Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Project Zomboid is hard but can be pretty fun (though I haven't played it in many updates).

e: Also it's in early access and the update schedule is best described as 'glacial'.

Also sometimes progress goes backwards when the devs learn the hard way about the benefits of backing up their data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Galick posted:

Anyone got a game recommendation for a game with a really robust character creator? I'm talking primarily visually and clothing-wise, I'm doing this primarily for a D&D game! I already have Dragon's Dogma which will work in a pinch, but I mostly just want some tool where I can make good looking characters to show to people!

Griffin? Is that you?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Black Desert Online. It's an character creator with a subscription fee. You get a free MMO with the subscription too though.

Actually, they say the character creator is free but I can't find it.

I was actually looking into this before I posted and the character creator was free while it was in beta, but not anymore. I'm downloading it with the free trial though - and anyone else have any recommendations? I would just use my copy of Dragon's Dogma, but I don't feel like mucking around and moving save files since it only allows one profile and I haven't beaten it yet to unlock the free appearance changing item. (And the one you can buy only works once, and I used it :( )

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Only things I can think of are Tera and FF14's benchmark thing.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are some good virtual tourism games? Games like shenmue, assassins creed, etc that do a good job of recreating real places and time periods.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nachos posted:

What are some good virtual tourism games? Games like shenmue, assassins creed, etc that do a good job of recreating real places and time periods.

The Yakuza series is brilliant for similar reasons to Shenmue.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

nachos posted:

Hitman takes you all over the world and nails the feel/atmosphere of every location, although they're not directly based on "real" areas (like, the Italian coast town is definitely an Italian coast town, but a fictional one)

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

So anyone have any suggestions for a good short PC game with an interesting plot? I'm thinking something along the lines of "The Beginners Guide" or "Undertale" that can be gotten through in a couple of sittings but has something about it that really stands out and grabs you. An interesting story matters most to me at the moment.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

mrfreeze posted:

So anyone have any suggestions for a good short PC game with an interesting plot? I'm thinking something along the lines of "The Beginners Guide" or "Undertale" that can be gotten through in a couple of sittings but has something about it that really stands out and grabs you. An interesting story matters most to me at the moment.

... gone home?

80 days (~ish)
Gemeni Rue
Last Express

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Life is Strange takes maybe 10-15 hours to get through across five episodes and I was hooked immediately. It's My So-Called Life meets Twin Peaks, if that means anything to you.

The Walking Dead S1 is also amazing if you haven't played that already. I hate most zombie games but it's not really a zombie game.

I hear good stuff about Oxenfree and Kentucky Route Zero but I haven't gotten around to those yet.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Already played Gone Home and Life is Strange and loved both, but will definitely check out the other suggestions!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mrfreeze posted:

Already played Gone Home and Life is Strange and loved both, but will definitely check out the other suggestions!

Tales from the Borderlands has almost nothing to do with Borderlands but everything to do with it being my GOTY 2016.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

exquisite tea posted:

Life is Strange takes maybe 10-15 hours to get through across five episodes and I was hooked immediately. It's My So-Called Life meets Twin Peaks, if that means anything to you.

The Walking Dead S1 is also amazing if you haven't played that already. I hate most zombie games but it's not really a zombie game.

I hear good stuff about Oxenfree and Kentucky Route Zero but I haven't gotten around to those yet.

Kentucky Route Zero is great, but they haven't finished all the episodes yet in case you (like me) don't like episodic games where you can't play them all straight through.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

nachos posted:

The Division is pretty good at showing you 2018 Trump's New York City

They had to use smallpox as a 'realistic' framing device but we all know what's really going on ;)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

gohuskies posted:

Kentucky Route Zero is great, but they haven't finished all the episodes yet in case you (like me) don't like episodic games where you can't play them all straight through.

That's probably what has kept me from playing it up to this point. I started Life is Strange when Episode 3 was just released and it was torture waiting for the last two episodes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Interested in suggestions for a turn-based strategy game suitable for multiplayer with friends. Bonus points if you can run a server that will happily process turns at any time.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Interested in suggestions for a turn-based strategy game suitable for multiplayer with friends. Bonus points if you can run a server that will happily process turns at any time.

Age of Wonders III is an excellent game with asynchronous multi-player support. It's a good game on its own, but if you're looking at the DLC, the second expansion is much more, uh, expansive than the first.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Dominions 4 :unsmigghh:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

mrfreeze posted:

Oxenfree
Primordia (Wadjet Eye games are uneven in quality, but this one was fun)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

mrfreeze posted:

I would recommend SUPERHOT for its gameplay first, but I found the story compelling, if minimalistic. It's only a couple hours long. Might not be exactly what you're looking for.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I've been playing Earthtongue which is a little ecosystem simulation sandbox game and I wonder if there are any other games like that.

I also liked Cell Lab and Waking Mars a lot. I could give SimLife or SimEarth a try but most reviews claim they really are chore to play so if there's anything better that would be great.

Spore is obviously not what I'm looking after.

