Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

VolticSurge posted:

They shouldn't. Don't think they're gonna learn any lessons from this- the game made a whole bunch of money off the tumblr/reddit/4chan memelord crowd,they'll probably ignore any criticism and make their next game exactly like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I think this was in the audio that got hosed up since it was just Zen, myself, and either Covak or Pavlov (I can't remeber. The recording session was a couple weeks ago, and I had already drank quite a bit then), but I still would have preferred Zen to replace the ending of this game with the dog ending from Silent Hill 2.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Speaking of fuckboy.

Day Eighteen

Update from last page.

Is the exposition of world/character traits somehow getting worse?

When this game ends I have questions for the people that enjoyed the character(s)/writing of this game. Like if this is just a taste/guilty pleasure thing, whatever, you do you, but what kind of redeeming writing is in here at all? Like what was even the point of that episode existing? Was any of that funny or adding to anyone's characters? The world? What is this in service to?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Final Day

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

They shouldn't. Don't think they're gonna learn any lessons from this- the game made a whole bunch of money off the tumblr/reddit/4chan memelord crowd,they'll probably ignore any criticism and make their next game exactly like this.
It's not like they got much criticism from game review outlets or from customers

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Can the LP really end when we still have no idea why anyone likes this game?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The nicest criticism I can say about this game's writing is that it is one half of a story with characters having one half character arc. I'm frankly surprised we don't get an author self insert at one point telling us that "people don't have character arcs" or some other bullshit excuse for nothing happening. It's a 7-8 hour novel with like 1 hour of actual content, I get that they were going for a sitcom approach ("it's about nothing") but this is supposed to be cyberpunk bartending action, instead it is the meme waifu version of Seinfeld.

I don't hate it but I hate that the standard for videogame writing is so low that people unironically praise this thing as one of the best written indie games of 2016.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

GimmickMan posted:

I'm really excited to see what the thread thinks of the finale's incredible sense of closure.

Well you got your answer. We were so busy talking about butts that we missed it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Well you got your answer. We were so busy talking about butts that we missed it.

That was actually literary discussion.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Zenithe posted:

That was actually literary discussion.

Butt tingling book club

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Miz Kriss posted:

Butt tingling book club
I don't know whether that speaks well for the apparent bizarreness of Chuck Tingle, or instead speaks badly for the stiffness and/or discomfort of the game's writing. Potentially both.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

I don't know whether that speaks well for the apparent bizarreness of Chuck Tingle, or instead speaks badly for the stiffness and/or discomfort of the game's writing. Potentially both.

I just assumed a discussion of asses and farting in literature was about James Joyce.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Really Pants posted:

Can the LP really end when we still have no idea why anyone likes this game?

Because they didn't go into it wanting to rip it to shreds?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

Neither did I, but in the end that did nothing to improve the huge pile of awkward references, tiresome edgy tryhard poo poo, or complete absence of plot. Should it have?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Justin_Brett posted:

:rolleyes:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I just assumed a discussion of asses and farting in literature was about James Joyce.
Please, farts in literature goes way back to The Canterbury Tales.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I wanted to like this game.

I like the aesthetics and some of the sitcom bits. I also think there is a lot of potential in having a 'life on the ground' perspective on what life in a cyberpunk society is like when you're not a cyborg hacker antihero running in the shadows. I think that Kim's little arc, consisting of all of 3 scenes, shows the writers can be decent when they're not trying to jam anime references or waifu pandering into every scene. The minor characters in general are okay, except ingram who sucks. Of the main cast, sei, stella, gillian and jamie are alright too.

The problem is that after any scene I am okay with I get another where I have to deal with dorothy or titty hacker and they're both garbage characters shilled super hard as being super cool and fun people. Special mention goes to Stella for being a corporate apologist catgirl but somehow not being insufferable, probably because she doesn't talk like someone's idea of a sexually liberated waifu. So the sitcom aspect is kind of hit and miss.

