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Granted, they're using SSDs, but it'll probably still apply in some form.

Bargain basement Kingston SSD's.
When doing stupid stuff to store all your business critical data make sure to buy the cheapest TLC drives you can find.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
While we're posting stories of times Linus was a total idiot (it's every time he's done anything,) how about the time he mounted a heatsink with zipties because he didn't have the right mounting hardware yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48A_Yqj965c

The guy's a total boob, only thing his videos are good for is laughing at.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are external radiators still a thing? I remember a friend of mine had this huge passive radiator from Zalman, but I've never seen anything like that again.

Holy lol this is really absurd.

Also since we're calling out bad Youtubers, is JayzTwoCents okay? :ohdear: Asking for a friend.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Dali Parton posted:

Also since we're calling out bad Youtubers, is JayzTwoCents okay? :ohdear: Asking for a friend.

don't listen to these guys. linus is fine if you're just a general low-mid consumer and not some wtftechlord. jayz's benchmarks are fine i just find him more annoying than some other reviewers

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Col.Kiwi posted:

While we're posting stories of times Linus was a total idiot (it's every time he's done anything,) how about the time he mounted a heatsink with zipties because he didn't have the right mounting hardware yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48A_Yqj965c

The guy's a total boob, only thing his videos are good for is laughing at.

:ughh:

My latest server build uses the narrow ILM 2011 socket, but I actually did the research and bought the correct Noctura cooler, you know, because I am actually a competent professional who manages servers for a living.

Part of me wants to find the benchmark video where they find out that video encoding and transcoding is still very much favors clock speed over MOAR CORES but I just can't take any more of this jackass today. I do love that the camera guy was laughing at him though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mayodreams posted:

:ughh:

My latest server build uses the narrow ILM 2011 socket, but I actually did the research and bought the correct Noctura cooler, you know, because I am actually a competent professional who manages servers for a living.

Part of me wants to find the benchmark video where they find out that video encoding and transcoding is still very much favors clock speed over MOAR CORES but I just can't take any more of this jackass today. I do love that the camera guy was laughing at him though.

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mlloZT5ZyY

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Backing up data on non redundant RAID setups seems like as good an idea as backing up the Marines with poison gas

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Paul MaudDib posted:

Here you go
*idiot video*

Yes, I go and buy all the possible choices to benchmark everything to find out what works best. Or, I understand how computers, applications, and workflows actually function and buy the right tool for the job.

Also, to actually bring this back on topic, I lol'd at the 'Top of the line E5-2xxx' processor. It's not like E7 series exists or anything. :rolleyes:

I am actually pricing out dual and quad socket mySQL servers now, and probably going with the dual sockets because of our workload and mySQL version don't really scale well enough to warrant doubling the cost of the server.

Edit: grammar

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 2, 2017

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
You'd think he'd know enough to spend the 30 seconds needed to look at CPU usage of his workflow before buying all this poo poo. Especially something that he knows is GPU-accelerated anyway.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What if it's all a ploy to get more views?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Dali Parton posted:

Yeah, JayzTwoCents is fine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, JayzTwoCents is fine.

"He has to go. He knows AMD sucks."

There's a lot of resentment from the AMD crowd about him, because he doesn't kiss AMD's rear end when they gently caress up, or recommend lovely gear out of some sense of "fairness". He really also trends toward high-end gear for his personal rigs, just like every other reviewer (when's the last time you saw Linus do a GPU benchmark that wasn't on a 6950X?), and that's a space where Intel and NVIDIA dominate.

In the end he's pretty fair though. He recommended the RX 480, he's said Ryzen sounds pretty interesting based on the one demo AMD has given (but that, y'know, this wouldn't be the first time AMD has hyped people up and failed to deliver).

The AMD crowd here is fine (we largely don't even have fanclubs in the sense that other places do), but the AMD fanbois on Reddit are just insanely defensive and irrational about anyone they perceive as attacking "their" company. They've all started buying up AMD stock to "show their support", it's insane.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 2, 2017

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

AMD fanboys are so incredibly delusional it's astonishing. It's easy to benchmark consumer PC hardware and objectively say what is and isn't worth buying. And yet real world performance means nothing to them. Real, objective data and benchmarks mean nothing to them. They will gladly buy inferior products for no logical reason and then defend their terrible decisions to the death. It is loving mind boggling.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jay's a dude who knows what he's talking about, and can put it into practice. I've bought AMD GPUs for almost a decade now, through thick and thin, and I appreciate and agree with his honesty and knowledge of how to really get the most oomph you can out of your purchases.

