Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I stay in the instructional league.

Well, I need the instruction too because I'm a tire fire on the ice. But I'm friends with everyone in the league and that's the most fun part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What kind of instruction do you get?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8 or 9 coached and reffed games per 15 week session, and a clinic every week. They split the clinics into a skating section and a team drill section so you get a bit of everything.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That sounds awesome, what do you pay for that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$375.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

That's why I stay in the instructional league.

Well, I need the instruction too because I'm a tire fire on the ice. But I'm friends with everyone in the league and that's the most fun part.

You may be in instructional league on the ice but you've graduated into a solid beer league poster, my friend :unsmith:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I did instructional league a few years ago when I was getting back into ice hockey.

Honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made. There were a wide variety of skill levels there and running drills made a huge difference.

Games are great but coached drills with lots of puck contact really help the average beer leaguer not to panic the second they touch the puck and be more comfortable.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The only passes I need are the one to the back of the net :smugdog:

...my own net.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Skated on the new skates today. Firmly convinced that baking skates cheats you of the painful break in that is a rite of passage for all hockey players. I am "the oldest fart in the world" according to my son, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also fell gloriously on my rear end at the end and drove home with ice butt. Feels good

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

You may be in instructional league on the ice but you've graduated into a solid beer league poster, my friend :unsmith:

Quoting this as the nicest thing sellouts has ever posted in this thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No it's business as usual because a lovely forums poster that's a good skater would be way better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

Quoting this as the nicest thing sellouts has ever posted in this thread.

*only

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
New Year's day scrimmage today and it was probably the best possible scrimmage you could hope for. Good mix of skills including at least one d5 player who was ridiculously fast but would always try to set people up rather than just score. He ended up only getting one kind of lucky stuff-in goal. Both goalies played really well, too, and made some fun saves. Ended up only being like 4-2 after a couple lucky shots.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't normally chirp because I like to be friendly but this dude came out to beginner shinny today and was dancing around everyone. I don't mind that necessarily because we get all skills coming out to that game, but he was just ragging the puck and not passing to his teammates at all. I was chasing him in our zone and I just called out to the other D-man "don't worry, he's not gonna pass, he doesn't pass!" and the dude sent the shittiest shame-pass right to one of our guys. And that's my story of how chirping saved shinny.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
^ a plot twist ending like something by M Night Brendan Shanahan

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

EvilTwig posted:

^ a plot twist ending like something by M Night Brendan Shanahan
:bravo:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I pulled a bit of selfless-selfish double for the upcoming winter season.

Was playing B1 at the new Barn, and signups for the next season went up the week of Thanksgiving. All goalie slots were filled by Sunday, which left me and another currently-playing goalie (Ligh, you know him Bradf0rd) out in the cold. So I'm placed on the wait list to see if the B1 league expands to 6 teams from 4, and in the meantime I snag a lower B2 goalie spot just in case. Night of the new player skate, they get enough players to field 6 teams, and I'm in. But it turns out the other goalie was #3 on the wait list, and is again out in the cold. I talk to the league manager, as well as the #2 goalie about what's happening, and I make the decision to give up my B1 wait list spot and take my B2 goalie spot, with it a deal to let me skate out in B1 as well. Now, I'm a lower-middle B2 skater, so I'm certain I'm playing over my head, but I'm pretty chuffed to be presented the challenge. And B1 is the only Austin adult league I haven't skated out for. With this, I have not just played goalie for every league, but I will have skated out in every full-ice league as well.

So I'll have B2 Tuesday, B1 Wednesday, Mixed and C1 Sunday, B2/B1/C1 sometimes Saturday, as well as the meandering Chap B2 league throughout the month. Busy busy.

At this point, the next beer league challenge for me is to play for every goddamned team ever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bradford moved, man. No one cares.

Also aren't there A and AA+ leagues you haven't skated with?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Also aren't there A and AA+ leagues you haven't skated with?

I've skated in two A games. AA I haven't been given the opportunity. AFAIK that's the highest adult league outside of exclusive private ice rentals that aren't so much leagues as they are shinnies. I doubt I'll ever get the chances Titanium gets playing with ex-pros and farm talent.

sellouts posted:

bradford moved, man. No one cares.

He never moved out of my heart.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

I've skated in two A games. AA I haven't been given the opportunity. AFAIK that's the highest adult league outside of exclusive private ice rentals that aren't so much leagues as they are shinnies. I doubt I'll ever get the chances Titanium gets playing with ex-pros and farm talent.

:smug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I went bar-down from a backhand last night on a breakaway. I think that's the first time I've actually been able to lift a backhand while skating full-speed. Surprised the poo poo out of myself. Usually I just casually push it into the goalie's kicker and hate myself for not just shooting forehand in the first place.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I went bar-down from a backhand last night on a breakaway. I think that's the first time I've actually been able to lift a backhand while skating full-speed. Surprised the poo poo out of myself. Usually I just casually push it into the goalie's kicker and hate myself for not just shooting forehand in the first place.

