Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Yeah totally be down for some catching up, hit me up. You guys using mumble ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Warcraft 3

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk
As an old 1v1 player who used to be awful and is aspiring to be awful all over again should I play on Bnet or WC3Arena? I hear Bnet is full of maphackers and WC3arena is full of ex-pros looking to give it to me dry.

I should probably just log in and play on either as I'll most likely go 0-10 either way.

Also: gently caress yeah highper.ch!

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Sushi Face posted:

I hear Bnet is full of maphackers and WC3arena is full of ex-pros looking to give it to me dry.
There are lots of noobs on w3arena, though you'll have to be ok with losing your way down to them. If you're really bad, there are also plenty of garbage noobs on bnet that I don't think would be capable of figuring out how to maphack even if they knew it existed

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
there's also players bad enough that they can't leverage a maphack into a win

obviously someone good would completely wreck you on your creep route but like scouting is so easy in war3 (in the sense that scouting workers take like, forever to kill) that getting info on the opponent's build is pretty effortless.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Zoness posted:

there's also players bad enough that they can't leverage a maphack into a win

Hell, I played a 3v3 10+ years ago where our opponents claimed to be map hacking. I watched the replay after because I thought that was a weird thing to lie about, but they were so bad they had to be lying. (We had one small token force attack one of their bases while we sent the bulk of 3 armies to another, and they all TP'd to the first, tiny attack.)

Sure enough, these guys were pinging through the fog directly on top of our armies, following them around. Some people really are just terrible.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You don't need to be good to use a DC hack, though. :v:

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Do people still play custom games? I'm thinking of rebuying WC3 because I can't find my CD keys and playing the campaigns again. It would be fun to also dick around and play some random custom games, either with goons or in the wild. What's it like these days?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

kaempfer0080 posted:

Do people still play custom games? I'm thinking of rebuying WC3 because I can't find my CD keys and playing the campaigns again. It would be fun to also dick around and play some random custom games, either with goons or in the wild. What's it like these days?

Patch 1.23 several years ago broke a large, large swath of maps because they fixed a bug called the "false return bug" which was very useful for mapmaking but also turned out to be a massive security issue. There were a few maps that didn't use it, and a few of the ones that were still being actively developed fixed it (IIRC Blizzard even offered to help Icefrog fix Dota Allstars at the time). Still, quite a few of the custom maps I remember like Orc Gladiators, a lot of the ORPGs, city builders and so on never got fixed. Map protectors also make it annoying for fans to go in and fix them, because deprotectors can be pretty dodgy.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
A war3 map is actually a just MPQ archive of different files. Some of these files are there only for the editor. When you save the map, the editor compiles their data into a format the game can use. Protecting a map is simply deleting these editor-only files as the game doesn't need them.

Unprotecting a war3 map is therefore just rebuilding the files the editor needs to open it. You can do it with just a MPQ viewer and the basic map editor. It's not hard, it's just a huge pain in the rear end. I've done it once. Never again. Very effective deterrent against idiots mucking around with your stuff.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious posted:

A war3 map is actually a just MPQ archive of different files. Some of these files are there only for the editor. When you save the map, the editor compiles their data into a format the game can use. Protecting a map is simply deleting these editor-only files as the game doesn't need them.

Unprotecting a war3 map is therefore just rebuilding the files the editor needs to open it. You can do it with just a MPQ viewer and the basic map editor. It's not hard, it's just a huge pain in the rear end. I've done it once. Never again. Very effective deterrent against idiots mucking around with your stuff.

Yeah, but there are some deprotector programs which claim to do this automatically (though I think you have to deal with some code obfuscation?). They work okay on some maps, and just blow up on others. Hence "dodgy"

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Has there been any word at all about 1.27b since April?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Any time I feel morally conflicted about slaughtering all the human refugees in UndeadX01, I just tell myself they're Syrian refugees, then the moral conflict is resolved.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
th000 (human) vs 120 (undead) in the grand finals of a tournament that had lyn, fly, infi, etc.

best of nine

https://www.twitch.tv/esl_wc3

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

More Warcraft action - nice

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Kept rooting for firelord Naga guy.

Pros sure make HvU look rough

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I wonder why he was so insistent on avoiding DK, I assume it has to do with the mana pool he'd have available for trying to disrupt creeping with a DK's death coil vs what a firelord can do.

Also to dodge the Pally + MK combo :rip:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

1.27b is out today, contains no balance or map changes

:-(

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
anyone ever play dark deeds?

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I did, was never a huge fan though. I did enjoy playing as the vampire.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Dark Deeds was my poo poo

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Dark Deeds was the loving best

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

hey 4 new posts, i bet it's something interesting

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I've been playing 1v1s with dumb strategies on EU as DONALD_J_TRUMP

I almost have enough replays for a whole .zip file of entertainment

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Grognan posted:

anyone ever play dark deeds?

