Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I still watch 'Allo 'Allo every day this is poo poo.

My most heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
It was the same gags done in a slightly different order and the plot never went anywhere, but it was acted so sincerely I couldn't help but love 'Allo 'Allo. Plus, Vicki Michelle was my first boyhood crush

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a HD free view box?

My mum has a an older 1080p HD tv which works great but doesn't have a built in free view box. All the reviews talk about recording features and catch up tv which she isn't interested in, just something which is fast and reliable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The misogyny thing with the new Ghostbusters was largely a red herring perpetuated by a studio and producers who knew that their product was a cinematic mouthful of smegma. The backlash was because the public could see what it was and didn't want to eat it.

I don't know how anyone can say this and believe it. The hate directed at Ghostbusters was pretty huge.

I enjoyed the film because it felt like the Ghostbusters cartoon but deliberately getting the film talked about as "a poo poo remake with women instead of men" isn't good publicity at all.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Taear posted:

I don't know how anyone can say this and believe it. The hate directed at Ghostbusters was pretty huge.

I enjoyed the film because it felt like the Ghostbusters cartoon but deliberately getting the film talked about as "a poo poo remake with women instead of men" isn't good publicity at all.

when I saw the film, I had exactly the same thoughts about it feeling more like the 80s cartoon than the movies which is no bad thing as I loved that cartoon and it still holds up now. Well, the JMS episodes do anyway. Even "Chicken, He Clucked"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

when I saw the film, I had exactly the same thoughts about it feeling more like the 80s cartoon than the movies which is no bad thing as I loved that cartoon and it still holds up now. Well, the JMS episodes do anyway. Even "Chicken, He Clucked"

The cartoon had a real lovecraft feel to it with all the ancient stuff that might destroy the world and things like that. There's a big part of me that wonders why Netflix hasn't done a series that's at least vaguely similar.

The episodes where the Ghostbusters visit the Bermuda Triangle and float in a weird void, the one where a door won't open UNTIL DOOMSDAY or the one where New York's on some enormous pillar that slowly turns are all really strange concepts!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Taear posted:

I meant that they deliberately redirected the narrative of why it was getting such a hostile reception as a calculated and cynical piece of publicity handling. They showed a trailer for the remake/reboot of a classic film, and most people who saw it reacted to what they perceived as a completely unnecessary and atrociously bad looking misuse of a beloved IP. Some people didn't like the gender swap of the main cast because they thought it was an odd gimmick and that a mixed cast would be more natural. Some because the trailer made it look like as well as switching genders the role of the secretary was being changed to a classic bimbo which in itself is as archaic as it is sexist, And some people just plain hate women.
Here's the thing though. Criticism revolving around gender was way, way in the background of the huge chorus screaming "this looks like poo poo, this isn't funny".

By making the story about how this plucky little $375,000,000 (including ad budget) underdog was being bullied by women hating thugs they took the focus off the fact that their film looked like a huge pile of shite and instead made the coverage about fringe nutters. And at the same time built in a strong defence against actual criticism and the inevitable failure of a film that did not manage to cash in on the goodwill its IP carried.

Personally I don't know for sure if Ghostbusters 2016 is good or not, because every trailer I saw made it look like a load of poorly made cynical poo poo that I never want to sit through under any circumstance, let alone pay for. By the logic of the Ghostbusters 2016 publicity campaign, this means I hate women.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 24, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Here's the thing though. Criticism revolving around gender was way, way in the background of the huge chorus screaming "this looks like poo poo, this isn't funny".

I really have to disagree with this. From everything I saw this honestly just.....wasn't the case.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
So you believe that the first trailer became the most downvoted trailer in the history of Youtube based purely on men who hate women?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ghost busters 2016 has a hilarious running joke where it looks like they're going to dive into directly quoting the original (he draws the logo, it's crap! she fluffs the famous line! they can't afford the first at ion! ) but then swerves away at the last minute. They even bring back the original cast to say how dumb they are, and it's brilliant, like they're poking fun at remakes

Then they give up being clever and just remake it properly, and it's poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

So you believe that the first trailer became the most downvoted trailer in the history of Youtube based purely on men who hate women?

Actually, when I wrote this I forgot that Sony were deleting general criticisms in the trailer comments while leaving the misogynist stuff in. Definitely not something you would do if you were creating a narrative where the only reason people don't like your trailer is because they hate women.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The sexism against GB2016 was real, and loud, and loving terrible, but it is true that Sony then steered into that sexism in an attempt to delegitimise the reasonable criticisms of the film - especially the first trailer, which was bloody awful (and kind of racist).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ Baaically this. Don't get me wrong, that first trailer IS horrible. But the sexism stuff was absolutely loving everywhere. It was so prevalent.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was, but it's worth considering how much of that was fed by Sony, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the film didn't become a cause célčbre in Trumptown until after Sony made sure everyone knew who to blame for the downvotes. I mean Jesus Christ, I mentioned off-site a little while I ago that I had seen my first positive word of mouth for the film and was immediately met with a hostile "if you don't like it either you like the original too much or there's something wrong with you."