Linus pretends to know what he's talking about and would be paying for his ridiculously high project failure rate if it weren't for his massive sponsorships that come from being the Pewdiepie of computer hardware.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
So this is what happens when Moore's Law is about to commit suicide on the alter of Intel's tick tock tock tock clock.

External radiators, youtube personalities and raid 50s with no backup. The future is grim.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Linus harnesses cringe. Their videos are just embarrassing to watch when he's the host. Their other guy, what's his name? Josh? Has the occasional bad moment but in general is much better.

e: I unironically want to build a tiny case computer with full watercooling, attached to radiator tower. Because gently caress it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
External radiators are cool & good.

I vaguely recall a story where a corporate campus had a fountain out front that exchanged heat for their supercomputer.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Stop the radiator hate. A fanless pc is a dream of mine and idgaf about trying to cram everything into something the size of a pack of cigs

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PerrineClostermann posted:

What if it's all a ploy to get more views?

I can give less fucks about those attention whores. I rather watch side-by-side game FPS tests on older hardware (it's quite amazing and funny on how well a 9-year old Q9650 does with a GTX 970), retro PC builds and stuff that aren't covered to death by the major reviewing sites.

Paul MaudDib posted:

because he doesn't kiss AMD's rear end when they gently caress up,

Like recommending the RX480 before the power fixes? Never cared about him before, and never will after that.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

AMD fanboys are so incredibly delusional it's astonishing. It's easy to benchmark consumer PC hardware and objectively say what is and isn't worth buying. And yet real world performance means nothing to them. Real, objective data and benchmarks mean nothing to them. They will gladly buy inferior products for no logical reason and then defend their terrible decisions to the death. It is loving mind boggling.

My personal favorite act of sheer dumb was them buying AM3+ mobos before Bulldozer even showed up on review sites back in 2011. How is that a good idea no sane guy will ever fathom.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 2, 2017

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Platystemon posted:

External radiators are cool & good.

I vaguely recall a story where a corporate campus had a fountain out front that exchanged heat for their supercomputer.
this is a pretty normal approach for supercomputers. it's very common to use waste heat as part of the HVAC system, for example.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
How many (aftermarket desktop) cases are there that use the case itself as a heatsink? If you used the backside or bottom of the case as a fin setup (with protection), I wonder how well that'd work either as a direct mount on the cpu or attachments for liquid hoses.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

"He has to go. He knows AMD sucks."

There's a lot of resentment from the AMD crowd about him, because he doesn't kiss AMD's rear end when they gently caress up, or recommend lovely gear out of some sense of "fairness". He really also trends toward high-end gear for his personal rigs, just like every other reviewer (when's the last time you saw Linus do a GPU benchmark that wasn't on a 6950X?), and that's a space where Intel and NVIDIA dominate.

In the end he's pretty fair though. He recommended the RX 480, he's said Ryzen sounds pretty interesting based on the one demo AMD has given (but that, y'know, this wouldn't be the first time AMD has hyped people up and failed to deliver).

The AMD crowd here is fine (we largely don't even have fanclubs in the sense that other places do), but the AMD fanbois on Reddit are just insanely defensive and irrational about anyone they perceive as attacking "their" company. They've all started buying up AMD stock to "show their support", it's insane.

Yeah, my current GPU is AMD and so was my last one, but I just see him as being pretty unbiased and it's part of the reason he's one of my favorite tech Youtubers. I can't really blame him for going with high end components when he has access to them. I'd do the same thing if I had the extra money lying around or industry connections. Also, on the subject of Ryzen, he said recently that if it's as good as it's seems so far, he wants to do a personal build with one. I really do not get the hate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Professor Science posted:

this is a pretty normal approach for supercomputers. it's very common to use waste heat as part of the HVAC system, for example.

Exchanging heat with a lake or river is one thing, but making it an ornamental water water feature? I would think that is unusual.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Platystemon posted:

Exchanging heat with a lake or river is one thing, but making it an ornamental water water feature? I would think that is unusual.