What about the cyberpunk every day life perspective? Well, the game's intro wants us to think this place is a hellish dystopia where life is hard and things might as well be lawless... And yet half the news in Jill's feed are about anime or videogames instead of talking about anything actually important. Your clients include george constanza, shibas cosplaying metal gear solid, an absurd camgirl who is an elaborate nico-nico douga joke and hatsune miku. The organizations in the game are references to nerd terminology or pop culture, applied so haphazard and pointlessly they might as well be gibberish. This is only a dystopia in the sense that life is now a cheap anime light novel and that's goddamn terrifying.

Also, at the risk of repeating myself, little to nothing interesting actually happens onscreen. Jill has an arc and other people do some stuff offscreen. That's it.

So what does that leave us with? With bad gameplay. I dont know how anybody could have playtested this for more than an hour at a time and thought "Yes, this constant drag and drop and looking up recipes is a fun experience". Redoing orders just to explore alternate dialogue (without knowing whether you will get any actual new dialogue or not each time) is also an unfun chore.

It is half of a good game at best and everything this thread condemns it for at worst.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 6, 2017

blankd
Mar 26, 2010
Wow, even if you muscled through all the rest of the game how did anyone forgive that NOTHING of an ending? The game didn't even put in a nice ending CG to try and justify ~the feels~.

My final kick of this poorly written horse: The final day and the epilogue just confirms that this reads like a gamejam script that was never edited for anything except the most technical of grammar. Half of it was padding, a strong third was just exposition or repetition and whatever was left was just unfunny filler. Most of the patrons are padding since they repeat their thin gimmicks far too long.

EDIT: I had to actually look up who was Kim again, that's not great...

blankd fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 6, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

blankd posted:

Wow, even if you muscled through all the rest of the game how did anyone forgive that NOTHING of an ending?

But wait! There are more endings, to be done in SSLPformats, and I'm sure they will be great.

GimmickMan posted:

I wanted to like this game.

Me too. The concept is really cool, as are the aesthetics. In the hands of some classier and more talented writers, this could be a really cool experience.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

GimmickMan posted:

The nicest criticism I can say about this game's writing is that it is one half of a story with characters having one half character arc. I'm frankly surprised we don't get an author self insert at one point telling us that "people don't have character arcs" or some other bullshit excuse for nothing happening. It's a 7-8 hour novel with like 1 hour of actual content, I get that they were going for a sitcom approach ("it's about nothing") but this is supposed to be cyberpunk bartending action, instead it is the meme waifu version of Seinfeld.

See, you just missed hitting on the right way to have ended this shitshow. Right in the middle of Jill's boring-rear end conversation with that girl that showed up once to wrap up that subplot that got referenced a couple times but had zero emotional weight because this game is all tell and no show, the police show up to arrest the entire cast for being associated with Dorothy and the game ends right there, immediate drop to desktop. Though I guess that's less Seinfeld and more this.

Then again, that's kinda what the game manages to do, completely inadvertently. Instead of actually concluding anything in the game whatsoever, it was a whole lotta nothin' that wastes a good ten minutes while the player keeps waiting, wondering if there's maybe something more afterwards. The overall story of this idiot game is "a whole bunch of bullshit happens for a while, and then it abruptly stops happening" which would be terrifyingly nihilistic had it been intentional.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Well this game ended up being nothing I hoped and everything I expected. I had hoped it was just having the same pacing/starting issues that lots of genuinely good VNs have but no, the first part was actually the good part of the story. The developers just knew their target audience well enough that they could get away with bad writing/characters/plot as long as they had nice art, music and a good amount of pandering.

Also god drat the jokes in this game are a mess, it's always sad to see a character laugh at a joke that you don't. It's like watching a stand-up comedian desperately ask the audience to laugh. The only jokes I laughed at were references to other, funnier things. The only original joke this game really made was itself.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

See, you just missed hitting on the right way to have ended this shitshow. Right in the middle of Jill's boring-rear end conversation with that girl that showed up once to wrap up that subplot that got referenced a couple times but had zero emotional weight because this game is all tell and no show, the police show up to arrest the entire cast for being associated with Dorothy and the game ends right there, immediate drop to desktop. Though I guess that's less Seinfeld and more this.

