Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

edit2: confirmed that Kisenosato's style will be unryu. The YDC meeting apparently lasted only about 10 minutes. The justification they used for promotion (for those who need more justification) is to point at the winning percentage of the 6 basho before promotion. Under that measure, Kisenosato looks better than pretty much every other recent yokozuna.

It just occurred to me that I'm going to be watching my first "live" Japanese yokozuna dohyo iri. Takanohana had already retired long before I started watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

It is now officially official. The sumo association just completed that ceremony where messengers were sent to inform Kisenosato and his oyakata of the promotion and Kisenosato accepts (in front of a crapton of TV cameras and flash photography, of course which ruins the ritual a little bit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftkRzMLwxQ4

Rigel fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 25, 2017

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Rigel posted:

It is now officially official. The sumo association just completed that ceremony where messengers were sent to inform Kisenosato and his oyakata of the promotion and Kisenosato accepts (in front of a crapton of TV cameras and flash photography, of course which ruins the ritual a little bit).
I thought, "Ok, that's a little annoying, but I don't see how a lot of cameras and flashes could be... oh. Oh."

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Revenant Threshold posted:

I thought, "Ok, that's a little annoying, but I don't see how a lot of cameras and flashes could be... oh. Oh."

The Japanese put the paparazzi to shame both with quantity of cameras/flashes and with respecting boundaries. Looks like a goddamn MMO boss fight when those flashes start going off.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The flashes are crazy during bouts too, which I don't understand. I know it looks way dark on TV but the whole arena is really well lit, and then the dohyo is about as bright as the surface of the sun.

And the photographers are all right there so fast glass should be OK...

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Saw this in the related videos and never realized how much I needed a Rikishi travel show starring Ikioi and Takekaze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-5uw-XjhZk

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Ikioi's fear of snakes is both hilarious and endearing. Also, I need more of this in my life.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I missed the live stream on niconico because my selfish wife was booked in for a stupid massage which I had to drive her to, but someone on sumoforums had the foresight to record (or steal a recording) of the TV coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGaCrwYPfzc

Fluffs the lead in to the final shiko, but pretty good on the whole considering.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

who is the guy in the glasses on the left

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kisenosato's first dohyo-iri was pretty rough, but he just started learning it yesterday so he'll get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGaCrwYPfzc

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
When was the last time there were four active yokozuna?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Early 2000 I think with Takanohana, Wakanohana, Akebono and Musashimaru

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Man, I started watching sumo around the time commentators were marveling over Akebono being the first foreign yokozuna.

And now the storyline is all about the first Japanese yokozuna in years. I suddenly feel old.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

And on a different note, I just found Hokutofuji on twitter. Oh, the sights we have to show you...

https://twitter.com/hokutofujidaiki/status/803127114333495297

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

And on a different note, I just found Hokutofuji on twitter. Oh, the sights we have to show you...

https://twitter.com/hokutofujidaiki/status/803127114333495297

Goddamn, pure gold.

If there was anything to ever motivate me to revamp the OP, it would be to put a list of rikishi twitter accounts. Has anyone gathered up a repository of them, or know if there's one floating out there?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I could list the ones I have on my twitter account - its a mix of rikishi, a bunch of the lower division dudes, a few yobidashi and a gyoji (I think).

There's a few guys on Instagram too (Takanoiwa, for one), but I've haven't dug that deeply there yet.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Apparently Tokitenkuu (Mongolian who did all the leg kicks) just died. He was only 36 years old. I believe he had a kind of lymphoma that was very beatable, but it must have turned into something else. Very sad... same age as me.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Elissimpark posted:

I could list the ones I have on my twitter account - its a mix of rikishi, a bunch of the lower division dudes, a few yobidashi and a gyoji (I think).

There's a few guys on Instagram too (Takanoiwa, for one), but I've haven't dug that deeply there yet.

Girlfriend followed some rikishi on twitter and a makuuchi guy (who will remain nameless) that she hadn't followed, followed her and DM'd her.
Slightly surreal.

Fryhtaning posted:

Apparently Tokitenkuu (Mongolian who did all the leg kicks) just died. He was only 36 years old. I believe he had a kind of lymphoma that was very beatable, but it must have turned into something else. Very sad... same age as me.

RIP :(

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Fryhtaning posted:

gently caress, this really sucks. Tokitenku owned, I'm really going to miss all his rad leg trips.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

Balls. I was sad he when he went intai, but I thought that at least he was oyakata and could stay in the sumo world and teach some newbie to susaharai or something. Welp.

