Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Eothas' back, and this time, he's mad! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ega5Rcct2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

im eothas

hi

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

2house2fly posted:

OK it's Eder's pipe and piece of hay, and I don't remember hearing that bit of dialogue in the game. Pillars Of Eternity official soundtrack CD release??

Looks like they might be doing PoE II with character transfer, like BG1 -> BG2. So Eder will presumably be a companion in PoE II as well.

Ambivalent on this.

I like transferring characters/story in theory, but the power curve in PoE was pretty good. You go from being scared of a bear to killing dragons like it ain't no thing and smacking around divine avatars. Like where do you go from there for moment to moment gameplay?

Iffy on power bloat.

quote:

"Oh, adventurers! You've arrived just in time! There are disturbing noises coming from my basement, the baby can barely sleep!"

DM Note: On entering the basement, the players encounter 6 demigorgons, 2 greater beholders, and 9 Priests of the Shrieking God whose chanting has been keeping the baby awake.

Still... bring it on!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hyped for Pillars of Eternity: Tales from the Eastern Reach, a Telltale games story

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fintilgin posted:

Looks like they might be doing PoE II with character transfer, like BG1 -> BG2. So Eder will presumably be a companion in PoE II as well.

Ambivalent on this.

I like transferring characters/story in theory, but the power curve in PoE was pretty good. You go from being scared of a bear to killing dragons like it ain't no thing and smacking around divine avatars. Like where do you go from there for moment to moment gameplay?

Iffy on power bloat.

Still... bring it on!

Eh your weird watcher abilities somehow cause a power downgrade or maybe you get captured and have our levels drained and equipment stolen.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

maybe you get captured and have our levels drained and equipment stolen.

:no:
:no forever:
:stare:

I'd rather have power bloat.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Power bloat ruled in Baldur's Gate/MotB but mostly because I had read Forgotten Realms books throughout my youth and punching out gods I had read about for years was awesome.

I think the PoE universe is still too new for the bloat to have the same emotional impact.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

frajaq posted:

don't disappoint me like Tyranny did please

tyranny was better than pillars

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Power bloat ruled in Baldur's Gate/MotB but mostly because I had read Forgotten Realms books throughout my youth and punching out gods I had read about for years was awesome.

I think the PoE universe is still too new for the bloat to have the same emotional impact.

I think too much power bloat too fast cheapens things. On reflection I think PoE might have sinned a bit in this regard. If you're going to do a series of games with save game import and carry-over characters you probably should have left dragon killing and one-on-one time with Gods for one of the...uh... later games, not shot your load on Game 1 of ?.

Still, I can't deny I'll get not-so-secret glee from being able to carry over my character between games. :shobon:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Ambivalent on this.

Iffy on power bloat.

Eder could show up as a companion in PoE2 without necessarily having character transfer or playing as the Watcher again. He and the Watcher went their separate ways at the end of PoE--who's to say we're not playing as someone new whom Eder ends up teaming up with as well? And he's low level again because it's been like 10 years or something and he's out of practice.

Unless there's some other indication that you carry over between games that I'm missing, of course.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Harrow posted:

Eder could show up as a companion in PoE2 without necessarily having character transfer or playing as the Watcher again. He and the Watcher went their separate ways at the end of PoE--who's to say we're not playing as someone new whom Eder ends up teaming up with as well? And he's low level again because it's been like 10 years or something and he's out of practice.

Unless there's some other indication that you carry over between games that I'm missing, of course.

No, just guessing. I think Josh Sawyer has said it was something they wanted to shoot for, and having Eder carry over as a character makes it more likely we'll have save import, play the same Watcher.

We'll see when they announce it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

He could also be a quest-giver or a recruitement option for your stronghold. There are plenty of ways to tie Eder into the storyline without making him a direct companion.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also please send us far away from that boring country in the first game thanks

also bring back Hiravias and Durance

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kurtofan posted:

yeah

at sucking

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Samuel Clemens posted:

Eder without making him a direct companion.
I would riot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He retired to the Vailian capital city, where he owns a zoo :pray:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
And much to his dismay, he only managed to secure fishes and reptiles, nothing with fur.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If the situation doesn't warrant powerbloat it would be a bit of going back on plans because the intent stated in the original Kickstarter was to position the power curve ahead of a BG and closer to an IWD end or early BG2, but with leaving room to turn into mythical badasses like BG2&TOB for a sequel if demand was there. A lot of people were ready for God rear end Kicking Tour of Eora 2824 after the finale, and even if you aren't out to outright gently caress with the gods the set up is there for the watcher to be a person important enough to continue talking to them throughout a POE2.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
If that quote does represent the writing and themes of Pillars of Eternity 2, I'm excited. Religion and religious longing are great story themes, but I tend to fall asleep when we start hearing about "soul energy," "crystals" or gods-as-superheroes, which is how religion is so often treated in genre fiction of all stripes. I will give it some latitude for introducing the setting, but in Pillars of Eternity souls in some ways felt like Final Fantasy crystals-a poorly developed mystical trope. I'm optimistic that with the second outing they'll be more confident in the setting-and hopefully go through more drafts of the story. Pillars of Eternity definitely felt like a rough draft, again probably because it was a Kickstarter project for a frail company and the first in a series.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Better at being the worst thing I've ever wasted $40 on.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

prometheusbound2 posted:

If that quote does represent the writing and themes of Pillars of Eternity 2, I'm excited. Religion and religious longing are great story themes, but I tend to fall asleep when we start hearing about "soul energy," "crystals" or gods-as-superheroes, which is how religion is so often treated in genre fiction of all stripes. I will give it some latitude for introducing the setting, but in Pillars of Eternity souls in some ways felt like Final Fantasy crystals-a poorly developed mystical trope. I'm optimistic that with the second outing they'll be more confident in the setting-and hopefully go through more drafts of the story. Pillars of Eternity definitely felt like a rough draft, again probably because it was a Kickstarter project for a frail company and the first in a series.