Y'know what? I'll take an anticlimax ending with a bit of dark humor over this non-ending. It could be Gillian's past catching up with him or that the authorities looking for Alice_Rabbit catch up to Alma. You don't even need to be grimdark or a troll about it, you can still have all the ending scenes happening with people talking in their cells or coming over to visit.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

GimmickMan posted:

Y'know what? I'll take an anticlimax ending with a bit of dark humor over this non-ending. It could be Gillian's past catching up with him or that the authorities looking for Alice_Rabbit catch up to Alma. You don't even need to be grimdark or a troll about it, you can still have all the ending scenes happening with people talking in their cells or coming over to visit.

Oh, hey! Maybe they could keep the whole character-specific multiple endings angle, and the cops show up for that person's specific crimes! Half the cast acknowledge being criminals of some sort already, you'd only need to make stuff up for the other half. Hell, I'd have given a genuine, out-loud laugh if Cyberpunk George Costanza's ending just reenacted (more or less) the ending of Seinfeld. Instead of ending on Jerry trying stand-up in jail, have Jill serving toilet sangria to the inmates while still managing to have mind-bogglingly banal conversations, it practically writes itself.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Dire Lemming posted:

Well this game ended up being nothing I hoped and everything I expected. I had hoped it was just having the same pacing/starting issues that lots of genuinely good VNs have but no, the first part was actually the good part of the story. The developers just knew their target audience well enough that they could get away with bad writing/characters/plot as long as they had nice art, music and a good amount of pandering.

I can't believe it took me this long to make the connection, but this post reminded me that this game wasn't just a bad anime, it was a bad slice-of-life anime. For those who might not know, slice-of-life is what they call a subgenera of anime that portrays people living in largely mundane circumstances. While in theory that could be the anime equivalent of French Realism, in practice it's characterized by lack of any real plot, conflict, or character development, also earning it the title slice-of-nothing-happens. As far as I can tell its only real draw is that 90% of them are about watching the lives of cutesy anime waifus in ways that always comes off as really voyeuristic to me.

So yes, the devs of this game really did know their audience well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just want to say that Firewatch is a short game where not much happens, you hear a lot of secondhand slice-of-life stories, there's liquor and waifus and sci-fi stuff and it even all takes place in the same location kinda

but it's actually alright

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 8, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So, how did it end for the characters we missed? First up Virgilio, who requires you to translate all his cryptic nonsense drink orders to get this ending

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oh my god, my "everyone gets arrested for a different crime, each specific to them" alternate endings idea is actually entirely possible by the writers' own design, isn't it? Calling it now, every single character you can get an ending with, and most that you can't, is guilty of a crime of some sort.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I feel like I'm missing or forgetting some bits in the middle? I recall that the whole business with him being an obtuse blowhard was a cover story to throw someone off his trail, at least.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

I feel like I'm missing or forgetting some bits in the middle? I recall that the whole business with him being an obtuse blowhard was a cover story to throw someone off his trail, at least.

Sei and Stella were rescued by a random dude, random dude is Virgilio, and he was hiding because he saved them from one of his superiors.

Also

quote:

It's a small city.

No it's not, the city you live in has 20 million people.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Virgilio gets less obnoxious if you read his dialog in the Comic Book Guy voice. At least he does in my twisted mind.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Virgilio gets less obnoxious if you read his dialog in the Comic Book Guy voice. At least he does in my twisted mind.

I just noticed that the hair curl on his forehead looks like a question mark and now I can't help but hear him in a Riddler Voice.

'RIDDLE ME THIS JILL'
'It's a gut punch Vergillio. It's always a gut punch with you.'

Still annoyed I only missed one of his drink orders :argh:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

I just noticed that the hair curl on his forehead looks like a question mark and now I can't help but hear him in a Riddler Voice.

'RIDDLE ME THIS JILL'
'It's a gut punch Vergillio. It's always a gut punch with you.'

Still annoyed I only missed one of his drink orders :argh:

Which was it out of curiosity?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The 17 one. I gave him drink number 17 on the list since I thought that was the answer.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

EponymousMrYar posted:

The 17 one. I gave him drink number 17 on the list since I thought that was the answer.