That is some effective and pernicious propaganda Sony were doing.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 24, 2017

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
Who has been watching the current season of Endeavor?
Whats your theories on those tarot cards at the end of each episode?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Everyone is right about Ghostbusters. Both LJS and.... everybody else. There were a lot of misogynists involved in the hate campaign against it AND Sony started a campaign of playing up the misogynists so that they appeared a even larger group in order to get sympathy points. There was an issue. Sony decided to make the issue bigger and brought it to prominence as a cynical marketing tool.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
gently caress you, you made Paul Blart Mall Cop.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Dud, not kewl

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I think the type of people who vote on YouTube videos are the type of people who would react poorly to a female Ghostbusters.

Looking into the 'Sony deleted comments' claims, it's dubious at best. Yes they deleted negative comments. Reports from the day are full of claims that someone's poo poo talking has been deleted. But this claim that they're twisting the narrative by deleting positive comments as well doesn't really fly. Nor does the claim that Sony really led it in anyway. Let's check out these incendiary comments from the head of Sony.

quote:

Everybody says I'm making the female Ghostbusters, but I say, 'No, we're making the funny Ghostbusters.' Yes, it happens to be four women. It's original. You get pissing and moaning on the Internet — sexist comments – but, you know, gently caress 'em.

Hardly unreasonable. Yes Sony used negative reactions from mysoginists to their advantage. But that's just good marketing. What hurt them in the long run was that the movie was poo poo (though better than Ghostbusters 2).

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I don't understand, the movie was actually pretty good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed it personally, yeah. Not amazing, but I laughed a bunch. but obv that's not really relevant to the discussion

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Gordon Kay dies and you fuckers are talking about lovely American movies.

In the UK television thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
well yeah british tv sucks??

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Dead Goon posted:

Gordon Kay dies and you fuckers are talking about lovely American movies.

In the UK television thread.

Allo Allo was embarrassing poo poo and the idea that the cast kept doing it in panto after the BBC axed it is depressing. The tree was a sign to do something else with your life!

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

SEX BURRITO posted:

The absolute raft of poo poo articles and stupid social media arguments it'd cause would be tedious as hell. It's bad enough for any new actor becoming doctor who and facing the army of nerds. Imagine the crap a woman would face if she took the role.

My mate told me there could never be a black Dr Who cuz in an older episode, that Dr Who was like 'we don't have black people in space'

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Padje posted:

My mate told me there could never be a black Dr Who cuz in an older episode, that Dr Who was like 'we don't have black people in space'

Uhhh... NewWho has broken ClassicWho rules so many times. Either they found a solution to keep the angry middle aged nerdy men happy or they just flat out ignore it and do their own thing any way. Hack, the Doctor is suppose to due after this current one, but they did some "creative writing" and now the doctor is pretty much God.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Allo Allo was embarrassing poo poo and the idea that the cast kept doing it in panto after the BBC axed it is depressing. The tree was a sign to do something else with your life!

On this we can definitely agree. I feel like Allo Allo is one of those shows which is very "of the time" and most people before or after that paticular one snapshot of age/place don't give a poo poo about it.
Like Friends.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It's Gorden not Gordon. If it helps, his name is an anagram of "donkey rage" and "orange dyke".

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Taear posted:

On this we can definitely agree. I feel like Allo Allo is one of those shows which is very "of the time" and most people before or after that paticular one snapshot of age/place don't give a poo poo about it.
Like Friends.

Hearing the theme tune always gives me a tinge of nostalgia. But otherwise, yeah, it was a bit of an embarassment by today's standards. Unless you like to hear almost swear words in a comedy french accent.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Allo Allo is the one of the few classic BBC sitcoms I was never really able to get into when I went through a phase of being super into them when I was a teenager.

It's my mum and dad's favourite, though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just got round to watching the Sherlock finale. It's laughably bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Whenever his wife Edith catches him in the arms of another woman, René invariably responds with the phrase "You stupid woman! Can you not see that..." followed by a convoluted explanation, which Edith always believes, leading to an apology from her.

sounds uh.....great

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lol edgey

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Allo Allo is the one of the few classic BBC sitcoms I was never really able to get into when I went through a phase of being super into them when I was a teenager.

Yes Minister is the one that really grew on me.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

'Allo 'Allo is really dated garbage. However, I only watched it once: binge watched with a French housemate who hated france over a few bottles of cognac. It has a weird but beautiful place in my heart.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Does 4od work really badly for anyone else? Picture quality drops every few minutes to something barely watchable.
Have a fibre connection and every other streaming/catchup service works flawlessly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

bitterandtwisted posted:

Does 4od work really badly for anyone else? Picture quality drops every few minutes to something barely watchable.
Have a fibre connection and every other streaming/catchup service works flawlessly.

On PC or some other device?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

On PC or some other device?

PC.
Honestly, all I've been watching is trashy Gordon Ramsay shows so just wanted to confirm this wasn't par for the course for 4od before I put effort in to troubleshooting.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Kaye was great in his small role in Brazil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

He had an awesome role in Last of the Summer Wine if I recall correctly; something involving a donkey.