Yeah that game was great. It was ported over to sc2 but something just felt wrong with it. Just like the rest of customs for some reason.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Arcland posted:

Yeah that game was great. It was ported over to sc2 but something just felt wrong with it. Just like the rest of customs for some reason.
The units in SC2 have no personality. The WC3 units are all really expressive and even random creeps felt enough like characters to feel right as hero units in custom maps. Moving a stalker around as your only unit feels unnatural, but 60% of the cartoony WC3 units felt like hero characters (and the ones that didn't, like elven archer, were rarely used).

IMO the exaggerated unit design of WC3 was a huge reason that MOBAs were able to take off in WC3 and felt wrong in the Starcraft titles surrounding it. SC/SC2 customs were at their best when it was about an exaggerated number of units going crazy.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
That flavor tied into mechanics. A lot of warcraft 3 ladder play was around keeping individual units from dying in the early game (also late game, to an extent) to keep your opponents from gaining experience or to save gold for key techs / timings. Letting an opposing blademaster or demon hunter hit level 5 early enough meant you were all but lost in a lot of matchups.

Although you could argue that the flavor-mechanics dissonance of denying keeps this analogy from holding up too much.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 27, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah, absolutely, it wasnt a knock on either SC and especially SC1, best
art and sound design ever in an RTS

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

How do I revert my installed 1.27a client to 1.26 so I can play on W3Arena?

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
I've been binge watching Wtiiwarcraft recently. Feels good to see people still rockin' and making content for W3

Brings back good memories of just clowning around in Uther's Party.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
looks like the Starcraft HD team is setting their sights on Warcraft 3

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20754635264

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20754965441

quote:

3 days ago

Hello,

Classic Games has been working hard on Warcraft III. The 1.28 patch didn’t hit all the marks we hold ourselves to. We’ve been making a lot of changes behind the scenes to make future work faster and more reliable.

Patching and installation, CD keys, data migration, missing files from MPQs, usernames and file paths with UTF-8 characters, screen modes, order ID’s broke popular non-blizzard maps, and Mac specific issues were fallout from those improvements. We are working hard to address all the issues that you’ve brought to our attention. We appreciate your patience and involvement.

Improving these classic codebases comes with its share of hazards, and we’re glad to partner with you on the endeavor. The better you communicate needs, wants, or bugs for the game, the more effective we will be at building a better Warcraft III.

As we move forward, there will be quality of life game improvements, editor updates, new map pools, balance tweaks, and more. The recent patch was an important step in paving the way for the bigger ticket items that you all want. Please continue to give us constructive feedback, let us know where we missed, and what you want us to do!

Thank you,

Matt Morris
Lead Designer, Classic Games

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Minrad posted:

looks like the Starcraft HD team is setting their sights on Warcraft 3

I sure hope they come out with an HD version. I have been playing through the campaign again these past few days and that early 2000s 3d and textures looks really rough. Honestly I feel like graphically War2 looks better. If they put out Warcraft 3 with Heroes of the storm level graphics I'll be so happy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

With I hope a little more personality. W3 Jaina has 10x more personality than Hots jaina with 1% of the polygons.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
plus warcraft 3 was the pinnacle of warcraft lore

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

DrBox posted:

I sure hope they come out with an HD version. I have been playing through the campaign again these past few days and that early 2000s 3d and textures looks really rough. Honestly I feel like graphically War2 looks better. If they put out Warcraft 3 with Heroes of the storm level graphics I'll be so happy.

I've been doing the same and you're right, War2 does hold up a little better visually than 3 does, if only because generally 2D graphics tend to hold up better to the passage of time than 3D does.

But yes Warcraft 3 with modern HD textures and improved online seems like a good way to print money

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I always wanted to play a full version of Ring Wars, with...seven or nine people per side, I forget what the maximum was.

In fact, if I get cancer, my make-a-wish is definitely going to be that. And everyone would have to do it because cancer.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

How alive is War3 custom multiplayer right now anyway? Wtii churns out videos on an almost daily basis so it can't be completely dead.

I miss the various TD maps.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Wow ring wars that is a nostalgic word since I made it. It will always be my first child from all the time I spent making, refining and playtesting it even if I hadn't revisited it for like 14+ years. It's 6 players per side since the max is 12 players in a game in wc3. Those were the good times when all 12 players were people who played all day every day and knew how to play their roles.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I've been playing Starcraft 2's Arcade recently. It's improved heaps and has alot of maps ported over from or based on Warcraft 3 & Brood War.

Might be worth checking out if Wc3 is too dead. You can play for free too (I haven't tried it though cos I own Sc2): http://us.battle.net/arcade/en/

Warcraft 3 units and models are available in the map editor too now so the maps aren't restricted to space themes. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

How alive is War3 custom multiplayer right now anyway? Wtii churns out videos on an almost daily basis so it can't be completely dead.

I miss the various TD maps.

I've considered reinstalling the game myself to screw around in custom maps, and from what I understand the playerbase is still plenty alive and kicking. There are bots that auto-host a huge amount of popular maps on a cycle so its pretty easy to find a game (especially now that DOTA isn't really played). I also heard that everyone plays on the US-East server now so you need to join that one.