Uncle Jam posted:

Girlfriend followed some rikishi on twitter and a makuuchi guy (who will remain nameless) that she hadn't followed, followed her and DM'd her.
Slightly surreal.

Weird. I can't say I've had that happen.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

a makuuchi guy (who will remain nameless) that she hadn't followed, followed her and DM'd her.

What. Why. Spill it. Not like we're working for gossip rags or anything.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sGvbX4cFOw

:unsmith:

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
I'm taking a trip to Japan, and just got tickets for Day 15 of the March tournament! I'm really excited for this! I used to watch sumo on ESPN when I was younger and always found it fascinating, but haven't kept up with it. I need to catch up...

Any tips/must-knows for this tournament and for a first-timer in general?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mobius posted:

I'm taking a trip to Japan, and just got tickets for Day 15 of the March tournament! I'm really excited for this! I used to watch sumo on ESPN when I was younger and always found it fascinating, but haven't kept up with it. I need to catch up...

I did the same thing and had a blast.

In case you didn't know, the matches start with the lowest levels and work their way up to the top division. So, you can make it an all day thing, if you want. Day 15 is the last day so it should be particularly rocking if the competition to win the tournament is close.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I'm also traveling to Japan in March and just got tickets for Day 14. Been watching sumo for ~2 years, thanks to this thread--I'm super excited.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Mobius posted:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx is a good resource for stats of all kinds and will be updated throughout the tournament so you can see what the various wrestler's scores are going into the final day. Most people in this thread follow the sport through highlights posted on youtube, which are embedded here as they are uploaded.

Some names to listen out for:

Kisenosato - just got promoted to the top rank "Yokozuna", the first time a Japanese person has been at the top rank in 19 years.
Hakuho - Mongolian Yokozuna, in terms of his record the greatest of all time, certainly the best wrestler out there most of the time. He's recently slipped a bit and has only been extremely dominant rather than totally crushing everyone.
The other two Yokozuna are also Mongolians: Kakuryu and Harumafuji, both of whom left the last tournament injured and may be close to retiring if they can't get fit soon.

At the next rank down "Ozeki" we have Goeido and Terunofuji, both of whom have struggled recently to get winning records consistently. If Terunofuji does not manage 8 or more wins this tournament he will be relegated from Ozeki rank, like Kotoshogiku has just been for having a losing record twice in a row at Ozeki. Kotoshogiku can be promoted back to Ozeki if he manages 10 or more wins this tournament, otherwise he will have a harder job being promoted back.

Outside of the big names there are the up-and-comers Shodai and Mitakeumi. Look out for Hokutofuji as well. Ishiura is noticeably smaller than the other guys but is very wily and should be fun to watch. Ura has just been promoted from the next division down and looks very impressive (and wears a distinctive pink loincloth). He may have chosen a new ring name by the time the banzuke is announced. Yoshikaze and Sokokurai are often involved in exciting bouts, Endo is the overwhelming crowd favourite for reasons known only to the Japanese.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Part of it is that he was expected to be the next great talent, but tore his ACL a while back, and elected to tough it out rather than get reconstructive surgery. Apparently this decision got him a lot of fans, even though he probably won't ever contend for the higher ranks while wrestling with one functional knee.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Try to print out the day's torikumi in Japanese and English -on the same page- lined up correctly. You'll get a paper one in English and Japanese but it will be separate.
The only score board there is this thing:

So it is worth while to have a cheat sheet to understand who is coming up next. The current match will have both red lights lit up above and below.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

The current match will have both red lights lit up above and below.

And then the loser's light goes out - two men enter, one man leaves, Japanese style :getin:

Mobius posted:

Go for the full day, watch the size of the rikishi slowly increase by the hour, and pace yourself with the sake - things go juuust a tad slower in the live event than they do in the videos. Also, I don't know if the rules have changed, but you can bring in your own food/drink so you don't have to live off of concession food all day.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I've never done it, but supposedly you can rent a radio that lets you listen to the English NHK commentators in the stadium.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Fryhtaning posted:

And then the loser's light goes out - two men enter, one man leaves, Japanese style :getin:

Go for the full day, watch the size of the rikishi slowly increase by the hour, and pace yourself with the sake - things go juuust a tad slower in the live event than they do in the videos. Also, I don't know if the rules have changed, but you can bring in your own food/drink so you don't have to live off of concession food all day.

I'm debating whether I want to do a full day... I love the idea, but I'll be going on my own, so I'm worried it might get a little dull. Does anyone know if they allow readmission if I want to leave and come back? What time do the top divisions usually start?

hot date tonight! posted:

I've never done it, but supposedly you can rent a radio that lets you listen to the English NHK commentators in the stadium.