I liked the original story well enough. I feel like the expansions added a lot to flesh things out though in terms of the Gods and their motivations.

My one complaint really is that I think the actual background story of POE1 is more interesting than the one they give you. The Thaos storyline is cool and fine but imagine playing a game where you live out the Eothas events. A God made flesh and a war and a big fuckin' bomb. It's just such a rad backstory. I really wanted to learn more about it or even experience it. It was by far the most interesting storyline for me at least.

But if Poe2 is about Eothas I imagine we'll get more about those events.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
New Vegas had some of that too- the original battle of Hoover Dam was full of epic feats of derring-do, but here you are ferrying tchotchkes around the desert. Same with KOTOR2 actually, though in that case the backstory was largely backstory that was also in KOTOR1

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah. Tyranny had some interesting ideas, but as a game it was pretty average and not worth the asking price.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
PoE developer commentary stream earlier today:

https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian/v/115697112

e: White March at level 6, already good start

e: Josh talks about hey maybe don't delete that PoE1 endgame save cause you might need it later

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 19, 2017

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

Yeah. Tyranny had some interesting ideas, but as a game it was pretty average and not worth the asking price.

I liked Tyranny. The magic system is fun, when you aren't locked away from essentials because you did or didn't do a thing at the start of the game. The story was far, far, far better for a few reasons: I cared more about my main character, my motivations and goals were a lot clearer, I felt like I had an impact depending on the choices I made, alternate routes means I can change what I was doing or more aligned with what I wanted, villains were clearly defined (or at least clearly set up, depending how what you do). The only thing I really disliked is that the game difficulty assumed you had certain spells, and if you didn't it was staggeringly hard. If you did, the game became a series of "buff up, right click to blow up entire groups of baddies".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scorchy posted:

e: Josh talks about hey maybe don't delete that PoE1 endgame save cause you might need it later

I do wonder what exactly is going to carry over. I know I've seen Josh talk about how they want decisions from PoE1 to carry over to 2, but I'm still slightly skeptical that we're going to play as the Watcher again or, if we do, that we'll carry over our levels and powers and stuff. If we play as the Watcher again, there's no way we start out as a superpowered badass who routinely slays dragons.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder if it'll be a a continuation of The White March's conflict with Abydon's personality, only this time with Eothas' rebirth. Goes from peace and love redemption to CLEANSING FIRE!!!! kind of redemption.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope we play as the Watcher and the running joke will be "why does all this crazy poo poo happen to me?!" John McClane kind of thing. By Pillars 4 I better be shooting down dragons with a horse drawn carriage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I hope we play as the Watcher and the running joke will be "why does all this crazy poo poo happen to me?!" John McClane kind of thing. By Pillars 4 I better be shooting down dragons with a horse drawn carriage.

If we do play as the Watcher, then I hope that's how it is, just this constant, "Why am I always at the center of this nonsense?" stuff with increasingly flimsy justifications for starting over at level 1 each time.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Alternatively make it a war between Rauatai and the Aedyr Empire. I want more aumaua in all things I play.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I hope Eder narrates the whole game in an old man voice.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Nasgate posted:

I hope Eder narrates the whole game in an old man voice.

He should narrate it in his Viktor the blackpowder merchant voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao92XkhPzGM

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

If our characters are going to carry over I really hope they include a way to simulate a save file. I don't fancy playing through a hundred hour RPG again just to try out different choices.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I brought this up a while ago, one reason I don't think you'll be able to import the character directly is that your last possible save point is before you fight Thaos - a Tyranny-style "conquest" thing could do the do but world-building wise the final choice the watcher made isn't likely to be something they can accommodate in a sequel

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

agreed.

Basic Chunnel posted:

yeah

at sucking

bongwizzard posted:

you guys can't handle someone spitting the real.

i like both games, though, i just found tyranny to have better writing and a more interesting world. poe was undoubtedly more complete and had better systems but i never felt as involved in the story and found a lot of the writing to be kind of bland.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Neurosis posted:

agreed.

you guys can't handle someone spitting the real.

i like both games, though, i just found tyranny to have better writing and a more interesting world. poe was undoubtedly more complete and had better systems but i never felt as involved in the story and found a lot of the writing to be kind of bland.

Yeah, I liked the mystery and replayabilty of Tyranny's story. I would compliment the aesthetic, but I don't know many Bronze Age fantasy worlds to compare it to. If they make a sequel I would like to see a larger urban environment, maybe whatever the equivalent to Babylon or Persepolis would be.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

There's no obvious hint in the source code, which is a bit disappointing, except for a weird comment that just says "VIII". Can anybody smart venture a guess as to the meaning of 8 in roman numerals?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
With the fall of Woedica and the death of Eothas, there are 9 gods left meddling in mortal affairs. Maybe after PoE2, there will be only 8.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i am very much excited for poe2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Tyranny was a great game but it obviously had different design goals than Pillars of Eternity and was developed by a different team anyhow. I always chuckle at how fragile Basic Chunnel is, though.

• Locked thread