I did the same thing. It was then I started cheating by editing the script command files to speed things up.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

For some reason this one isn't working on the SSLP site, but I'll just post it here instead. This is the ending if you give *Kira* Miki the tea drink the first time you see her and then get her drunk. I have no idea why

Oh god! I can't believe I'm actually here! The concert will begin any second now! KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Wow, I've never seen her so openly excited before.

Don't talk too loudly or you'll startle her. It's always nice to see her so happy she doesn't give a drat and lets herself go.

You sure you don't mind me?

Of course not! That way I won't be the only one with little clue as to what's going on! Is it true that you've served this *Kira* Miki girl at the bar?

As amazing as it sounds. Really nice girl... If a bit oblivious to the risk some people represent.

How so?

She doesn't mind stalkers and such.

Oh.

How's your wounds?

Arm's doing fine, eye's healing nicely, and I can sleep better at night.

Just what transpired inside that bank?

It's not important anymore. What's important is that Stella will get me a job after I heal!

She will?

She's rebuilding a new armor set for me and wants me to be her bodyguard. I'd be paid for something I do anyways and I'll get to spend more time with her!

That's nice.

I'd like to spread out and help more people, but it's a nice start.

You want to be a vigilante, then?

Maybe.

KYAAAAAAAH!! SHE'S COMING OUT! IT'S HER! IT'S ACTUALLY HER!

Look, it started.

Are you here, Jill? This song is for you!

...what?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Zenithe posted:

...what?

My thought about this stupid game.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So I guess this is in my posting history now. You get this by giving Dorothy the correct drink, despite it not being what she ordered. I will say that this is probably the most interesting ending, but they couldn't possibly have included anything with Dorothy that didn't come with a massive side of creepy while they were at it.

...what?
So yeah, the guy had a fantasy about a woman castrating him. I tried for an hour to convince him it's a bad idea, and I finally got to him. We finally move to the bedroom, and it turns out the guy has a weird implant where his testicles should be. It's basically a removable ball sack! I suppose the guy really liked that fantasy and made sure he could live it out properly.

I once saw a guy at the hospital in the emergency room, after having been castrated to fulfill a fantasy.I wonder if it's the same guy.

...I have enough problems with just one, you know?

Just one what?

...Eh... um...

Heheh...

...With just listening to one of your anecdotes. You told me about the Neo-Tijuana thing, and now this. Don't you have a more... subdued story?

Come on Jo, you're an adult. You can take that much.

...(Shut up.)

Well... Last time I spoke with my mom, I asked her the story of her daughter. Turns out her name was Anna.

... Huh...

And now you pretend it's a surprise?

...(Quiet you.)

She fought against Nanomachine Rejection for most of her life. She even lost a girlfriend she made in the hospital to that same sickness.

Apparently sometime after she got out of treatment, a truck hit her and killed her. But even then, she was amazing!

...She was?

Eh?

Yeah! She kept up her studies while still in the hospital! She was a self-taught honor student! Not only that, but she also ranked among the top five candidates in at least three college admission exams! She also played the piano and guitar!

Well, being confined to a room does that, I guess.

I mean, fully able-bodied people can barely do half of that... But she practically accomplished all that by herself! And she also beat Nanomachine Rejection! A disease that only 2% of humans suffer, and even less survive. It took a trucking truck to take her down. She was great! And to think I'm sort of like her sister...

Heh... silly Becky.

Honey, did you say something?

...!

...Hm? I did not.

Weird, I swear I heard somebody call me "Silly Becky".

......! Come again?

It's not uncommon for me to hear stuff from far away and think I've heard it nearby, but... You're the only one nearby that knows my real name, so it was weird. Oh well. As I was saying, the ballsack guy...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Let's Play VA-11 HALL-A: As I was saying, the ballsack guy...

This game delivers some primo thread title material, at least.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zenithe posted:

...what?
So yeah, the guy had a fantasy about a woman castrating him.
i'm not reading past this, you rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Man, I thought I'd been reading all the text in the LP but Dorothy having anyone she thinks of as a mom must have slipped by me.

• Locked thread