Backhand goals up top are so sweet. Most of the time its because the goalie doesn't respect it, and because most of the time you do exactly what you said. I got to put home a whopper a few seasons ago to keep one of the lesser liked teams in our league winless in a tournament. Short side, just below the faceoff dot, D right on me so backhand was my only option, over the shoulder. It was good enough that guys on other teams that stuck around to watch were commenting on how sweet it was at the bar after the game. Hockey is cool sometimes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's sweet when you accidentally do something awesome like stick-handle through 3 guys in the slot and smoke the goalie glove side.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've only ever gotten the backhand to pop up super high in-game once ever and it was on a quick zone clear from behind my own net out past our blue line. I still have no idea how the gently caress I did it, it felt so effortless and flew perfectly saucer-like; I've never been able to recreate it since. For whatever reason the goddamn backhand mechanics just elude me.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's like shoveling snow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also a flatter curve makes it easier.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Chemmy posted:

It's like shoveling snow.

I've lived in cities in the pacific northwest for 40 years. The above is a thing I've never done. :v:

edit: wait no I did have to do that once in Portland like 13 years ago.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 4, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I scored for the first time in like a year tonight :toot:

We lost 5-3, gonna blame the goalie.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We played a lovely team who got really physical and talked poo poo all night. They took 9 penalties, we took 7. Refs were calling things tight with a capital T.

We were down 4-1. At the end of the game, one of their guys went hard into the boards for the puck and things got heated. The opponent took his glove off and flipped off our defenseman. I started laughing but apparently that's really offensive and they started getting rough. Benches cleared but nothing came of it. But a few extra penalties (one which counted as a third and subsequent suspension for their guy).

I've been sick the last 2 weeks. I coughed up a lung on my hand and went to the line. Beer league: Bio-warfare.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Crashed into my own team mate, fell directly on the one spot on my rear end with genuinely no padding. It hurts to sit, stand, walk, lie down, anything. I missed 4 passes that weren't awful and one directly cost us a goal.

We also lost 9-3. Should've just stayed home.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

I've lived in cities in the I-5 corridor of the pacific northwest for 40 years. The above is a thing I've never done. :v:

Fixed that for you. Hell, I had to shovel slush this weekend, did you just let it ice over on your sidewalk or something?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
It melted and drained/evaporated away up here. :shrug: there's only a tiny bit of ice in the gutter in front of our house. Everything else is dry.

Oh and yes: beer @ the doof after the thurs game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want this man's shot.

https://i.imgur.com/XdUw4MJ.gifv

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
First game last night. The captain forgot our goalie went to Cancun this week so that made for a mad scramble to get someone to play net. We would have 8 except one of our players actually works for the rink and had to score keep so he couldn't play and then found out that contrary to what the league had told us one of our players was suspended for the season maybe year maybe forever :shrug: despite all that we came back from being down 5-1 to go up 7-5 and then have 3 awful turnovers and a penalty to put us down 9-7 :( on the plus side a way better game than our usual first game of the season.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

xzzy posted:

I want this man's shot.

I assume you mean the hockey shooter because the gun shooter kinda sucks.

Also, why does it seem like he's using the back of the blade but shooting with his forehand? Is that to give it more elevation?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a proper right handed stick, I assume it's just the pure black of the tape throwing your perspective off.

It's like that silhouette illusion of the spinning girl.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

doctor 7 posted:

Should've just stayed home.

playing hockey > not playing hockey.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

After years and years of watching hockey and living in a great hockey city, I've finally decided to take the plunge into learning how to play. There's a rink near me that's run by the city, which offers a ton of classes and ice time for relatively cheap. The extent of my skating ability is "I can skate in a big loop during public skate hours and successfully avoid the deluge of falling children without falling down myself." I enrolled in an adults-only beginner's course, which has 8 weekly lessons, starting at the end of January. All I have right now are skates (Bauer Vapor X400) and I imagine I'll need a helmet and gloves for the lessons, but the entire course description is "This beginner activity is designed to teach the fundamentals of skating for hockey." so it's not very clear what all I'll need.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hooray I'm 1 of 2 people registered so far for some mid-Missouri beer league hockey! First time playing since like June in some very infrequent pick-up skates (and have skated maybe a dozen times in the last year, oof).

The application asked for player skill on a scale of 1 to 5 but gave no idea of what each rating meant so I went with a nice safe 3. Will I be a ringer in a league of never-evers or dead weight in a league of young former college players?

Bewbies where do I get a stick in CoMo or is it internet time instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Just fire them an email. Fundamentals of skating for hockey could be as bare as skates and a helmet or up to full gear.