Oh nice, that sounds like a must.

This is great, thanks! I've been watching YouTube highlights, I definitely like Ishiura. Dude's small, but jacked. It's amazing seeing him push around guys 100 lbs heavier.

Mobius fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 15, 2017

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don't know if the rules are any different in Osaka but in Tokyo there's a sign when you enter the Kokugikan that says you can't bring food and drink from the outside in. Of course this is completely ignored by many as last time I and my friends went in the gates, got our banzuke sheet for the day, and got our tickets ripped all with beers in our hands. They don't check bags so if you're worried at all just put stuff in your bag.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Juryo starts maybe around 230-300pm? Then makuuchi starts at 4 and goes to 6.
I think all day would be pretty tough to do, between the seating and the temperature. Between 2pm and 330 the makuuchi guys start showing up and when I went to Osaka they used the same entrance as spectators, so its pretty cool to take in the excitement there, and the entrance is generally where most people are at that time. There are also a bunch of shop stalls selling things like tegata there.

If you enter the arena later on past 230 to take your seat there will be volunteer students acting as ushers so if they come up to you just show your ticket and they'll take you there. When I went there was no translation for signs pointing to the N/S/W/E side of the arena.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Juryo starts maybe around 230-300pm? Then makuuchi starts at 4 and goes to 6.
I think all day would be pretty tough to do, between the seating and the temperature. Between 2pm and 330 the makuuchi guys start showing up and when I went to Osaka they used the same entrance as spectators, so its pretty cool to take in the excitement there, and the entrance is generally where most people are at that time. There are also a bunch of shop stalls selling things like tegata there.

If you enter the arena later on past 230 to take your seat there will be volunteer students acting as ushers so if they come up to you just show your ticket and they'll take you there. When I went there was no translation for signs pointing to the N/S/W/E side of the arena.

Does it get that hot in there? My only basho was Fukuoka in November, so that's about as mild as weather comes out there. I would think March would be fairly nice weather though, maybe rainy. What was nice about going early was having plenty of time to walk around and see everything else going on in the building. Of course it's fun to watch some makushita and jonokuchi bouts too.

The sign translations are a good point. It's a good idea to learn as much basic Japanese as possible anyway, but it'd be good to take a cheat sheet with you for basic terminology as well as the names of the rikishi. From a distance you may have a hard time telling who is who, and the English names will likely only be on the programs they hand out. I remember we actually got a gaijin-guide to sumo as we walked in - thanks racial profiling!

e.g.
北 north
南 south
西 west
東 east
白鳳 Hakuho
稀勢の里 Kisenosato

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Be aware that "east" and "west" in regards to the dohyo are not the same as the cardinal points. Rikishi from the "east" will be on the left when you face "north", not the right.

(on TV, it doesn't matter, cos everyone's names get flashed on the screen, but when you're watching with the torikumi in your hands, it can be confusing.)

Also, make sure you take the most important photo:

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 15, 2017

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

"Kintamayama" posted:

Another Yokozuna Kisenosato story:

Back in August 2008, the Mongolian jungyo was held in Mongolia. A formal dinner was held where all the rikishi drank and were merry. the 22 year old Komusubi Kisenosato was cracking everyone up with his imitation of pro-wrestler Keiji Mutou. then everyone started chanting "Drink!! Drink!!", so he had no chance but to drink. At around the end of the banquet, he ran into Yokozuna Asashouryuu. The totally plastered Kisenosato leaned on him, crying. "Yokozuna, I am pathetic.. I am really weak.. I'm useless.." he lamented. The surprised Asashouryuu attempted to pacify him, putting his arm around him. "Come on, you are strong. From here on you have to lead the Japanese rikishi. Gambarize!" he cheered. "Bawww.." Kisenosato answered, still crying. (The same year, Kisenosato got his first kinboshi off Asashouryuu and actually beat him twice .)

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/img/bt-sumo-kise-kc20170212-w500_0.jpg

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Please be a true story, because lmao.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Kintamayama likes to joke but this seems oddly specific. That plus the picture makes me choose to believe it. I have never been silent about my Kise hate but I'll break character for a moment and say it is a great story and basically all rikishi are decent (until they become oyakata and start beating people with metal baseball bats). Even Asashoryu comes out of the story seeming like a softy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

If Kisenosato is an Asashoryu fan, I might be forced to like him. Hakuho might be the GOAT, but Asashoryu has always been my fave.