If you want to, say, keep a water feature going in cold temperature areas, a fountain is a great way to do so, since the heat exchanger will help keep the fountain water from freezing up and causing any valves or pumps from seizing, while the extremely cold water will provide beneficial for maximizing heat transfer across the exchanger.

I get to help design closed loop cooling systems for ozone generators and we see a decent increase in exchanger efficiency during the colder months of the year when service water from distribution systems are at their coldest. Fountains work similarly.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Palladium posted:

Like recommending the RX480 before the power fixes? Never cared about him before, and never will after that.

Haha, yeah, recommending a card that performed as well as cards that were priced $100-200 more than it showed that he's an AMD shill. Also, you realize that no one knew about the power issues until after that review was made, right? And he brought it up on TechTalk and talked about it for a good 15-20 minutes the very next day? Oh, and he had people giving him poo poo and calling him an Nvidia fanboy for even bringing it up.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought it performed slightly worse than the 1060 and wasn't available for MSRP for months. I remember a long period where you could get 200 dollar 1060s and 480s were up at 240 dollars. People speculated that the harder to find 4GB model was just for a bullet point 200 dollar price point and 480s actually would stay at 240 (which proved not to be true, but that was how hard it was to find a 200 dollar 480).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SourKraut posted:

If you want to, say, keep a water feature going in cold temperature areas, a fountain is a great way to do so, since the heat exchanger will help keep the fountain water from freezing up and causing any valves or pumps from seizing, while the extremely cold water will provide beneficial for maximizing heat transfer across the exchanger.

I get to help design closed loop cooling systems for ozone generators and we see a decent increase in exchanger efficiency during the colder months of the year when service water from distribution systems are at their coldest. Fountains work similarly.

Isn't there an "open loop" cooling technique where you let water "rain" through the air to cool it? I think someone talked about it in one of these tech threads, the downsize was that you needed a big pipe/tower and your room would get humid as gently caress.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Evaporative cooling. It’s how "swamp coolers" operate.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Isn't there an "open loop" cooling technique where you let water "rain" through the air to cool it? I think someone talked about it in one of these tech threads, the downsize was that you needed a big pipe/tower and your room would get humid as gently caress.

Yah iirc it is an open connection to the outside with water mist sprayers that the incoming air passes through to cool it a bit. That's pretty much it, no A/C used. And the heat generated is used to hear the office space in winter etc.

Datacentres today are really different than the raised floor A/C ones of yesteryear now that the power usage efficiency is king. It's really interesting stuff, there were some lunch and learns on them at my work. The humidity is way up and they run the electronics as close to the peak temp rating as possible, and in the hot aisles you can't even go in there without specialized cooling gear. It's wild.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Sorry for the derail, but I love this stuff. Are you saying that they don't bother cooling any more than is absolutely necessary? To the point that a human being could suffer heatstroke or something while in the racks? lmao that's crazy

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

craig588 posted:

I thought it performed slightly worse than the 1060 and wasn't available for MSRP for months. I remember a long period where you could get 200 dollar 1060s and 480s were up at 240 dollars. People speculated that the harder to find 4GB model was just for a bullet point 200 dollar price point and 480s actually would stay at 240 (which proved not to be true, but that was how hard it was to find a 200 dollar 480).

The 1060 came out 20 days after the 480 and the PCIE power problem was only an issue for 8 days.

e: Also, he was reviewing the 8GB version and the cards it was comparable with at release were the GTX 970 and R9 390

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 2, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ufarn posted:

What specifically are their backgrounds? Comp-sci, engineering? I've always assumed they had something beyond a history of tampering with computers in their childhood.
Pretty sure they don't. I think Linus used to work for Canadian version of Newegg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Linus harnesses cringe. Their videos are just embarrassing to watch when he's the host. Their other guy, what's his name? Josh? Has the occasional bad moment but in general is much better.

You don't watch Linus even though he is clueless 15 year old computer geek in a 30 year old body kludging together hardware in stupid ways.

You watch Linus precisely because he is a clueless 15 year old computer geek in a 30 year old body kludging together hardware in stupid ways.

He's basically living the 15 year old computer geek dream so watching him do stupid poo poo with expensive hardware lets people vicariously experience the childlike joy of going full :retrogames: and putting 12 core Xeons in mini ITX shoebox cases and realising that's actually terrible for gaming afterwards.