Terminus
May 6, 2008

mrfreeze posted:

You might like The Fall if you're into AI and Three Laws of Robotics type stories. :10bux: on Steam and took me about 5 hours to beat.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Terminus posted:

You might like The Fall if you're into AI and Three Laws of Robotics type stories. :10bux: on Steam and took me about 5 hours to beat.

The Fall also REALLY needs a walkthrough for the second act when it just full-scale apes Portal but instead of logic, you have to use adventure-game-logic to solve some of the puzzles.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fat Samurai posted:

Dominions 4 :unsmigghh:

This and Solium Infernum.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Terminus posted:

I disagree: the Fall has a cool premise, but the writing falls down in incredibly contrived ways, culminating in sections where you're doing full adventure game "rub thing against other thing" because nothing makes sense.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

This and Solium Infernum.

isn't Solium's multiplayer setup incredibly convoluted and annoying to deal with each turn?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

StrixNebulosa posted:

I disagree: the Fall has a cool premise, but the writing falls down in incredibly contrived ways, culminating in sections where you're doing full adventure game "rub thing against other thing" because nothing makes sense.

I love how every single thing in the game has a 'interface' action, all every single one of them (with MAYBE 3 exceptions gamewide) says 'no, it's broken'.
I'm 90% sure two of the things you need to interface with say 'this looks like a broken _____' when investigated.

Puzzle: A cardboard "baby" is crying. You are an armed war machine in a hurry. Make the baby stop crying. (Your robo-voice isn't comforting enough)
Hint: "How would a war machine stop a baby from crying?"
Solution: Break the pneumatic pipe over the bed (not with your gun, obv) so the baby gets sucked in and blown away

Puzzle: Help a cardboard 'old lady' across a 'street'. The track she is on jams halfway down. A camera at the far end of the street is a simple pass/fail for if the 'lady' makes it.
My first thought: Rip her off at the knees and carry her across. Nah.
Solution: Overload the track via generator two rooms away so that the track goes too fast and jams... so you have to rip her off at the knees and carry her across :byodood:

I hate that game.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
drat, didn't realise people had such strong feeling on that one. Consider my recommendation scaled back to tentative. I haven't played it in a while and I may have forgotten some of the rougher edges.

Otherwise maybe Firewatch? Without giving too much away you end up working at a firewatch tower during the course of a single summer and so you mostly walk around in nature talking to the only other person for miles on a walkie talkie. No sci-fi, no fantasy, nothing super crazy happens but there is a mystery to figure out and I thought the dialog was well done.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

double nine posted:

isn't Solium's multiplayer setup incredibly convoluted and annoying to deal with each turn?

Send one file, get one file, IIRC. The person running the turns may have to do a couple extra steps.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

mrfreeze posted:

It's a little on the longer side and it's also very puzzle-y, so I don't know how useful it is, but I'll take any opportunity to recommend The Talos Principle has good writing + story + worldbuilding and is a fantastic game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I loved The Fall, but granted mostly for it's dialogue. I don't really play adventure games and it didn't register as one for me, and if memory serves, i only ever got stuck on one of the puzzles to the degree that i had to look it up. (It had something to do with wire, i think)

They really kinda nailed that tone of "AIs arguing with each other" in that game.

edit: i might replay it soon, actually. I thought there was supposed to be a sequel coming out, but it seems that's fallen through

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 21, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any strategy/4X games out there with interesting AI opponents? I don't necessarily mean "good", but like, with distinct personalities/strategies, rather than all of them just kind of following the same routine every time?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are there any strategy/4X games out there with interesting AI opponents? I don't necessarily mean "good", but like, with distinct personalities/strategies, rather than all of them just kind of following the same routine every time?

https://arcengames.com/ai-war/

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Have you tried Paradox games?
Europa Universalis 4 and Crusader Kings 2 in particular?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Civ V?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Distant Worlds: Universe, though it's kind of a bear to get into.

Terminus
May 6, 2008

Endless Legend might work well for you. I just picked it up on sale earlier this week so I'm not sure how good the AI is, but the factions each have strengths and weaknesses that the AI would have to play around. Like one faction has control over the global marketplace and can even ban players from it, but they can't go to war directly with their enemies. On the other end the zombie type faction can't make peace with anyone ever, but their main resource is food which they can get from defeating enemies.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ShiroTheSniper posted:

How's EU4? Never played the EU series. I played Hearts of Iron 3 & 4 and CK2.

EU4 owns, play it now.

Mr. Dragoon
May 7, 2008
I'm looking for a online co-op game for a friend of mine to play with me. He wants either a Turn Based Strategy or a RTS where we can work as a team with no PvP elements. Or a open world survival game in 3D that has a objective or goal. "Like Terriaria in 3D"

Edit: For PC

Mr. Dragoon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 is built for co-op play, though you have to set up a third party solution of some kind to play online now since the original servers were via Gamespy. I think most 4X games support teamplay (Civilization certainly does), but you'd also need to be cool with the time investment those tend to require.