Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Raxivace posted:

Both Laura Palmer figures seem a little tasteless to me.

Who doesn't want an iconic corpse of a young girl on their shelf?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just a heads up to any Canadian fans here, CraveTV will be showing season 3 as it airs on their service, in case you don't have Showtime.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SaviourX posted:

Who doesn't want an iconic corpse of a young girl on their shelf?!

Personally, I'm still waiting for the Maddie in a golf bag action figure.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

And More posted:

Personally, I'm still waiting for the Maddie in a golf bag action figure.

Only available in Missoula, Montana.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I finally decided to starting watching Twin Peaks myself, after putting it off for way too long.

Just finished the pilot. I liked it. I think I'm going to enjoy this ride.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Oh my sweet summer child.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wish I could go back and relive what it was like to hate James and his stupid loving bike for the very first time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For all his flaws James, despite being James, was the only resident character of the town who had enough sense to get out of Dodge as poo poo was going south. That's gotta be worth something.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wish I could go back and relive what it was like to hate James and his stupid loving bike for the very first time.

I don't think I really truly turned on him until that god awful singing bit with him Maddie and Donna. Before that I just hated his weird bony face. After I wished he would die.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

His song rules, James is a fun idiot. His plot just becomes unbearable during his roadtrip, in large part due to everyone he meets being a trash character.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Any time I see you guys talking about James, I have to go and watch clips from A Few Good Men. No reason other than he was in it, and it was awesome.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC James also voices a character in some random JRPG.

I know Sheryl Lee is in BioShock 2 of all things.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Season 1 Leo is loving fantastic also.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
James just loves to gently caress

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Consummate Professional posted:

James just loves to gently caress

I hope he transforms into Bill Pullman suddenly in the new one with no explanation whatsoever

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I hope he transforms into Bill Pullman suddenly in the new one with no explanation whatsoever

That goddamned blue light! :argh:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

James is a giant headed mutant with a rectangle head and no redeeming qualities.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season 1 really was fantastic. If the next season is that quality again I'll be ecstatic. Has Lynch said this is gonna be it? Like is this just a one last season to finish the story?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 1 really was fantastic. If the next season is that quality again I'll be ecstatic. Has Lynch said this is gonna be it? Like is this just a one last season to finish the story?
I know Showtime has said as much. 18 episodes, and no additional seasons.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

EmmyOk posted:

James is a giant headed mutant with a rectangle head and no redeeming qualities.

If anyone in the 90's needed 90's heartthrob bangs, it was James Hurley. That forehead is an entire warehouse of empty real estate, and that cropped, rigid look was doing no favors.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good news everyone, Riverdale premiered on the CW to tide us over until May.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

sector_corrector posted:

Good news everyone, Riverdale premiered on the CW to tide us over until May.

That show is like a de-parodied version of James' side story. Just all the soap scenes strung together with no weirdness in between. Also, it assumes for some reason that I know Archie, and I just don't.

Mädchen Amick is great, though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Xealot posted:

If anyone in the 90's needed 90's heartthrob bangs, it was James Hurley. That forehead is an entire warehouse of empty real estate, and that cropped, rigid look was doing no favors.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I watched Season One a looonnggg time ago, but never got far into season two. I don't remember much, other than thinking S1 was pretty much perfect, so I've decided to watch it all in the lead up to the release of Season 3. So far I've just watched the first episode, but gently caress, this is such a great show.

Though James is absolutely the worst.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

Though James is absolutely the worst.

His acting is more wooden than Josie's last scene!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I watched it through again in anticipation of the new season for about the 6th time or so and for whatever reason it's only just sinking in just how lovely of a person Donna is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh, Donna is the worst. She can't even play the piano like her awesome sister and manages to be the most immature and naïve of all the immature and naïve teenagers in the show.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I mean, she's in love with James, so...

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The FWWM Donna is cool, though. She's the perfect innocent Lynchian protagonist who follows Laura into a world of unimaginable darkness but is saved from falling into the void completely.

The television show Donna, who obviously should have been one of the major vehicles to understanding Laura and her death, often seemed a bit disconnected from that main mystery because it was always filtered through her puzzling, dead-endish and chemistry-lacking attraction to James. The picnic on the mountain video scene is still amazing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Always appropriate.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Netflix just added Mulholland Drive, which was originally written as a spinoff to Twin Peaks (it was going to be Audrey's story after the town), but had to be rewritten after CBS royally hosed Lynch over. Showtime is running Firewalk With Me, too, if you want to make a double feature of David Lynch saying "gently caress Hollywood, and gently caress TV too."

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
God drat it I just bought that on iTunes because it wasn't streaming

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Consummate Professional posted:

God drat it I just bought that on iTunes because it wasn't streaming

I can't remember if it's been on streaming before or not. I really want them to get Wild At Heart.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mulholland Dr. makes a strong case for best movie ever made tbh

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mulholland Drive is definitely in my top 3 favourite films ever.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

gently caress that. Nothing beats Blue Velvet, you gently caress.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Escobarbarian posted:

Seconded. The day that I finally got my hands on the Criterion Collection was a beautiful day.

I'm also going to take this opportunity to link y'all to what I believe is the definitive modern writing on Mulholland Dr. - Film Crit Hulk Smash: Hulk vs. The Genius of Mulholland Dr.

He does a true deep dive into the narrative and symbolism at play throughout the entire movie, mostly scene by scene and sometimes shot by shot. This article really opened up my understanding of the film in a way that I never really thought was possible. I will warn y'all though, it is very long - the article's length almost warrants a simultaneous watch of the film on its own - but I think that's a testament to how detailed it is.

Look, I know not everyone is a fan of Film Crit Hulk. I think the gimmick is shallow and makes his writing inaccessible to a whole shitload of people. But that article is, I think, the best thing he's ever written and I highly recommend giving it a chance.

The Clap fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 3, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed on all cases. It's an excellent article. I kinda want him to go back and de-Hulk so many of his old articles.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Clap posted:

Seconded. The day that I finally got my hands on the Criterion Collection was a beautiful day.

I'm also going to take this opportunity to link y'all to what I believe is the definitive modern writing on Mulholland Dr. - Film Crit Hulk Smash: Hulk vs. The Genius of Mulholland Dr.

He does a true deep dive into the narrative and symbolism at play throughout the entire movie, mostly scene by scene and sometimes shot by shot. This article really opened up my understanding of the film in a way that I never really thought was possible. I will warn y'all though, it is very long - the article's length almost warrants a simultaneous watch of the film on its own - but I think the article's length is a testament to how detailed it is.

Look, I know not everyone is a fan of Film Crit Hulk. I think the gimmick is shallow and makes his writing inaccessible to a whole shitload of people. But that article is, I think, the best thing he's ever written and I highly recommend giving it a chance.

That writeup is really good and actually helped me think about Lynch's work in a new way. He's one of my favorite directors but I've always enjoyed his work more on the gut surreal level. I have a degree in writing and literary analysis but I'm so loathe to pick apart things I like (I'm often accused of "ruining" movies and shows by questioning/pointing out inconsistent behavior by characters). It might be worth taking a spin back through my collection and trying to digest this stuff in a deliberate way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

When does the show start to pick up again after the main plot is resolved? I watched the 23rd (I think?) episode and it was the absolute worst. Everything seemed off: the actors seemed to be playing different characters, the dialog was largely meaningless, the "humor" was reduced to cheap gags that were unfunny and went on for way too long, and the resolution to James' road-trip plot was just the dumbest loving thing, dumb as it already had gotten up to that point.

Also Madchen Amick and Peggy Lipton polished a giant ice cream cone for some reason. :what:

• Locked thread